snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Spook Central » Mayan Elder to world: Assume Crash Position!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mayan Elder to world: Assume Crash Position!
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From an e-mail I received:

quote:

Urgent Call From Carlos Barrios, Mayan Elder

by Mitch Battros - ECTV

I just got off the phone with Carlos Barrios, Mayan High Priest Elder. I should have known something was up when he left two messages in a short period. Unfortunately, I was not wrong.

I can only tell you this much as it was disclosed to me. But I have re-arranged my guest schedule to have Carlos on the show this Thursday October 13th “live” from Guatemala.

Carlos has told me he has convened with the Mayan high priest counsel to review the signs of recent events in part as outlined in the Mayan Calendar, and has prophesied possible future events. At this time, all I can say is what Carlos repeated to me several times stated below.

“First there was water, then there was air, then there will be dirt (earth), then there will come fire”. (Carlos Barrios)

I can tell only this much…Carlos said the water was the Indian Ocean tsunami, the air was Katrina/Rita, the earth or dirt is not only the recent Pakistan quake killing over 30,000 people, but more and larger to come. The fire will be the coming volcanoes; not one but many. The time period is not 2012 or 2007, it is “now” and will continue and escalate over the next 18 months.

Reminder and Disclaimer: Just because I speak of events with conviction and enthusiasm does not make it “the truth”, is simply makes it “my truth”. Although I have the utmost respect for our elders and top scientists in the world, I encourage you to follow “your truth”, not mine, theirs, or anyone else. It is more important now than ever before to use your gift of discernment. Seek and you shall find. Find what? Your truth.

As most of you know I have a great respect for Mayan and Hopi Elders and prophecy. Actually I have the same respect for all our ancestors and elders. So let me say that what I have stated above has been passed down to me out of a tremendous mutual respect. I have gained the trust, respect and integrity from our elders, and for this I am truly grateful. I also know I will take some heat for publishing this announcement from my modern scientist elders. For this too I am most humbled and share a mutual respect, trust and integrity of which I have gained from the most brilliant minds in the world.

From the very first day I began Earth Changes TV, I knew my journey was to bridge the gap between modern science (new), and ancient text (old). I cannot tell you how honored and humbled I feel in achieving this very delicate but most important mission. Most of you will never know the immense challenges and often hurtful engagements I have received from both sides. But I never lost sight of ECTV’s purpose and goal. The events of today, and the events which are coming, indicate my path is with purpose and meaning. As I say in my opening monolog with every single show: “Never before have the two worlds of science and ancient text joined together with such unity and precision, outlining a pathway of discovery.”

What you are about to hear this Thursday will affirm this very statement. Synchronicity plays its hand again. Perhaps it is no surprise I am writing a three part article on what I have learned from my interviews with Dr. Peter Olson, Geophysicist at Johns Hopkins University and Dr. Nicola Scafetta, Applied Physicist at Duke University. Yes, it is the Sun, but it is also the “core”…Earth’s core.

Here are the exact words used by Dr. Olson which tells me the cyclical magnetic pole reversal has already begun. “The focus of my research is to understand the dynamics of Earth’s interior, including both the mantle and the core. I am especially interested in how these two major parts of the Earth interact to produce plate tectonics, deep mantle plumes, and the geomagnetic field.” Dr. Olson also reported of ongoing surprising shifts off the coast of Brazil known as the South Atlantic Anomaly. A magnetic reversal is already occurring within the interior magnetic field between the core and mantle. Watch for Part II and III of my three part article on in the coming days

Summary: Dr. Olson’s study is of the Earth’s mantle and core as it relates to plate tectonics (earthquakes), deep mantle plumes (volcanoes), and geomagnetic field (Sun). Mayan Elder Carlos Barrios prophecy: “First there was water (tsunami), then there was air (hurricanes), then there will be dirt (earthquakes), then there will come fire (volcanoes)”. Mitch Battros - ECTV: “Never before have the two worlds of science and ancient text joined together with such unity and precision, outlining a pathway of discovery.”

Remember earthquakes may occur without notice, but volcanoes give plenty of notice, usually with a swarm of smaller earthquakes that gradually build over weeks or months. ECTV will be there every step of the way informing you with the most current and accurate news available.

No. We are not all going to die and the world is not coming to an end. However, change is certainly upon us just as it has been since the beginning of time. Yes, some will die and the Earth will look different. This occurred 100 years ago, 1000 years ago, one millennium ago. It is the rhythm of life and change.

Yes. It is prudent to have basic survival emergency equipment available. It is a good idea to review your preparedness list.

See Checklist: http://www.earthchangestv.com/survival/index.php#prepare

Thoughts?

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
timbobmc
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbobmc   E-mail timbobmc   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mayan Elder, huh? You'd think the mudslides in Guatamala would fulfill the "earth" part.

--------------------
Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen.

Posts: 536 | From: Gonzales, Louisiana | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The guy in the article did say that the eartquake was just the beginning...Perhaps the mudslide is part of it too. Idunno. I just found it interesting.

--------------------

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
:yawn:
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Was there really a point to that? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

BrianB
Happy Holly Days

Icon 303 posted      Profile for BrianB   E-mail BrianB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I found countless believer sites about Carlos Barrios but this entry on the Skeptic's Dictionary was the only rational one I could find on him. Also, his track record, unsurprisingly, does not seem to be very good.
quote:
They have told me between the period of August 16th and December 15th 2003, there is a strong potential for natural disasters on a "grand scale". A specific type, time (as in a particular day), or place was not given. What was said is it will take the form of earthquakes, volcanos, fires, and floods.
However, since there certainly were some earthquakes, volcanoes, fires, and floods during that period I'm sure he'll claim that as a success. [Roll Eyes]
Brian

--------------------
"Dear Big Foot Smellers: Please don't quote me on some of this information." John F. Winston

Posts: 1707 | From: Camarillo, CA | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RelicMan:

I wasn't yawning at you, RelicMan. I was yawning at the OP. Or, put another way: "Another apocalypse? :yawn:" I can't understand why anyone takes this kind of warning seriously.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
“First there was water, then there was air, then there will be dirt (earth), then there will come fire”. (Carlos Barrios)
Ladies and gentlemen, Carlos Barrios brings to Great Woods...Earth! Wind! and Fire!!!!!

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 99 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:

I wasn't yawning at you, RelicMan. I was yawning at the OP. Or, put another way: "Another apocalypse? :yawn:" I can't understand why anyone takes this kind of warning seriously.
Oh! I understand. Just to set the record straight, I don't nescesarily believe in what this guy is saying. I just thought it seemed interesting enough to share, is all.

--------------------

GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Katrina / Rita is kind of pathetic as a harbringer of doom. The Indian Ocean tsunami killed around 200,000 people. Katrina and Rita managed to kill about 1,000 people. Shouldn't the air disaster be at least close to the severity of the water one?

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

quote:
Oh! I understand. Just to set the record straight, I don't nescesarily believe in what this guy is saying. I just thought it seemed interesting enough to share, is all.

Thanks. I know that. The article is interesting and it's a cool post. I was a little short on time when I wrote that. (Obviously?) The apocalypse is interesting but this guys ravings don't seem very different from the man on the street with the sign "The End is Near!" So when the article starts talking seriously about preparations... I feel like... :yawn:
Nion
We Three Blings

Ah, that's much clearer. Yes, it seems that we're doomed to our own extinction every other day, doesn't it? The fun is finding all the various possible ways of the world going to pot that people are lobbing out there. Hehe.

--------------------

The Amazing Rando
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Amazing Rando   Author's Homepage   E-mail The Amazing Rando   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Earth? Fire? Wind? Water? All we need now is Heart and we'll have Captain Planet.

Why do so many people put so much stock in Mayan or Aztec things. Where did the idea that the Native Americans have some sort of supernatural knowledge about the earth come from?

Posts: 417 | From: Escondido, California | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Amazing Rando:
Where did the idea that the Native Americans have some sort of supernatural knowledge about the earth come from?

Noble savage.

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Everyday the paper boy brings more
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Everyday the paper boy brings more   Author's Homepage   E-mail Everyday the paper boy brings more   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this is my favorite line: "Reminder and Disclaimer: Just because I speak of events with conviction and enthusiasm does not make it “the truth”, is simply makes it “my truth”."

In other words, if nothing happens just remember that I never said it really would.

Posts: 82 | From: Dixon, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
dam9191
Deck the Malls

Icon 14 posted      Profile for dam9191   E-mail dam9191   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I'm going to find my truth...it's I'm tired of all the people saying it's the end of the world for the past 6 years or so.

I just heard 2 days ago something on the radio on how people believe it's the end of the world & many callers called in and stated how they see the biblical "signs".

[Does anyone recall Y2K...end of life as we know it...Look it's OK & we're still here.]

It's rather amazing to me that no one seems to realize that this type of gloom and doom talk historically happens during the turn of the century. For example, I've read some books by an author named Charles Brockton Brown. He wrote in the 1790s-early 1800s. He often wrote about supernatural things (such as sleepwalking & possession), because people were in a place of uncertainty. In that state of mind people are looking for answers.

Has anyone noticed the increase in sprituality on TV? The show about the Ghost Whisperer and another about the Medium who solves crimes. How is that any different from the Brockton Brown books two hundred years ago.

dam "...and I wrote that with 3 preschoolers running in circles in my living room..." 9191

--------------------
"There is no Heaven
So I can't believe in Room 19."
-Bob Geldof

Posts: 207 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Menolly
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Menolly   E-mail Menolly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, so I shouldn't have scrolled down while still laughing at Trish...only to get to Rando.

I just cleaned this keyboard off last week!!!

[lol]

--------------------
Let's just pretend we're normal for a minute ~ New favorite T-shirt quote

Posts: 1193 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
noreen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for noreen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can tell only this much…Carlos said the water was the Indian Ocean tsunami, the air was Katrina/Rita, the earth or dirt is not only the recent Pakistan quake killing over 30,000 people, but more and larger to come. The fire will be the coming volcanoes; not one but many. The time period is not 2012 or 2007, it is “now” and will continue and escalate over the next 18 months.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/10/AR2005101001168.html

On the last day of January 1906, that seismically dangerous year, an earthquake in Ecuador and Colombia of perhaps 8.8 magnitude on the Richter scale killed about 2,000. Sixteen days later there was a large Caribbean quake, followed five days later by one in the Caucasus, and on March 17 by one that killed 1,228 on the island of Formosa. On April 6 a 10-day eruption of the volcano Vesuvius began with rocks blown 40,000 feet into the air over Naples. Two days after Vesuvius subsided, San Francisco was knocked down, and 2,600 acres of it were then devoured by three days of fires. About 3,000 San Franciscans died then, four months before a Chilean quake killed 20,000.

--------------------
"No matter what kind of a twisted sexual mutant you happen to be, you've got millions of pals out there. Type in 'Find people that have sex with goats that are on fire' and the computer will say, 'Specify type of goat.'"

Posts: 1112 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

quote:
Originally posted by noreen:
I can tell only this much…Carlos said ...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/10/AR2005101001168.html

On the last day of January 1906, that seismically dangerous year, an earthquake in Ecuador and Colombia ...

Noreen, plese tell us what relationship you want to discuss between the predictions and what happened in 1906.

I don't see any connection except that they would both seem to be active seismic periods. 1906 may have been an active disaster year but I don't see any comparison to other years that would show that it actually was more disastrous than usual. Come to think of it, I don't see any proof, and I have never heard from geologists, that 1906 was particulary seismically active. (The strongest earthquakes and volcanic eruptions of the past 200 years came decades after or before 1906.)

Methos Divino
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methos Divino   Author's Homepage   E-mail Methos Divino   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In the words of George Carlin: "The Earth's not going anywhere, WE ARE!"

--------------------
"But, what does it do?"
"It doesn't DO anything, that's the beauty of it."

Posts: 70 | From: Puerto Rico | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Adelaide
Remembrances of Things Bass

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adelaide   E-mail Adelaide   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got the below email today, and I don't understand all the crystal and drumming stuff, but it seems to be a warning from someone in Anchorage that the volcano activity could be up here. This is not exactly news or unusual, as we are on the Rim of Fire.

Enjoy!

Greetings to all!

Last Thursday I participated in an event that I feel I would like to share with all who are interested.

Upon waking in the morning, I got a very clear message to take 4 citrine crystals and place them in the four directions of the Anchorage bowl area. They were to be programmed with the following 3 programs:

One-To recieve, transduce, and broadcast the cosmic frequencies that will transform consciousness, systems and structures for the co-creation and manifestation of Heaven on Earth.

Two-To amplify the regeneration grid and make it accessible to all who desire and are in alignment to use it for physical regeneration.

Three-To stabilize the collective emotional body while the new frequencies are being integrated.

And I made the intention that these programs would unfold in perfect divine timing and co-creation.

Two of us went out to place these crystals and we drummed at every site that the crystals were placed. The third site was right next to a transformer, and I had the most amazing experience there! When we first walked up to the area, both of us could hear the humming and feel the chaotic vibration of electrical transformers. We were kind of surprised that guidance was directing us right to this area. We went over and dug a little hole, placing the crystal just under the surface. Then we started to drum.

When the drumming was going, I felt the regeneration grid rise and expand and suddenly a new sound started to hum. It felt like the grid was merging with the electrical hum and together they were forming a whole new frequency! It was much more experiential than I can say, the sound was incredible! And the electricity did not go out or even blink (to my knowledge), which is not always the case.

We finished the fourth direction, then returned home. Both of us were really tired, as if we had done physical work all afternoon. When I checked in later, I was to complete the process with a short dowsing session in the medicine wheel with the intention of connecting from each of the points into the center of the wheel. The guides and nature spirits also suggested that I anchor an intention for protection for the Anchorage bowl area, and the frequencies that will transform consciousness from the belief in the need for protection.

Several days later I came into contact with a friend who remains in contact with indigenous elders around the world. He informed me that Carlos Barrios, a spokesman for the Mayan elders in an area of Centro-America, had sent out the following message. He acknowledged that we are now in the time of the great purification between the fourth world and the fifth world. During this time, the earth was to suffer great destruction in the form of all four elements, first water, then air, then earth, and then fire.

The Mayans of his area believe that the water event was the sunami in Thailand and Indonesia; the air event was the series of hurricanes on our gulf coast; the earth event was the major earthquake in Pakistan, and that the fire event is yet coming-and will be not one but a group of volcanoes that will erupt. They are now feeling that these events have accelerated the earth's cleansing process which will continue and gather intensity from now until 2007 (the old guideline was 2012 or 2013. This is an interesting shift from the past date).

For those of us desiring to bring peace, healing and renewal to the earth, this is a time to make choices that strengthen and support us and our families, that bring us closer to the beauty and abundance of natural life on this earth, and choices that nurture our spirits and who we are becoming. Hold the visions and images of the most beautiful, graceful, and harmonious solutions possible to every form of challenge that presents itself during this time. Do not compromise your belief and expectation of miracles. And do not be tempted into polarization.

Above all remember our connection to the many beings that are assisting through this transition. Our connection with them and with each other (whether near or far) is the substance of the web of life that is allowing the new blueprint to unfold.

Thank you all for being connected in our web of life!

--------------------
Natural selection is a beguiling counterfeiter of deliberate purpose. - Richard Dawkins

Posts: 620 | From: Alaska | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Everyday the paper boy brings more   Author's Homepage   E-mail Everyday the paper boy brings more   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Aren't volcanos a geological phenomenon, and wouldn't they therefore be part of the "earth" cycle instead of the "fire" cycle? Or am I trying to apply too much logic?
Posts: 82 | From: Dixon, CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ulkomaalainen
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ulkomaalainen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not condemn the consumption of THC once in a while, but whatever this guy had, the stuff is dangerous. Kids, don't do this at home, please.

Ulko "but it's divine timing so it's an act of God?" maalainen

--------------------
Movie characters never make typing mistakes.

Posts: 586 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Everyday the paper boy brings more:
Aren't volcanos a geological phenomenon, and wouldn't they therefore be part of the "earth" cycle instead of the "fire" cycle? Or am I trying to apply too much logic?

I think the fire part comes from the molten rock, well, catching things on fire. lol

Quite interestingly, I heard that a volcano DID erupt somewhere yesterday. I'm too lazy to go find where it was, however.

--------------------

hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe the earthquake in Pakistan was a two-fer:

Geologists to investigate volcano reports in Pakistan quake zone

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do I keep hearing that REM song in my head....

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Diana H
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diana H   E-mail Diana H   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While I don't take every doomsday prediction I hear seriously, it is clear that we live easily on this planet at its will.

Major earth changes happen. Ice sheets advance and retreat. Volcanoes blow. We tend to not worry about these things because our human life span is sooo short relative to geological time frames.

Human civilization is possible because we are in a time of relative climatological and geological stability. However, at some point the Yellowstone super volcano will blow again (it's 'due'); or the North Atlantic heat conveyor will stop and cause first great warming and then a catastrophic new ice age; and we really don’t know what happens during and after our magnetic poles shift—and they do and will; or the earth will be hit by something large from 'out there'. Any one of these events could end life on this planet.

To wake each day and assume a world as hospitable as yesterday is folly.

--------------------
Diana

Note to self: Don't mistake being dismissive for being right.

Posts: 111 | From: Beaumont, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Diana H:
...To wake each day and assume a world as hospitable as yesterday is folly.

I would have to disagree with your statement. Since there is very little we can do about almost all of these natural disasters, why worry? I will go about my life as usual, and if Yellowstone goes (or a asteroid hits, or the big one drops CA into the ocean, or a Democrat gets elected president...), then maybe I won't have to pay off my credit cards. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Diana H
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diana H   E-mail Diana H   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
quote:

I would have to disagree with your statement. Since there is very little we can do about almost all of these natural disasters, why worry? I will go about my life as usual, and if Yellowstone goes (or a asteroid hits, or the big one drops CA into the ocean, or a Democrat gets elected president...), then maybe I won't have to pay off my credit cards. [Smile]
I go on as well. I just don't take it for granted that the ground will always be steady under my feet; that I'll go to work as usual; that conditions in general will be much the way I've always experienced them.

I'm certainly not stockpiling cans of tuna. But, I do know how to make fire and I have some other skills and knowledge that I'll likely never have to use. I'm perhaps better prepared emotionally to face the unexpected than most people I know.

I'm also prepared to protect myself from the folks who would be walking around wondering 'WTF happened and who's responsible for me'.

--------------------
Diana

Note to self: Don't mistake being dismissive for being right.

Posts: 111 | From: Beaumont, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Adelaide
Remembrances of Things Bass

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adelaide   E-mail Adelaide   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Quite interestingly, I heard that a volcano DID erupt somewhere yesterday. I'm too lazy to go find where it was, however.

I believe it was the Galapagos.

--------------------
Natural selection is a beguiling counterfeiter of deliberate purpose. - Richard Dawkins

Posts: 620 | From: Alaska | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rexodus
Deck the Malls

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Rexodus     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug4.7:
quote:

I go on as well. I just don't take it for granted that the ground will always be steady under my feet; that I'll go to work as usual; that conditions in general will be much the way I've always experienced them.

I'm certainly not stockpiling cans of tuna. But, I do know how to make fire and I have some other skills and knowledge that I'll likely never have to use. I'm perhaps better prepared emotionally to face the unexpected than most people I know.

I'm also prepared to protect myself from the folks who would be walking around wondering 'WTF happened and who's responsible for me'.

This reminds me of one of my favorite, albeit obnoxious, things to nitpick: presume vs. assume. Although they're used interchangeably now, to presume originally meant to assert that something is true without complete evidence; to decide something without absolute certainty. (Since absolute certainty is impossible, you could say that we presume everything, including the physical condition of the world.) To assume, on the other hand, meant to acknowledge that not all evidence was in, but to act as though something were true; to suppose.

None of this really affects the debate at hand; I just love being nerdy about the distinction. I'll get out of the way now.

--------------------
"Your name is Thurmon Mermon?"

Posts: 244 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7

I guess the idea is to go about your life as normal, but try to act as if each day is your last. So if you want to say something sappy to your SO, do so and not wait until the next day as Yellowstone may change your plans...

Sorry if that got too glurgy.

--------------------

I Saw Three Shipments

"Look out! Overpopulation is going to cause massive famine and disease and we're all going to DIE DIE DIE DIE by 1980! AAAAHH!!!! Everybody PANIC NOW!!!"

Paul Erlich, 1966, "The Population Bomb".

This is about as serious as I can take any end of the world prediction.

Doug4.7

I just received this joke in the mail. Sorry if it has been posted before. It seems to fit this thread:
quote:
It was October and the Indians on a remote reservation asked their new Chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild. Since he was a Chief in a modern society, he had never been taught the old secrets.

When he looked at the sky, he couldn't tell what the winter was going to be like. Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect firewood to be prepared.

But being a practical leader, after several days he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, "Is the coming winter going to be cold?"

"It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold," the meteorologist at the weather service responded.

So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be prepared.

A week later he called the National Weather Service again. "Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?"

"Yes," the man at National Weather Service again replied, "it's going to be a very cold winter."

The Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find.

Two weeks later the Chief called the National Weather Service again.

"Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?"

"Absolutely," the man replied. "It's looking more and more like it is
going to be one of the coldest winters ever."

"How can you be so sure?" the Chief asked.

The weatherman replied, "The Indians are collecting firewood like crazy."

--------------------

Zeno's Paradox
Christmas in Kill Barney

Icon 214 posted      Profile for Zeno's Paradox   E-mail Zeno's Paradox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't call myself an expert, but AFAIK all the elements of the Mayan calendar system are cyclical - including, IIRC, the Long Count itself (hence the alternate name of "Great Circle"). For the ancient Mayans, AFAIK, nothing was supposed to happen at the end of the Long Count except the beginning of the next Long Count, just like we go back to January at the end of December every year.

IIRC the current Long Count (the one ending in 2012) began centuries before the rise of the classical Maya; but they believed that the current one was neither the first nor the last. So it seems as if Mr. Barrios is misinterpreting Mayan tradition perhaps to get media attention IMHO.

--------------------
Nie badz bezpieczny. Poeta pamieta
Mozesz go zabic - narodzi sie nowy.
Spisane beda czyny i rozmowy.

Posts: 10 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages