snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Soap under the arm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Soap under the arm
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 401 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: A long time ago, I heard that placing a bar of soap under one's
armpit would raise one's temerature. Kids used this to fake sick and get a
day off from school or to get sent home from school. I've heard it more
than once (I know that one time was on the Nickelodeon TV show, "The
Adventures of Pete and Pete," but I don't recall the other sources.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This works, but only if one first heats the bar of soap to the point of incandescence.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why not just wait until Mom leaves the room, then hold the thermometer against a light bulb for a minute? Never fails. [Wink]

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it could restrict blood flow to the arm. I'm wondering if that would could cause a slight raise in overall body temperature. Even if it could, though, I highly doubt it would be enough to go from 'normal' to 'feverish'.

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Minstrel gone caroling
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Minstrel gone caroling   Author's Homepage   E-mail Minstrel gone caroling   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Esprise Me:
Why not just wait until Mom leaves the room, then hold the thermometer against a light bulb for a minute? Never fails. [Wink]

But then be careful when putting it back under the tongue. Burns are possible.

("Why, Minstrel, are you speaking from experience?"
"I plead the Fifth." [Embarrassed] )

--------------------
Last year's goat was burned down by vandals dressed up as Santa Claus and the Gingerbread Man. They were never caught.
My blog. The Adventures of the Fish O'Thwacking.
Countdown: 177 days (or less!)

Posts: 4926 | From: NW Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
00-Saleen
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00-Saleen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That was a plot point on Are You Being Served? as well. Didn't work, either. [Wink]
Posts: 239 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 214 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleNaughtSaleen:
That was a plot point on Are You Being Served? as well. Didn't work, either. [Wink]

Wasn’t that an onion under the arm and a bit of soap in the mouth? Or the other way around? Oh, wait … that was the joke, wasn’t it?

--------------------
I'd rather be with you people than the finest people in the world!

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
beaver_slayer
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beaver_slayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My... holding against light bulb, using soap... kids are so lazy these days...

Rubbing my thermometer hard to raise the temperature never failed for me. It also produced a nice sensible results. [Smile]

Posts: 246 | From: Toronto, ON / Kyiv, Ukraine | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
00-Saleen
Deck the Malls

Icon 302 posted      Profile for 00-Saleen     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by VeebleFetzer:
quote:

Wasn’t that an onion under the arm and a bit of soap in the mouth? Or the other way around? Oh, wait … that was the joke, wasn’t it?
Now I remember more clearly--it was onion under arm, soap in mouth. I haven't seen the episode in a while, so it's kind of fuzzy.
Posts: 239 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe if the soap is an irritant and causes blood flow to that spot, and we are talking about an armpit temp-taking, then maybe it's plausible.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BlushingBride

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlushingBride     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was a lucky kid. My mom believed she could tell if we had fevers just by feeling our foreheads. There's a great way to fake a fever of this nature--it's called "put your head under the blankets for a bit before she comes in."

--------------------
"In perfume, as in underwear, the scantiest of applications provides the greatest of returns." -Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 858 | From: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
blucanary
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blucanary   Author's Homepage   E-mail blucanary   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No see the easiest way to fake sick is to be prone to illness in the first place. I found that if I complained I got to stay home. But then the constant illness that year wasn't much fun. I think I missed half of my kindergarden year.

--------------------
I would add my signature but the pen won't write on the screen.

Posts: 458 | From: Maryland | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Esprise Me:

Just don't hold it to the bulb too long or you could wind up being rused to the emergency room when your mom thinks you have a 108 temprature. The results of that would not be pretty when the truth is discoverd.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Esprise Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Esprise Me     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I remember seeing an episode of "Blossom," (which, ironically, I'm sure I watched while home sick, since that's about the only time I watched TV) in which she used that technique and wound up with a "fever" of something like 118. She and her father had a cute discussion about the "personal flu." Anyway, it always worked for me; I'd just watch the numbers on the digital thermometer until it reached 100, then stick it back in my mouth, whereupon it would level out and beep. Just enough to stay home, not enough for the hospital. [Wink]

--------------------
"If God wrote it, the grammar must be infallible. Perhaps it is we who are mistaken." -MapleLeaf

Posts: 977 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
VeebleFetzer
We Three Blings

Icon 500 posted      Profile for VeebleFetzer   Author's Homepage   E-mail VeebleFetzer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by VeebleFetzer:
quote:

Now I remember more clearly--it was onion under arm, soap in mouth. I haven't seen the episode in a while, so it's kind of fuzzy.
I dare say you’ve seen it more recently than I have, all the same: that episode first aired in March 1975, and I sure as hell haven’t watched any repeats if I could avoid them.

I think you were right the first time, though. Mr Lucas was told to put a bar of soap under his arm and a piece of onion under his tongue, but he got them the wrong way round, and ended up foaming at the mouth.

--------------------
I'd rather be with you people than the finest people in the world!

Posts: 1010 | From: North Tyneside, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages