snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Winter thunderstorm = snow

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Winter thunderstorm = snow
Raine
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Raine   Author's Homepage   E-mail Raine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
People around my area always talk about if there is a thunderstorm during winter, you are bound to have snow within 9 days. I have seen this wives tale debunked many times over but people still tell me about it. Anyone know where this came from?

--------------------
"Do unto others before they do unto you!"-Ernie from Sesame Street

Posts: 22 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
First off, how the heck does your post have anything to do with your thread title??

Okay, now on to the post:

It is pretty likely that there will be snow within 9 days of ANY day during winter.

Secondly, a thunderstorm is caused by an organized low pressure weather system, and with convection of WET air rising and creating all the static charge that makes lightning - people forget that the rising air is also wet... you are getting lots of water in the air. Water in the air is what you need for snow.

Bingo!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Raine

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raine   Author's Homepage   E-mail Raine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Malruhn:
[QB] First off, how the heck does your post have anything to do with your thread title??

--------------------

Posts: 22 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Raine

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raine   Author's Homepage   E-mail Raine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I was gonna put a different post up but forgot to change the title. Thanks for pointing out my stupidity. People make mistakes.

--------------------

gorecki

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gorecki   E-mail gorecki   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raine:
People around my area always talk about if there is a thunderstorm during winter, you are bound to have snow within 9 days. I have seen this wives tale debunked many times over but people still tell me about it. Anyone know where this came from?

Hi [Smile]

We have a similar 'old-wives' saying here in Poland (roughly translated):

"A storm during a winter day, the farmer brings home a frozen crop"

But not sure about the "snow withing 9 days" i'm afraid...but perhaps the two sayings are related?

Kindest regards

Stefánosz

--------------------
Niebios Przeczysta królowo, ty zawse wspieraj mnie >>> Zdrowaš Mario

Posts: 37 | From: Poland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
People make mistakes.

Which is why we have the Edit button, right?

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Adelaide
Remembrances of Things Bass

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adelaide   E-mail Adelaide   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
It is pretty likely that there will be snow within 9 days of ANY day during winter.

But maybe not in North Carolina where the OP poster is. It does sound like a coincidental pattern (the exact 9 day formula) that people notice when it matches their expectations, and reject the times when it doesn't.

I lived in Virginia for years and never heard it though.

Edit: spelling

--------------------
Natural selection is a beguiling counterfeiter of deliberate purpose. - Richard Dawkins

Posts: 620 | From: Alaska | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Hmm, I see that us North Carolinians have to stick together, Raine. I asked about this very weather belief a while ago. It's something I've always heard growing up and living in the central part of the state.

I'm not sure we can figure out where it came from (it's the variable "X # of days" part that is problematic, I think), but I believe it's worth the effort to figure out how long this belief has been passed around. It's possible that Frank Brown's 8-volume work on the folklore of North Carolina (collected between 1912 and 1943) may hold early forms of this bit of weather lore. Next time I go to the library I'll take a look.

Bonnie "so, Raine, Raine, don't go away" Taylor

--------------------
Se non è vero, è ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Around here, we have thundersnow sometimes. I guess when the thunderstorm does mean snow.

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TB Tabby
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TB Tabby   E-mail TB Tabby   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've read about this in "Kiss A Mule, Cure A Cold," a book of folk superstitions and remedies. According the book, it doesn't just mean snow, it means at least a foot of snow.

--------------------
I like to go down to the playground and watch the kids run and jump and scream, because they don't know I'm only using blanks.

Posts: 942 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 27 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BeachLife:
Around here, we have thundersnow sometimes.

We've had that around here as well--really strange--and rare for this area.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PallasAthena
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PallasAthena     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When we moved to St. Louis a few years back a few people talked about thundersnows happening a few years ago. Apparently there was a really bad winter a couple of years ago that caused ice storms and thundersnows. I've never experienced one, but I think it would be neat. Hopefully I'll get to see one while I am still in the midwest.

--------------------
"How do you make chocolate? You take dark chocolate, you mix it with white milk, and it becomes a delicious drink. That is the chocolate I am talking about." --Ray Nagin

Posts: 1325 | From: Missouri | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
greatbeast

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greatbeast     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I know I've certainly never heard of that old saying... Of course living in New England...we get a bit of snow no matter how many rainstorms or sets of 9 days go by in the winter.
Posts: 23 | From: Taunton, MA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages