snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Don't shower during menstruation? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Don't shower during menstruation?
Cervus
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother never had The Talk with me - anything related to sex or reproduction was (and still is) absolutely taboo in our household. I didn't even know what a penis was until I was 12.

So when I got my period all I'd had were Judy Blume books to prepare me. Sex ed in school didn't really start until 7th grade, and it assumed that you already knew the main differences between boys and girls. I distinctly remember warnings about date rape, which looking back seems absolutely ridiculous to be telling 12-year-olds, most of whom still thought the opposite sex was icky and weren't old enough to go out unsupervised anyway. I had no idea what "rape" was and only a vague concept of how babies were made.

Anyway, if my grandma hadn't given me the Judy Blume books, I would have had no clue what periods were. I thought it would be a little drop of blood like the period at the end of a sentence. And, since I started menstruation in 1994, the Judy Blume books were 20 years outdated with their talk of sanitary belts and being excused from gym class.

When I got my period I was too mortified to tell me mom, and I was in denial because I didn't want to grow up. So I hid it by stuffing my underpants with paper towels and by borrowing pads from my mom and my friends' bathrooms - without their knowledge. I'd heard that girls weren't supposed to go swimming during that time, so I associated water with being bad for that area. I washed as little as possible during my period.

Eventually my mom found blood on my underpants in the laundry and she got really upset. I had used a washcloth to clean myself and she was disgusted at the blood on the washcloth, too. She went to the drugstore and immediately returned with a box of tampons, which she tossed on my bed, saying "The directions are inside. Have fun."

That was the only mention of the subject for several years.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shamrock
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shamrock   E-mail Shamrock   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Your Mom is a real piece of work.

--------------------
Of all the things I've lost,
I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 891 | From: New England | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
And, since I started menstruation in 1994, the Judy Blume books were 20 years outdated with their talk of sanitary belts and being excused from gym class.

I was menstruating in 1974, and I couldn't get out of gym class for it, even when I had cramps so bad I could hardly stand. I think that detail must have come from Judy Blume's memories of her childhood -- or maybe my gym teachers were just hardasses.

And your mother was indeed a piece of work.

On a lighter note, one of my cousins, after having her first period, calmly informed her mother that "I'm never doing that again." [lol]

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 203 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
Girls in my school were shown "the movie" in 5th grade, which was 1972-73 for me.

That's when I had a sex ed class: in 5th grade back in 1975. I'd already started getting periods by the time I was in 9th grade. While my mother did discuss periods with me, she didn't discuss anything else. However, she'd gotten a series of books called "The Life Cycle Encyclopedia" or something like that and put it where she knew I'd see it.
Waiting until 9th grade for sex ed? Hell I got my first menstrual migraine at that age!

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sex ed and home ec: Flowing and Sewing.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the 'movies and literature' for us girls was in grade 6, although there were already some - including me - who had started menstruating before then.

I only had advance warning because my curiosity had finally gotten the better of me one day, and I finally asked my father what tampons were for. (Well, all the commercials back then spoke of 'better protection' - what were they protecting you from, I wondered? All I ever saw were women in swimsuits playing on the beach!) Very shamefaced Dad told me to ask my mother.

But Mum didn't explain that periods had anything to do with your ability to reproduce - she only explained that women had this 'bad blood' in their private parts that had to be gotten rid of now and again. So I'm imagining this blood is something stale or rancid. I didn't find out the real reason for periods until I read the books.

I think generally my mum just believed it wasn't something you talked about. Oh, and that men were these horribly delicate creatures who would shrivel up and die if they found any evidence of menstruation. It was always awkward when I had to be excused from swimming because of my period (this is before I started using tampons) and my mother would put 'stomach trouble' on the note because she thought my male PE teachers would be embarrassed otherwise...

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Vinnichanka
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vinnichanka   Author's Homepage   E-mail Vinnichanka   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Grandma has this very interesting book, "The Encyclopedia of Homemaking", a Soviet piece of work circa 1950. It had everything that an upstanding female Soviet citizen should know about keeping the house and raising a family.In the tiny article titled with an ominous word "Menstruation" the aquisition of the sanitary belt was suggested for those young ladies of 17 or 18 who are starting the above-mentioned ordeal. The cleaning method suggested for those days was a light and sanitary touch of a sterile cotton ball moistened in luke-warm water on the outer surface, while gracefully crouched over the toilet. Physical activity, baths and even showers were explicitly forbidden.

--------------------
Ladies and gentlemen, chlorinate your gene pools!

Posts: 250 | From: Brooklyn, New York | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
J'sMommy
Fighting Irish Stew

Icon 1 posted      Profile for J'sMommy   E-mail J'sMommy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, for some reason my Grandmother believed, and still does as far as I know, that you shouldn't wash your hair while having a period. She was never really able to explain her reasoning, it was just something that her mother had told her. Needless to say my mom and I did not subscribe to this theory, and as one might expect no harm came from washing our hair. I could never figure that out though. What would be the problem with washing your hair? [Confused]

--------------------
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
I'm an Avon Rep! Email me for information on ordering.

Posts: 30 | From: Alabama | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, I've never heard about not bathing or showering during menstration before. Although I lived in a mountain hollow for a while and well water was a limited and valuable resourse that wasn't to be wasted.

My housemate, landlord and community got really ticked if we used a lot of water (it was a community well). 5 minute showers or less was the norm. In fact there were times I went a day or two without a shower (and got at little bitched at for frequent long showers until the landlord saw me after I started working and x-mas tree farm and came home stinking and covered with sap).

Personally I'd like to clean up more often during that "time of month". Icky... I know its a natural process but I'd still feel better if I washed up a bit rather that thinking there might be a bit of blood somewhere.

From my understanding (and knowing my parents it wasn't to frighten me) my aunt did have fears of tampons and freaked out the first time she tried to insert one (my mom rasied my aunt from about age 7 till she left for college, so my mom and my dad dealt with the issue... my mom's a little over ten years older than the aunt). Although I didn't have any problems with the things. Even with pads my mom made sure I understood the sticky side was to go against the panties and not stuck to myself... I fear that was due to some mistake made in some prior generation.

I do get a little ticked at religions that see bleeding women as icky. Its not like we (at least not the majority of "we") are smearing our excretions on others. In an Orthodox church one cannot make the communion bread while on the rag. I actually liked the church for the most part... ok I'm an atheist but I did want a church for my kid. However if they think women are evil because of a natural biological function I say we should start by banning other physical "imperfections". In fact one whose time of month has come shouldn't even bake a communion loaf according to some faiths. We women folk (the only ones that seem capable of baking it seems) aren't clean enough during "that time" even though that's the time I often pay more attention to personal hygene... until I went to depo shots and no longer have "aunt flo" visit me... but bith contol is often also considered sinful. Some days you're just dammed if you do and damned if you don't.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FrogFeathers
Grandma Got Run Over By a Gift Card

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FrogFeathers   Author's Homepage   E-mail FrogFeathers   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mom never used tampons and didn't even know how when she was 19 and working in a big TV factory. She went to the ladies room with her dime and the pad machine was empty. One of the other ladies told her to use a tampon. So, she used her dime, got a tampon (in a cardboard applicator) and had no clue what to do with it. She ended up taking it out of its applicator and of course, it fluffed out. She wrapped it up in toilet paper, made a "pad" out of it and finished her shift. I think she was just grossed out by the whole process.

Our "sex ed" started in the fifth grade for us too. It was when the boys went into one class and the girls went to another and we each watched our own film and got our pamphlets. It was two years too late for me, I started mine in the third grade. I was just past the "belt" era, but the pads were those huge, long, thick ones that fit on a 9 year old like a freakin' diaper. When my daughters complained about the thin (*ultra*thin!), I tell them what I had to deal with. I started using tampons when I was 13 and used my own babysitting money to buy them- mom refused to buy them for me.

And strangely, when I had my daughter in 1989, and the third child in 1993, the Army hosptials were still using the belts. (I had my son in a civilian hospital in 1992 and they were using regular pads).

--------------------
"Is it ME? Am I a MAGNET for these idiots?"~Pearl Forrester MST3K
Die-Hard Engineers, Big Red One my Dad's website
"Must be a 'snopes' thing..." ~my entire family when I try to explain something.

Posts: 4524 | From: South of Madison, Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Die Capacitrix
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Die Capacitrix     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I guess I was "lucky". Somehow I got to try the wonderful belt - even thought I started in 1981 - just a few weeks before my official introduction to sex ed - similar to Frog Feather's first introduction.

I remember some boy laughing about Margaret's period (Are You there God, it's me, Margaret) - he had borrowed the book from his older sister. I thought the whole class knew about me.

The weekend after I started I went to my best friend's house for a previously planned sleep over. My mom told her mom, so that she could explain to her daughter. My friend then told me that she was never going to have a period. I went home, upset (this was still before the weekend) and told my mom. She told my mom's friend, who said, "I guess I'm going to have to explain it again."

We both were given the "What's Happening to Me" book. Later that summer I wanted to go swimming and learned about tampons. My mom had never used them but our neighbor (the one with the cabin on the lake) had some. So here I was, 11 years old and faced with the extra absorbent monster sized tampon. Nope, not going to happen.

When visiting my then-boyfriend-now-husband, my MIL would go though the trash. Since I had left a wrapper in the trash, she then left articles about Toxic Shock Syndrome on the toliet, along with a note. She never talked to me directly, and she never even mentioned that tampons aren't supposed to go into the septic system.

I was encouraged by my gyn to use tampons - he was concerned that sex would be very difficult for me as I had a tendency to clamp down when he tried to examine me. Using a tampon is a good way to get more familiar with one's own body.

--------------------
"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces." Judith Viorst

Posts: 1082 | From: Luzern, Switzerland | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Holly Golightly
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Holly Golightly     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TrishDaDish:
Not exactly the bath story, but my friend once told me when we were teens that if you went swimming while you were having your period, you would stop bleeding. Until you got out of the water. Then it would start all over again.

I believed that for a while too, until my mum set me straight. It was printed as fact by the Agony Aunt in Jackie Magazine. I remember it vividly, a girl had written in saying she hadn't started menstruating yet but was worried that she would start while in the pool on holiday and everyone would see. The reply was that she wasn't to worry as being in submerged in water 'stemmed the flow'. Nothing about the probability of actually getting your first period whilst on holiday and in a swimming pool. Bizarre.
Posts: 1555 | From: Leicestershire, England | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DawnStorm:
While my mother did discuss periods with me, she didn't discuss anything else. However, she'd gotten a series of books called "The Life Cycle Encyclopedia" or something like that and put it where she knew I'd see it.

That's mostly what my mom did -- she left things around for me to read. Worked for me, and was much less embarrassing than having to talk to her about it would have been. For one thing, she was 42 when I was born, and past menopause by the time I reached menses.

When my first period started, my mom and dad were out of town. I was staying with a friend of the family, who took me over to the house of a friend of hers -- whom I didn't know -- so she could help her friend with some project. Then the FOTF and her friend left to go shopping or something, so when my period started, I was alone in a strange house with the friend's friend's 16YO daughter, with whom I had exchanged maybe five words before I walked out of the bathroom and told her I'd gotten my first period. She was sypmathetic, and luckily her mom's car was there, so she could go get me some supplies -- all she had were tampons.

--------------------

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a random menstruation story. When I was about 16 I was a CIT (counselor in training) for a local day/weekend camp (for 13-15 year old girls). As you can imagine I didn't really have all that much authority but there were certain things that were required. The number one struggle was the daily swim, the girls didn't want to do it. Luckily I didn't have to make them swim but I did have to get them in swimsuits and to the pool area. The number one excuse used to try and get out of it was "I have my period" which according to the camp wasn't a valid excuse. However, some did actually have their period (as far as I know) and would wear these huge horrible pads inside their swimsuits. It was truly awful and often very visable. In those cases I did advise against them swiming and gave them a towel to wrap around their waist.

Although I'd never trade my girls in for the guys. On our first weekend outting (white water rafting) someone threw all of another guy's clothes in the river while the poor boy was calmly sleeping naked through the night... in the morning however he was hopping mad (jumping around in his little sleeping bag and yelling that his clothes were gone). Admitedly that's a problem, luckily it wasn't my problem. Ok my girls were up most of the night making list about what they disliked about other girls but at least in the morning they all still had clothing. I've worked/volunteered most of my life for 13-15 year old girls (in fact I'd love to foster or adopt one but it'll probably piss my boy off). I know they can be catty but sometimes its a hell of a lot better than the stunts boys are more likely to pull. I ain't saying young women are nicer or don't have their share of problems but I think the ones they have are often more predictable (which in a way is a bit of ashame). I know that's a sterotype and there can always be surprises but I usually see more surprises from the guys. Which is odd because in everything I've ever been involved with it seems boys have more role models and male dominated or exclusive activities... I guess that's why I've always wanted to do stuff with the girls (not that I'm any kind of role model but I can come up with activities... perhaps not grand ones but I figure anything is better than nothing). I'm sure there will always be kids that fall through the cracks but even at the Sim center (the projects rec centre and kid's soup kitchen) there are basketball programs and mentors for the young teen boys but the girls get overlooked. Sorry, I'll get off my soap box about now but some of the odd things that happen, some of the misinformation, some of the lack of knowledge I think is caused by the lack of adult involvement in young women's lives. I'm not saying I, or any adult, has all the answers but its at least a starting place for trying to find them together (slightly less intimidating than doing it on ones own). Although I will say don't underestimate what some young girls might know. If the subject of sex comes up a few never fail to surprise me. When a 13 year old knows more than me that's distressing... and that also earns them a trip to the doctors. While I know it's "wrong" I will use friends addresses to get them free examines and birth control at a nearby clinic if they are going to do it anyway and apear interested in the idea. I know there is some circle in hell for people like me but I still think its better than the alternative... At least the clinic offers disease testing, information, condoms, and birth control along with the risk involved. I do know its not my life, I'm not the mom, and all I'm doing is making wild ass assumptions. Still its hard to sit silently by once you know what's going on in these kids lives. Half the kids at the center didn't even have parents to turn to. They (the kids) were in the soup kitchen/after school program and the moms/dads were in rehab or jail. I realize I'm wrong on this and it even breaks my own morality but sometimes I just can't see any positive outcome so I opt for what I see as the lesser evil.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rushrulz
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rushrulz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heh, I was just thinking about this the other day after finding an educational video from 1952 called "Molly Grows Up." In it, the mother tells her that if she swims the first couple of days, she'll get chills and catch a cold. HUH?

When I was in 5th grade, which would have been 1985, I guess, they separated the boys and girls so they could teach us this stuff. We watched a video and got a little booklet, all sponsored by Kotex. Anyway, I was 10, and I was absolutely horrified. They suggested it'd probably be a few years, and to me, it sounded like tomorrow.

I also got my hands on the boys' booklet, although I don't recall how now, and that was a great thrill, having this "forbidden" booklet intended for the other sex.

I was never taught anything weird, though. It was understood that you wouldn't go swimming while using pads, if for no other reason than because they're cotton (etc.) and aren't going to hold up well in water. My best friend never got the "talk." Her family was Taiwanese, and I'm not sure if that was related, the way her mother thought about women's things. Anyway, she started at 11. She'd missed the educational stuff we'd had because she was in the ESL program. She got it and had a cow, of course, at which point, her mother told her what was up. She also told her she couldn't use tampons as a virgin, which isn't true, but it doesn't hurt to have lost it, either. Literally. [Wink]

I used pads until I had sex, at which point I figured I might be able to graduate to tampons, and I did, and I've never looked back.

Posts: 6 | From: Houston, TX | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
landmammal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landmammal   E-mail landmammal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
At my school, we had the "facts of life" presentation in 6th grade. We watched a video called I Got It! It started out with a girl running down the street yelling, "I got it! I got it!" We all knew about periods already, and were horrified to think of this girl announcing her first period like this. Turned out what she got was an invitation to a slumber party. The video went downhill from there. A girl at the party gets her first period in the middle of the night. In the morning, the girls gather round Mom to talk about it (even though in real life, most of the girls in my class were too embarrassed to tell their OWN mothers). Mom is making pancakes. One of the girls asks if there's a lot of blood. Mom says,"No, my doctor tells me it's only about 1/2 a cup" as she perkily holds up glass measuring cup filled with flour. Then, she makes a pancake shaped like a uterus with fallopian tubes attached and proceeds to explain the menstrual cycle in detail, referring to her ever-so-scientifically-accurate batter model. I wish I could get a copy of that. Also the chemistry safety video, for the part where the mannequin's polyester outfit catches fire and she has to do "stop, drop, and roll," which is demonstrably hard to do when your arms don't move.

--------------------
I can't put my arms down!

Posts: 273 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sint Blasius
Don't judge me...i'm not a book.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sint Blasius     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
there were two girls in our class (back when we were 11) who was having their first menstruation period. they were quite excited about it and made sure that everybody, including the boys heard them. they described the sensation at night as like, peeing in bed. to the boys, one of the girls said, it's like having wet poo (sorry) and not having control on it. LOL.

--------------------
"Never keep up with the Joneses; drag them down to your level. It's cheaper."-Quentin Crisp

Posts: 4 | From: The Hague, The Netherlands | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of those stories would be hilarious were they not kind of sad. I was lucky my Mother was able to talk to me about personal things!

When I started my first period, I was almost 12, and I ran across the street and told my best friend about it. I didn't tell my Mother. That afternoon, we were going shopping for school clothes, and I decided I'd better tell her. I wasn't sure the toilet tissue would suffice for the duration of the outing. Boy, was she ticked that she had to make a trip to the store before we could leave the house! Later, she couldn't figure out why I hadn't told her before I told my friend. I think it may have hurt her feelings just a tad. [Frown]

After a year or so of struggling with belts and pads, she asked my doctor if it would hurt for me to use tampons. He said it wouldn't, thank goodness. There was a little paper in them with a cartoon-type illustration. Mother discussed the procedure with me and said to give it a try. No problem the first time. Ÿay!

My sister is almost 10 years younger than I am. When she got up nerve enough to try tampons, Mother and I stood out in the hall waiting anxiously. Didn't work for her at first, so she tried it again the next day. Success! We cheered!

When my older daughter was 8 years old, she had saved a little money so she could buy Christmas presents on her own. My then mother-in-law took her shopping. She insisted on getting me a sanitary belt because it had a pretty lady on it, so it must be something her mother would like. Wasn't that sweet? I made a big deal over it Christmas morning. We still laugh about that!

I knew from the time I was about 4 that babies grew in the mommy's tummy, but I didn't know how they got there until 7th grade. I overheard some girls talking. I went home crying. My Mother was very good at making me feel better about the "horrible" act. You can bet your sweet bippy I was never going to do anything so awful! She would have told me sooner, but I had just never been curious. Kids learn things much sooner these days. [Roll Eyes]
[fish] My, my. How interesting. [lol]

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ramblin' Dave, quietly making noise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rushrulz:

My best friend never got the "talk." Her family was Taiwanese, and I'm not sure if that was related, the way her mother thought about women's things.

I apologize for crashing the ladies' room, really, but I do have a relevant story. [Embarrassed]

I lived in Taiwan for a year and a half, and periods are actually less taboo there than here. The topic never comes up when men are around, but almost every Western woman I knew over there was, at some point, subjected to a lot more information than she wanted from her Taiwanese friends and colleagues. It wasn't at all unusual to ask "hey, how are you?" first thing in the morning and get a response like, "Oh, I am tired. Woman, day two." (Another common way of describing it was "my MC," since "menstrual cycle" was rather difficult for them to say.)

--------------------
Another lifetime I'd have fallen in love with you
Swept away by my feelings, ashamed and confused
But just now it's enough to be walking with you
Let the mystery play as it will! -Lui Collins

Posts: 2669 | From: Jouy en Josas, France | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Missy_pooh1997
Cauliflower Ears

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Missy_pooh1997   E-mail Missy_pooh1997   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad to see my mom isnt the only one who has an odd hatred of tampons. She gave me info about my body, but basically went into a screaming fit when she found out that I had used tampons at age 16. She said they where for whores and that I wasnt a virgin b/c I didnt have a hymen anymore. She also belieived I must have had sex b/c to insert a tampon in a virgin would be excruciatingly painful. Oh and lastly that I would die of toxic shock syndrome.

THe reaction always perplexed me.

About the shaving above the knee...is anyone reminded of Rose on Golden Girls lol?

--------------------
"People do it everyday, they talk to themselves...they see themselves as they'd like to be,they dont have the courage you have, to just run with it".

Posts: 150 | From: St. Louis area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't know either what the big deal is with them. I guess out of sight out of mind for her, don't draw attention to your lady garden unneccessarily by shoving something in it. To this day when I ask her about it she gets all huffy and puffy and says, "you just don't do it, only whores do!!" I have no problem with them or anyone that uses them. I also sahve above the knee, should I have a scarelet letter placed on me too, mom?

I figure a scarlet letter on your shirt is better than a crimson tide down your pants.

Um... [fish]

Oh, and I laughed really hard at the euphemism "Lady garden" [Smile]

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chiefs_lady
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chiefs_lady   E-mail chiefs_lady   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about the old wives' tales, but I remember my grandmother talking about how she and her sisters had to handle the Auntie Flo when she was a teen (born in 1888), before the advent of "buy 'em at the store." They used fabric pads that they had to wash every use and reuse. They bought the cheapest cotton fabric and washed it until it was soft, then cut it and made it into pads that they used, then washed them (and bleached, I'm sure) again and used them over and over. She said that they kept a supply of clean pads in the dresser drawer and that she and her (four) sisters just grabbed--they didn't each have a personal supply.

Now aren't you glad you live now instead of then--when we have all sorts of options.

My mother NEVER told me one thing about menstruation or sex or anything. I was in 7th grade and woke up one morning to spots of blood in my panties--with no clue as to what it was. When I showed my mother, she very matter-of-factly said "Oh, you've just started your period" and handed me a pad and a belt, and an extra pad to put in my purse for school. When I got home that afternoon, a little pamphlet (the one Modess used to put out) was on my bed, and that was my introduction to "becoming a woman." The entire reproduction/babies thing came even later, when I found a very explicit book that showed exactly how babies are made, with photos and line drawings. Up until about age 14 or 15, I had never even seen a picture of a man's penis and had not a clue.

I could go on for pages about some of the things my mother did and said--and still does. But it would serve no purpose since it all happened over 40 years ago and can't be undone.

--------------------
The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches, but to reveal to him his own. -Benjamin Disraeli
----------------
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. -my friend Mary Ellen

Posts: 304 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for have yourself a Merry Little Galaxy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother had to make her own as well - and this would have been in the 1950's - although she grew up in India so possibly manufactured sanitary napkins were hard to get or too expensive.

Interestingly, re-usable cloth pads are making a comeback - though on this site they're much funkier than gran's cotton rags. (Although I consider myself a moderate environmentalist, I haven't quite the guts to try these things myself!)

--------------------
I love a sunburnt country, a land of sweeping plains - that's why I live in Melbourne, where it always bloody rains.

Posts: 632 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lainie:
quote:
Originally posted by Cervus:
And, since I started menstruation in 1994, the Judy Blume books were 20 years outdated with their talk of sanitary belts and being excused from gym class.

I was menstruating in 1974, and I couldn't get out of gym class for it, even when I had cramps so bad I could hardly stand. I think that detail must have come from Judy Blume's memories of her childhood -- or maybe my gym teachers were just hardasses.

Several of my high school's gym teachers would allow girls a certain number of "personal days" where we could ask to sit out of gym activities... This was in the 90s.

I don't remember having any sex ed or health classes in grade school (went to catholic school.) I'm not sure where I learned about the whole period thing, probably from friends or maybe from Stephen King (yeah, I was reading King before I was 12...)

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I never heard any of the legend regarding showering and periods as a kid. However, the whole thing's pretty much irrelevant to me as I prefer to take nice, hot baths during that time of the month. Helps alleviate cramps and stress.

I was a little scared when I had my first period, but my mom helped me with any questions I had. That's always a good thing.

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jennifer Gardner

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jennifer Gardner   E-mail Jennifer Gardner   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello everyone.

Great thread, very informative.
I'm 30. Have always used pads because that's what my mom taught me. I don't think she's ever used tampons. I also prefer to keep it a little tidy during blood week, otherwise you feel icky. Also, I've never understood women who have sex during blood week. It's the furthest thing from my mind when gallons of blood are leaking out of me.

Here's a website I found while googling pics of sanitary belts (because I'd never heard of or seen them either)...

The Museum of Menstruation
http://www.mum.org/index.html

Check it out.

Posts: 6 | From: Berrien Springs, MI | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jera
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jera   E-mail Jera   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jennifer Gardner:
Hello everyone.
... Also, I've never understood women who have sex during blood week. It's the furthest thing from my mind when gallons of blood are leaking out of me.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having sex during your period. If you are both STD-free, There is no medical reason not to. And an orgasm can help relieve cramps [Smile]

jera

Posts: 52 | From: Whitby, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've never understood women who have sex during blood week. It's the furthest thing from my mind when gallons of blood are leaking out of me.

Gallons??? You really should consult your doctor!

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
UrbanReindeer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UrbanReindeer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Mom says,"No, my doctor tells me it's only about 1/2 a cup" as she perkily holds up glass measuring cup filled with flour. Then, she makes a pancake shaped like a uterus with fallopian tubes attached and proceeds to explain the menstrual cycle in detail, referring to her ever-so-scientifically-accurate batter model.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] That is hilarious. However, I will not be finishing my breakfast this morning.

--------------------
"He feeds the sparrows of the field, but He doesn't sit there and cram worms into their mouths." -- Mouse

Posts: 396 | From: Pasadena, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sedorna

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sedorna   E-mail Sedorna   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've never understood women who have sex during blood week. It's the furthest thing from my mind when gallons of blood are leaking out of me.

Well, if one has a tendency to be a bit dry and thus need lubrication, the blood might absolve that need. Plus, there's nothing wrong with sex whilst bleeding. I do it all the time. (Ok, it's with *myself* since I haven't yet had sex with another person, but still...)

I got my period when I was in seventh grade and my thought was, "finally!" I had been wanting it for years. It would mean I was finally a real woman. I remember being so excited as I told my mom. She was rather cool; not the sort of person who would call somebody a whore or a non-virgin for wearing tampons. Heck, she'd even buy me tampons at the store, though she herself used pads.

I never liked pads. They always laid directly upon the crotch, which meant I'd bleed either in front of it or behind it. Or else it'd get turned around, and my pubic hair would get caught on the sticky side. Ouch, that smarts!

So, I went on to tampons. They weren't perfect, either. I had to change them too often, and near the end of my period, my flow would be too light for the tampon to go in smoothly, so I'd have to, shall I say, get to know myself in order for it to go in smoothly.

Now I use a reusable cup, and I simply adore it. It goes in easily, doesn't dry me out, it's saved a ton of money, and I never run out of it! Yes, it's not those who are queasy about seeing blood or touching themselves, but I've found it's quite for me.

Posts: 19 | From: Timonium, MD | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

quote:
Originally posted by UrbanRenewal:
quote:
Mom says,"No, my doctor tells me it's only about 1/2 a cup" as she perkily holds up glass measuring cup filled with flour. Then, she makes a pancake shaped like a uterus with fallopian tubes attached and proceeds to explain the menstrual cycle in detail, referring to her ever-so-scientifically-accurate batter model.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] That is hilarious. However, I will not be finishing my breakfast this morning.
Did anybody else see the Blossom episode where she got her first period? She missed having her mom around to talk to. It culminated with a fantasy scene in which she had a "perfect mom" (Felicia Rashad!) who illustrated her talk about menstruation by drawing a diagram of the female reproductive system on a cake (that she had just baked, of course) with one of those icing bags. I wasn't a huge Blossom fan, but that was funny.

--------------------

Ryda Wong, EBfCo.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   E-mail Ryda Wong, EBfCo.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just have to add my support for (hetro penetrative) sex during periods. Feels great, and I've never had any mess problems.

Personally, I think guys that are freaked out about it are pretty silly, esp. the guys who won't have sex with a girl on her period, but have no problem with anal.

Now, oral sex on my period? I can understand a person avoiding that.

--------------------
So many spankings! It feels so good! But at the same time, I don't care about meeting your family! - I'mNotDedalus:

Posts: 3216 | From: Denver, CO | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
ThistleSoftware
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThistleSoftware     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to third the support for sex during the flowering of the ladygarden.

If you use tampons and careful timing, I find that no mess at all need be made, and I've at times even been tidy enough to be comfortable asking for oral. My man is studly enough to not be put off by this request.

--------------------
Officially Heartless

Posts: 3065 | From: The Montgomery County of the West Coast- Berkeley, CA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seaboe Muffinchucker
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Seaboe Muffinchucker     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThistleS:
... the flowering of the ladygarden.

Now that is an image straight from glurge.

Seaboe

ETA: my mother did not swim when she had her period because it made it last longer. She did not, however, present this as something that happened to all women and she never told my sister and I we couldn't swim then. It happened to her, so she didn't swim then. So far as I know, she still showered (I wasn't really very aware of my parent's hygiene)

--------------------
Education is not the filling of a hard drive, but the lighting of a bulb. -- Yeats via Esprise Me

Posts: 5562 | From: Seattle, WA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Toys for big boys.
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toys for big boys.     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
*warning - too much info alaert*

Started when I was ten. Went to the bathroom and saw some blood in my undies. Told my mum, who proudly said to my dad "she's started her periods". All I can say is thank nfbsk she didnt hold a party for it. Because thats quite common in my culture!

--------------------
I am not taking lectures on physics from a man in tights.

Posts: 236 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages