snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Storms and leaves

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Storms and leaves
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 05 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: What is the story about storms and seeing the backs of
leaves............old wives tale ?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahead of a storm front comes wind. Wind blows the leaves, so you can see the bottoms/backs. The bottom side is often a very different shade from the top side: for instance, in summer maple leaves are a very deep green, but the bottoms are light grayish green.

When the trees change color (because the wind at the edge of the front is blowing the leaves), then a storm's a'comin' (or at least the weather is a'changin').

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaGuyWitBluGlasses
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The holes on the leaves are only on the bottom side.

So if a plant wants to get some water that might not make it to its roots it has to turn the leaves up so that the "bottom" side gets wet"

Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Silver maple trees will "turn" their leaves when rain is expected.

I've seen instances where the weather man is jumping up and down that it's "Gonna Rain!!" but the leaves were still "green"... and it didn't rain.

Then I've seen times where the weather man says, "Dry as a bone today!" but the silver maples' leaves were "silver" (bottom side up), and it rained.

I can't speak for any other flavor of tree.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We have tons of trees in back of our house- the public golf course's 18th hole is right there. Every leafed tree does that before it rains. I've used that as a guide my whole life (having lived in many places around the country as an Army brat-then-wife). I'm not sure of every tree back there, but we have Oak, Birch, Willow, Maple and Sycamore; and a few very large bush-like trees. They all do that under-side of the leaf thing when it is going to rain.

My parents are former farm kids (from this area, no less) and it is simply something they've always said.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Photo Spread
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Photo Spread   Author's Homepage   E-mail Photo Spread   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
For what it's worth... around here, summer thunderstorms create a lot of wind which flips over leaves before the actual rain hits. So you see the pale underside of leaves before you get any rain. The winds can be well in advance of the rainstorm, which may lend credence to the tale of "turned-over leaves = going to rain" (since turned-over leaves while it's raining are not nearly as exciting).

So, no scientific proof, just my observations.

--------------------
Photo Spread

Posts: 31 | From: Durham, NC | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages