snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » No alcohol after meals

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: No alcohol after meals
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 24 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: My brother-in-law just told me that he never drinks alcohol
following a meal, because it will sit with the food and ferment it. Ever
heard of that?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Midgard_Dragon
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Midgard_Dragon   E-mail Midgard_Dragon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always been told (and experienced) the opposite. One absolutely must not drink alcohol on an empty stomach. It's a bad, bad idea.

--------------------
Midgard Dragon
-==UDIC==-
MidgardDragon's MySpace

Posts: 2455 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
surfcitydogdad
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surfcitydogdad     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Never. Sounds like one of the "old wives' tales" you debunk at Snopes, Mr. Dave. The body begins to break down the alcohol almost immediately after ingestion, no?

Some people say not to drink water with meals; also ridiculous. DO drink water with meals (and plenty the rest of the time), and if you're going to imbibe alcohol, DO drink it with food (or after meals), as Midgard cautions.

--------------------
Only when we remake ourselves can we remake the world.
- Outer Limits (2001)

Posts: 559 | From: Santa Cruz, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sugar and yeast ferment, anyway - alcohol is a by-product; it doesn't cause fermentation.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fermentation is the process where microorginisms such as yeast consume the sugar in food, producing carbon dioxide and alcohol, as well as other oxygenated byproducts and acids.

Won't happen (much) in the stomach because:

-Unless the food is already spoiled, it's not likely anyone is going to be able to load the stomach with significant quantities of yeast

-Even if that happened, the stomach not very hospitable for the yeast. Stomach fluids have a pH of around 2-4 which is at the low edge of the active range for many yeasts. The yeast would not be working very fast, if at all.

-Even if fermentation was possible, it would proceed very slowly, all while free sugars are being quickly adsorbed into the bloodstream.

And even without all the above, adding alcohol to sugar will not promote fermentation. In fact, alcohol production is what renders yeast inactive - this is the reason undistilled alcohols can't get much higher than 12-15% alcohol - at that concentration, the yeast stops.

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CitizenAim
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CitizenAim   Author's Homepage   E-mail CitizenAim   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Midgard_Dragon:
I've always been told (and experienced) the opposite. One absolutely must not drink alcohol on an empty stomach. It's a bad, bad idea.

I've been told this as well, by a doctor. A year and a half ago, I discovered alcohol and had quite a bit of it in the course of a week, to the point where I was getting excruciating abdominal pain. When I went to the doctor, one of the very first questions she asked me was if I had had anything to eat prior to drinking (I hadn't). Most of her feedback was that while drinking a lot can tear your stomach up (she said this in more evolved medical langauge than I can come up with), drinking it on an empty stomach is just asking for all sorts of trouble, from stomachaches to ulcers.

Because when you have nothing in there, your stomach lining is most exposed to the acidic content of alcohol. I think this is also why people say you're not supposed to drink soda when you first wake up, although I've never had anyone suggest not drinking orange juice, which has even higher acidity, so it doesn't really piece together well for me.

Posts: 146 | From: Columbia, SC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 24 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
CitizenAim said:
Because when you have nothing in there, your stomach lining is most exposed to the acidic content of alcohol.

Er... the stomach is full of hydrochloric acid anyway (pH 2 - 4 according to Finite Fourier Alchemy above), and well able to withstand this. Alcohol (ethanol) is in fact slightly alkaline (pH 9.8 according to this page) so it's not going to do much to the stomach lining by any sort of direct corrosive action, I don't think.

The main reason that people are advised not to drink on an empty stomach is that it's easier to get drunk by mistake, because the alcohol is absorbed more quickly if that's all that your digestive system has to work on...

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rsamboragal
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rsamboragal   Author's Homepage   E-mail rsamboragal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
mmmmmmm......beer.....

--------------------
www.myspace.com/azharleydiva

Posts: 65 | From: Goodyear, AZ | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lioness
Deck the Malls

Icon 37 posted      Profile for lioness         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's best to have alcohol with food, or after a meal, never on an empty stomach. Water is also essential, especially when you're enjoying alcohol, to prevent dehydration.
Posts: 223 | From: Long Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Towknie
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Towknie   E-mail Towknie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lioness:
It's best to have alcohol with food, or after a meal, never on an empty stomach. Water is also essential, especially when you're enjoying alcohol, to prevent dehydration.

But what about Guiness? Isn't that pretty much a meal and a beer all wrapped up in one convenient beverage?

--------------------
Towknie: Ryda-certified as wonderful, enlighted, and rational.

Posts: 1011 | From: Frisco, TX | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't drink on an empty stomach, as the alcohol gets into the blood faster and is easy to get too much.

On the other hand, don't eat very fat food before you drink a lot. It forms a layer that stops the alcohol for a while, allowing you to drink a lot without feeling it. Then the alcohol eats through the fat layer and hits you like a sledge hammer. A student died because of that trick in a drinking contest in Gothenburg 10-15 years ago.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlnge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 216 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Midgard_Dragon:
One absolutely must not drink alcohol on an empty stomach. It's a bad, bad idea.

Not a bad idea if you want to get 'hammered' [Wink]

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandfather said never to drink milk when eating fish. Don't know why (and I do it anyway) but that was his weird thing.

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Franjava, my mom used to tell us the same thing--milk with fish is deadly, as is milk with watermelon. I don't know how that got started.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 212 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:
Franjava, my mom used to tell us the same thing--milk with fish is deadly, as is milk with watermelon. I don't know how that got started.

Probably because the thought of either is quite repulsive, IMO. Ewww!

As for the OP: never heard anything like that.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Fish poached in milk is lovely! No, really.

I was always told not to drink milk with alcohol as it will curdle.

--------------------
Brosandi. Hendumst hringi
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pikey Queen:
I was always told not to drink milk with alcohol as it will curdle.

What about a
White Russian?

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Pikey Snow Queen   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Vodka doesn't count. It's special

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Posts: 694 | From: York, UK | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know after a little vodka I can't count. Or stand up, for that matter.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
The Pikey Snow Queen
The First USA Noel

Counting and standing are overrated IMO [Wink]

--------------------
Hldumst hendur
Allur heimurinn skr
Nema stendur

Canuckistan

Icon 24 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarquin Farquart:
What about a
White Russian?

Now you're bringing back memories of one of my barhops through London some years back. One of the bars gave up pitchers of the stuff.

Yeah, we couldn't count or stand at the end of that night, either. But boy, did we think we were special!

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brad from Georgia:

My Dad said my great-grandmother (whom I didn't know) said the same thing about milk with fish or watermelon.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 107 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Towknie:
quote:
Originally posted by lioness:

But what about Guiness? Isn't that pretty much a meal and a beer all wrapped up in one convenient beverage?
look at the beers produced by Belgium/Dutch trappists. Beers of ABV 10-12% are still fairly stanadrd for the monestaries usage.

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages