snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Tape a penny to a bee sting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Tape a penny to a bee sting
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: This comes from a person who works at a school in Tilbury and info came from local doctor ...

Just wanted to share a bit of information for school. A couple of weeks ago I was unfortunate enough to get stung by both a bee and hornet while working in the garden. My arm swelled up so off to the doctor I went. The clinic gave me cream and an antihistimine. The next day the swelling was getting progressively worse so off to my regular doctor I went. Infected arm - needed an antibiotic. What was interesting is what the Dr. told me. The next time you get stung put a penny on the bite for 15 minutes. I thought, wow next time (if there ever is one) I will try it.

Well that night Shelley's niece got stung by two bees. When she came over to swim I looked at the bite and it had already started to swell. So
off I went to get my money. Taped a penny to her arm for 15 minutes. The next morning, there was no sign of a bite. Wow were we surprised. Her niece we decided just wasn't allergic to the sting.

Well guess what happened again on Saturday night. I was helping Shelley dead head her flowers and guess what, you are right I got bit again two times by a hornet on my left hand. Was I ticked. I thought here I go again having to go to the doctor for yet another antibotic. Well I promptly went into the house, again got my money out and taped two pennies to my bites and then sat and sulked for 15 minutes. The penny took the string out of the bite immediately. I still wasn't sure what was going to happen. In the meantime the hornets were attacking Shelley and she got bit on the thumb.

Again the penny. The next morning I would only see the spot where he had got me. No redness, no swelling. Went over the see Shelley and hers was the same. Couldn't even tell where she got bit. Then Shelley got stung again on Monday night on her backcutting the grass. This penny thing is
going to make us money at school. Again it worked.

Just wanted to share the marvelous information in case any of you are experiencing the same problem at home. We need to have a stock of pennies on hand at school.

The Dr. said somehow the copper in the penny counteracts the bite. I would never had believed it. But it definitely does work.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Penny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps when the wound was left uncovered, the author would scratch it?
Posts: 340 | From: Redmond, WA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The OP seems to have an unusually bad bee/hornet problem... perhaps an exterminator would help even more than a penny.

--------------------
... and now back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

I have 15 points and owe 1 keyboard!

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The author also seems to have difficulty with the difference between a "bite" and a "sting." The two are not the same thing, and for some reason all this stuff about hornets and bees "biting" people made me roll my eyes through the whole thing.

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
seems like a very good way for the sting to get infected...
Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wicked Tinkerbell
Hock Harold Angel's Bling

Icon 502 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Molly:
The OP seems to have an unusually bad bee/hornet problem... perhaps an exterminator would help even more than a penny.

I second that motion.

Dude! Find the nest and get rid of the SOURCE of the problem.

But he had potential profits on his mind: This penny thing is going to make us money at school.

quote:
The penny took the string out of the bite immediately.
If the wound contains 'string', it sounds like you have a mutant hornet problem. Run!

--------------------
"I'm not Irish, I'm Celtic. The difference? Celts cut off your head and put it on their door lintel." --Aimee Evilpixie
"People are bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling."--Scrubs

Posts: 269 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Besides, why put a dirty penny on your bite when the old home remedy of baking soda paste or toothpaste works just fine?

Also, I didn't like the implication that she (the author) was allergic to bees and it worked. I can see some poor sap thinking that their child's violent bee allergy will be okay if they strap copper to the kid's arm instead of using an epi pen or rushing them to the hospital.

--------------------
... and now back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

I have 15 points and owe 1 keyboard!

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Copper is used to produce oxidase enzymes which degrade the histamine produced in reaction to the sting. I don't know that taping a penny to the sting helps get more copper into the cells that make those enzymes, because I don't even know what cells those are.
But copper deficiencies are considered for people that have inflammation because of the histamine/copper connection.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7327617&dopt=Citation

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
diehard
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diehard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually they say using aspirin in a paste is also a good remedy for what I google searched.

--------------------
Daddy "You are my "Special Angel" 1942-1999"

Posts: 440 | From: Greensburg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
charlie23
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie23   Author's Homepage   E-mail charlie23   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why didn't the hornets/bees sting Shelley TWICE on Monday? Has the partnership evaporated? Or has the hornet simply started slacking off?
Posts: 156 | From: Varna, Bulgaria | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Even more effective: tape a penny to the stinger of the bee before it stings. It makes it much harder for it to sting.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wounder if a pre-1983 penny would work better since there is a lot more copper in it.

Another remidy is the the use of meat tenerizer such as Adolph's, McCormick and another product that contains papain.

Generaly bee and other stinging insects to not bother me. This year while working around the house. I have put my hand into at least a 5 or 6 wasp or hornets nest. Not once getting stung. A few years ago I helped a bee keeper without protection retrieve a couple of full hives from the field that he could not lift. Not a sting.

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Electrotiger
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Electrotiger   E-mail Electrotiger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Taping a penny to a bee's rotors will not keep it from flying, I just saw that episode of Mythbusters.

Uh, wait a second...

--------------------
Mr. Sagan did not go too fars, If you just took the time to scan its,
You'd count billions and billions of stars, And billions and billions of planets.

Posts: 332 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ovalescent
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Electrotiger - if you tape enough pennies to the bee and douse it in enough vodka, though, it WILL make it explode.

My personal theory is that the pennies, being dirty like all money, cause the sting to get infected, and your body is too busy fighting the horriblre infection to throw histamines at the sting.

Like the guy who "cures" his allergies by repeatedly infecting himself with hookworm!

--------------------
"You're all suffering from trauma because it was so boring in the womb!"

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 216 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Molly:

The OP is penny wise but pound foolish.
[Razz]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alluvian
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alluvian     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The remedy in my family growing up was to wet a tums or rolaids tablet and tape that to the sting.

I have not been stung in probably 20 years, but I remember that helping the pain and swelling a lot.

For mosquito bites it was wetting a bar of soap and rubbing it on the bite. Also seemed to help a lot, as I have an odd allergic reaction to their bites. Part of that 'cure' may have been that it deterred itching as well.

Posts: 97 | From: Florida - USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's no need to mock. It worked on Shelley! And you know what Shelley's like. How could it not be true?

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kizzcee007
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kizzcee007   E-mail kizzcee007   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was always told to flush the area with vinegar if it was a wasp sting and Bicarbonate of soda for a bee sting.

I remember it this way

VW=vinegar/wasp
BB=bicarb/bee

Posts: 156 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages