snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » The Bad Side of the Penny

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Bad Side of the Penny
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 402 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is considered bad luck to pick up a penny on the tails side. But can the back side of the penny be a doomsday curse if you pick it up?

http://www.imao.us/archives/2003_06.html
Reference:
quote:
How long is a lucky penny lucky?

A lucky penny (a penny found lying on the ground face up) has a luck half-life of approximately one day (23 hours, 56 minutes, 12.87 seconds). Most luck should follow immediately after picking up of the penny.

If instead one picks up a penny of death (a penny found lying face down), your chance of dying that day increases by 1000%. On the other hand, you will be one cent richer.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DougW
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DougW     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always heard the old wive's tale about pennies tale side up being bad luck, but I never put much stock in it.

I figure anytime you find free money, even a penny, that is pretty good. I used to have a small jar...it was a one of those jars with a plunger that could be hermitically sealed if you were an old fashioned chemist. I kept all of my pennies found outside in public in it. When I cashed it in it had over $6.00 in it, and I bought a six pack of beer.

Posts: 154 | From: NewCastle, DE | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
cubbie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubbie   Author's Homepage   E-mail cubbie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always collected pennies in high school, tales or heads side up. From freshmen to my senior year, I collected about 30 dollars worth of change, mostly pennies. Kids in my school for some reason loved playing games with them during lunch and between classes and never took them with them.

--------------------
i reject reality and submit my own

Posts: 359 | From: Lansing, Michigan | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LemonLimeade
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LemonLimeade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now Doug, that six-pack increased your chances of death by 600,000 times! You're lucky you survived it [Big Grin]

--------------------
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Posts: 285 | From: Woodbridge, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages