snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Do most people dream in black and white? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Do most people dream in black and white?
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was reading an article about why a filmmaker chose black and white over color film, and he mentioned that most people dream in black and white. I did a quick google search and found only anecdotal evidence. Are there any figures or studies to back up a claim like this?
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landmammal   E-mail landmammal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems like the only evidence would be anecdotal- it would all be self-reported data. I know that I dream in color, but that's not very helpful as he only claimed that "most people" dream in black & white. I'm interested to know the answer to this question, too.

--------------------
I can't put my arms down!

Posts: 273 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
prof. yanaibara
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for prof. yanaibara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dream in color.

--------------------
away...

Posts: 640 | From: elsewhere | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.asdreams.org/subidxeduq_and_a.htm

They don't say how they know but:

quote:
Are dreams in color?

Most dreams are in color, although people may not be aware of it, either because they have difficulty remembering their dreams or because color is such a natural part of visual experience. People who are very aware of color while awake probably notice color more often in their dreams.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spam & Cookies-mmm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spam & Cookies-mmm   E-mail Spam & Cookies-mmm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dream in Color. Brilliant, vivid, memorable color. Sometimes, even paisley.

--------------------
Did you see the Announcement?
There's a new snopes message board!

Posts: 7767 | From: Paradise Ceded | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dream in color. No doubt about it. I also remember my dreams pretty vividly, and often.
Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dream in color. Always have. I also have learned over the years to exercise greater and greater control over what I dream. [Big Grin] It's loads of fun, haven't had a nightmare since I was small, or even a dream that wasn't at least midly fun.

And apparently I can taste too because so far I've tasted soda, alfredo pasta, ice cream, steak, sour apple candy, cheese, cake, chicken, rice noodles, various misc drinks, water, milk, fruits, shrimp, and oatmeal. [Big Grin] Dream food is not as flavoruful as real but I can definately taste it, and it comes in such nice quantities too. I'm weird I know, but it's soooooo much fun.

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
forceflow15
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for forceflow15     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also dream in color.

--------------------
Forceflow

"There was Joye in the courtroom, but he slipped on a-peel." = Prof. Kutner

Posts: 101 | From: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also dream in vivid color.

And I also can taste in dreams. In my experiance, the taste is just as much as real-life.

I also feel in dreams. I feel textures, temperatures, get hurt, etc.

I'm afraid to dream because my dreams are so realistic that I sometimes have to double and triple-check that it was, in fact, a dream.

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Errata
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Errata   E-mail Errata   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the things I notably cant do in dreams is read. When I try to look at text in a dream its impossible to focus on it like I suddenly need glasses. But sometimes that won't be an issue because I just automatically know what something says in a dream without actually looking at the words.
Posts: 2018 | From: Santa Barbara, California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
24K_ Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 24K_ Kate   Author's Homepage   E-mail 24K_ Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dream in color. I am also able to read in my dreams...something that some say one shouldn't be able to do. (I'm not sure which of these Google results is a reliable cite)

--------------------
<---Callisto

I have a 60 second snack idea for Rachel (Ray): Xanax, vodka, fall asleep.--Adrianne Frost, Best Week Ever.

Posts: 2374 | From: Naw-fik, VA y'all | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaidenAthene
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaidenAthene   E-mail MaidenAthene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dream in color (Sometimes a monochrome, but its a colorful monochrome like yellow or purple), and taste and smell. I remember smells better than tastes, though.

--------------------
“We live in a society of victimization, where people are much more comfortable being victimized than actually standing up for themselves.” - Marilyn Manson
"Well, end more, your not ending enough!" - MST3K

Posts: 259 | From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bored and Dangerous
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bored and Dangerous   Author's Homepage   E-mail Bored and Dangerous   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nocturnal Goddess: In the Honey:
I'm afraid to dream because my dreams are so realistic that I sometimes have to double and triple-check that it was, in fact, a dream.

My SO will do this. He will swear,loudly and insistently, that he has told me something, when in fact, he hasn't, and I have no clue what he's talking about. Then he'll say, "I told you at so-and-so store/place/house, remember?" and we haven't been there in a while, or we weren't there when he claimed. Then he sheepishly admits he may (may!) have dreamed it, only after careful examination of facts.

--------------------
My blog

Watch?? I'm gonna pray, man! Know any good religions?--Zaphod Beeblebrox

Posts: 2366 | From: Harrisonburg, Virginia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 215 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
/|\ Now I lay me down to sleep....

I dream in color. Granted, it's very muted color, but color nonetheless.

- Pseudo "you can still dream of zebras in black and white" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pondicherry Pi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pondicherry Pi   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pondicherry Pi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have very vivid dreams. In very vivid color. I can taste, smell, and do a lot of other things too. [Wink]

But, oddly enough, I also cannot read. Go figure.

--------------------
If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

What the NFBSK is Glurge? Or, a link to Snopes Lingo

Posts: 218 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
qualli
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for qualli   E-mail qualli   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have problems with not knowing if I'm awake or asleep. I not only can read in my sleep, but I also write, though I'm having to work on remembering what I wrote.

The only way I can tell if it's a dream is that I'll start spitting out teeth. That's the only test I can really rely on. However, I've started feeling loose "phantom" teeth in my mouth while I've been awake

--------------------
"I still say Obi-wan Kenobi was The Force's bitch."

Posts: 820 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KaiTheInvader
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KaiTheInvader   Author's Homepage   E-mail KaiTheInvader   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have problems distinguishing between sleeping and awake as well. I've actually been tested, and apparently I have some really odd sleep patterns, like my lightest sleep pattern is where most people's deepest/dreaming stage is at.

I dream in color, can read, often dream in sign language (technically my first language thoguh I haven't used it in years), and even things that are obvious pointers to it being a dream later (i.e. monsters or being inside a tornado or something, just impossible things) seem perfectly normal while i'm asleep. I also talk in my sleep (like actual conversations with awake people) and am almost impossible to wake up. then again, my sister sleep walks, so it runs in the family.

I've also had dreams were rows of my teeth fell out, which although disconcerting, wasn't really a problem until one day I was eating now and later candies, and one of my baby teeth came out...followed by another, and another, and another.

--------------------
Resurrection of mankind to careen in silent pace. Feeling lonely. I am the dream that nobody dreams of, but will you dream of me, and dream of eternal desire? If you dream of me, will you live for me? Will you? Will you?

Posts: 344 | From: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   E-mail I saw Mommy kismet Santa Claus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dream in color and I can smell in my dreams. I don't read or taste in my dreams, but I never run across a situation where I need to. I will know I just ate or read if it's important to the story of the dream, but I'll never actually do it in the dream.
Posts: 2115 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
candycane from strangers
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candycane from strangers   Author's Homepage   E-mail candycane from strangers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also dream in color, and whenever I've heard people talk about dreaming in black and white it's been said like that was unusual to them.

When I was younger my mother's friend's sister (Ye gads, that sounds FOAF! She was speaking directly to her, though) mentioned that she'd been dreaming in b&w for awhile. My mother later told her friend she'd read (not sure where, I'm sure it wasn't anything scientific) that that can be a sign of mental stress or trouble. About a week later the friend's sister had a nervous breakdown. Coincidence? Most likely.

--------------------
Me: "He's 19? Uh oh, I bought him a beer."
A: "You contributed to the deliquency of a minor in drag!"
"Sweet spell check: keeping drunks off the radar since 1995."- IND
God Re-Animate Green Pork Bush

Posts: 3986 | From: Illinois, jealous? | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Spooky Cactus
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spooky Cactus   E-mail Spooky Cactus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I only ever dreamed in black and white once, and it was set in the world of a black and white movie.

I also have a weird thing that if I realise I'm dreaming, the dream continues, but if I say anything I say it out loud and wake up. If I don't know I'm dreaming, I can talk normally. Is that weird or what?

--------------------
'When the world is dead and gone, we will still be Rocking On!' (J.P.McCartney)

Posts: 154 | From: Yorkshire, England | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Miles Invictus
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miles Invictus   E-mail Miles Invictus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dream in color. The weird thing I've noticed, though, is that I'm as nearsighted in my dreams as I am in real life, so everything turns out blurry.
Posts: 236 | From: Iowa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
onein6billion
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for onein6billion   E-mail onein6billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dream in bright beautiful Technicolor. Sometimes I can read and sometimes I can't but I remember being really torqued when I can't read something in my dreams.

--------------------
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
"Divorce is not caused because 50% of marriages end in gayness." - Jon Stewart
my space on myspace--now showing "80's Video Of The Week"

Posts: 278 | From: Bel Air, MD | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jasini
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasini   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jasini   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dream in color also. I also tend to dream in 3rd person (especially when I was younger). I can read in dreams, and I've noticed if I pinch myself in a dream to see if I'm dreaming or not, all that happens is that my dreamself goes "Ouch!" and continues the dream.

--------------------
Jasini

Where there's a will, there's an or.
--Col. Jack O'Neill, SG1

Posts: 71 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jasini
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasini   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jasini   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dream in color also. I also tend to dream in 3rd person (especially when I was younger). I can read in dreams, and I've noticed if I pinch myself in a dream to see if I'm dreaming or not, all that happens is that my dreamself goes "Ouch!" and continues the dream.

--------------------
Jasini

Where there's a will, there's an or.
--Col. Jack O'Neill, SG1

Posts: 71 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ali_marea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ali_marea   E-mail ali_marea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the real question is...does anyone dream in black and white? (with the exception of Spooky Cactus who said that it was a specifically black and white movie kind of scenario)

I can do pretty much anything in my dreams. But the most fun ones are where I can fly. The most interesting ones are lucid dreams. Haven't done that in quite a while.

I think I'm too tired to do much lucid dreaming these days. [Razz]

--------------------
28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, and 12 seconds. That is when the world will end.

Posts: 7158 | From: D.C. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Riddle me this - did people claim to dream in black-and-white *before* it was invented? I mean, before the advent of photography I would guess that the concept of a monochrome view of things did not exist. Art from that era reflected a "true" (though stylized) impression of the world - probably because there was no photography to capture a "true" image of the world. But nobody painted in black-and-white, and charcoal sketches (or other monochromatic art) were not meant to represent the real world.

So, really, back in the 1700's, did anyone claim to dream in black-and-white?

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hero_Mike:
Riddle me this - did people claim to dream in black-and-white *before* it was invented? I mean, before the advent of photography I would guess that the concept of a monochrome view of things did not exist. Art from that era reflected a "true" (though stylized) impression of the world - probably because there was no photography to capture a "true" image of the world. But nobody painted in black-and-white, and charcoal sketches (or other monochromatic art) were not meant to represent the real world.

That is a really interesting idea. Not sure if it is true though because what about people who are colour-blind?

Are there people who are "so" colour-blind they don't see any colour at all?

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't remember when I posted before if I can smell things in my dreams.

A survey of my dreams last night, I can confirm, yes, I definitely can smell in my dreams.

As for the color blindness: my ex brother in law had color blindness so bad that the only real color he could distinguish was yellow. He said everything else was varying shades of muddy grey.

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of my dreams are in sepia tones. Some are black and white -- really more shades of gray. This morning's wake up dream was in color.

Back in college, one of my roommates was telling me about her dream which had us three roommates in it. She described in great detail the colors and patterns in dresses we were wearing. That's the first I knew people dreamed in color. I wondered why I didn't dream in color and decided I wanted to. That night, I started dreaming in color. But it didn't last long. I never did figure out why -- did it take more energy for me to do it? did it just not matter to me because I'm not a particularly visual person to begin with? Within a week or two I went back to dreaming in sepia though I do have the occassional dream in color.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I dream in color. I'm also in the group of people who can taste, feel, smell etc in their dreams. I also incorporate sounds around me in my dreams.

Just yesterday morning, I fell asleep on the sofa while elevating my injured leg and my friend sent me a text message. In the dream I was having, I stopped what I was doing to look at the text message. I woke up muttering how I couldn't see the damn thing. A few minutes later, I got the reminder beep that I did indeed have a text message. [lol]

Frog-my dreams are so exciting that text messages are more interesting-Feathers

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Major D. Saster
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Major D. Saster         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hero_Mike:

Hero Mike - I think you're perfectly right. When cinema and/or TV (two media that influence our imagination) were in black-and-white, I guess many more people dreamt colourless dreams.

As for myself, I dream in colours, although I remember some B/W dreams set during WWII. That again might prove your point.

--------------------
Desperate, but not serious.

Posts: 689 | From: Confoederatio Helvetica | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ink Rose
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ink Rose   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ink Rose   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I did dream in black and white once or twice as well when it was set during an earleir time period. Hmmmm, it seems that several people have experienced this.

--------------------
Comic: http://elfhome.keenspace.com

Posts: 388 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Autumn Neko
The Seahorse Whisperer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Autumn Neko   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I also dream in color and can read in my dreams - in fact, the earliest dream I remember ever having had a pink sky with purple clouds. And the other night, I dreamed I had completely blue skin (and large bat wings [Razz] ). I don't think I've ever had a black & white dream, even though for a while I spent quite a lot of time in college doing black & white artwork and photography.

--------------------
"...and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does."
~~Groucho Marx~~

Posts: 392 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I try to read in my dreams but I can't dream words. My dream magazines are filled with letters that don't make words.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MissEltoe
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MissEltoe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't ever remember dreaming in black & white.
Most of my dreams are SO real that I, like NG, get kind of scared by them. Actually about two nights ago I had a dream my father tried to committ suicide by taking pills......
One of my co-workers found this site: http://dreammoods.com/

Though I usually never trust .com sites, this one actually seemed pretty acurate to me!

--------------------
Licorice of the Lord! This is classy stuff...Should I be wearing a tie? Or, at least, pants?
~I'mNotDedalus

Posts: 975 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages