snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Testing diamonds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Testing diamonds
gerilicious
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 05 posted      Profile for gerilicious   E-mail gerilicious   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it true that if you set a real diamond (flat side down) on a mirror and tip the mirror sideways and it sticks to the mirror, does it really mean that it is real.....or how can you tell if a diamond is real???

--------------------
Geri Johnson

Posts: 1 | From: Carson, CA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Page Three
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Page Three     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Try the list here.
It doesn't list the method you mentioned, and to be honest, I don't see how it could possibly work -- why should a diamond stick to a mirror?

Ultimately, the only way to know for sure is to have a professional do an appraisal.

Posts: 315 | From: Berlin, Germany | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard that about diamonds before. I've never had a loose one just laying around I could try that with either. But how jewelers judge whether diamonds are real is the same way they determine how any other gem is real, and how much it's worth: by the clarity, color, cut, quality, carat, ect. Not something a layperson could figure out by a simple test.
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Rub the diamond against your teeth. If it feels rough, then the diamond is real.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
Rub the diamond against your teeth. If it feels rough, then the diamond is real.

A real pearl at least. [Wink]

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:

And if it's smooth, does that mean the diamond is fake or that your teeth are?

Seaboe, whose teeth are.

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The easiest way to test a diamond is to set fire to it. It will burn at around 800 degrees Celcius with a bright flame, fakes don't burn.

Of course, if you are not into it for the knowledge, other tests may be more suitable.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Easy, just take it to my x-ray diffractometer and check out the pattern. [Smile]

If you don't work in a materials lab, I think you could use the Archimedes route and at least figure out if it's diamond or cubic zirconia. Diamond has a specific gravity of 3.5 while CZ is way up at 5.6 to 6.0.

The easiest way is to just ask the dealer whether or not the gem is in fact a profoundly overpriced run-of-the-mill stone for which an entire village was macheted to death to ensure its artificial value through supply and price control. If the answer is no, be careful, it might be fake.

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 99 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The easiest way is to just ask the dealer whether or not the gem is in fact a profoundly overpriced run-of-the-mill stone for which an entire village was macheted to death to ensure its artificial value through supply and price control. If the answer is no, be careful, it might be fake.
YOMANK, Finite. Bravo, even.

Ali "Bad News de Beers" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Slightly off topic, but on CSI Miami last night they identified a stolen diamond because a miniature serial number had been etched onto it using a laser. This was supposed to be standard practice for diamonds. Is this for real?

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WonkoTheSane
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WonkoTheSane     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
'Tis. You can have it done for an extra fee when you buy a diamond from the big box outlets (Zales, etc.). Dunno about it being standard practice, but it is available.

Wonko

--------------------
"It seemed to me that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks, was no longer a civilzation in which I could live and stay sane."

Posts: 1462 | From: Outside the Asylum (Massachusetts) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DevilBunny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DevilBunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a diamond if you can scratch a sapphire or ruby with it.

...you do have a few expendable sapphires and rubies lying about, right?

--------------------
"For God has seven thousand names, and one of them is bastard"

Posts: 420 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I found a diamond ring in my yard while digging. I just took it with me the next time I went to the shopping mall and stopped by a jewler. They changed me nothing to check the diamonds this one of those electronic testers.

BTW, the large .5 ct center stone was real and the little stones around it were CZ.

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages