snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Glasses make you blind (Page 0)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Glasses make you blind
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've no idea whether it's true or not, but from my own experience I can offer the following insight.
As a youngster, I had perfect vision, but after five years of working in an office, preparing detailed documents under unguarded fluorescent lights, my eyesight deteriorated, and I needed glasses. Headaches mainly, were the precursor for the need.
Right through my late 20's and 30's my eyesight continuously deteriorated and the prescription was stronger every 2 years. A customer optician offered advice to improve my vision, which was to take the glasses off for periods, so that my eyes would exercise. I dismissed it as poppycock, but with the advent of fashionable smaller lenses over the past 10 years, a progression took place which may surprise you.
By virtue of wearing smaller lenses I now regularly 'look' over the lenses to view things, and often turn my head left or right instead of just looking sideways though my glasses lenses. Surprisingly my eyesight has continually improved so much so that my last three prescriptions lenses have been weaker. I could say "go figure" but this anecdotal evidence is enough for me to suggest that exercising your eyes does work to some degree.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I recall a couple of years ago there was a minor flurry of media attention on the idea that a series of eye exercises will help improve vision and that, for many people, glasses are a crutch which 'weakens' the eye-muscles since they made it easier. ( A bit like the idea that using a walking stick if you don't need it will cause you to have to use it in future). The makers of tabloid current affairs programmes got on the proponents of the system who trotted out anecdotal stories of clients who had thrown away their glasses forever by using the system. This had a sort of 'commonsense' appeal to the people who didn't want to have to buy glasses because of cost, vanity or convenience issues.

What the system boiled down to was a combination of eye exercises and positive affirmations. For people with marginal vision problems the affirmations may help where they want to believe it will. People have the capacity to deny almost everything that they really don't want to believe and vision is a big one.

I did a quick google search and came up with this site - (which is of course tainted by the conspiracy.) It talks about one such vision improvement scheme and the problems with it.

The issue your legal studies teacher needs to get to grips with is that the most common causes of vision loss have nothing to do with the effectiveness of the muscles - age related vision loss can be due to the lens losing flexibility (presbyopia) which means the muscles can't change it - not that the muscles are a problem themselves. Other causes such as macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma and cataracts and similarly unrelated to muscle function.

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From my experience:

I got glasses when I was in 4th or 5th grade. I was only supposed to use them when reading the chalkboard or watching a movie in class and watching t.v. at home.
Like others, I got lazy/forgetful and kept them on a lot, so my prescription did get stronger as the years went by.

However, the last time I got my eyes checked, they did get a little better for whatever reason.

I don't really wear my glasses as much as I do contacts now, which I think would be much worse as far as weakening my vision, so I don't know...

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
violetbon
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for violetbon   E-mail violetbon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ummm..... maybe peoples' eyesight gets worse over the course of 5 or 10 or 15 or 20 years because - - -gasp - - - their eyes are 5 or 10 or 15 or 20 years older? It happens to boobs, butts and tummys, why not eyeballs too?
Posts: 193 | From: Seymour, Indiana | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kev
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kev   E-mail Kev   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
People who need glasses to see things far away typically have Myopia which is a refractive defect in the eye that causes light image focus too far forward in the eye (in front of, instead of on the retina). It has nothing to do with the strength of the muscles. All glasses do is bend the light so that the combined optical power of the corrective lens and the eye matches the focal length of the eye.

The most common form of myopia is caused by the eye being elongated so as the eye grows the effect of the defect will be magnified causing people's vision to worsen as they age until their eye growth stabilizes, usually sometime in their twenties.

Unless the magnitude of the defect is very small and you don't require glasses until your eye growth has almost stabilized, chances are your eyesight is going to continue to get worse after you start wearing glasses, it's just the natural progression of the problem you already had that caused you to need glasses in the first place.

--------------------
Austin Stars Drum & Bugle Corps | Kev's MySpace

Posts: 1126 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
elfbunny
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for elfbunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I personally find this all too funny. I have worn glasses since I was in second grade. My vision does get a little worse every 3 years or so. But it has nothing to do with the muscles in my eyes. It has everything to do with the shape of the eye. A person with normal vision will have eyeballs in the shape of an O. My eyeballs (and my moms) are shaped like a football laying down. That is what causes the nearsitedness. The retena focuses the image in front of the back of the eye. Thus causing the image to be unclear. My son's fathers eyes are shaped like a footbal standing on end. This causes the image to be focused behind the eye. Thus causing the image to be unclear. Bad eye muscles can cause some problems, but most of them are caused by the shape of the eyeball itself.

ETA: My first Spanking! Thanks Kev, I enjoyed it.

--------------------
http://my.tupperware.com/ajd325

Posts: 78 | From: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by violetbon:
Ummm..... maybe peoples' eyesight gets worse over the course of 5 or 10 or 15 or 20 years because - - -gasp - - - their eyes are 5 or 10 or 15 or 20 years older? It happens to boobs, butts and tummys, why not eyeballs too?

As I said, this was not in my experience. I'm now 46 with better vision than at 36.

--------------------

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can "see" some flavor of truth to the matter. [lol]

For Joe Normal, when he looks at something, his eyes are producing XX amount of tension against his cornea and eye to focus.

Now, for no good reason, he begins to slowly lose his eyesight. His eyes now have to exert YY amount of tension to see clearly.

His eyes get worse, so now his eyes are tensioning at ZZ... and he begins to have eye strain and "tired" eyes.

Another six months, and he gets worse. Now, in addition to tired eyes from tensioning at AA', he gets headaches, maybe even migraines.

So he goes to Dr. Eyes and gets glasses.

Now, instead of his eyes staying uber-tight all the time, they can relax. When he takes off his glasses, his eyes are working at XX as they are used to that tension...

and he can't see crap.

He doesn't remember the tired eyes and headaches, and if he does he doesn't attribute the lack to the glasses.

Voila, the UL has been proven. It's WRONG, but if you look at it like that, it is proven.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jw:
quote:
Originally posted by violetbon:

As I said, this was not in my experience. I'm now 46 with better vision than at 36.
Was your initial vision problem myopia (nearsightedness)? I've been told by several optometrists that presbyopia, which tends to begin in the 40's, can have the effect of reversing the patient's myopia -- sometimes to the point that the patient no longer needs glasses for distance.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
Was your initial vision problem myopia (nearsightedness)? I've been told by several optometrists that presbyopia, which tends to begin in the 40's, can have the effect of reversing the patient's myopia -- sometimes to the point that the patient no longer needs glasses for distance.

Yes, it was myopia. I will have to ask if presbyopia is having the effect.
Certainly, something is.

--------------------

Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Kev is good, Kev is wise, with regard to myopia.

With regard to presbyopia, that involves a thickening of the lens so that the place where the image focuses on the lens moves... often improving vision, sometimes to the point of not needing glasses anymore, but it's not permanent.

However, that aside, just which muscles are supposed to be weakened... the ones that move the eyeball side to side and up and down, or the tiny little muscle fibers attached to the lens which stretch and relax so that a person's eye can adjust from distance vision to near vision?

If the first, I say "A pox on your silly UL." If the other, I still say, "Fie!" But that's just because it's simple common sense to me, the lack of which in others brings out the anachronistic language.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:

My audiologist has dealt with a good many patients who were utterly convinced that wearing hearing aids damaged their hearing. Of course, nothing of the kind is true -- what happens is that wearing hearing aids makes people aware (when they remove them) of how bad their non-aided hearing really is.

This is absolutely true. However, I have often wondered about poorly-fitted hearing aids that have that nasty high-pitched shriek. High-frequency sounds can do more damage to a person's hearing than low-frequency and I wonder if a person didn't notice the feedback howl and did nothing to correct it, if that might damage whatever residual hearing is left.

Of course, it seems unlikely, as the feedback would easily be noticed by people around them, one or two of whom might actually not feel weird about pointing it out, so, probably not... but I still wonder.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it matters what causes your poor vision. When I was 12, I started developing a vision problem. I didn't have farsightedness, I had normal eyes but I had an extremely hard time focusing on things that were close up. My eye doctor gave me some reading glasses but I also had to do some exercises to improve my eye strength. I mainly remember an exercise called tromboning where I had to move a card near and far from each eye like I was playing a trombone. My problem definately cleared up doing the exercises and I haven't had to wear glasses in over 15 years. Whenever I start having problems with my eyes I do a few eye exercises a day until it clears up.

Another anectodote for eye exericises, my cousin had a lazy eye when he was younger. He to wear a patch on his good eye and do exercises with his bad eye to fix it. For a while he had to wear a pretty thick corrective lens on his bad eye, but now as an adult he has excellent vision and doesn't need any correction.

But some people their poor vision is caused by their eye not being round or their lens being thicker in the middle or something. So even with their eye muscles working perfectly the light is not going to enter their eyes correctly with out glasses to fix it.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
OrsonWelles
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OrsonWelles   E-mail OrsonWelles       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From what has been seen here, it seems like most people get glasses when they are younger, so it doesnt seem relevant to say your eyesight worsens with age because most people are young when their eyesight worsens. Or does it? Maybe to go a bot O/T, but do your eyes worsen as soon as you are born, or is there an age drop off? Your eyes are at their peak at a certain time, or something like that.
Posts: 17 | From: Canberra, Australia | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
erwins
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for erwins   E-mail erwins   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have mild farsightedness. I can't focus on things that are very close. I have previously been prescribed reading glasses that I rarely used, (and my prescription has not changed in 20+ years). But, the last time I went to the eye doctor, he said that he would not give me a prescription for reading glasses, because my farsightedness was so mild. He said that my eyes were able to compensate with effort, and that it was better for me in the long run to continue to exercise them in this way. It would maintain my "natural" ability to correct my vision. So, now I have no reading glasses.

I think the idea is not so much that you can correct or prevent actual structural changes in your eye's ultimate abilities. But, to be able to be in the best position to take advantage of what you do have.

If you can do what you need to do without glasses, you're probably better off not wearing them, is the message I got.

Obviously, if you need glasses to function, then you're stuck with them.

erwins

Posts: 238 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had reading glasses when I was in school. When I went to a doctor in High School, it was the first time mom took me to a doctor not attached to a store like Pearle.

He said the most likely cause of my farsightedness was eye strain. He asked me how much I read. I admitted that I read a lot for fun as well as for school. He told me to use my glasses only when I couldn't focus at all and to try and take a break every 30 minutes from a book to rest my eyes. He also said that the problems would most likely clear up when I was out of school and didn't read as much. He was right. I don't even know where my old glasses are.

When I was younger I had a bit of a muscle imbalance and one of my eyes would dart off to the side when I tried to focus. The doctor gave me exercise for that to improve the strength in that eye. But it wasn't a book. I would close my right eye and do those trombone things Rhiandmoi mentioned. I alos was suppose to take a pencil or something thin and hold it out in front of my face and move it toward my nose untill my left eye twitched. Then to back it up and do it again tring to get further. I was told this was why I could never see those 3D images in those funny pictures.

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 206 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The most common form of myopia is caused by the eye being elongated so as the eye grows the effect of the defect will be magnified causing people's vision to worsen as they age until their eye growth stabilizes, usually sometime in their twenties.

This would be me. I started wearing glasses at eight, and my eyesight became progressively worse - including my left eye becoming worse than my right - until maybe about age 21. In the ten years since then, my prescription hasn't changed.

I not only have a significant degree of myopia (about -4 in my right eye and -6 in my left) but astigmatism, too. Nothing you could rectify by exercising your eye muscles.

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
I've been told by several optometrists that presbyopia, which tends to begin in the 40's, can have the effect of reversing the patient's myopia -- sometimes to the point that the patient no longer needs glasses for distance.

Very much true. For the last 10-15 years my eyesight has become better and better.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soft Hyphen
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soft Hyphen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One theory I heard regarding myopia is that focussing on near objects often causes your eyes to become myopic. I'm not sure what the exact mechanism is by which this happens, but it has to do with the ciliary muscles in the eye.

The general idea is that the eye "adjusts" its shape according to how the muscles work. If you strain the ciliary muscles, and the eye responds by elongating so that you don't have to strain so much, but this ruins your far vision.

If your eyes are already elongated, you want to avoid using the ciliary muscles as much as possible. If you wear glasses and do a lot of near vision work, you will be using the ciliary muscles, which is bad. If you toss the glasses, you might not be able to see far, but for near work your ciliary muscles will be more relaxed, so the eyes will not elongate any more. A happy compromise is to take off your glasses when doing any near work and only wear them when you need them to see distant objects (while driving, etc.)

At least that's the theory.

Posts: 78 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got glasses at 15 - and probably needed them for about a year before this. The problem with my eyes could be documented and measured by doctors - the growth rate of everything ocular was not equal and even during puberty. Even with super-human strength on the muscles, there was no way to focus correctly because of the lenses.

My prescription changed a lot in the first few years, as predicted by my opthamologist. My eyesight stopped changing once I was in my early 20's - also as predicted. I got contact lenses, and life was good. Then I got laser surgery, and life was even better.

I guess a lot of people will *believe* the whole "eyeglasses are a scam" thing because they suspect that once upon a time, before eyeglasses were widespread, people somehow managed to get by without them. Never mind that many people would never know that they *needed* reading glasses, because they couldn't read, but I'm fairly sure that people did "get by" without corrected vision - but probably had a hard time doing so.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm myopic and got glasses when I was about 12. I don't recall having any vision problems that required me to have glasses. We were on a family trip to Disney World and my father asked me to read a street sign for him. I didn't know what sign he was pointing at, so I said "What sign? Where?" He said "Just as I thought - you have trouble seeing. And you're squinting. We should have your eyes examined."

Despite my protests that I'd be able to read the sign perfectly if he'd just specified which one (and I was squinting from the sun), I had to go to the eye doctor and was diagnosed with a mild case of myopia. My prescriptions have always been light and at first I only had to wear my glasses to read the blackboard and overheads in school. For some reason I started wearing them all the time by 8th grade. My parents insisted that I wear them for reading, too, despite my protests (and the doctor's!) that it would make my eyesight worse.

Eventually I convinced my parents that I did NOT need to wear my glasses to see things nearby. In fact doing so made my eyes hurt. I guess they thought I was trying to rebel or something by not wearing my glasses all the time. My prescription has only slightly worsened in the 12 years I've had my glasses and I haven't had to get a new prescription in years.

I take my glasses off if I'm reading or examining anything about 18" or closer to me.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got glasses when I was five, and had needed them prior to that. When I went into Kindergarten, I was placed in about 6 or 7 rows back from the chalkboard. The school had done an eye screening, and I passed, so all was assumed well. However, I started having trouble with things that required chalkboard reading or long-range vision, and mom was convinced I was just being stubborn and refusing to work.

Eventually, the teacher suggested we check my eyes again and, voila, I was nearing legal blindness. I couldn't see the big "E" on the eye chart clearly, just a black blur. To pass the eye test, I had just listened to the kids in front of me and memorized the sequence. And I'd learned to cope with the eyesight as a kid (of course, you don't realize there is a problem at that age. You just assume noone can see five feet in front of their noses).

So, glasses it was, and contacts when I turned 12 (lack of perepheral vision was irritating me). So, now, I'm legally blind and, according to the eye docs, due to worsen until my early to mid thirties.

Then, if I can afford it, I can look into laser correction.

So, yeah. I certainly needed them, and I'm sure others do as well, even if they did weaken my eye muscles.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lainie: whether presbyopia "helps" your eyesight is quite dependent upon how bad your myopia is to begin with.

All presbyopia did for me was make me need bifocals, which I had managed to avoid until then (I can see approx. 4" without glasses).

I test out at 20-20 with my current glasses, and let me tell you, that was a real disappointment. I had for years been telling myself that my problems reading street signs at a distance and at night were due to my prescription being not quite right. But even with these glasses, I can't read street signs from as far away as I'd like or at night. [Frown]

Because of the extreme shape of my eyeball, I'm at real risk for a detached retina. Plus, because I get migraines, there's always the chance I will miss the warning signs of a detached retina (that happened to my brother). So I have twice been sent to a specialist by my regular eye-doctor. The specialist told me my eyes were beautiful. [Big Grin] Of course, he was looking at the insides at the time.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a similar situation to Seaboe's. I've been myopic since the age of 14 or so, and my myopia continued to become more severe as I got older, eventually stabilizing by the time I got to college. My myopia perscription hasn't changed in 25 years, but now I have worsening presbyopia, which necessitates bifocals (now on my second perscription, and this one is no longer as good as it needs to be).

I can read without any prescription at all if I hold the text about 10 inches away or closer, and for reading for extended periods of time (such as a book) I actually prefer it that way. However, I can't read at all if I use my monofocal (myopia-only corrected) glasses unless I hold the book farther away than arm's-length. If I didn't have to do so much intermediate- distance work (such as benchwork, which is roughly at arm's length or slightly closer), I'd be tempted to just use monofocal glasses only and take them off when I have to read.

Note that presbyopia is not the same thing as hyperopia (farsightedness), which is why aging may not necessarily "correct" myopia (nearsightedness). The wiki articles I linked to above give pretty decent summaries of those conditions, and also illustrate that we're not exactly sure what causes myopia.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lioness
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lioness         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had glasses for a while as a child because of strabismus, or lazy eye in my left eye, as that was how it was treated before laser surgery. Eventually, the eye doctor realized that my vision was 20/20 and that the glasses weren't necessary anymore.

I only started wearing glasses again in college because I realized that I was having problems reading the notes on the blackboard in the lecture halls. Everyone in my family has the same problem, so it wasn't surprising to anyone when I made the appointment to see the eye doctor for glasses. When I have the money, I'm getting the Lasik surgery as everyone I know who had it done to correct the vision problems with distance doesn't regret it, including one of my uncles.

Posts: 223 | From: Long Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
OptimusShr
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OptimusShr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got glasses about ten years ago. They got progressively worse for a little while but when they both hit -8.5 they stopped.
Posts: 104 | From: Peabody, MA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Megan'sMom
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Megan'sMom   E-mail Megan'sMom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
More anecdotal "evidence"... I got glasses for myopia when I was 10. I was told I needed them for seeing the board at school, watching tv, and later for driving. Basically, if I wanted to see anything more than about 2 feet in front of me. My prescription got progressively stronger as I grew up. When I was pregnant with DD I started getting opthalmic migraines (visual disturbances but, thankfully, no headaches) which my OB misdiagnosed but that's a rant for a different time and place. About 2 years ago, I went back to the optometrist to get my eyes checked because I was starting to get eyestrain headaches while wearing my glasses. He told me my vision had improved, but still gave me new glasses. He also referred me to an opthamologist for the migraines. When the opthamologist tested my vision he said I didn't need the glasses at all. I told him I had worn glasses since I was 10. He said "Children are often over-corrected." I haven't worn glasses since and my vision has remained 20/20. YMMV.

--------------------
Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of --
but do it in private, and wash your hands afterwards.

- Lazarus Long

Posts: 300 | From: Waldorf, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 102 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
On a related note, I've heard (but don't believe and never have) that the more you wear glasses, the more dependent you become on those glasses. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Guys, could you use a biggesr font? I have been wearing glasses for 30 years.

I can understand how you (generic you) could get dependant on being able to see clearly. With glasses, my vision is fair but I would always like higher resolution eyes :-) Without them, computers are largely unusable.

Blues

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lunasa
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lunasa   E-mail Lunasa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
He says that "everyone" knows if you wear glasses they weaken your eye muscles and make your eye sight even worse and its the biggest scam of the century.
Even if that were true, what's the alternative? Walking around with uncorrected sub-standard vision, happy in the knowledge that even if you can't see too well, at least your vision won't get any worse?
There are an awful lot of people who do this. I know quite a few who have glasses, but won't wear them regularly because they think their vision will get worse as a result. They often can't recognise people who wave at them, or wave at people they don't actually know.

In my experience, I got glasses at around 11, and the perscription hasn't changed more than a smidge in the last 18 years... although I have developed a mild astigmatism in the last 6 or so. I'm still scared of laser surgery, so I'll keep them for a while longer!

--------------------
"England and America are two countries divided by a common language." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 555 | From: Ireland | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soft Hyphen
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soft Hyphen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lunasa:
They often can't recognise people who wave at them, or wave at people they don't actually know.

I do that anyway. Are you saying that's not normal? [Confused]
Posts: 78 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lioness:
I had glasses for a while as a child because of strabismus, or lazy eye in my left eye, as that was how it was treated before laser surgery.

Strabismus and lazy eyes are not the same thing at all. If you were successfully treated with glasses which you don't have to wear any longer, you must not have had a lazy eye. The condition known as lazy eye is called amblyopia and refers to reduced vision which cannot be cured ('cured' being 20/20 vision) by glasses or contacts. Often there is no physical deviation of the eye at all with this condition, so it's not always noticeable outside of a full eye exam. Amblyopia can be treated with some success if caught early, but after about the age of 17 it is much more difficult to achieve any improvement the eyesight.

The confusion comes because strabismus (also known as wandering eye, walleye, crossed eye) may lead to amblyopia, but they are not the same thing. Strabismus is a muscle problem which does not necessarily affect the vision and can be treated with special lenses, exercises, patching, or surgery depending on the type and degree. Typically, only constant unilateral strabismus (where one eye always turns the same way all the time) may lead to amblyopia; intermittent strabismus, where the eye only turns sometimes, almost never leads to amblyopia. Unlike lazy eyes, strabismus responds to treatment at any age.

Surgery is a last resort to correct a more extreme muscle imbalance when glasses, exercises, and patches fail, and it can often take multiple surgeries to get right. I hadn't heard that they'd developed laser surgery for strabismus. The last I heard, it was old fashioned scalpel surgery that goes in to play around with the extraocular eye muscles to achieve the proper alignment for binocular vision.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lunasa
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lunasa   E-mail Lunasa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Soft Hyphen:
quote:
Originally posted by Lunasa:
They often can't recognise people who wave at them, or wave at people they don't actually know.

I do that anyway. Are you saying that's not normal? [Confused]
I've done it too, but these people do it on a daily basis. I have some friends I have to be standing within a few feet of before they recognise me, because they refuse to wear glasses.

--------------------
"England and America are two countries divided by a common language." - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 555 | From: Ireland | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was pleased to read Kev;s post earlier in the thread because it about sums up my understanding of myopia, and my own experience (which I will add to the heap of anecdotes).

I first got glasses when I was about 7. I don't remember what led to my first appointment with the optician, although I do remember not being able to read the board in class (and this was because I was a good child and consequently allowed to sit in the back row - naughty children had to sit under the teacher's nose!). I also remember not being able to see the white horses out to sea on a family holiday.

I'm short sighted to the tune of -5.25 and -7.00, and I would feel distinctly unsafe wandering about without my glasses. I realise that this is partly due to the effect of being used to good vision, but I think if I were out wandering in town I would stand a significant risk of being run over, or not being able to read warning signs. I don't know if there are any nice exercises that would help this!

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ica171
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ica171   E-mail ica171   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I first got glasses when I was 8 or thereabouts. I wore them for probably five or six years, and then for some reason stopped. I don't remember exactly why; I think it was making my eyes hurt more to wear them than it was to not wear them. At my next eye appointment, the dr said that my eyes had gotten to the point that I had one eye with pretty bad vision and one eye with perfect vision, and they started equaling each other out so that I had "average" vision. Whatever, it works for me.

ETA: I remember there being an article or something about the eye exercises in a woman's magazine maybe five years ago. It had exercises similar to what was described above. The only one I remember is that you close your eyes and look at a bare lightbulb for something like 10 seconds. The logic, I think was that your eyes would try and focus on the light coming through your eyelids and the muscles would therefore become strengthened.

Posts: 384 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages