snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Plane crashes occur in 3s

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Plane crashes occur in 3s
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 82 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, I am a bit of a wannabe aviation enthusiast, and I occasionally lurk in the airliners.net forums. The recent plane crash in Brazil reminded me of what seems to be a superstition in the airline industry I came across in their thread about the plane crash in Kentucky a few months ago.

In that thread, someone made this comment (it's the 8th reply; I couldn't figure out how to link to a specific post over there):
quote:
God i was scared of what would be next since the russian plan crash. It seems the 3's is true.
If I'm reading that correctly, the superstition is that plane crashes occur in groups of three. I think we have a few people from the aviation industry here. Have you heard of this? Do I have it right?

Of course the obvious problem whit this is how close together in time do the three crashes have to be for them to count? I'm sure you could pick any crach that's occured in the past, and find two other crashes somewhere in the world that were close enough to convince yourself that it's true. There must be some people out there who think the crashes in Russia, Kentucky, and Brazil, are proof of this superstition.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Arriah
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arriah   E-mail Arriah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That seems to be a 'special case' of the more general superstition that bad things happen in 3's. I've usually heard it applied to deaths happening in 3's but nobody is ever sure how close together the deaths have to be.

My DOYC! My great grandma died when i was 2 and only 20 years later, both of my husbands grandparents died too! It does happen in threes.
[/superstitious silliness]

--------------------
Conforming meant that everyone liked you except yourself
Rebecca

Posts: 682 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WildaBeast
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WildaBeast   E-mail WildaBeast   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arriah:
That seems to be a 'special case' of the more general superstition that bad things happen in 3's. I've usually heard it applied to deaths happening in 3's but nobody is ever sure how close together the deaths have to be.

I don't think I've heard that superstition before. It could be that that poster was just talking about the general superstition about bad things occuring in 3s, but since I'd never heard of that before and I read it in an aviation forum I assumed the superstion was unique to aviation.

--------------------
"Unseasonable is an odd word to begin with. It sounds like it's describing something that it's impossible to sprinkle pepper on." -- Nonny

Posts: 5483 | From: Just south of Folsom Prison, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
daisy747
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 81 posted      Profile for daisy747   E-mail daisy747   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to work as a secretary on an inpatient hospital floor. Worked there for many years, and the deaths in 3s supersition was always refered to. The time frame that most agreed on was one week, but sometimes we had 3 deaths in a day. It was an oncology floor, so this could be expected. Anyway, I know that it is just a supersition, but it frequently rang true that we would have 3 deaths in a row in a week or less. But, like I said it was oncology so the death rate on that floor was much higher than any other in the hospital.
Posts: 19 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
If I'm reading that correctly, the superstition is that plane crashes occur in groups of three. I think we have a few people from the aviation industry here. Have you heard of this? Do I have it right?

I've heard of the superstitious "Rule of 3" before in other contexts, but I've never heard of it in specific regards to the aviation industry.

One important distinction though--are they referring only to air carrier (airliner) crashes, or are they referring to all aviation in general? With the amount of general aviation (GA) aircraft flying around, there are many more fatal crashes than make the news. Off the top of my head I can think of two fatal GA accidents I've heard of within the past month--one in Wyoming and one in Prescott, AZ.

Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaGuyWitBluGlasses
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Avery's Rule of Three
Trouble strikes in series of threes, but when working around the house the next job after a series of three is not the fourth job-- it's the start of a brand new series of three.

Possibly connected to H.Allen Smith's Let the Crabgrass grow (Avery was Smith's neighbour [assumed fictional]) However the connection is not confirmed.

(bib: The Official Rules, Paul Dickson)

Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard of the bad thing happening in 3's many times. My observation has been. If we see one bad thing we sorta egnore it. When the second bad thing comes asssuming the first is still somewhat fresh in the memory. We tend to add it to the first one and start looking for the 3rd bad thing. When you start looking you have a tendency to find it.

I always tell people that if you are going to count bad things, you also need to count the good thing.

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Three of my grandparents died within a year of eachother (my last grandpa living another three years). Each death was unrelated; that is, the maternal grandparents had been divorced for over 40 years, so no dying from grief.
Of course, none of the other deaths related to the family have come in groups, so it's not significant after all, though it was a quite a shock.

I'm trying and trying, but can't come up with any more threes from my life that fit a pattern, really.

The only aviation three I know of is the 9/11 crashes.

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Waffles.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you count the one that crashed in a field, that's 4 crashes on 9/11, not 3.

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:

Ah, but you forget you're supposed to stop counting at 3 and start over.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elsie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elsie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard it said that celebrity deaths seem to come in threes. I know there was a spate of deaths some months ago, but for the life of me I can't remeber who they were and I just don't have time to try and google it right now.

I have also heard the "airline crashes in threes" thing before too. My husband works in aviation and I guess we just pay more attention to those news stories. Just to clarify, it is not my husband who believes that, but because we tend to watch every single aviation-related news story, I hear so many people talking about crashes and stuff that I have heard it on TV. Can't say if it was a reporter or analyst, or what the context of the comment was, just that I know I've heard someone on TV say it before.

--------------------
I'm an excellent speller, but a lousy typist.
"Just so you know, the words 'just' and 'cramps' - they don't go together." - Ginger Snaps

Posts: 323 | From: Chandler, AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 302 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MapleLeaf:

D'oh! No, it was the Pentagon one I spaced.

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This must be the definitive proof that Pentagon was hit by a missile, because then it neatly adds up to 3.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree

I think George Carlin said it best when he noted that things occur in ones. When three ones happen close together, people think that things happen in threes.

--------------------
-Silas Sparkhammer

onein6billion
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onein6billion   E-mail onein6billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well there was a plane crash in NYC. Would the helicopter crash in FL today count as two?

--------------------
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
"Divorce is not caused because 50% of marriages end in gayness." - Jon Stewart
my space on myspace--now showing "80's Video Of The Week"

Posts: 278 | From: Bel Air, MD | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by onein6billion:
Well there was a plane crash in NYC. Would the helicopter crash in FL today count as two?

And a plane crash in Norway makes it three.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages