snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Moonburn

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moonburn
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 501 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Is it possible to get a "sunburn" from the moon? I went camping
this weekend, and was outside, under a full moon for about six hours, and
could swear I had a "sunburn" the next morning. Since the moon gets it's
glow from reflecting the UV from the sun, couldn't you technically get UV
damage at night?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lil' Molly
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lil' Molly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From this site:
quote:
Accordingly, moonlight is roughly 500,000 times less intense than direct sunlight, and thus has so much less sunburn-causing UV that there is no danger of "moonburn." If one assumes that a sunburn can be caused by 0.5 hours in direct sunlight, and simply scales that time by 500,000, you would have to be in the moonlight about 28.5 years without stopping to obtain the same burn.

--------------------
... and now back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

I have 15 points and owe 1 keyboard!

Posts: 394 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it possible the person had obtained the sunburn the previous day? Or just has sensitive skin, and had a reaction to something while camping?

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DaGuyWitBluGlasses
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DaGuyWitBluGlasses     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A sleeping bag doesn't move as freely as bed sheets, the burn might be from constant friction while sleeping.

It could also be an allergic or fungal rash.

(I can't remember the name, but there is a common fungus that can look like a tan, (and often is missed by the host during the summer because it doesn't look different from the surrounding skin.)

Posts: 201 | From: Toronto, ON | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bonnie
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 82 posted      Profile for Bonnie   E-mail Bonnie       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Accordingly, moonlight is roughly 500,000 times less intense than direct sunlight, and thus has so much less sunburn-causing UV that there is no danger of "moonburn." If one assumes that a sunburn can be caused by 0.5 hours in direct sunlight, and simply scales that time by 500,000, you would have to be in the moonlight about 28.5 years without stopping to obtain the same burn.
On the other hand, I've heard that moonlight posed a real problem for members of the various Apollo missions: getting a bad moonburn was a serious offense since it constituted destruction of government property.

Bonnie "one small step for tan" Taylor

--------------------
Se non č vero, č ben trovato.

Posts: -99014 | From: Chapel Hill, North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
geminilee
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for geminilee   E-mail geminilee   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that the figures stated were for sunlight reflected off the moon and through the Earth's atmosphere. I imagine it would be much stronger without the scattering effect of the atmosphere.

--------------------
"Accompanied by the ghosts of dolphins, the ghost of a ship sailed on..." Terry Pratchett

Posts: 660 | From: Gainesville, FL | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by geminilee:
I think that the figures stated were for sunlight reflected off the moon and through the Earth's atmosphere. I imagine it would be much stronger without the scattering effect of the atmosphere.

Well, there is another (much much more important reason) that the astronauts on the Moon would receive much more UV from that reflected light (if your post is in response to that comment). The amount of light is inversely proportional to the distance. So if you're one meter, or even a few kilometers from the moon, the UV you get is far greater than you'd get doing a spacewalk in Earth orbit.
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sun reflecting off the water & sand can burn you more intensely than just direct sun. As posted above, that's b/c you're only a few feet from the reflected surface, not thousands of miles.

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jimmy101
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimmy101   E-mail jimmy101   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hoitoider:
Sun reflecting off the water & sand can burn you more intensely than just direct sun. As posted above, that's b/c you're only a few feet from the reflected surface, not thousands of miles.

The second sentence is not true. The distance from a flat reflective surface is irrelevant. Only the total distance from light source to the object it hits matters.

The only way a reflected beam can be brighter than the direct beam is if the reflective surface is concave.

Posts: 629 | From: Greenwood, IN | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Enjal
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Enjal   E-mail Enjal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if this person actually had wind burn. I've been out in strong winds and woken up the next morning with my face (only part exposed) looking quite pink and feeling a little dry and tight like it does when I've gotten a bit too much sun.

--------------------
"I'm a leaf in the wind"
New Lungs for George

Posts: 2719 | From: the other Portland (US) | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've actually had sunburn appear (as in visually red and hurting) hours after getting out of the direct sunlight. It sounds weird, I know.

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lydia Oh Lydia:
I've actually had sunburn appear (as in visually red and hurting) hours after getting out of the direct sunlight. It sounds weird, I know.

That happens to me too. I call it my time delay skin. The redness and pain usually shows up two to three hours after I get out of the sun. I can leave the sunshine exactly the same colour I was when I started but still have enough of a burn to peel in sheets later.

Mind you, I have the type of skin which could burn at midnight on a moonless winter night while hiding under the bed. You've gotta love fish-belly white skin.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose that's why vampires buy so much moonblock.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lydia Oh Lydia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lydia Oh Lydia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, that sounds like me. You'd think that with such fair skin, the burn would show/feel immediately.

BTW, I prefer the terms milky white or alabaster to fish-belly white. [Smile]

--------------------
"My name is the symbol for my identity and must not be lost." Motto of the Lucy Stone League.

Posts: 1815 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It does sound more dignified.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages