snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » British dental care (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: British dental care
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 05 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Lately I've been hearing the stereotype that Brits have lousy teeth. Where did this come from? I find it confusing: why the Brits? I'm sure there are plenty of qualified dentists in the UK and trust me, there are dental journals (I worked in a medical library for 13 years) out there.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it is Brits of a certain age have bad teeth - I think it is the Brits that grew up between WWI and WWII.
http://www.time.com/time/archive/preview/0,10987,792470,00.html

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
guruwan2b

Icon 1 posted      Profile for guruwan2b   Author's Homepage   E-mail guruwan2b   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would think that any country would have people with bad teeth during times of rationing or famine.

--------------------
Too much of this navel gazing and we'll disappear up our own arses.
Danvers Carew

Posts: 7465 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
7thWheel
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 7thWheel   E-mail 7thWheel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Its because the Brittish do not have flouride added to thier drinking water like us Yanks do. No flouride = bad teeth.
Posts: 59 | From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Phaedra
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phaedra   E-mail Phaedra   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
I think it is Brits of a certain age have bad teeth - I think it is the Brits that grew up between WWI and WWII.
http://www.time.com/time/archive/preview/0,10987,792470,00.html

Dental treatment improved greatly with the advent of the National Health Service after the second world war but following a dispute over pay in the nineties many dentists closed their NHS lists and for ten years in the town where I live there has been no NHS dental provision.

Children are entitled to NHS dental treatment but slight irregularities in teeth are often not treated under this scheme so not nearly as mamy kids have braces fitted as they do in the other countries. This may also be because their parents don't insist on it. We don't seem to place much value on perfect teeth.

I do think another period of people with lousy teeth is upon us now. If you are poor and on benefit you qualify for NHS dentistry. If you are rich you can afford it. If you are just about getting by then the exhorbitant dental fees might well be beyond your means. This is worrying because many people can now only afford very basic treatment and will choose extraction above root canal treatment for instance because the former costs £50.00 per tooth and the latter is about £300.00

Middle class may have to be redefined as Toothless class if this trend continues.

quote:
Originally posted by 7thWheel:
Its because the Brittish do not have flouride added to thier drinking water like us Yanks do. No flouride = bad teeth.

Oh yes we do. Well at least most of us do. There is a debate going on about it though as many regard it as poisonous and want it removed.
Posts: 589 | From: Oxfordshire, UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It depends what you mean by bad teeth. If you mean unattractive teeth, I think.. and it's only my uncitable think... that the importance of securing straight white teeth is a fairly recent development here in the UK.

Subsidised dental treatment (and free treatment for certain groups eg minors and pregnant women) used to be quite readily available on the NHS as recently as 15 years ago. Due to an increase in privatisation and some funding blunders ( more here , NHS dentistry is now extremely difficult to secure. I think vast swathes of the country who remember dentistry as being local affordable have suddenly found that costs are prohibitive and therefore won't see a dentist until it becomes an emergency.

ETA - Spanked by Phaedra! But also wanted to add (since my last link wasn't specific to dentistry) this one. It explains a mistrust of dentists which built up during the 1990's due to suspicions about "drill & fill" dentists who carried out work that wasn't needed in order to secure NHS funding. Since during the 90's many people were losing their familiar NHS dentist and having to deal with a newer and more expensive dentist, a stereotype developed of dentists being untrustworthy.

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not that we have bad teeth. We're just not quite as...'obsessed'* with having them as perfectly straight and white as people in America.

Cost me nigh-on £30 to have a check up last month [Eek!]

*I can't think of an appropriate word.

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder why we are so obsessed with straight white teeth. I know that teeth are really important to me, and one thing that is a major turn off is someone that is well enough off to get their teeth taken care of that spends their money on something else.

I have had dental insurance on and off, and even in off periods I have still gone to the dentist and paid to have the checkups and whatever work done. Even with insurance, straight and white cost extra and I paid for the straight and am about to pay for the white. And I'm terrified of the dentist and have panic attacks when I'm there, and I still go because nice teeth are extremely important to me.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:
It's not that we have bad teeth. We're just not quite as...'obsessed'* with having them as perfectly straight and white as people in America.

It's not quite that simple, either. As a whole, American culture emphasizes straight, white, very-well-cared-for teeth. But there are plenty of people here who don't take care of their teeth. In some cases, they lack dental insurance and can't afford to pay for dental care out of their own pockets. In other cases, they just don't like, or are afraid of, dentists. I had a co-worker, an extremely intelligent and well-educated man, who failed to go to the dentist for 10 years, even for a check up, despite having the same excellent dental insurance I had.

quote:
Cost me nigh-on £30 to have a check up last month [Eek!]
I imagine it would cost at least that much here. Fortunately, it's been years since I was without dental insurance, and the standard coverage here is 100% for preventive care, 80% for minor work (fillings, etc.), and 50% for major work (root canals, crowns). The scheme is designed to encourge preventive care, but it doesn't always work.

ETA: Personally, I'm a freak about my teeth, but I think I have reason to be. I went through major orthodontia to correct an extremely severe overbite. Pre-orthodontia, my upper front center teeth protruded at about a 45-degree angle. So there was a large investment of money (my parents'), discomfort (mine), and time (all of ours). Unfortunately, it left me with major root loss in those front teeth, so now I have to take extra steps to avoid losing them.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 01 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Neffti:
It depends what you mean by bad teeth. If you mean unattractive teeth,

That's the problem; the comedian monologues et al just go on and on about British dentistry or lack thereof. [Roll Eyes] Sorry, I don't find it funny. I hear something like "British dental care?! *snort*!" and I think how do you know they have horrible dentistry? There's probably some Americans that have horrible dental care too! Yes, I can be way too serious at times. [Roll Eyes]

Lainie, you may want to tell your colleague about sedation dentistry.

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Neffti Noel     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just thought of something else on the attractive teeth front. I have found that many UKers regard their crooked teeth as a badge against vanity or conformity.

I'm talking here about bleached white dazzlingly straight teeth, as opposed to teeth that have had major, health-threatening defects corrected.

You're right though DawnStorm, it is a stereotype that perhaps comedians are lazy to draw on. People all over the world pay vastly differing regard to dental beauty, it's strange that the UK seems to get singled out.

I did feel very cross with Kate Beckinsale when she was interviewed on Jonathan Ross and said that she keeps her teeth nice and waxes her NFBSK specifically to "fly the flag for British actresses in Hollywood." No, Kate, that's called conforming...

Posts: 1157 | From: Westcountry UK "It's Bootiful" | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DawnStorm:
Lainie, you may want to tell your colleague about sedation dentistry.

Actually, in his case, I don't believe fear was the issue. I think it was simply inertia. I don't understand that at all, but as I said, I'm a tooth freak. I would no more skip my twice-yearly dental checkups than I would skip my annual Pap (about which I am also a freak, but that's another story).

quote:
I did feel very cross with Kate Beckinsale when she was interviewed on Jonathan Ross and said that she keeps her teeth nice and waxes her NFBSK specifically to "fly the flag for British actresses in Hollywood."

Ugh. That's sickening. Especially the waxing bit.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
Ugh. That's sickening. Especially the waxing bit.

Glad you agree Lainie. Apart from being insulting to women on both sides of the pond, it's depressing to think those issues would be a flags worth flying.
Toys for big boys.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toys for big boys.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had white fillings out in because they worked out cheaper.

My front teeth are discoloured and sort of jagged, but I'm in no hurry to "fix" them. They do their job properly and thats all that amtters to me.

--------------------
I am not taking lectures on physics from a man in tights.

Posts: 236 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   E-mail Cold DecEmbra Brings The Sleet   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
it's depressing to think those issues would be a flags worth flying.
Her NFBSK is like a flag?? [Eek!]
The mind boggles...

Anyway, I spent quite a lot of time visiting the dentist and the orthodontist when I was younger. I wore braces for quite some time to correct prominent "vampire" canines. My teeth are relatively straight but they are of irregular sizes and have saw-edges. I'm fine with them.

I last went to the dentist about 2 or 3 years ago for a check-up. I live in an area where there a quite a lot of NHS dentists, but a lot of them have closed lists or only take on new work for check-ups (then charge for any work beyond the simplest filling). I don't have any fillings, so there [Razz]

There is a slight risk that my lower wisdom teeth may cause me a problem at some point, if they decide to show themselves. At the moment they are resting peacefully so I'm not going to disturb them.

I think that the NHS system leads people to expect medical treatment to be free at the point of delivery. When they find out that even an NHS check-up costs £20 or £30 (unless you are on benefits), they put the check-up off and the idea goes off the radar. Add to that a general lack of interest in "perfect" teeth, and you have a recipe for a population who don't visit the dentist as often as they should.

--------------------
I want you to lay down your life, Perkins. We need a futile gesture at this stage. It will raise the whole tone of the war.

Posts: 4495 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a canine that actualy comes out of my gum above the other teeth, as well as an overbite. Hasn't ever bothered me too much, except I look silly when I wear my werewolf fangs (Well I probably would've anyway)

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Victoria J
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Victoria J   E-mail Victoria J   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always though part of the reason why it was less of an issue here is that bad teeth did not equal poor. When we started to get decent dental care then everyone had access to dentistry, and everyone got the major problems fixed. No one mush* bothered with purely cosmetic work. You could not tell someones class or income from teeth.

Whereas in the US having bad teeth is a sign of poverty. It would be like wearing thread bare and cheap clothing (only worse because it is permanent). So if you have the money you have the work done. And if you don't have the work done everyone will make certain assumptions about you.

Cosmetic dentistry is starting to catch on over here, and people do seem to be aiming for the American actor look. And as more people with the money to spare spend their money on it more people will feel under pressure to do so.

(Something similar seems to be happening with plastic surgery - in (rich) communities where everyone has work done a "too large" nose etc. will show you to be an outsider, unfortunately nothing yet is going to stop the rich and vain having ugly children [Razz] )

I have healthy but ugly teeth. I could have had a brace free but my parents had an argument with the dentist (who could not answer questions as to whether the procedure was purely cosmetic) so no brace. I am a little self conscious about them. I also have missing teeth - I have only just grown in 3 of my 4 wisdom teeth (at 29) and have no canines (which seems to be genetic, as neither does my father)- so I guess the brace wouldn't have been that much use by itself.

ETA *this MUST be a freudian slip.

Victoria J.

--------------------
Post accompanied by maniacal laughter.

Posts: 577 | From: London, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
liebeslied
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liebeslied     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
she keeps her teeth nice and waxes her NFBSK specifically to "fly the flag for British actresses in Hollywood." No, Kate, that's called conforming...

*sigh*
I liked her when she was British. Now she's just another Hollywood ho.

Posts: 105 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Embra:
quote:
it's depressing to think those issues would be a flags worth flying.
Her NFBSK is like a flag?? [Eek!]
The mind boggles...

Must... resist... joke... about... flagpole...

ETA: Is it just me or does she look a lot like Mary-Louise Parker?

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ophiuchus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ophiuchus   E-mail Ophiuchus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interestingly, if you look at pictures from many places that you would not expect the people to be healthy or well taken care of, they end up with really good teeth.

I was watching a documentary about children of prostitutes in India and all the people in the dirt-poor town had almost perfect teeth.

Posts: 411 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MeliKoritsi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MeliKoritsi   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ophiuchus:
Interestingly, if you look at pictures from many places that you would not expect the people to be healthy or well taken care of, they end up with really good teeth.

I was watching a documentary about children of prostitutes in India and all the people in the dirt-poor town had almost perfect teeth.

Born into Brothels? That was a wonderful documentary, and you're right... everyone had great teeth.

--------------------
"In the harsh light of day, your plans seem crude and childish, making it all the more obvious that you need a good planning lamp."
>Liquor in the front, poker in the rear<

Posts: 424 | From: Edina, Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brownie Boy
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brownie Boy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
sorry, all i can think of is austin powers.

--------------------
Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday

Posts: 10 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DevilBunny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DevilBunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
British dental care? Do we still have that?

I live five minutes' walk from a dentist. I can't find one who'll take me on, though, for love nor money (well, not money that I can actually afford to pay, anyway).

This means I haven't been to a dentist in ten years, and my teeth develop cavities like cats develop hairballs, so I hate to think how much it would cost to actually get them seen to now [Frown]

On the bright side, they're nice and white and straight...

--------------------
"For God has seven thousand names, and one of them is bastard"

Posts: 420 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Neffti Noel
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by DevilBunny:
British dental care? Do we still have that?

I live five minutes' walk from a dentist. I can't find one who'll take me on, though, for love nor money (well, not money that I can actually afford to pay, anyway).

This means I haven't been to a dentist in ten years, and my teeth develop cavities like cats develop hairballs, so I hate to think how much it would cost to actually get them seen to now [Frown]

On the bright side, they're nice and white and straight...

DevilBunny, see this scale of the new NHS charges. Of course you'll have to find an NHS dentist with open books (I have to make a 100 mile round trip for mine), but it does seem to suggest that £189 is the top limit on what you would need to pay for multiple large treatments prescribed at one check-up.

I say "it does seem" because even though my dentist is fantastic and has proved to be professional and trustworthy, my first question to her when she finds a problem is always "How much extra will it cost?" It's that "drill and fill" worry again.

Red Squirrel
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think there may be two issues at play here. There was an article in the Guardian a few weeks ago about why Glaswegians, in particular, have such dental problems going back hundreds of years. The answer, it was concluded, was the sugar trade mixed with the lack of free dentists up until the 1940's.

However, although British teeth are probably now about similar to teeth in the rest of the developed world and have been since the advent of the NHS I will go out on a limb and wonder out loud whether the US old chestnut about British teeth being awful may be more a jibe at our state funded health system rather than a realistic reflection on heath standards.

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Straight teeth are pretty, but looks are not the only reason to correct malocclusion. Sometimes a poor bite can lead to other problems or complications. It's easier to clean teeth properly if they are not crowded.

snap-I was a metal mouth-dragonfly

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

My pre-orthodontia bite was actually bad enough to interfere with eating and drinking. I wasn't in danger of starving or anything, but certain things were awkward or impossible -- like taking a bite out of a whole apple, or drinking from a bottle of soda.

--------------------

Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I wonder why we are so obsessed with straight white teeth. I know that teeth are really important to me, and one thing that is a major turn off is someone that is well enough off to get their teeth taken care of that spends their money on something else.

Straight, clean teeth (not necessarily a movie star smile though) are really important to me, too. For me they are an indicator of overall health. I won't kiss a person with bad teeth. Yellow teeth make someone look like they're diseased, or at least a heavy smoker. I'm very health conscious and I use teeth as an indicator of health.

And I know it sounds mean but severely crooked teeth are also associated with low intelligence, interbreeding, and poverty. In America rich, healthy, intelligent people are portrayed as having that "perfect" smile. I never cared about my teeth as a child but I had a severe overbite, buck teeth, and a gap between my teeth almost a centimeter wide. My front teeth were growing at opposite angles out of my mouth. My parents spent over 10 years and thousands of dollars to correct the formation of my mouth, and I still have to wear a retainer if I don't want the gap to re-appear. So I think my parents may have heavily influenced the way I view teeth.

I've been called shallow for my desire to date a man with straight, clean teeth. I don't mean dazzling bleached ultra-whites, but just healthy ones. If someone has the money to have their crooked teeth straightened, it would be a turn-off to me if they didn't. I guess part of it is the American portrayal of someone with crooked teeth as having low intelligence or bad health. Part of it may also be the environment in which I was raised, where braces and retainers were commonly used to fix overbites and severe gaps.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Polyeth12
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Polyeth12     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brownie Boy:
sorry, all i can think of is austin powers.

IIRC, the first Austin Powers movie was released around the time that Hugh Grant was caught with that prostitute. I remember Elizabeth Hurley doing an interview for the movie and the interviewer mentioned how "bad British teeth" was kind of a running gag in the movie. She said something along the lines of the stereotype being true and then mentioned that Hugh had really bad teeth. Then she called him over (he must have been hanging out on the set of the interview) and made him show off his crooked bottom teeth (his top ones look like they've been worked on...caps may be?) There was just something about the way she demanded that he show off his teeth that suggested that after his affair he pretty much had to do whatever she wanted him to. [lol]
Posts: 33 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abigsmurf
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 7thWheel:

actually flouride in water often leads to flourosis (when people have those white bands on their teeth)
Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc J.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Would you describe yourself as shallow ?
Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snapdragonfly
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snapdragonfly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc J.:
quote:

Would you describe yourself as shallow ?
Shallow? I guess that depends on what the other choice of where to spend the money was.

If someone had really bad teeth and had the money to fix them but chose to spend them on something really quite unneccessary, like the biggest TV on the block or a 60,000 car when a 40,000 one would have done nicely, I'd have to say THAT would be the shallow choice. And to me, a big, big turn off. If they spent every dime on orphans, I'd have quite a struggle with my conscience about it, but...I guess it just depends on how bad the teeth were. If they were, like, rotting, I'd have to say he'd need to be just a little bit "shallow" and fix them.

I have to agree with Cervus that to an extent, teeth are an indication of health. And I have to agree with Rhiandmoi that if someone could afford to fix bad teeth but chooses not to - well, that's something I'm not going to understand. They don't have to be totally Hollywood but if somebody has obviously unfilled cavities or periodontis disease, their mouth isn't going to get within three feet of mine - I also have very little tolerance for bad breath, as in none. I floss daily and so does Mr. Snap. I can't help it - guys don't have to have perfect muscles or hair (or even any hair) but good oral health is something that is not negotiable with me.

--------------------
"Wolves, dragons and vampires, man. Draw the nut-bars like big ol' nut-bar magnets." ~evilrabbit

(snurched because one of my nutbar family members is all about wolves and another one is all about dragons...)(with apologies to surfcitydogdad)

Posts: 2397 | From: Texarkana, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But discoloured or crooked teeth have got bog all to do with good oral hygiene. Tea and coffee and red wine etc. can all stain your teeth no matter how often you brush them but the teeth themselves can still be perfectly healthy underneath; people's teeth can grow crookedly yet still be absolutely healthy.

I think you need to reassess your definition of "shallow". Spending your money on having your teeth fixed to conform to some preconceived notion of "good teeth" smack far more to me of shallowness than buying something nice like a new car - or rather, YOUR preference that they do the former rather than the latter does.

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc J.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mosherette:
But discoloured or crooked teeth have got bog all to do with good oral hygiene. Tea and coffee and red wine etc. can all stain your teeth no matter how often you brush them but the teeth themselves can still be perfectly healthy underneath; people's teeth can grow crookedly yet still be absolutely healthy.

I think you need to reassess your definition of "shallow". Spending your money on having your teeth fixed to conform to some preconceived notion of "good teeth" smack far more to me of shallowness than buying something nice like a new car - or rather, YOUR preference that they do the former rather than the latter does.

Absolutely Mosh.

My teeth are a bit yellow and that is because I smoke and drink coffee and red wine - all of which tend to stain teeth. But other than that, they're just fine. I have a few fillings and (despite years of orthodontic work) a slight underbite.

None of this has anything to do with my overall level of health.

Now, I have the money to go out this minute and have my teeth bleached, but I won't, because it just isn't that important to me.

Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Doc J.

quote:
Originally posted by snapdragonfly:
They don't have to be totally Hollywood but if somebody has obviously unfilled cavities or periodontis disease, their mouth isn't going to get within three feet of mine

But nobody was talking about peridontitis, or weeping abscesses - the words used were straight and white.

We're not talking basic oral hygeine, we're discussing elective cosmetic procedures.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages