snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » vacuum one time for every person in your house per week (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: vacuum one time for every person in your house per week
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's one I've never heard. We were visiting my parents this weekend for my birhday, I turn 37 today, and we ended up on the subject of cleaning. I mentiond that we vacuum once a week. My mom said that you should vacuum the number of times per week as people, or pets, you have in your house. For example if it is you, your spouce, and three kids you should vacuum five times per week. I told her that sounds like an old wives tale and of course she could not remember where she heard it but insisted it was true.

I changed the subject. I figured no point arguing over something that silly. I was wondering if anyone else had heard this.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dear Babby
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dear Babby     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a heck of a lot of vacuuming to me--and Happy Birthday!
Posts: 326 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Autumn Neko
The Seahorse Whisperer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autumn Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard that one before - my house includes me, my husband, and 8 cats (and if we're counting ALL pets, two fish). No way am I vacuuming that much! [Eek!]

--------------------
"...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does."
~~Groucho Marx~~

Posts: 392 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
missiebreathe
I Am Curious, Yellowtail

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missiebreathe         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a hubby, 2 boys, 2 cats. I have to vacuum every day just for the cats alone! I'd say the math works out about right for my house, but we have a lot of shedding going on and kids at the messy eating stage.
Posts: 46 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
womprat
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 506 posted      Profile for womprat   Author's Homepage   E-mail womprat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Living with a long haired German Sheppard, long hair cat, & long hair wife [Wink] , not to mention two parrots and various foster animals, I can agree with this legend. Vacuuming twice a week isn't enough to keep ahead of the hair right now. And I curse the bagless vacuum that only holds half a room full of pet hair.

For the record I have not heard of that legend. (But can see where it would come from.)

-Mike

Posts: 23 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Frozen Charlotte
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Frozen Charlotte   E-mail Frozen Charlotte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard that and it sounds excessive to me. In my case that would currently have me vacuuming five times a week (two adults, two kids, and a cat). I have a three story house with all wood floors and it takes an entire afternoon to vacuum the whole thing--no way could I do it that often.

It's probably better to vacuum whenever you see a significant amount of debris on the floor. In my house, with a 13 month old who leaves a trail of crumbs and will eat nasty things left on the floor, it needs to be done once a week.

I wonder if that recommendation was originally from vacuum salesmen (with the idea that the more you vacuum the faster the cleaner will need to be serviced or replaced)?

Posts: 64 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dear Babby:
That's a heck of a lot of vacuuming to me--and Happy Birthday!

Thanks, and I'm not spending my birthday vacuuming. [Smile]

--------------------

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What if you have a big house?. Shouldn't the number of rooms used come into the calculation?

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kingfan1978
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingfan1978     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, that'd be a lot of vacuuming for us...two people (soon-to-be 3) & 5 pets. I think 1-2 times per week for us is more than enough. Especially using the allergen-reducing carpet powder...it helps the environment for our pet-allergic friends & it smells great.

--------------------
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Posts: 411 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977

We have just me, my wife and a golden/lab mix. She has shorter hair than a golden retriver, she has the hair lenth of a lab but she still sheds quite a bit. For us vacuming once a week works. Although our vacuum cleaner might dissagree. Sometimes we have to use the shop vac to pick up the dog hair because the regular vacuum gets clogged. I'd agree, you should vacuum when you see a significant amount of dirt. I should also ad that my mom is a neat freak. Her house is spotless. My mother in law has the same problem. Now my wife and I are not slobs but our house looks like someone actually lives here.

--------------------

KatrinaDuck
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KatrinaDuck   E-mail KatrinaDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just wondering that, Mad Jay. Surely my two cats would spread their hair over a large house slower than my small apartment, thus making me need to vacuum less often.
Thanks to zman for reminding me that I didn't vacuum this weekend, and that's probably why the living room smells like cat.

--------------------
It is, after all, the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters. -Stephen King

Posts: 481 | From: North Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aud
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aud   E-mail Aud   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I will be sure to wear my apron, pearls, and heels when I vacumn all those times too.

Aud "but I'm already wearing lace up shoes!"

Posts: 1168 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see how this can be true or untrue. Surely it is just a matter of one's cleanliness preferences?

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Blue Fuzzy Thing
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Fuzzy Thing   E-mail Blue Fuzzy Thing   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm. Vacuuming. Umm well…

Let’s just say my wife and I have been living in our apartment for over five years now, and I just changed the bag in the vacuum cleaner for the first time yesterday.

Yes, let’s leave it at that…

Blue Fuzzy Thing

--------------------
People say I have ADD, but they just don’t understand that... Oh look! A chicken!

Posts: 151 | From: Cincinnati, Ohio | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grand Illusion
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grand Illusion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grand Illusion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That OWT may have been a rule of thumb in times gone by when vacuums were a fraction as powerful as now. From some research I did before buying our Dyson, I would surmise that vacumming too often with a modern heavy-duty unit would weaken the carpet fibers and cause premature wear.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" - The Brain

Posts: 587 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zman977:
My mom said that you should vacuum the number of times per week as people, or pets, you have in your house. For example if it is you, your spouce, and three kids you should vacuum five times per week.

People or pets, or people and pets? With three people and four cats, for a total of seven, that sounds about right to me.

Oh wait -- per week?!? I vacuum seven times per year!

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Blue Fuzzy, don't feel bad... I've been living in my apartment 9 months and I just now bought a vaccuum cleaner (old one busted before I moved in)

(I have my reasons, I swear!)

ETA: Grand Illusion, how do you like your Dyson? The one I just bought is a refurbished Animal.

--------------------
... and now back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

I have 15 points and owe 1 keyboard!

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't there a rule somewhere that 2 cats equals to 1 dog as far as messiness and wear and tear goes? So, if you are counting pets, you should divide the number of cats by two

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RLobinske
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RLobinske   E-mail RLobinske   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, when I was growing up, we should've vacuumed the house twice or more a day? (7 people plus numerous dogs, cats and birds)???

Righttttttttt [Smile]

Posts: 296 | From: Crawfordville, Florida | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One dog cancels out one toddler, because the dog eats all the crumbs the kid leaves behind.

(Gramma won't let the toddlers visit unless the dog comes too.)

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh... your mom wouldn't want to set foot in my apartment for fear of the little things that would stick to her feet! [Wink]

But such "logic" makes me wonder about the households out there who have more people/pets than there are days in the week. I'm reminded of a show I saw advertised a while back where a couple had 14 children, pregnant with twins, which put their entire family size at 18. Not sure if they had any pets, but I can't imagine vacuuming almost 3 times a day! [Eek!]

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Blue Fuzzy and Little Molly - perhaps we can start a secret society, identified by one dirty soled foot perhaps.

I have been living in my current home for 2 and a half years, and have vacuumed roughly the same number of times. I can't say I recommend it though, in fact if the floors hadn't got so bad they overwhelm the vacuum I might be tempted to clean more often. Last time I tried it just kept over heating, and the clean patch made the rest of the floor look worse.

I am thinking of giving in and having my floors proffesionally cleaned, in the hope that I will then be able to cope.

In the mean time I am wearing my slippers....

I still think it is better to live with dirty floors than actually worry about these things though.

ETA - The OP doesn't really sound like an urban legend, more a rough rule of thumb (used by the very clean).

Victoria J.

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So, my bearded dragon adds a day of vacuuming??? Only when his crickets escape!

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never used to vacuum that often until I got my dog. He sheds so heavily that I really should vacuum once a day because otherwise the hair winds up EVERYWHERE and my nose gets stuffed up from allergies. I have a one-bedroom apartment so this takes less than 15 minutes.

Before I had the dog I vacuumed once every month or two.

Surely the "pets" rule applies to furred animals? I doubt fish add any dust to the household.

Although if you consider all pets (including reptiles) in this rule, my boyfriend would be vacuuming 8 times a week. If we lived together it would be 10 times a week. If the family dogs lived with us instead of his parents, we'd be vacuuming twice a day.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

But, but, I consider my dust bunnies as pets!!

--------------------
Nico Sasha

Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:

You're lucky. In my house, they consider us as pets.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977

quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Jay:

You're lucky. In my house, they consider us as pets.
We charge ours rent. Seriously my mom dosn't like comming to our house because it is "too messy". The last time she complaind I siad, "Your more than welcome to help clean if you would like". She never said another word. The dog hair bothers her. Unlike most of our friends my mother does not see the dog as a member of the family. She just cannot see how you could allow a dog on the furniture. Our dog is our baby and my mom actually tries to correct us when we use that term to discribe her. If we did not have a dog we probably would not vacuum once per week. We'd be lucky if we did it once per month. As I said, our house looks lived in.

My mom is a neat freak, She has a fit if there is one crumb on the floor. I recall growing up she would go in to a complete fit if one crumb was on the floor. "This house is a disaster." Would be her statement and if you pointed out how one crumb on the floor does not make the whole house a mess she'd yell and scream about how no one takes her seriously. My experience with neat freaks like this is that when you point it out to them they throw a temper tantrum.

My MIL is the same way. Probably why cleaing the house is not at the top of our priority lists. My MIL had to vacuum the entire carpet in the living room before we could watch a NASCAR race because she saw one crumb on the floor. ONE CRUMB. Then got mad when we pointed out how ridiculous that was.

I'm all for haveing a neat house but some people take it a little foo far and I get it from both sides of the family.

--------------------

Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
zman... any chance your mom might be having some kind of mental/emotional problems? Often times people are neat freaks either because they're obsessive and worried about germs and that sort of thing... or because they feel like so much of their life is out of their control that the one thing they do have control over is how clean their house is... and by golly, they're not gonna do a half-assed job!

I'm not trying to cast aspersions or anything... myself, I come from a terribly untidy background. Not filthy--we never had food ground into the carpet or slices of pizza under couch cushions or anything--but just piles and piles of stuff that we probably don't really need. [Smile]

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay

quote:
Originally posted by zman977:

My mom is a neat freak, She has a fit if there is one crumb on the floor. I recall growing up she would go in to a complete fit if one crumb was on the floor. "This house is a disaster." Would be her statement and if you pointed out how one crumb on the floor does not make the whole house a mess she'd yell and scream about how no one takes her seriously. My experience with neat freaks like this is that when you point it out to them they throw a temper tantrum.

One of my cousins is a neat freak. He had come to stay with me, and he would get on his knees to pick up crumbs of the floor. That wierded me out. I was thinking "Leave my NFBSKing crumbs alone. These are my crumbs"

--------------------
Nico Sasha

Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hubby is a neat freak when it comes to the carpet, and yet he has piles of stuff all over the place. The piles drive me nuts when I dust, which happens maybe once every couple of weeks. He's in charge of vacuuming, and that happens about the same amount as me dusting.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Birthday zman. I have never heard this rule of thumb about how often to vacuum but I have heard one about mopping. A friend told me that when you walk across the kitchen floor and your sock sticks to the floor and is pulled off it is time to mop the floor.

Kitoboo

Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grand Illusion:
That OWT may have been a rule of thumb in times gone by when vacuums were a fraction as powerful as now. From some research I did before buying our Dyson, I would surmise that vacumming too often with a modern heavy-duty unit would weaken the carpet fibers and cause premature wear.

In my experience older vacuums clean better. I'm not sure why this is, but it is true of other appliances too, like mixers and blenders.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Grand Illusion
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grand Illusion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Grand Illusion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Molly:
ETA: Grand Illusion, how do you like your Dyson? The one I just bought is a refurbished Animal.

I don't remember the model name, but it's a purple one, and it's been the most reliable vaccum we've owned. There's one place on the bottom where dust tends to jam over time, but you can take it apart with a screwdriver and clean it out.

--------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

"Are you pondering what I'm pondering?" - The Brain

Posts: 587 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not vacuum. DH or kids vacuum, because according to DH I don't do it right. He can cheerfully spend 3 hours vacuuming the family room and dining room (it took me 15 minutes).
Don't get the idea that he's a neat freak, though. Ex was a neat freak. When he came home from work, he'd get the glass cleaner, clean the TV screen, the glass panes in the coffee table, the mirror over the couch, and the glass doors on the TV stand. Then he'd get the dusting wand and dust all the wood in the living room and dining room. THEN he'd take the dustbuster and the glass cleaner out to his pick up and vacuum it out and clean all windows. After that, he'd kiss me hello. If I wanted to go anywhere, I couldn't take his pick up because he'd already cleaned it. If I even took it to the store and back, he'd have to go through the whole truck-cleaning proceedure again.
Come to think of it, its not too hard to understand why he's my ex!

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
He can cheerfully spend 3 hours vacuuming the family room and dining room
I dunno, I still think that's a touch OCD, I reckon you could vacuum Buckingham Palace in three hours [lol] Maybe it's the monotonous white noise? Very soothing subconciously...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages