snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Do most people dream in black and white? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Do most people dream in black and white?
DevilBunny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DevilBunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also dream in glorious colour. And hear/touch/smell/taste and experience intense emotions too (without waking up!).

I also compose music. This is annoying. I'll have a dream with an original soundtrack (usually incorporating a single repeated theme) but gradually the music will go away as I wake up.

I know it's original because I recognise the non-original stuff that's used (I once had a dream based around A Whiter Shade of Pale).

I can't compose good music in waking life.

--------------------
"For God has seven thousand names, and one of them is bastard"

Posts: 420 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
lazerus the duck
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lazerus the duck   E-mail lazerus the duck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Whe I dream about flying for 3 seconds after I wake up I can remember how to do it, it is so simple then I forget. Now that is annoying.

--------------------
All the world's a face, And all the men and women merely acne.

Posts: 673 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sweet Home California
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sweet Home California     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dreams are always in color. I can't recall ever having a dream in black and white. (I think I've had that flying problem, too.)

--------------------
I really hate one-eyed flying purple people eaters! I mean, seriously! They're all like, "I like to eat people, I'm purple, I fly and I have one eye!"-We've Got Mail!

The first game ever made using sand, water, oil, and a snail.

Posts: 176 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Em
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Em   E-mail Em   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I dream in colour.

My problem with flying dreams is an excess of logic... or something. If I can't push off from a fixed object or grab onto something that is already moving I just float there in one spot. You'd think dreams would be exempt from Newtons first and second laws.

--------------------
What the NFBSK does YOMANK mean?

Posts: 1646 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Venus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venus   E-mail Venus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dream in color, and i can taste, read, compose music (which is annoying cause i can't compose music at all while awake, i can't even play an instrument, but i can come up with gorgeous soundtracks while dreaming) I've even written entire songs while dreaming. Only technically i didn't write the song. i dreamed i was at an evanescence concert and they performed a new song that doesn't exist in real life. it was pretty too. I can feel limited pain, feel texture/temperature, etc.
Posts: 177 | From: Orlando, Florida | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dream in colour. I've had weird dreams where I can only see in shades of red or green. I get gorgeous soundtracks (piano, orchestral or rock opera), but I can't read or compose music in waking life. I keep a notepad handy as I've composed poetry or even whole stories in my dreams (I put the more coherent ones online at http://www.messybeast.com/dragonqueen/dragonqueen-index.htm#stories )

Flying is odd as I can usually only manage about 10 ft off the ground (it feels like I'm pushing against the ground with mental fingertips), though the other night I went through the atmosphere into space and was heading towards the sun at breakneck speed, which was neat (admittedly I had turned into a dragon at the time!). Sometimes I dream I'm another animal which is an odd feeling as I can feel a whole different musculature. I dreamt I was a crow and felt the whole avian wing structure adn aerodynamics and I could get through crow-sized gaps!

I've dreamt of being a ghost and once I dreamt of dying in a road crash and becoming a disembodied consciousness "floating" in nothingness becoming aware of other disembodied spirits floating with me. It was incredibly serene - I was aware of being pure consciousness without a body. Then I got pulled back to the world as a ghost. When I woke up, I found I didn't fear death.

The bit that irritates me is when I have dreams of meeting some nice chap and we decide to ... well, you know ... and my subconscious insists on finding a condom! Usually I wake up frustrated at being unable to find one (maybe some sort of guilt complex?), but lately my subconscious has started carrying them [Big Grin]

--------------------
Messybeast Cat Resource Archive
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LemonLimeade
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LemonLimeade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Saluki Worship:
I'm constantly dreaming of rainbows (okay, not recently, but for awhile there it was nearly every night), so I definitely dream in colour. It's a really intense colour though, larger than life, and kind of makes the real world a bit of a let down!

That's funny, I dream a lot of rainbows too - sometimes even rainbows by the light of the moon. Unfortunately I can't maintain it, and they end up turning square and then losing their color.

quote:
I can also feel pain in dreams, smell, taste, incorporate actual noises into dreams, but it's not until now that I realize I don't ever read in my dreams! I think I sometimes see single words, but I can't read entire sentances or anything.

I can feel pain, smell, taste and incorporate real noises too, I can even die. Reading is the one thing that makes me nuts because I can usually read something ONCE but if I try to go back to it it's a jumbled mess. So I'll be trying to look something up and getting very frustrated.

Creepy but true story - on 9/11 we were watching the coverage on TV (well, and doing some running around being beside ourselves too) and my son was sleeping in the next room When he woke up he said he'd just dreamed that some huge buildings nearby had been hit by bombs and crumbled to the ground. I have always assumed he heard and incorporated the events into his dream, from the TV and our conversation, but if you ask him he is very insistent that it was NOT because he heard anything. At any rate, he was very disturbed to find out his nightmare was actually true; it has always stuck with him.

Llewtra I have frustrating dreams where me and hubby are trying to get busy, but can't find a private place for the life of us...then if we do find a private place it has some kind of horrible stench or filthy mess so that's out too. The times when we do manage it are awesome - sometimes they leave me in no need of the real thing [Embarrassed] Nothing like a good boink when you're flying, weightless, or sailing on a cloud hehe.

--------------------
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Posts: 285 | From: Woodbridge, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a story about a well-known figure (tho I can't remember who the heck it was) repeatedly dreamt he was with someone who was reading a newspaper. The dreamer tried repeatedly to see what the paper said. Eventually he controlled a dream enough to read the paper and found it was a jumbled mess.

I once dreamt I was riding round as a passenger in someone else's mind. The person needed to show a passport and I wanted to read it. She never bothered looking at it when she showed it to immigration control! Usually when I try to read something in a dream it is blurred and I can't focus.

Has anyone else dreamt of being the opposite gender to what they are in real life? I found it a peculiar feeling having different bits and lacking other bits. I also used to dream I was naked in public and tried to cover up. These days in my dreams I don't care and continue regardless. Maybe this is linked to having more confidence in real life?

LemonLimeade: while men may get physical evidence of adult dreams, some of mine have been so intense they've woken me up (wearing a big grin) [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Posts: 2040 | From: Chelmsford, Essex, England | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LemonLimeade
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LemonLimeade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We're part of the lucky 40% or so [Wink] http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1498.html

--------------------
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

Posts: 285 | From: Woodbridge, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Llewtrah

Icon 08 posted      Profile for Llewtrah   Author's Homepage   E-mail Llewtrah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LemonLimeade:
We're part of the lucky 40% or so [Wink] http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1498.html

Oooweee [Smile] I wouldn't want to lose those dreams. I don't mind if they are colour or monochrome, just so long as they still feel good [Big Grin]

All my senses are involved in my dreams, often as vivid or more vivid than real life, and the emotions are also stronger ("purer" might be a better word). I also get odd dreams where I am missing a body part (e.g. I've lost an arm) or have an injury. I still think the oddest ones are where I am a man and have the sensations of having male parts instead of female parts. It was so odd having something dangling out front, especially when it went from dangler to pointer. So far I haven't dreamt of using it though.

One of my mates tells me "You don't dream, you have in-sleep cinema". I think "In-sleep holodeck might be a better description."

--------------------
Llewtrah's Soapbox

Silkenreindeer
Wassaleing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silkenreindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hm. I seem to recall from my art history classes that "black and white" isn't as new a concept as all that.

Lemme look....

Here it is. Yeah, it was usually used as the base of a finished painting (ie, get the shading and shapes in tonally, then apply colored glazes overtop), but there were times when monochrome was used in a finished piece of art.

Of course, black and white photography brought it to the popular consciousness, but it existed as a concept in artwork for centuries before.

Posts: 494 | From: Epping, Essex, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cambion
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cambion   E-mail Cambion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also dream in color - come to think of it, I don't think I've ever had a dream in black and white. I may have had unclear dreams, but all have been in color. I call bullshit on this myth/study.
Posts: 39 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Franny
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Franny     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've dreampt (is that a word?) only in sound. I can't claim B&W. But I have had dreams that were not visual at all.

--------------------
I've been waiting here for like 20 minutes.

"It's you, but distilled into one place." - JK. http://www.theheldhand.blogspot.com/

Posts: 505 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Turning_Turning

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Turning_Turning     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dreams are frequently in colour, and are usually fairly odd. I had that music composition problem once as well-I once dreamt that I had made up some kind of musical set in the 1960s, and I was watching a music sheet and the cast at the same time. It did some leaps and bounces and then reached the end where the whole cast shouted "Enjoy!"
I frequently dream of musicals, other musicals I've made, or musicals that have somehow crossed over.
I think one of the creepiest dreams I have had yet was where I died in a musical onstage. I was in Les Miserables (school edition), and I happened to be a student. Well, just a few months later, I dreamt of the second attack, which was when I died, and in the dream I was shot-for real-and a death rattle came from my own throat. It was creepy then! When I died, it faded out to black, like someone else had said about their death dream.
Another death dream I had was where I was speeding through my own life from 18 to the end of my life. After I had 'died', the dream faded out, switched to 3rd person view and cut to a scene of a dock, where a friend seemed to be grieving. Suddenly, my ghost appeared on the end of the dock, hair long and wavy, young again. While I had passed to the netherworld, my friend on the dock was not a day above her present age. My ghost smiled sadly and said:
"You don't recognize me at all, do you?"

I love other dreams where I go back in time-especially Ancient Greece or Ancient Egypt. I'm crazy about those two eras. But, at the end of the day, as far as I know, I always dream in colour.

Turning_ "I dreamed a dream in times gone by" Turning

Posts: 24 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Honey Bunching Oats

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Honey Bunching Oats   E-mail Honey Bunching Oats   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dreams are usually in color. My Father said that he dreams in Black & White. I used to think that was because he only saw B&W movies. He was born in 1932 and color movies started by the end of the 30's. I have had some dreams in B&W but they are rare and there is a setting for it to be B&W, one dream that I remember had to do with me being in an episode of "Gilligan Island" - the earlier episodes.

I rarely can read in my dreams. I see letters but the words don't make sense and they jump around it's like being dyslexic. Sometimes I will bne able to read one line.

I laughed at Raven Waift's post. My wife has woken up angry at me. When I ask why, she says that she had a dream of me with another woman.

--------------------
"When we talk about democracy, if the people's stomach is empty, democracy is also empty. Democracy cannot be installed by fiat; it must be achieved by the people themselves." Y.C. James Yen (1893-1990)

Posts: 146 | From: San Jose, California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DevilBunny
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DevilBunny   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
LemonLimeade: I once fell asleep in a friend's house and had some confused dreams based on Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death and Rebirth. When I woke up I realised that this was because my friends were watching it.

Now, my subconscious could easily have recognised Eva from the music, but I had no way of knowing it was the film rather than the series (or which film) by anything other than comprehending the dialog at a pretty advanced level. While asleep.

An impressive thing, the subconscious.

Your son heard the TV coverage.

--------------------
"For God has seven thousand names, and one of them is bastard"

Posts: 420 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My dreams and nightmares are in color.
Although I'm not sure why one of my nightmares was me being a christmas turkey getting gutted.

I can see people having Black/White nightmares if they have been color blind for a long time.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brownie Boy

Icon 200 posted      Profile for Brownie Boy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nwataya:
I dream in color.

Ditto

--------------------
Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday

Posts: 10 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sky
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sky     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
well this is just bizarre. I dream nearly every night, and remember them, but never paid attention to whether or not I could read in my dreams. Hmmm...i'll have to start doing that.

I tend to dream the same thing over and over until whatever is bothering me is resolved. My most recent dreams have been that I'm driving a car and go around a curve, and just go FLYING off the edge of the road into the valley. I HATE it! I wake up with my heart pounding. Sometimes I actually land, and can feel the bump as the car hits the ground. My most recent one, I reached out the window and tried to grab the guard rail..LOL. Did not succeed obviously.

For years I used to dream I was climbing a staircase that got narrower and narrower until when I got to the top I was just wedged in a tiny space, and coulnd't get out. One night I was having that dream, but came to a landing first. I opened the doors and stepped into a huge ballroom. Haven't had the stair dream since. Weird.

Sure wish someone could explain these dreams to me.

Posts: 53 | From: Washington | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SiKboy
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiKboy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually dream in colour, but I once had a dream in black and white. I remember because it struck me as odd (in the dream) that there was no colour anywhere. I knew something was odd, but didnt know it was a dream until I woke up.

--------------------
This Space For Rent.

Posts: 210 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SilvorMoon
A View to a Krill

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilvorMoon   E-mail SilvorMoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dreamed in black and white exactly once in my life. I decided it was because I was dreaming about The Twilight Zone. I don't recall the exact plot except it had something to do with some diabolical researchers (they looked like something out of the ball scene in Labyrinth) experimenting on a man locked in a mirrored room containing only a piano that played irritating-cheerful music interminably. I'm not exactly certain why, but it scared the bejeepers out of me.
Posts: 67 | From: Farmville, Virginia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages