snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Don't shower during menstruation? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Don't shower during menstruation?
Molasses Cellany
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molasses Cellany   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Think I should put some TMI space in here for the more squeamish? I'd hate to traumatize anyone hanging around in active topics. I'd feel bad if I did. [Frown]

Plastic applicator tampons are an evil tool of Satan. No applicator, and I end up with squicky fingers that it seems to take five minutes to clean up properly... so I stick with cardboard applicators. Tampons are definitely YMMV.

As for showering... I always try to aim the showerhead down there while bathing during my (NFBSKing weeklong PITA) period, since for at least three days I'll end up with a lovely red-streams-running-down-the-drain effect. It saves me a tampon or two every month to do that, and I've never noticed any ill-effects other than the chance of a residual pink puddle in the shower.

--------------------
Not Mandatory

Posts: 398 | From: Yuma, AZ | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jera
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jera   E-mail Jera   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lil' Molly:
[QB] Okay, [OFF TOPIC]but about the cups... the diagram on the divacup site shows that it's not very far inside... isn't that really uncomfortable?

jera

Posts: 52 | From: Whitby, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Starla
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dear Babby:
Did anyone else have to use an anatomy book and a mirror to find where to put the first tampon in? It actually took several months of trying before I could master it. But so much better than pads! I equate tampons vs pads to contacts vs glasses.

I had to use and hand mirror and study the diagram on the instructions sheet in the box. It took me a while to master comfortable use of tampons as well.

Now that I have my Mirena all I need is a panty liner 2 days a month tops. The "flow" is too light for even the smallest tampons. So I guess in your eye wear analogy I have laser surgery. [Smile]

--------------------
This used to be the life, but I don't need another one.
MyBandwagon

Posts: 3254 | From: small town Texas | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Molly:
Okay, [OFF TOPIC]but about the cups... the diagram on the divacup site shows that it's not very far inside... isn't that really uncomfortable? I use Instead and love them but they're one off use. Anyone used both and could offer a comparison? [/OFF TOPIC]

One of the good things about the Diva-type cup IS that it sits lower - there have been some links made to retrograge endometriosis from higer up cups which can cause the cervix to sit in a puddle.
No cites, but a cervical health nurse was very emphatic about it to me.

You cannot feel the cup when it's in, especially if you cut off most of the tail [mine went bit by bit as I got better at removing the cup]
It sits low enough that you could feel it if you're fooling around sexually, but it doesn't intrude, like a tampon string might, for instance.

IIRC, there's a guarantee that if you don't like it after you've tried it, you can have a full refund.

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonfall86
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonfall86   E-mail moonfall86   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Possible TMI:

Is it possible to injure yourself and become infertile using tampons or masturbating?

Posts: 885 | From: Florida | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jera
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jera   E-mail Jera   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonfall86:
Possible TMI:

Is it possible to injure yourself and become infertile using tampons or masturbating?

Tampons: I really don't think it's possible, unless you get TSS and this makes you infertile, but the chances are very slim.

masturbating: It's possible.... if you like to masturbate with scissors, knives, coat hangers, dynamite....

If you are using something like a dildo or your fingers, it thing it would take an extreme amount of intentional effort to injure yourself to the point where you become infertile.

jera

Posts: 52 | From: Whitby, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lizzy
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lizzy   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Moon Shadows:
I can tell you what my mother thinks about tampons..
[...]
2)girls who've not had sex before are not "big enough" to put a tampon in

I found this true for myself... TMI, but the first time I used one at about 12YO, it took at least 45 minutes of hell and tears (as in crying, not as in "rip", thankfully , to clear things up) to get it in. Then, I don't think it was in far enough, and so it hurt the whole time. After losing my virginity, though, it comfortably slid in. Yes, TMI, TMI...

--------------------
"Do you see me now? I'm like a fireball . . . with these shoulder pads I have the strength to destroy villages, homes and crops. GEM SWEATER!"

Posts: 72 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I got my first period when I was visiting relatives in another province. I hid it for a day until I was able to find some time alone with my mom. My mom tried to get me to use tampons so that I wouldn't have to miss 1 week of 2-week blocks of swimming lessons. It didn't work. I fainted each time I tried. I don't like to take showers for the first few days of my period because I don't like to get blood on my towel.

My first official introduction to sex ed was in grade 5 (1995), thought I had an idea before that from a book my parents gave me when I was very young - 'The Wonderful Way Babies are Made'. We called the lesson 'Preparing for Adolescence' based on some book by Dr. James Dobson. The only part I remember is the teacher asking if anyone knew what a tampon looked like and could draw it on the board.

Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cactus Wren
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cactus Wren   E-mail Cactus Wren   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Twelve and a half when I got mine. Fortunately Mom (no longer herself troubled by this problem at that point) had bought a box of minipads -- the old thick kind with an adhesive strip about a quarter inch wide.

I prefer tampons, but am afraid to use them ever since

MAJOR TMI ALERT
ALL MALES AVERT YOUR EYES

one got stuck. Never believe anyone who tells you that can't happen. I put in tampon 2, forgetting I hadn't yet taken out tampon 1, then couldn't find #1 and had to go to the emergency room.

ETA: About the "bathing" issue, the Museum of Menstruation has the 1938 edition of Marjorie May's Twelfth Birthday, in which Our Heroine is told by her mother, "Some girls who do not understand, or who have not been correctly informed, may tell you dreadful things about menstruation ... Not long ago one of these harmful superstitions advised against bathing during menstruation, but doctors assure us there is no harm in bathing. Indeed, cleanliness is more needed at this time than at any other. Always take a warm soap bath, but never a cold, and never a hot bath. And -- by all means -- every time you change the Kotex pad, you must wash that part of your body very thoroughly."

(I thought that's what hand-held shower heads were invented for.)

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.” -- Edward R. Murrow

IOToriSparrowANK!

Posts: 598 | From: Arizona | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages