snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Burning a cigarette outside keeps the rain away

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Burning a cigarette outside keeps the rain away
Squishy0405
Wii Wiish You A Merry Chriistmas

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My husband said our SIL did this a couple of weeks ago (I forget why) but basically they didn't want it to rain. I was angry b/c I thought she smoked a cigarette inside & near her baby. She burned it outside (I was still unhappy the baby was even there) & it supposedly kept the rain away...Anyone hear of this? Ok so my lil bro did a "rain dance" once & it rained...maybe I don't believe it b/c it's a cigarette.

ETA: to add this in response for the next post: the baby was sitting outside while it was burning...I don't know how close.

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Eh, this is the type of thing that one can't really prove or disprove. It sounds like an old wive's tale, but I've never heard it. One might be better served by pursuing the origins of the legend instead of wether it's true or false.

As for the cigarette, if the baby was inside and the cigarette was outside, I don't see what harm was done. Burning a cigarette on the other side of a wall isn't like blowing smoke in baby's face.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
babyshoes
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babyshoes   E-mail babyshoes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If burning a cig outside is all it takes to keep it from raining, it would never, ever rain in this little corner of the U.S. DH & I smoke outside (b/c the kiddies are inside...).

Now, I have "whistled" for a wind while sailing, many years ago. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"When Jesus said to love your enemies, I think he meant don't kill them." from a song by Linda K. Williams

Posts: 124 | From: Rappahannock County, VA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Never heard this one before! (And wonder what exactly would inspire it?) Hubby does 99% of his smoking outside - but nothing stops the bucketloads of rain up here!

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The number of soaked smokers I've seen outside the building where I work would suggest otherwise.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know ciggarrettes get blamed for a lot these days. But, stopping rain!! [Eek!] What has the author of this one been smoking?

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought lighting a cigarette made a bus appear?

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It also speeds up time itself, but only if you're on break.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It makes some people leave you alone, too. [Smile]

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ericsmom
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ericsmom   E-mail ericsmom   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin Farquart:

It also makes your dinner appear when you are eating out
Posts: 106 | From: Dumont, NJ | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ericsmom:
quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin Farquart:

It also makes your dinner appear when you are eating out
And makes your mom's car appear in the driveway when you are a rebellious teenager smoking on the roof...

--------------------
... and now back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

I have 15 points and owe 1 keyboard!

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop
Once in Royal Circuit City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Author's Homepage   E-mail Nonny Mouse, on Santa's laptop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Makes the Baby Jesus cry, too. [Wink]

Nonny

--------------------
When there isn't anything else worth analyzing, we examine our collective navel. I found thirty-six cents in change in mine the other day. Let no one say that there is no profit in philosophy. -- Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 10141 | From: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To clarify again ...she didnt SMOKE the cigarette, she just let it burn.

--------------------
"Fate is like a strange, unpopular resturant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never ask for and don't always like."-Lemony Snicket

Posts: 1119 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does she buy cigarettes just for this purpose?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Squishy0405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Squishy0405   Author's Homepage   E-mail Squishy0405   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think they did but my MIL also secretly smokes (hides it from FIL) so I think they went to the corner store

--------------------

TwoGuyswithaHat
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwoGuyswithaHat   E-mail TwoGuyswithaHat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was given my Native spirit name about ten years ago I was given additional instructions to go with my name. During a thunderstorm, I was supposed to leave an offering of tobacco for the spirts.

--------------------
In politics, absurdity is not a handicap - Napoleon Bonaparte

Posts: 1801 | From: The Forest City, Ontario | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages