snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Being buried face down... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Being buried face down...
Remarkgullabull
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Remarkgullabull     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I just want to know, who defined heaven as being "up" and hell as being "down".....

When my life is over and my time has come to pass, I hope they bury me upside down so the world can kiss my ass!

--------------------
Love does not consist of gazing at each other, but in looking together in the same direction - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Posts: 1961 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Meh. Everyone knows that we're already dead, we were really good, and this is the afterlife. The proof of this is that there is so much to drink and to fight and to steal. And you don't "die", you get born and have to go back to living.

Blushing "Crivens!" Bride

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Remarkgullabull:
I just want to know, who defined heaven as being "up" and hell as being "down".....

When my life is over and my time has come to pass, I hope they bury me upside down so the world can kiss my ass!

[Big Grin]

this has been answered earlier in the thread. The ancient Greeks believed the god Hades' Kingdom of the Dead was underneath the Earth. Hades himself was not considered an evil god, but he was feared because he also was supposed to punish the worst evildoers and the ones who had offended the gods. Later on, the Christians hijacked the greek and roman mythology and associated Hades with Satan, and his kingdom as a place of eternal torment.

As for Heaven, the Greeks and Romans believed the Righteous and Virtuous would go to the Elysian Fields, which were not situated in the skies (in fact it was the Kingdom of the Dead's VIP lounge), but as the *really* greatest Heroes sometimes became deities and rose to Mount Olympus (or Zeus/Jupiter placing constellations in the sky to honor them), the origin of Heaven being "up there" is also obvious.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you really want to know about the differences between heaven and hell you should read Job: a comedy of justice by Robert A. Heinlein.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you really want to know about the differences between heaven and hell you should read Job: a comedy of justice by Robert A. Heinlein.
Or just read it because it's a good book.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that Greek mythology did allocate a part of Hades for punishment of the truly wicked-Tartarus.
Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
skeptic
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skeptic         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phaedra:
A quote from the British archaeology magazine. (March 2003) had the following to say about face down burials.

quote:
A substantial minority of burials, however, show a different and darker attitude to corpses. These rough burials are often written off as 'careless', but the patterns are too consistent across Roman Britain for simple negligence to be the explanation. These disturbing burials include bodies that are dismembered, mutilated, bound, buried face down, decapitated, with signs of violence other than warfare, or with evidence for defleshing and exposure. The two most common variants are prone (face-down) and decapitated burials.
This practice may suggest a belief in an afterlife and a motive to punish beyond death.

ETA comment.

Posthumous punishment happened much later than Roman times. Several of the regicides of King Charles 1st suffered similar treatment and were hung drawn and quartered, in some cases years after their deaths (late 1600s). Oliver Cromwell was one of them. Of course, some had this treatment to kill them.
I am descended from one of the "repentant regicides" who died in prison.

--------------------
I like free speech. It lets me know who the idiots are.

Posts: 407 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ConstableDorfl
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ConstableDorfl     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brandi:
The only thing I'd ever heard regarding face-down burial was that if it was thought that the dead person was a candidate for coming back from the dead as a vampire or revenant (due to any number of really odd factors ranging from being a sorceror to accidents of birth), they might be buried face-down so that they would dig themselves deeper if they woke up.

Song by the late, great Jake Thackray, based on a north of England legend:-

http://www.jakethackray.com/content/view/71/27/

--------------------
"Ignore the shooty dog thing"

Posts: 49 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages