snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Don't shower during lightning (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Don't shower during lightning
Canuckistan
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ali_marea:
Ok, while I appreciate the Red Cross trying to inform people, I think this is a little misleading:

quote:
Every thunderstorm produces lightning, which can strike as far as 10 miles away from any rainfall.

Um...no. Thunderstorms to do not produce lightning. Lightning produces thunder. That's how we get it. So a lightning storm may produce thunder, but you can't have thunder by itself.
That's not how I was reading it. I read it as the storm creates lightning, not the thunder.

And the storm would be behind the lightning, of course.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You are right, Canuckistan. But it is a tautology to say that "every thunderstorm produces lightning". A thunderstorm is, after all, a storm that produces lightning!
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Purple Iguana
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Iguana   Author's Homepage   E-mail Purple Iguana   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Or else it would just be a storm... right, Ganz?

--------------------
They just don't make crazed, beserk robots like they used to. --Sheen Estevez, Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

If I manage to post something swipe-worthy that you would like to make your sig, you may do so with my blessing.

Posts: 2486 | From: East Stroudsburg, PA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Right, Ganz.

From dictionary.com:
thun·der·storm n. A transient, sometimes violent storm of thunder and lightning, often accompanied by rain and sometimes hail.

quote:
No entry found for lightning storm.
Did you mean turn a nice dime?

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course I work in a radio station which is in a mettal building, we have all kinds of electronic and computer equipment, and we whear headphones plugged in to an audio control board taht has computers, cd players etc hooked to it. Nice to know I work in a death trap

Seriously though. I've had many arguments with my wife about how she thinks leaving the computer on will make it more likley to be struck by lightning. A point which I've brought up on other threads. Her thinking is if the computer gets struck while it's turned on then it must have been struck because it was turned on. Kind of like saying if your running the dish washer and it starts raining then the dish washer must have made it start raining. A point which seems to go right over her head.

We don't do anything that requires water or phone use during a storm. We are on the computers tracking the storm. and where is my computer located. Right by the front window and the front door and our bed is located right next to two windows. One at my side and one at the head board. Talk about hopeing for good luck.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It is common practice for the ground of a house's electrical system to be tied to the water main. In other words, if you have an electrical short in any 3-prong device, the dangerous current flow has a path to ground, through a wire attached to the incoming water pipe. A lightning strike in the vicinity of a house can elevate the "potential" of the ground, because of the thousands of amps flowing through the lightning strike. With the elevated ground voltage, you can have enough potential difference between two feet, or a hand and foot, to create a deadly current through the heart.

Ever see an electrical substation? Ever wonder why they are always covered in rock? It is to increase the contact resistance between one's foot and the ground. An electrical fault in a substation can have the same effect - thousands of amps flowing to ground elevate the voltage at that point. The voltage falls off with distance from the point of flow into the ground, however, there will still be a voltage gradient perpendicular to any line from the centre of this point. If your feet are sufficiently far apart, the voltage difference between your feet will be enough to cause a deadly current to flow.

This is why it is advisable to keep your feet together if you are in an area which is likely to be struck by lightning.

Lightning and lightning protection is one of the subsets of electrical engineering - in particular high-voltage and power engineering. I have a pretty good grip on this. Leaving a device *on* does make it more likely to be damaged, simply because the there will be a path for damaging current to flow. Except that most devices these days use solid-state switches which will turn on in the presence of a high voltage fault, so it really doesn't matter, as long as the device is plugged in.

After my uncle's brand-new Zenith TV (circa 1980) turned "on" permanently as a result of a lightning strike on the power system, for many years after this we unplugged expensive electronic devices (i.e. tv, stereo) when a storm was likely.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages