snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Carbohydrates Myth Busted: Eating Carbs at Night Okay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Carbohydrates Myth Busted: Eating Carbs at Night Okay
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is a myth that eating carbohydrates such as potatoes, rice or bread at night will make you put on weight, a New Zealand nutritionist says.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3818210a7144,00.html

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One person's opinion, even if that person is a nutritionist, does not a myth-buster make.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Evidence in female rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta) that nighttime caloric intake is not associated with weight gain.

Evening ready-to-eat cereal consumption contributes to weight management.
quote:
CONCLUSION: Eating ready-to-eat cereal after the evening meal may attenuate caloric intake in night snackers and promote weight loss in compliant individuals.
Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
bthyb
WiFi Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bthyb   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that's more like it.

--------------------
If you say you love ice cream, you better be dreaming of an orgy with Ben, Jerry, and one fine-ass chunky monkey.

-- My sister and poet extraordinaire, Joanna Hoffman

Posts: 1475 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tootsie Plunkette
Buy a Torch, Jeanette, Isabella

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Tootsie Plunkette   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My nutritionist put me on a no-white-at-night diet, not primarily for weight loss, but because my system wasn't processing blood sugars properly overnight. She was having me do a blood test morning, noon, and night, and the morning ones were the only ones that were unacceptable - when I ate 'white' foods for dinner.

I don't stick to it religiously, but we no longer reach for the pasta when stuck for a dinner idea.

--------------------
--Tootsie

Posts: 5017 | From: Greater Seattle | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Being type II diabetic, eating any large amounts of carbohydrates is bad. I find eating them before bed make is hard to sleep. This because of high blood surger which causes the body to sweat a lot and the need to run to the bathroom serveral time that night.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tootsie Plunkette:
My nutritionist put me on a no-white-at-night diet, not primarily for weight loss, but because my system wasn't processing blood sugars properly overnight. She was having me do a blood test morning, noon, and night, and the morning ones were the only ones that were unacceptable - when I ate 'white' foods for dinner.

I don't stick to it religiously, but we no longer reach for the pasta when stuck for a dinner idea.

You may want to ensure you're not overloading on fats and/or proteins at night, either. Proteins don't impact glucose levels for quite awhile, but fats can delay the impact even more, so your first-thing-in-the-morning-blood-sugars-when-you've-not-eaten-for-12-hours can be way, way higher than you think they ought to be (for me, even exercising after dinner and before bed did not impact these levels). I have found that if I have more proteins at lunch, and have a fairly light dinner, my morning glucose levels are well under control.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well AnglRdr, if Tootsie can't overload on carbs, fats, OR proteins, she's going to probably lose some weight anyway because just about the only thing she'd be able to consume is water! [lol]

ps - Tootsie - LOVE the hat.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Vegetables, snap...it's all about the veggies!

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I could dig veggies for dinner.

MMM...mashed potatoes...squash casserole...fried okra...eggplant parmesan...fried green tomatoes...black eyed peas with jalapeno cornbread...

snap-every time I go on a diet I gain 5 pounds-dragonfly

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My boyfriend and I were just discussing our theory that complex carbohydrates help us lose weight. Obviously fairly unscientific but we both feel less hungry and crave less fat when we eat lots of fiber and veggies, and I notice myself getting smaller when I stick to that kind of thing.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ThistleS:

More support for dietary patterns involving high-fiber, high-complex carbohydrates.

Almonds vs complex carbohydrates in a weight reduction program.
quote:
Both dietary interventions were effective in decreasing body weight beyond the weight loss observed during long-term pharmacological interventions;
Comparison of a low-fat, ad libitum complex-carbohydrate [LFAL] diet with a low-energy [LE] diet in moderately obese women.
quote:
It is concluded that an LFAL diet can result in substantial weight loss and is associated with improved palatability and QOL compared with an LE diet.
Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
btvsrcks
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for btvsrcks   E-mail btvsrcks   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleSquall:
My boyfriend and I were just discussing our theory that complex carbohydrates help us lose weight. Obviously fairly unscientific but we both feel less hungry and crave less fat when we eat lots of fiber and veggies, and I notice myself getting smaller when I stick to that kind of thing.

That is actually true, if your diet was full of simple carbs before.

I suffer from PCOS and many of the books suggest the 'bear diet' ie: meat and berries. Mostly though, they say to only eat foods that would have been around for our previous ancestors. Like, bread is ok, if the flour isn't completely pulverized (by machines like today) but ground by hand. A human can't pulverize wheat as small as a machine can, or some such.

I don't know of any scientific studies on the subject perse, but I can tell you that for years I couldn't lose weight no matter how much calorie cutting I did. In fact, I usually gained. But when I followed that diet, I lost.

Posts: 69 | From: Renton, WA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 23 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eating what our ancestors normally ate sounds like a good idea, but is it really that practical for our hurry-hurry lifestyle? For example, what kind of "bear diet"-like items can be taken with one to work? Also, how is a modern human supposed to grind grain by hand? Doesn't that take a long time?

Diets have to be practical as well as logical.

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is whole wheat supposed to be like hand-ground grain? I've never quite understood why exactly whole wheat bread is meant to be better for you, but it tastes better so I eat it.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Whole grain explanation.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages