snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Local Honey: A Cure for Allergies?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Local Honey: A Cure for Allergies?
MaidenAthene
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaidenAthene   E-mail MaidenAthene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if this should be in Food, or in Old wive's tales, but i've heard from my parents that eating honey from local apiaries helps control your allergies (I'm assuming from plant material, not dog dander or dust). Is this a myth or fact?

Maiden "I sneezed five times today" Athene

--------------------
“We live in a society of victimization, where people are much more comfortable being victimized than actually standing up for themselves.” - Marilyn Manson
"Well, end more, your not ending enough!" - MST3K

Posts: 259 | From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My Pubmed-fu is weak today. I'm just not thinking of the right subject headings. Hypersensetivity mostly got hits about people with honey allergies.

It is kind of cool though that there is a bunch of recent articles reinvestigating honey for wound care.

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not doing much better on Pubmed, either. Whereas using phrases like "oral tolerance allergies" or "oral tolerance food allergies" bring lots of relevant references, as soon as I add "honey" to the mix I get bupkus.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lynnejanet
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lynnejanet     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard that, too. Apparently, it is supposed to work much like an allergy injection, in that you are exposed, and build up a tolerance to, local pollens. It sounds plausible, but I have no idea whether it is true or not. I have witnessed a friend having an allergic reation to local unpasteurized honey.

--------------------
lynne"insert appropriate punny phrase here"janet

Posts: 1460 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard that it can help lessen the severity of (yes, plant/flower) allergies. Honey is made from pollen. Pollen comes from flowers or flowering plants. Therefore it would only be good for specific allergies to those plants that contributed to the manufacture of the honey. For example, eating orange blossom honey would be NBG to someone with wildflower allergies.

I've not heard that it can cure diddly... just make it less horrible.

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I found
quote:
"Oral desensitization in children"
Allerg Asthma (Leipz). 1965;11(3):118-23. German. No abstract available.
PMID: 5867104 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

"Hay fever and transitory hypertonia following honey injections."
Dtsch Gesundheitsw. 1953 Feb 5;8(6):166. Undetermined Language. No abstract available.
PMID: 13067710 [PubMed - OLDMEDLINE for Pre1966]

"Resultant therapeutic method variations in pollen allergy with special consideration of oral desensitizing of pollen allergic children with honey."
Praxis. 1957 Aug 15;46(33):717-21. German. No abstract available.
PMID: 13484687 [PubMed - OLDMEDLINE for Pre1966]

Unfortunately, they are all in German and they are all old. The search was simply "honey pollen allergy"

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Honey actually comes from nectar. But that nectar does come from flowering plants. Bees also collect pollen, and there is a small amount of pollen in the honey from them carrying it around on their little bodies, but honey is mostly concentrated nectar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honey

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some health food stores sell local pollen that I guess is supposed to be ingested in some way for allergies.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Pollen is yummy, and is supposed to be really good as an energy source.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
Honey actually comes from nectar. But that nectar does come from flowering plants. Bees also collect pollen, and there is a small amount of pollen in the honey from them carrying it around on their little bodies, but honey is mostly concentrated nectar.

Sorry, you're right of course about the nectar. My bad.

(Edited to fix typo and crappy syntax resulting from typing one-handed while holding a baby.)

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
niner domestic actual
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for niner domestic actual   E-mail niner domestic actual   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is kind of cool though that there is a bunch of recent articles reinvestigating honey for wound care.
The product that has been successfully used for wound care is called L-Mesitran. It's a honey based ointment.

--------------------
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake. Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 47 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I've heard of it being used as a topical wound ointment, but never as an allergy treatment. Weird.

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages