snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Sugar clots blood when the mouth is cut?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sugar clots blood when the mouth is cut?
Tia
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 216 posted      Profile for Tia   E-mail Tia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was shopping in Matelans yesterday when I heard an almighty thump, swiftly followed by the sound of a small child screaming. Turns out a little girl had fallen off a stool in the changing room and put her big new tooth through her lip. Blood everywhere, mayhem mayhem.

In the midst of this the changing room attendant called downstairs for a wet spoon covered in sugar, which she told the child to suck to stop the bleeding. The other staff standing around all seemed to think this was a perfectly normal thing to do, and concentrated on telling the mother how the sugar clots the blood.

I've never heard this before. Did a search but couldn't find anything. Now I can see how the pressure of a spoon held against the cut might help to slow the bleeding, I can see how a cold spoon might be comforting and I can see how a sugar cube might help to dry the tears. But sugar to clot the blood?

Is there any truth in this? Has anyone else come across it?

Tia

Posts: 12 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The sugar wouldn't clot the blood, but the mix of blood and sugar might create a sort of artificial scab.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
tweetilynn
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tweetilynn   E-mail tweetilynn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did a search with sugar + stops bleeding and came up with a couple of blogs that say it works. One was a blog called Lil duck duck. Wonder if it's "our" Little Duck?

--------------------
LOVE: the condition in which the welfare and happiness of another become essential to your own.
-Jubal Harshaw

Posts: 89 | From: Eagle Rock, Virginia | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Waby

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Waby   E-mail Waby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh. My. God.

I always knew there was something weird about the staff at Matalan. Now I know that they all did their first aid training at Dr Nick Riviera's School of Medicine.

I can see how shortly all ER staff will chuck out there antiseptic wipes, plasters and stitches in favour of spoons and sugar.
And personally i will feel safe in the knowledge when that happens, you know, just in case.....

Posts: 7 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Toys for big boys.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toys for big boys.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wouldnt the sugar "mop up" the blood?

Or are the biology text books wrong.

--------------------
I am not taking lectures on physics from a man in tights.

Posts: 236 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Waby

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Waby   E-mail Waby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Toys for big boys - You show me where biology text books say that!

If that was the case wouldnt hospitals be filled with sugar and not medical supplies?

Posts: 7 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Waby:
Toys for big boys - You show me where biology text books say that!

If that was the case wouldnt hospitals be filled with sugar and not medical supplies?

But Tia wasn't at a hospital, and I doubt Matalan's is filled with medical supplies.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sugar is very absorbant and I guess it might soak up blood. In quanity it can be antibacterial because it dries out the little buggers. It can be used to cure meat (cure as in perserve not heal LOL). I've not heard of being used in this way however.

I wonder if they are confusing it with honey which has a long tradition of use as a wound dressing. I recently searched medical literatue on honey and there was a bunch of recent research on it's use on wounds. Maybe because of the botulism risk of honey and young children they substituted sugar.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aud:
It can be used to cure meat (cure as in perserve not heal LOL).

*snerk*

This gave me a mental image of a televangelist laying hands on a porterhouse, shouting "You are healed!"

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard of the exact same prescription - a cold wet spoon dipped in sugar - except it was to stop a case of hiccups. It works sometimes, but I think it's more to do with shock and distraction than anything else.
Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Toys for big boys.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toys for big boys.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Waby,

I meant are biology textbooks wrong in not saying that sugar is responsible for clotting blood.

This is what happens when posting on an empty stomach.

--------------------
I am not taking lectures on physics from a man in tights.

Posts: 236 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sugar's hygroscopic, so it draws fluids to itself. That in itself will help slow the bleeding down, but as for it actually causing the clotting cascade...

*cringes from too much studying*

Unless someone can show me where sugar fits in with the white and red clots, hemostatic plugs and fibrin, I call BS. Never heard of such a thing, and my Biochem course is Med-School level.

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WingedBear
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WingedBear   E-mail WingedBear   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would assume that it's really about using the spoon to create pressure on the wound and stop the bleeding. Quite possibly the sugar is just used to get rid of the taste of blood?

Winged "A spoonful of sugar helps the bleeding slow down" Bear

--------------------
If the sum of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the square on the other two sides, why is a mouse when it spins?

Posts: 90 | From: Cleveland, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Casey, making hot chocolate
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Casey, making hot chocolate   Author's Homepage   E-mail Casey, making hot chocolate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WingedBear:
I would assume that it's really about using the spoon to create pressure on the wound and stop the bleeding. Quite possibly the sugar is just used to get rid of the taste of blood?

Winged "A spoonful of sugar helps the bleeding slow down" Bear

That would be my guess- those legendary doctors Plasee Boh and Distrax Yun. [Smile]

--------------------
"To be or not to be! That is the question! Now, will you answer, dare, double dare, or take the Physical Challenge?" --Mark Summers as Hamlet
Countdown: 177 days and counting... or less. My blog. 14 keyboards owed.

Posts: 5584 | From: Ohio | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saint Gryphon
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint Gryphon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
With babies sugar is a pain killer. The nurses would give my boys something called Sweeties or Sweetums, can't quite remember the name and a google search is failing me, which was a sugar solution before they would draw blood. So maybe that is part of why they add sugar to help dull the pain of a cut?

Here is a 1999 article from BBC health about sugar as a pain killer

--------------------
Defender of dragons and slayer of fair maidens

Posts: 83 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Koshka
Deck the Malls

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Koshka         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WingedBear:
Quite possibly the sugar is just used to get rid of the taste of blood?

Or to get the kid to keep the spoon in place long enough. (As a co-worker said in a totally different context: "I have a four year old, I know bribery works.")
Posts: 244 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages