snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Parlor trick that only women can do (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Parlor trick that only women can do
franjava
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for franjava     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have seen guys who can do it and women who can't, but in general, it's easier for gals. Pretty weird.

--------------------
Never eat anything given to you by a toddler.

Posts: 258 | From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
applepwnz
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for applepwnz   E-mail applepwnz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, my sister and I just tried at and she could do it (she did struggle a bit with it though) and I definetly couldn't
Posts: 22 | From: Central MA/Southern NH | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
eif
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eif     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As pointed out by others, Men are top heavy because of broader shoulders and the rest of the muscles that go into upper body strength. Women usually have wider hips and a bigger butt so more of their weight is lower. A woman's breast may cause her to have more difficulty standing up but overall, a man's ribcage should be bigger than a woman's (including the breast) of the same height. Also the breast being made of fatty tissue, would be less dense than muscle.

--------------------
Where I come from we believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it History.

Posts: 506 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KaiTheInvader
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KaiTheInvader   Author's Homepage   E-mail KaiTheInvader   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't do it..... I'm 5'8 1/2" though, so pretty tall for a woman. I dunno about the whole wider hips and bigger butt thing though, b/c I definitely have a big butt and wide hips, and a smaller sized chest.

--------------------
Resurrection of mankind to careen in silent pace. Feeling lonely. I am the dream that nobody dreams of, but will you dream of me, and dream of eternal desire? If you dream of me, will you live for me? Will you? Will you?

Posts: 344 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rocksong
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocksong     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does the weight of the chair matter? Even without the chair, I was just about toppling forward (male, 6'3). Also foot size must affect it.
Posts: 225 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Saluki Worship
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saluki Worship     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, exactly how big a chair are we talking?

Well, I'm a 5'7 female, and I can't do it.

Posts: 96 | From: Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 216 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am willing to bet this has more to do with the ratio of torso length to leg length than the presence of breasts. That would explain why some men can do it and some women cannot.
I am a long-torsoed, short-legged woman and I could not do it. In fact, I smacked the chair into the wall and then into my nose. I may have to move this post to "stupid ways you have injured yourself" now.

ETA: I am a 5'4" woman with size 7 feet and no hips or breasts to speak of [lol]

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Orgaz
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Orgaz   E-mail Orgaz       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is something similar that is easier to try. Stand with your back to a wall with your heels touching it then bend over and touch your toes. Women can do it but men will fail. I think it's all in the hips.
Posts: 11 | From: Leicester , England | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
stalker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stalker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
5'8 Male. Size 8(UK) feet. Attempt made with a stool because there were no chairs around.
I was able to lift it. But my weight was totally on my toes. I could tell that if I'd been doing it with a chair with the back next to the wall (as Artemis' link stated) the extra weight out there would've made me fail miserably.

--------------------
Fetishists Unite! Anti-Fetishists Untie!

Posts: 215 | From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe it is supposed to be that a mans center of gravity is his shoulders and a womans center of gravity is her hips. So that is why when a man trys to lift it he tips over.

I don't have the info to back it up but I'll try to find it somewhere but that is what I always heard.

Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nicki
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicki     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe it is supposed to be that a mans center of gravity is his shoulders and a womans center of gravity is her hips. So that is why when a man trys to lift it he tips over.

I don't have the info to back it up but I'll try to find it somewhere but that is what I always heard.

Posts: 332 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rsamboragal
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rsamboragal   Author's Homepage   E-mail rsamboragal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I heard a weird version of this that has nothing to do with a chair. I was told that if you take three steps from the wall (heel to toe), turn around so that you're facing the wall and bend at the waist, women's heads will touch the wall but men's won't. They have to lean forward for their head to hit the wall. The theory had something to do with how the pelvis is structured or something. My dad told me this when I was a kid and we actually tried it. Now that I'm an adult, I realize that this was silly. My father was an alcoholic, so that probably explains why he didn't get it right.

RSam"drinking and science don't mix"boragal

**edited upon discovery of a ridiculous spelling error***

--------------------
www.myspace.com/azharleydiva

Posts: 65 | From: Goodyear, AZ | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rocksong
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rocksong     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Conflicting information on centre of gravity and gender.

This popular science site, like many on the internet, says that men have a higher centre of gravity because we have broader shoulders and less fat on our hips: http://www.abc.net.au/couch/s209907.htm

But this scientific study says that men's centre of gravity is 57.1% of height for men, 56.4% of height for women. http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/MeetingAbstracts/102194954.html
i.e. there is a difference but it is very slight: less than 1%, way less than the variation within each gender.

Which makes me think that it's not about weight on the hips or shoulders, but just that men (on average) are taller and have bigger feet.

Posts: 225 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Artemis
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Artemis   E-mail Artemis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But then why can't I do it if I'm much smaller than the average man (and average woman, for that matter)?

--------------------
"You can't play Electro-magnetic Golf according to the rules of Centrifugal Bumble Puppy."
-Mustapha Mond, "Brave New World"

Posts: 679 | From: New York | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
stalker
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stalker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think the verticle position of the centre of gravity is really the issue. It's how much it moves horizontally when you bend over that matters. You can't get back up when your centre of mass has moved over the end of your toes and the wall is the only thing keeping you upright.
If you think of a free standing column with a mallet on the top of it and a pivot point where they meet.
If the mallet's head is resting on the column and you pivot the handle of the mallet out, the centre of mass will not move much.
Whereas, if the mallet's handle is on the column and you pivot the head out, the centre of mass will move more (even if the bottom of the column is made heavier to keep the centre of mass in the middle).

Men have more muscle in their shoulders and legs, so the mass is more at the extremes. Women have more of their mass in their hips so the weight is concentrated in the middle. So, even though the centre of mass isn't that much different, when you bend over, more of the men's mass moves horizontally.

--------------------
Fetishists Unite! Anti-Fetishists Untie!

Posts: 215 | From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Alluvian
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alluvian     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh, finally something I can easily do. This is a snap for me, but it probably has to do with my ankylosing spondylitis. My posture is quite hunched over due to it and it has caused me to develop some insanely strong lower back muscles and calf muscles. I can stand up, lean back forward, stand up, with the chair I could do about 10 reps before my back was too tired.

Male, 6foot unhunched, size 11.5 shoe.

Posts: 97 | From: Florida - USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages