snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Being buried face down... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Being buried face down...
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously there isn't a way to "prove" this but has anyone else been told this? My husband was told that if you are buried face down you go straight to hell. I even asked what if you die face down? He said NO- buried

ETA: I HATE when words look weird! I keep saying "berried" or is it "burried"(like hurry) AHHHH!!

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why would this matter? Doesn't the soul leave at the moment of death? Why would it hang around and wait until your body has been buried?

What if they bury you face up and you go to heaven, then they exhume your body and bury you face-down? Are you evicted from heaven and then go to hell? Or if you are in hell from being buried face down, can they exhume you and bury you face up so you go to heaven?

What about cremation? Do you have to be cremated face up or go to hell?

What happens if your body isn't buried? If you drown in the ocean and your body settles face down, do you go to hell? What if you are buried sideways, do you go to Purgatory?

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This reminds me of a teaser I heard last week.
If I'm looking up at the sun and at the same time someone in Australia is looking up at the moon, who's looking up? and who's looking down? [Big Grin]

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Vanilla Gorilla
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Vanilla Gorilla   E-mail The Vanilla Gorilla   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't there some Vampire lore that a suspected vampire would be buried face down so that if they awoke that they would start digging downwards?
Posts: 46 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Orac

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orac   E-mail Orac   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
/hijack This question reminds me of something odd I was told. Catholics (supposedly) believe that if your body is cremated you go to hell. That led me to ask what if you died in a fire and your body was cremated? /end hijack
Posts: 32 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are several ways to pursue this line of thought, first and foremost being:

--Just who has come back from hell to warn us to avoid upside-down burials? Presuming that the afterlife is the final pit-stop in existence, just how would that information make it back to us poor slobs on earth?

--Heaven and Hell are metaphysical locations, not actual places you could get to by either digging deep enough or pointing a space shuttle in the right direction. So, I don't think that really matters either.

--If there is an afterlife where one is judged on their deeds and misdeeds, there would have to be enough sense behind the setup so that it it wasn't governed by GRAVITY.

--A burial is a ceremony (usually religious) involving invocations and consecrated ground and all of that. I find it hard to believe that with all the "go to Heaven" type of well-wishing that is involved, an upside-down oopsie would foul the whole thing up.

--I guess, then, that he doesn't find it funny, the folks who have said, "When I die, I want to be buried face down so the whole world can kiss my ass."

(BTW: I have heard both pronunciations used, however, "berried" seems to be the more popular of the two. Yes, it looks weird sometimes. [Smile] )

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Orac:
/hijack This question reminds me of something odd I was told. Catholics (supposedly) believe that if your body is cremated you go to hell. That led me to ask what if you died in a fire and your body was cremated? /end hijack

I thought that the explanation was that during rapture "the dead will rise into Christ". Kind of hard for the dead to rise if their bodies are burned away

I could be wrong though

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Fourth Man
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Fourth Man   E-mail The Fourth Man   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

According to this source, the Catholic Church no longer forbids cremation.

--------------------
If you keep trying, you'll eventually succeed. Therefore, the more you fail, the higher your chances of success.
-- Jacques Rouxel, 1931-2004 RIP :(

Posts: 406 | From: Paris, France | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My guess is that it's not so much "going to hell" but "being in trouble on Judgement Day", what with bodily resurrection and all. It could have evolved from "this might be a problem" to "going to hell". For cremation, the problem is obvious. For being buried face down, however... I dunno. Maybe the image of all those bodies rising for final judgement rear end first just isn't dignified enough for the occasion. [Big Grin]
Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Catholic church has allowed cremation since 1963, but still maintains that human remains are sacred, and as such, must be interred in consecrated ground. No spreading of ashes is allowed.

The specific phrase, I believe, in the Nicene creed, is that one believes in the "resurrection of the body". Considering that the church had, for centuries, supported the subdivision of human remains as holy relics, and even allowed the burial of the heart separate from the body, it seemed like a weak argument. Many people die and their bodies suffer horrible trauma. Think only of those who die in fire, or are buried at sea, only to be consumed by sea animals.

What is actually done with human remains is not necessarily held against the soul of the dead, but rather, would be held against those who did it. If one makes arrangements to have their ashes scattered, then it would be against Catholic teaching, but it would be a greater sin to go against someone's wishes of a proper Catholic burial.

In other words, how you are buried - face up or down - is not really a problem.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mizzie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mizzie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Maybe the image of all those bodies rising for final judgement rear end first just isn't dignified enough for the occasion
[lol] That's the funniest mental image I've had in a long time! Thanks for the laugh. ^_^
Posts: 41 | From: Baxter, MN | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NZUL
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NZUL     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:
[QB]--Just who has come back from hell to warn us to avoid upside-down burials? Presuming that the afterlife is the final pit-stop in existence, just how would that information make it back to us poor slobs on earth?

Presumably if this actually is gained knowledge somehow, it is gained in much the same way that we know of the supposed 'heaven' and 'hell' in the first place. This argument only holds water if you claim there is no information (right or wrong) in the human sphere of knowledge about what happens after death - because, you know, nobody's come back to tell us.

quote:
Isn't there some Vampire lore that a suspected vampire would be buried face down so that if they awoke that they would start digging downwards?
Because gravity doesn't work underground and they can't tell which way is up?

--------------------
"We don't keep a certified whale-vomit expert on staff." - Larry Penny, Director, Natural Resources Department, Town of East Hampton

Posts: 377 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are religious enough to believe in heaven and hell, you sure don't hold your god in high regard if you think the sorting criteria is which way you face when you are buried.

Besides, everybody knows that you go to Valhalla when you die.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:

Only those who die in battle. The rest go to Hel.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no cite, but I seem to remember that being buried face down was a common 'after death punishment' for supposed witches (this would go for vampires, as well) - same as being buried outside sacred grounds or not being buried at all (ashes shattered in the winds).

I'll try to find a cite.

Don "bottoms up!" Enrico

ETA:
Vampires in New Orleans
quote:
... you would take steps to prevent the corpse from returning from the dead. Commonly used procedures would include burying the corpse face down, ...
Roman burials in Derby, UK
quote:
One particular grave site, containing both inhumations and cremations, had unusual features: several of the interments had been mutilated prior to or whilst being buried; the left hand of one had been severed; others had been decapitated and in several cases the heads had been placed between the knees; two others had been buried face down.
The reason for these strange rites at the time of burial perhaps dates back to an old superstitious belief concerning witches and dark sorcery. When a dead person was believed to have been a witch or black magician, or in any way connected with magic and witchcraft, it was the custom to bury them face down or remove their head in order that they should not rise from the grave and haunt the living.

Apparently, it's an old tradition.

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Floater:
quote:

And then the ancient Greeks held that everyone who died went to the same place (Hades) unless you were REALLY awesome or REALLY virtuous or just REALLY super cool, and then you would to to the Elysian Fields. And even then, Hades wasn't Hell, per se, in that it wasn't a land of eternal doom and punishment and pain. It was just the place you went where you died. Sounds quite boring.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Unless they drowned.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A quote from the British archaeology magazine. (March 2003) had the following to say about face down burials.

quote:
A substantial minority of burials, however, show a different and darker attitude to corpses. These rough burials are often written off as 'careless', but the patterns are too consistent across Roman Britain for simple negligence to be the explanation. These disturbing burials include bodies that are dismembered, mutilated, bound, buried face down, decapitated, with signs of violence other than warfare, or with evidence for defleshing and exposure. The two most common variants are prone (face-down) and decapitated burials.
This practice may suggest a belief in an afterlife and a motive to punish beyond death.

ETA comment.

Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And even then, Hades wasn't Hell, per se, in that it wasn't a land of eternal doom and punishment and pain. It was just the place you went where you died. Sounds quite boring.

Neither was Hel. It was just a dark gloomy shadowland where nothing really happened.

--------------------

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana

quote:
quote:
And even then, Hades wasn't Hell, per se, in that it wasn't a land of eternal doom and punishment and pain. It was just the place you went where you died. Sounds quite boring.

Neither was Hel. It was just a dark gloomy shadowland where nothing really happened.
Good to know. My knowledge about the old Norse gods is very limited. I learned something new! [Smile]

--------------------

Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

You mean: like Sweden?

*ducks and runs for cover*

[Wink]

Don Enrico

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhea
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhea     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[lol]

You took the words right out of my mouth, Don Enrico.

Rh"Great Minds think alike"ea

Posts: 1201 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yeah, but weaklings who are too scared to die in battle don't count.

quote:
You mean: like Sweden?

*ducks and runs for cover*

No need to run, it's an accurate description (and we'll find you anyway).

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only thing I'd ever heard regarding face-down burial was that if it was thought that the dead person was a candidate for coming back from the dead as a vampire or revenant (due to any number of really odd factors ranging from being a sorceror to accidents of birth), they might be buried face-down so that they would dig themselves deeper if they woke up.
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Little Pink Pill
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Little Pink Pill     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If you are religious enough to believe in heaven and hell, you sure don't hold your god in high regard if you think the sorting criteria is which way you face when you are buried.

And it seems to me that if you're religious enough to believe God can raise you from the dead, you'd have the faith to believe he can sort your ashes.

--------------------
The technical term is narcissism. You can't believe everything is your fault unless you also believe you're all powerful.--House

Posts: 2684 | From: Budapest | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nion
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nion         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[Glurgy]

So it was that all those cremated lifted their ashes in unison, frothing to an fro.

LO! They lifted themselves unto heaven, ever creating a roiling miasma of smoke and ash, wrapping themselves about almighty God in an everlasting embrace.

[/Glurgy]

Feel . . . so . . . DIRTY . . .

--------------------
It can't rain all the time.

Posts: 1102 | From: Iowa | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Catholic church teaches that when the dead will rise on Judgment Day, they will get a new, glorious and immortal body. So, logically, the state of the corpse doesn't matter that much, as long as it had a proper burial (or prayers were said for the dead in case the body could not be retreived).

As for when this will happen...

Pope John XXII (1249-1316) had a strange but logical theory : He said that the dead wouldn't see or feel the presence of God (beatific vision) until Judgment Day.
Hence, considering that no one has been judged by God yet, the dead will stay dead - *Heaven and Hell remaining empty* until Judgment Day.

Of course, the Church wasn't pleased. Telling the people they could wait quietly for the End of Days instead of going straight to Heaven or Hell was giving up their most powerful psychological tool, and made the existence of saints (whose cult was - and still is - the Churches main source of income) highly questionable.

Pope or not, John XXII had to back off under the pressure of his own clergy, and this interesting idea was promptly dismissed as heretical after his demise.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 303 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Major D. Saster:

As for when this will happen...

Pope John XXII (1249-1316) had a strange but logical theory : He said that the dead wouldn't see or feel the presence of God (beatific vision) until Judgment Day.
Hence, considering that no one has been judged by God yet, the dead will stay dead - *Heaven and Hell remaining empty* until Judgment Day.

Ehr, isn't that the general idea of the Christian faith? At least this is what the (lutheran) Church of Sweden teaches if I remember correctly (I left the church thirty years ago and haven't returned since).

--------------------

Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Basically yes, Floater, but most Christians I know (both catholic and protestant) rather believe in some sort of "instant judgment" with the souls of the dead being sent to the place that fits their actions at once.

Theologically, it's wrong, but that's the popular vision. For a (former) Calvinist like me, it's even more wrong, as you can't be saved by your deeds, but by God's grace only (so I was told, at least). Judgment Day being some terrible event in a distant future too scary to think of, nobody being sure to be saved.

Besides, if the judgment takes place after the End of Days, so there must be no saints to pray to yet. Something very difficult to accept, especially for the catholics - and a many protestants who kept a certain affection for the main saints as well.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Orac

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orac   E-mail Orac   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Pink Pill:
quote:

And it seems to me that if you're religious enough to believe God can raise you from the dead, you'd have the faith to believe he can sort your ashes.
Kinda what I thought. I mean, it's not like EVERY body of EVERY person is still in the ground somewhere. Most decomposed and turned into plant fodder. That whole "circle of life thing" that Mufasa kept going on about.
Posts: 32 | From: Dallas, TX | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

quote:
If anything, it would probably be the guy who buried someone face down in hope of making them end up in hell who would be likely to go that way.

--------------------
/Troberg

Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't seem to be any more ridiculous than a Deity who would send someone there just because he didn't believe in It. Just as arbitrary, to me at least.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

quote:
Doesn't seem to be any more ridiculous than a Deity who would send someone there just because he didn't believe in It. Just as arbitrary, to me at least.
Or for procreating without performing a specific ritual first.

--------------------
/Troberg

Angel With Wax Wings
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Angel With Wax Wings   E-mail Angel With Wax Wings   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm converting to Catholicism and we actually went over this topic, no you WON'T go to hell if you are cremated, the nun Sister Marie, told us this. As long as your ashes are treated respectfully or spread somewhere you won't go to hell....just don't throw the urn in a box and shove it in the attic. I'm not being cremated anyway I'm donating my body to science!

~Monica

--------------------
"Run for five minutes? Why don't you just shoot me now?"--Comic Book Guy (Simpsons)

Posts: 219 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
annabohly
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annabohly   E-mail annabohly   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So the action of how someone treats your ashes can send you to hell???

--------------------
And always remember....when life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over !!!!!

Posts: 521 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages