snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » June Weddings –- The Myth, Truth and Media Hype

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: June Weddings –- The Myth, Truth and Media Hype
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 04 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What’s all the hype about June weddings? Talk to many wedding professionals and learn that many contemporary brides are breaking tradition. September and October now surpass June in many parts of the country.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/6/prweb396866.htm

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
csel's in 2nd Grade
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for csel's in 2nd Grade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got married in June because I was on vacation then....who wants to get married and then go back to the first graders on Monday??!?

My sis-in-law is getting married in Spetember and has had quite a time getting things squared away, partially because of everyone else's fall weddings....

--------------------
"What is sin? I think sin is failure to grow."
-Lauren Slater, "Prozac Diary"

Posts: 172 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We were married in January, between semesters, six months before we graduated.

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Auntie Witch
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Auntie Witch   Author's Homepage   E-mail Auntie Witch   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got married in June because it was the earliest we could manage with everyone's schedules, and we wanted sooner rather than later so our baby wouldn't be too "premature". [fish]

Actually, it was kinda cool. We got married on my parent's aniversary, so their 25th was our 1st.

--------------------
"Feel my head! I feel like a puppy!" -My mother
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month!
Myspace about my mom, kids

Posts: 3289 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife and I got married on July 25th 1998. It will be eight years next month. We chose that date because it was close to the anniversery of our first date July 20 1995 and my birthday July 31st.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I worked in a tuxedo rental during college ca. 1980, August was almost as big a month for us as June. Although why anyone would schedule anything during August in St. Louis was a bit of a mystery.

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Raven Waift
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raven Waift   Author's Homepage   E-mail Raven Waift   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We are getting married August, because a friend wanted to perform a handfasting for us at Pennsic- which is in August- and we wanted to be legally married beforehand, but not too much beforehand.

My mom was married to my father in November 3 weeks after I was born, and was married to my stepdad in December- 2 weeks after they got engaged.

2 of my cousins (on the same side of the family) are getting married in September and October. My family gets 3 weddings in 3 months.

--------------------
Whereas as you are dancing happily in the fields of ignorance through which the stream of stupidity bubbles and flows. -BlushingBride
My my space.

Posts: 656 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mommyrex
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mommyrex     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zman977:
My wife and I got married on July 25th 1998. It will be eight years next month. We chose that date because it was close to the anniversery of our first date July 20 1995 and my birthday July 31st.

Similar to our story -- several days before the second anniversary of our "first date", I casually mentioned to my boyfriend that since we could remember that date, we should just go ahead and get married on Tuesday. And he fell for it! We celebrate 10 years on Sunday. [Smile]

--------------------
We also ask that you follow the guidelines above and try not to over-think these guidelines.
- the transportation safety administration's permitted and prohibited items air travel list

Posts: 240 | From: Kansas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We got married on June 21st for lots of reasons - summer solstice, midsummer's, long daylight hours and finally the perennially romantic... availability of venue [Big Grin]

We both had flu (and I do mean flu, not a bad cold - in all our wedding pictures we have glazed eyes and a fevered brow) and it rained, so it really was the longest day in every sense...

ETA spelling corrections

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
wee wifey
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wee wifey   E-mail wee wifey   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
there are dozens of myths surrounding weddings, most pertaining to good luck & Bad Luck (I beleive some chap called snopes has a whole section dedicated to them.

I nigh on managed to do every "unlucky" thing I could for my wedding.

firstly it was in May (marry in May, repent all day....)
My Bridesmaids wore Green (and unfortunately not one fairy ran off with them)
My Husband to be saw me in my veil before the wedding (hey it was in the house and it was fun [Wink] )
I'm sure I left the house by the wrong foot as well.

well I'm still here, and have managed to clock up 13 months of marriage (I'd say that's good by Brittany standards [Big Grin] )

--------------------
once known as little miss

"I don't Pretend to be an ordinary Housewife" Elizabeth Taylor

Posts: 2416 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We got married on June 8 because we had graduated from college the day before that, and we had the robes rented over the weekend anyway.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wee wifey:
there are dozens of myths surrounding weddings, most pertaining to good luck & Bad Luck (I beleive some chap called snopes has a whole section dedicated to them.

I nigh on managed to do every "unlucky" thing I could for my wedding.

firstly it was in May (marry in May, repent all day....)

I'm not superstitious, but I married in May and I repented for more than a day! [lol]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loyhargil
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loyhargil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ya know, I can't think of a single person in my family who had a June wedding. Mom and Dad are January, my sister was August, my grandparents on one side August, my grandparents on the other March... my brother the cowboy came the closest with July. And it would have been January, but, well let me just say that the pistol on my sister-in-law's garter should have been a shotgun. Ha!

Me? My philosophy is, pick a day they can't screw up and forget. The first marriage was Thanksgiving Day. I'm mostly thankful now that I'm out. My second wedding - Tax Day. We can use those refunds to buy nice presents.

--------------------
Bender: Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Posts: 1170 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents were married on the 6th of June. When my mother died just short of the 48th anniversary of their meeting, my father's only regret was that they had not married on the 5th of May.

Seaboe

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We were married on June 13th because we wanted a Friday the 13th wedding. Unfortunately when we were planning it, neither of us had a calendar so we figured it out in our heads and fingers when the next convenient Friday the 13th was, and it was in June of the next year. Except after we told everyone the date, and started planning, we realized the next year was a leap year. So we were married on Saturday the 13th. Oops!

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Both sets of grandparents were married in June. With the one set, I'm not sure if they married then because they had to, or if they just started the marriage early. [Smile]

We also got married on July 25th, but in 1992. I graduated from college at the end of May, and we decided on the date as a compromise between too soon after graduation, and not too long to be apart (we were on separate coasts, when I was back at my parents' house).

I wonder if June is a relic of farming? Not so much to do in June. Everything's planted, and nothing's ready to harvest. And I think all the farm babies are born by then.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tzarina
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tzarina     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We were married on April 16, 2005. We chose the 16th because it's a 'lucky' number for us. Plus, I couldn't take time off near the end or the first of any month. In the title business, the end of the month is way too busy to have anyone out of the office. And the first few days of the month are cleaning up after the end.

April worked for us as a good shot at being not too cold (80° the day of the wedding, a foot of snow the next week) and things were cheaper because we were out of season for summer weddings.

Posts: 1359 | From: Akron, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zorro
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zorro     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We got married on March 31st. It was in a relatively inexpensive month to get married, and it was also very close to our dating anniversary (March 17th). Someone else we knew was already getting married on the 17th, though, and the 24th was taken at the reception hall we wanted, so we picked the 31st.

--------------------
"Seize the day! Make your lives extraordinary!"
-John Keating, "Dead Poets Society"

Posts: 2861 | From: New Jersey | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Loyhargil:
Me? My philosophy is, pick a day they can't screw up and forget.

My parents were married on New Year's Day. This works out because they always get the day off. Sometimes they get entire holiday weekends.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sleeping_dragon
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sleeping_dragon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
June weddings aren't very popular here in NZ. Too good of a chance that you'll get rained on. Or frozen, if this past June is anything to go by. [Razz]

I just got married in February, which has a nice easy 2-4-6 date to remember when using the American format. Not quite as nice in NZ format though.

I'm from Ohio though, and this is how the weddings in my family fell:

Parents: June 30th

Brother 1: February, in Arkansas. I fainted because of the stuffiness and heat. [Embarrassed]
Brother 2: July, moved up from October because of a wish to have an earlier end to wedding planning fighting.
Brother 3: January, in California
Brother 4: December. Very nice pics with the snow and all. But man, it was cold.
Brother 5: March, a day after my SIL's birthday
And my first marriage was in October, mostly because I wanted pretty fall leaves in my pics.

So, from my experiences, I think that many people getting married rely less on a traditional June thing and more on what really works for them.

--------------------
He who angers you controls you.

Posts: 33 | From: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LyndaD
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LyndaD   E-mail LyndaD   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
DH and I got married in Dec, when the kids were off for Christmas vacation, because we knew we'd have them all with us (six of them). Those pesky visitation schedules really are inconvenient. We originally picked Jan. 1, but our pastor was going to be out of town, so we went with Dec. 31. Last Dec. 31, we celebrated our 10 year aniversary by renewing our vows. We had 3 months to plan the renewal ceremony (from when we decided to do it), but 4 weeks to plan the original wedding. Both turned out nice,and we all had a great time, so I told DH we needed to do it again on the 20!

--------------------
I'll drive it ugly. You can't see the paint job when you're behind the wheel, anyway.

Posts: 570 | From: Central Valley, California | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Much like NZ, you won't get many June weddings down here either! We had one set of friends who married in May (outdoors, too - and I don't know how she managed with a sleeveless dress!) but most of my friends married between December and February. One did get married in September, but she was in England at the time.

Hubby and I married in February, and despite my wearing a green dress, we're still together!

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking for NZ a little more: In my [not so small] experience, things start hotting up for weddings beginning mid September, go crazy over the Christmas/ New Year breaks [long weekends] as well as the local anniversary weekend and Waitangi [late Jan, early Feb] then things go crazy until Easter, and stop completely until next September.

Apart from the occasional really rural couple who phone and say "We're coming over to [Walmart Equivalent] next Wednesday afternoon, can you marry us while we're in town?"

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Colonel Zoidberg
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Colonel Zoidberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always noticed wedding season spans from about April to about September, with other assorted spots being thrown in. I won't be following any of that tradition, mind you.

My parents got married in August 1976 - and divorced in August 1987 or so. Not fun.

My dad remarried on July 14, 1991 - that lasted until 2002. Pfft. Divorce runs in my family.

The bright side for me? My grandparents on my mom's side. Married July 14, 1951 (yes, the same date as my dad and stepmom, but that was a coincidence.) Still married. Still haven't driven each other mad. Also, my grandpa is in my wedding party, and my fiancee loves him to death.

My fiancee's parents got married in June 1982. Her father died in June 1992. Ouch.

Her mom got remarried in October 1999. Her stepdad died in 2004. The same way as her father had - a sudden, massive heart attack. Double ouch. I was there for her stepdad; I never even came close to having the chance to meet her dad. Her mom and I are very close, though.

The most recent wedding I attended was four years ago, when my uncle got (re)married. His first wife split with him, took their son, and ran off to God-knows-where, and she accused him of molesting their son. I assure you, he did no such thing. My uncle did have some rough spots in his life, but he's done a hell of a job for himself and actually referred me to my current job. He got married to a lady who is actually serving as one of my fiancee's bridesmaids (and is her easiest to work with as well...the others have been damn near impossible at times) and they got married in April.

Me? Well, my fiancee and I kicked around several dates and were originally planning a destination wedding for next August. That got to be too difficult, though, and I decided to give her what she really wanted - the chance to be married by the priest she grew up with (this priest was a friend of her late father's and is a hell of a nice guy...he's a bit odd, but he's cool. He talks really fast and he doesn't appear ever to age.) I did that for her because I thought it would be simpler. Well, now that the guest list is over 100 people and includes people we both could do without, it's not simple at all. We're counting the days until our wedding (129 at this point.)

Posts: 105 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents were married on December 26. They did so because my dad got a short vacation for Christmas while he was in Air Force training and was able to come home for a few days.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My parents got married on November 14 and they will be having their 40th anniversary this year. Why the 14th? Because there wasn't an opening on a Friday the 13th at the courthouse and my dad was shipping off to Vietnam shortly. (they were married in traffic court!).

I got married on November 28, 1986 (20 years this year!). Because it was a four-day weekend for Thanksgiving and I had that Friday off from school and most of our guests had it off from work. I was back to school on Monday with a name-change. [Smile] I was wearing a spahgetti-strapped wedding dress (with a sheer overlay) in the cold of Winter in Alaska.

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kaki0401
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaki0401     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend's parents got married on July 4th. This was the only day that the bride's father would close his shop to attend his daughter's wedding.
Posts: 26 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages