snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » vacuum one time for every person in your house per week (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: vacuum one time for every person in your house per week
Ligeia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ligeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, with two people, a ferret and nine rats, one of which might be pregnant, (and did we decide whether or not fish count?) I may as well just turn around and start over everytime I finish vaccuming.

--------------------
Fight evil diaper rash!

Posts: 196 | From: Southwest Missouri | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I need to vacuum my bathroom every week - the floor is brilliant white ceramic and every hair or speck of non-white dirt shows up magnified by a factor of 20.

My kitchen has grey ceramic - much better at hiding dirt. The rug at the front entry also needs a weekly vaccuming - usually light-coloured dust or grass gets carried in onto it. And the rug has fringes which shed. Most of my house, except the bathroom, has dark-coloured carpet or wood flooring - dust, clothing residue, lint, grass - all show up instantly. Small price to pay for everything looking good and matching.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought everybody vacumed the most heavily travelled areas daily. You almost have to if the kids (or messy adults like me) eat any type of chips or cereal for a snack on a carpeted floor.

The bedrooms and areas that don't get food OTOH can go for a while.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:
zman... any chance your mom might be having some kind of mental/emotional problems? Often times people are neat freaks either because they're obsessive and worried about germs and that sort of thing... or because they feel like so much of their life is out of their control that the one thing they do have control over is how clean their house is... and by golly, they're not gonna do a half-assed job!

Yes, she does have some mental issues. and she was far worse befroe she got counseling and on happy pills. She has been known for some pretty obsessive behavior. I've told stories about some of the odd things she used to compalian about for example, Haveing a temper tantrum if you had a large glass of Orenge Juice in the morning. For some reason you had to have a small one or you'd be conciderd a pig in her mind, also she would have a fit if you gatherd the garbage together in the wrong direction, for example gathering it going down stairs to up stairrs. She thought it should be gatherd up stairs to down stairs and if you pinted out it made know difference which direction you gatherd it and pointed out to her how stupid it was to compaing about such things she would litterally though an irrational fit like a two year old. Also, if you proved her wrong instead of admitting it, she'd again throw a fit. That seemd to be her way of dealing with tings when it was pointed out to her how silly she was being. Just thow a fit like a two year old. Trust me I could go on but you get the idea. The neat freek stuff is only the tip of the ice burg. She was known for some bizzar behavior. And me being the way I am couldn't just ignore her, I had to point out to her every time she complaind about one of her many strange things how stupid they were. I'm the kind of person who when I see someone do or say something odd I make fun of it. I did eventually learn that the best way to handle a person like this is just to ignroe them. That became much easier when I moved out of the house. She finally recieved counseling about ten years ago and is still going. and is on medication which helps but she still has her moments.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A lot of wood in this neck has been felled to create our current floor fashion of wood or laminated wood.
Upside = no need to vacuum.
Quick sweep does the job. Happy days.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
00-Saleen
Deck the Malls

Icon 503 posted      Profile for 00-Saleen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grand Illusion:
quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Molly:
ETA: Grand Illusion, how do you like your Dyson? The one I just bought is a refurbished Animal.

I don't remember the model name, but it's a purple one, and it's been the most reliable vaccum we've owned. There's one place on the bottom where dust tends to jam over time, but you can take it apart with a screwdriver and clean it out.
I have the same thing--a refurbished Dyson Animal (the purple one)!! I absolutely love it for the few times I actually vacuum. It picks up the fine dust and the hair from the Siamese-X (who is a super shedder all year long). The only downside is the beater bar gets full of people hair quickly, and it must be cleaned by cutting the hair off.
Posts: 239 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, I have five people, three cats, two dogs and two rodents. That's a whole lotta vacuuming.

I vacuum maybe... twice a month, maybe less.

quote:
I was thinking "Leave my NFBSKing crumbs alone. These are my crumbs"
I have built-in crumb cleaners- the two dogs. [Wink]

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cyclones
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cyclones     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, the wives tale is more of a rule of thumb. I work for a carpet mill and the recomended frequency for vacuuming is daily in the high-traffic areas and weekly in the low-traffic areas. This applies to carpet only, for performance issues. Your carpet should be professionally cleaned by hot water extraction every 12 to 18 months.
Posts: 1 | From: Belleville, IL | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Just Me
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I vacuum every day - so there must be an additional 3 kids or pets hidden around here somewhere.

--------------------
"Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple." - Willy Wonka

Posts: 388 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
zman... well I'm glad your mom is getting help and I'm glad it seems to be working for her. I have a feeling that if I would have grown up with her, my head would have exploded. Nah, IMploded... probably less mess that way.

My mom was never really obsessive about anything... my dad was only obsessive about how to fold clothes. Which is not to say that he said there was only one way to fold a shirt... just that however you fold the shirt, make sure you smooth it out so there's no wrinkles, etc. I've kind of picked that up to a slight degree, to where I have banned my husband from attempting to fold my clothes because I'm kind of particular (and he's content to just push things together into a giant wad).

But I'm happy that your mom is getting the help she needs. [Smile]

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Iguana:
zman... well I'm glad your mom is getting help and I'm glad it seems to be working for her. I have a feeling that if I would have grown up with her, my head would have exploded. Nah, IMploded... probably less mess that way.

My mom was never really obsessive about anything... my dad was only obsessive about how to fold clothes. Which is not to say that he said there was only one way to fold a shirt... just that however you fold the shirt, make sure you smooth it out so there's no wrinkles, etc. I've kind of picked that up to a slight degree, to where I have banned my husband from attempting to fold my clothes because I'm kind of particular (and he's content to just push things together into a giant wad).

But I'm happy that your mom is getting the help she needs. [Smile]

Trust me, my head wanted to implode many times growing up with my mom being like that. She was obsessive compulsive about other things as well. I've inherited some obsessive compulsive disorder but I'm not sure if I get that from her or my dad. Every male on my dads side has Tourette Syndrome or a tic related disorder and we are all obsessive compulsive on varying levels. My mom was the worst out of all of us. We think my Grandfather, his dad, had it. My dad has a tic disorder and I have full fledged Tourete Syndrome. I would probably be more obsessive about cleaning but luckily the medication keeps the Tourettes related things under control too.

I also used to make the mistake of trying to argue with her and point out just how silly she was being with the many things she was obsessed about. I used to wrongly think that if you pointed out how silly the behavior was then they would see the light and change. Did not work. In fact it made it worse. Now you wouldn't even think she was the same person I grew up with. I know we all say that about our parents but in this case it is true. We're all glad she finally received help.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zman977:
I used to wrongly think that if you pointed out how silly the behavior was then they would see the light and change. Did not work. In fact it made it worse.

Funny how simple common sense can fall flat on its face sometimes, huh? *sympathetic hugs*

Purple--Why do they call it "common sense" when so few people have it?--Iguana
(points for reference)

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages