snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Cooking in the rain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cooking in the rain
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 401 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I've always heard from the
great cooks in my family that if you make home made bread or make
preserves, jam when the weather is threatening or rainy, the product will
fail. Bread will not rise; preserves will not set. It seems to hold true,
but I wonder if it's because I live in the Northwest...and expect failure
if I try to do either when it's rainy [often...but not as bad as our
reputation].

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
HollowMan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollowMan     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if it could be the extra humidity in the air. From what I can tell, that would not affect the bread dough proofing, but might be enough to interfere with the jam. Other than that, I dunno.

--------------------
Heisenberg may have slept here.

I got an idea... an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about.

Posts: 291 | From: Greenville, SC | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ILS
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ILS   E-mail ILS   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Both of those process can be sensitive to humidity and temperature. Rainy days also tending to be cooler days.
Posts: 287 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Frozen Charlotte
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frozen Charlotte   E-mail Frozen Charlotte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
IME, bread rises just fine during wet weather, however, yeast requires a certain amount of warmth to do its job properly. If I bake bread on a cold day, I usually put my dough to rise in a covered bowl in the oven (which has been warmed up for a minute and then turned off). Setting it near a radiator or other heat source works as well. "Quick" breads, which are made with baking powder or soda, seem to turn out fine regardless of weather or kitchen temperature.

I don't make jam or preserves so I can't say for sure if weather affects them, but I can see where it might. Some types of candy (taffy and candied orange peel, for example) are more difficult to make in humid weather--the moist air tends to make them stickier and the finished product can be too soft. I also seem to recall that dishes that include whipped egg whites are more difficult to make when it's rainy or humid.

Posts: 64 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimmy101
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy101   E-mail jimmy101   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a wild ass guess.

Rainy days are associated with lower barometric pressure. Lower pressure means bubbles of traped CO2 in the rising bread will expand farther and are more likely to burst resulting in the bread falling.

Lower barometric pressure will also lower the boiling point of water by a degree or two. So, if the cooking process involves boiling you will need to boil longer on a rainy day.

A rainy day might have a barometric pressure of 29 inHg (compared to the normal 29.92) resulting in boiling point is that is lowered about 1.9°F. A clear sunny day might have the barometric pressure at 31 inHg and water will boil at 213.6°F, 1.6°F higher than normal. (The preceeding calculated at an altitude of 100 feet above sea level.)

Posts: 629 | From: Greenwood, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Frozen Charlotte:
IME, bread rises just fine during wet weather, however, yeast requires a certain amount of warmth to do its job properly. If I bake bread on a cold day, I usually put my dough to rise in a covered bowl in the oven (which has been warmed up for a minute and then turned off). Setting it near a radiator or other heat source works as well. "Quick" breads, which are made with baking powder or soda, seem to turn out fine regardless of weather or kitchen temperature.

I don't make jam or preserves so I can't say for sure if weather affects them, but I can see where it might. Some types of candy (taffy and candied orange peel, for example) are more difficult to make in humid weather--the moist air tends to make them stickier and the finished product can be too soft. I also seem to recall that dishes that include whipped egg whites are more difficult to make when it's rainy or humid.

I lived in Savannah, Georgia and I used to bake all the time. My breads always did fine, but my candies never set. I couldn't get fudge or divinity to set at all. Even if the day was clear- it was still so humid that the divinity wouldn't take.

Not scientific, just my experiences. [Wink]

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom taught me to never make anything with whipped egg whites or whipping cream whenever there was any humidity in the air. Of course, I had to try it for myself and the egg whites did not whip up and form peaks.

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
smackmac, if you chill the bowl you're going to whip the whites or the cream in, as well as the beater(s) for about 1/2 hour or so, humidity can't touch 'em.

I have some difficulty getting my pie crusts to be the right amount of moist, as opposed to crumbly or too doughy, when it's really humid.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaGuyWitBluGlasses
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy101:

Rainy days are associated with lower barometric pressure.

And the possibility of Thunder [Wink]
Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
smackmac
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smackmac     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
smackmac, if you chill the bowl you're going to whip the whites or the cream in, as well as the beater(s) for about 1/2 hour or so, humidity can't touch 'em.

I have some difficulty getting my pie crusts to be the right amount of moist, as opposed to crumbly or too doughy, when it's really humid.

Typically, I do chill everything. But it's still ingrained not to do the stuff when it's humid. [Smile] Not that I whip egg whites anymore, anyhow. I couldn't even tell you the last time I whipped anything but potatoes.

--------------------
"Maybe getting in the last word doesn't really mean you win." - The Clarks

Posts: 486 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
invisigoth
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for invisigoth   E-mail invisigoth   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
lol. i know the feeling. i live in florida and its a pain trying to make fudge at christmas time. as to the breadmaking, i think i read someplace that it was just humidity that caused it not to rise. we used to have this bread cookbook and i used to love the idea of making bread, but alas, it never worked for me. anyways i think thats where i read it at.
Posts: 46 | From: DeLand, FL | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SuperSlug
Pumpkin carver

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuperSlug     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The only trouble i've ever had cooking in the rain is that if it's coming down heavy,it rattles my little trailer,so anything that is supposed to rise in the oven has a harder time doing so.
Or the power goes out.

--------------------
"Yeah,I stay on the computer a lot,more than I should.But I don't kill small animals,I don't steal,and I don't do drugs.So leave me alone."-My sister

Posts: 9 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Anytime I cook in the rain, my burgers get soggy... [Wink]

In real life, I make bread all the time, and the humidity makes a big difference. It is not as bad as "not rising", but I do have to add more or less liquid, depending on the weather.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Never had a problem cooking bread here in the Northwest. Leaned bread making from my Grandmother. Around here you put dough in a large heavy ceramic bowl and then on a *warm stove to rise. Also you need to cover with a couple of towls. Basicly keep it warm and dry.

*Turn the oven on so and find a warm spot on the top, but not a hot location.

Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages