snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Salt/Pepper, good for the hands?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Salt/Pepper, good for the hands?
Bright Purple Nailpolish
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Bright Purple Nailpolish     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This will probably seem a bit strange, and I don't even know if it even HAS anything to do with urban legends, let alone old wive's tales, but...

Quite a while ago I went out to lunch with an elderly female relative. While we sat waiting for the meals to arrive I noticed her pick up either the small salt or pepper shaker (I can't remember which), pour a small amount onto her hands and then rub her hands together, to rub the grains in. I didn't ask about it but I was a little bit puzzled, as she doesn't usually do strange things.

So I thought it might be some type of old wives tale, perhaps? That salt or pepper is somehow good for the hands before a meal? However, I have never noticed her to do this before any other meal. Does anyone else do this? Is it some sort of "thing" that people do?

The only thing I could think of is that salt is used for exfoliation to remove dead skin and to help with circulation, but in a restaurant?? Surely not.

Posts: 9 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kitoboo
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitoboo   E-mail kitoboo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard of this. Perhaps she was just checking to find out which shaker had the salt in it and rather than dump the salt on the table she rubbed her hands together to get rid of it.
Posts: 399 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?
Carol of the Dells

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NocturnalGoddess- naughty or nice?     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well salt does exfoliate the skin well, but I agree that she was probably just checking to see which had what in it.

--------------------
"I saw weird stuff in that place last night. Weird, strange, sick, twisted, eerie, godless, EVIL stuff... and I want in."- Homer Simpson

Posts: 2161 | From: Delaware | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bright Purple Nailpolish

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bright Purple Nailpolish     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh yeah... wow, I feel so stupid for not figuring that out [Frown] Oh well... as they say, "He who ask is a fool for 5 mins. He who does not ask is a fool forever." Still, I do really feel like a silly newbie [Frown] [Razz]
Posts: 9 | From: Australia | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
daisy747

Icon 99 posted      Profile for daisy747   E-mail daisy747   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There are many salt and sugar scrubs for the skin. I'm not sure if they work because of the spice, or if it just acts as a nice rough exfoliater.
But, I agree with most everyone here that she was probably just figuring out which shaker held what. [Smile]

Posts: 19 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To go a little farther offtopic, if you want a good, cheap exfoliator for your feet, mix a quarter cup or so of salt and a little baby oil into a paste, and massage it well into your rough areas (do it in the tub, or over a towel, as it is a bit messy). A side effect is it smooths your hands as well.
Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
While I never heard of putting table condiments on your hands, I have heard of using Epsom Salt for your hands and feet to curate a few things.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was told by an elderly neighbour [continuing to wander off topic, a little] that pepper is magic for healing cuts [and continued with a FOAF UL story where she'd have sliced off her whole hand, but her mother dumped pepper on it, wrapped it in a bandage and left it for weeks on end....]

Pepper makes strawberries taste much, much sweeter, by the way [Big Grin]

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ratboy
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ratboy   E-mail Ratboy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And to go even further off topic, yet asking a somewhat related question;

Is salt good for your teeth (or mouth)?

Maybe I'm just making this up, I can't really remember, but I think I've heard something about rinsing your mouth with salt water. How about just mixing some salt with regular tap water?

Posts: 144 | From: Sweden | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Avril
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Avril     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Salt water is a panacea for all of society's ills!

Well...not really. But I have severe reactions to certain medications and to avoid taking them, or even in addition to taking others, my doctors have often advised me to use salt water. (Mix roughly 1/2 teaspoon of salt per 8 oz. warm water--tap water is fine.) Examples:

Sinus infections (or if you have a cold): use warm salt water and a baby's medicine syringe to rinse out the nasal cavities. Repeat as often as desired, but at least 4 times per day until congjestion is gone. Water will keep the membranes moist while salt will dry the mucus, and the whole mixture will physically rinse out the existing conjestion. This, in connection with Mucinex, is one of the Seven Wonders of the Modern World.

Bronchitis (or just a sore throat and/or cough): Gargle with warm salt water, at least 4 times per day.

Oral surgery (or when a child loses baby teeth): rinse with warm salt water after every meal and before bed to remove food debris and help prevent infection. As sockets heal from a surgical dental extraction, use a specially designed syringe to irrigate them with warm salt water.

Avril

--------------------
There is no failure unless one stops. --Ray Bradbury

Posts: 2115 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages