snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Don't share your wedding ring (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Don't share your wedding ring
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Pink Pill:
quote:
Originally posted by PrincessLeia:
As far as determining whether someone is married or not by looking at what finger the ring is on, in Eastern Europe, people wear wedding rings on the right not the left hand. So if you live in one culture and see someone from the other, it would be easy to misinterpret that person's marital status.

In Hungary men and women wear a ring on their left ring finger to show they are engaged. They switch hands when they get married. So it pretty much means taken, either way.

I kind of like it. I mean, why don't men wear engagement rings in the West?

Actually, no. Traditionally, men do not wear a engagement ring in the U.S. so until they day they actually have the wedding cermony and the wife puts the wedding ring on his finger, there is no indication he is engaged.

Robbiev -that's just in case we find somebody else before it's too late- 427

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
robbiev - singin' off key
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 105 posted      Profile for robbiev - singin' off key   Author's Homepage   E-mail robbiev - singin' off key   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by moonlight:
[QB] [QUOTE]Originally posted by Errata:
[qb]Then again, I have been out with my girlfriends and had my big old engagement ring and wedding band on and have had guys blatantly hit on me. Do they not know? Are they not looking? Do they just not care? Am I just that hot (kidding...)?

I'm sure it can probably be any of those. I can attest I know lots of guys who don't care and/or try anyway just in case.

For example, my father is infamous for replying to "I'm married" with "Oh yeah? How married?"

--------------------
Every time I see a good looking woman, I think, "0oooh. There's another one I'll never have!"

Corvette. The louder you scream, the faster I'll go.

Posts: 1820 | From: Memphis, TN | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silver:
I believe it's silver and gold -- I wanted to get a titanium ring, but mom insisted I get something less expensive. According to her, you're supposed to spend 1/4 to 1/2 on the man's ring as what was spent on the woman's ring.

Titanium is very inexpensive. My DH's band was around $100. He liked it because it is very lightwight and durable. It scratches easily though.

ETA: the correct price.

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cynthiamt
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cynthiamt   E-mail Cynthiamt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I bought my husband an engagement ring and he still wears it...on his thumb but he still wears it...it's a Celtic knot, and it isamusing that women seem to be attracted by it...ooooh thats neat..what is it? he tells them his enagement ring and they seem even more impressed, then he shows them his wedding ring that says in Latin " i am my beloveds and my beloved is mine" and they make a lot of oooohh noises about how romantic it all is...

he still leaves his underwear on the floor.

Posts: 10 | From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rehcsif
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rehcsif   E-mail Rehcsif   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Regarding dropping the rings during the wedding (mentioned earlier in the thread): Our pastor actually mentioned that if the ring were dropped, HE would bend down and pick it up. Evidently he had heard of cases where both the pastor and groom (and maybe even the bride) tried to go for it all at once and crashed heads...

-Tim

Posts: 1039 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tantei Kijo
The First USA Noel

Icon 217 posted      Profile for Tantei Kijo   Author's Homepage   E-mail Tantei Kijo   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I was safe marrying a guy I'd known since we were both 12. If only I'd known I'd turn him gay by getting him a silver ring... [fish]

--------------------
Bender: Though you may have to make a metaphorical "deal with the devil". And by "devil", I mean the robot devil, and by "metaphorically" I mean get your coat. ------------ My sad site: A new way to be bored.

Posts: 722 | From: Colorado | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Actor
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Actor   E-mail Bad Actor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wear gold (breeder) and always have, though we did buy new rings after 15 years of marriage. No one ever wears mine, because I never take it off.

--------------------
Bad Actor
_ _ _ _ __________________ _ _ _ _
Shhh! Vast Right-wing conspiracy at work...

Posts: 74 | From: Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Anyte
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anyte   E-mail Anyte   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Cynthiamt, I bought my hubby an engagement ring too, just an inexpensive silver claddaugh. I mostly just wanted him to get used to the feeling of wearing a ring every day. He wears it on his right hand now.

--------------------
Too broke to pay attention

Posts: 452 | From: Omaha, NE | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
no ring for me but mrs Davros has one passed from my grandmother to my mother then to mrs D

i used to have rings but used to always get them caught and not the best when delving inside computers

i have been thinking about geting my finger tattooed
with a ring but mrs D has said no so far

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joostik
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joostik   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joostik   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As far as determining whether someone is married or not by looking at what finger the ring is on, in Eastern Europe, people wear wedding rings on the right not the left hand. So if you live in one culture and see someone from the other, it would be easy to misinterpret that person's marital status.

In Holland, Catholics traditionally wear their engagement rings on the right and their wedding rings on their left hand. Protestants wear their engagement rings left and their wedding rings right.
Posts: 794 | From: Utrecht, Utrecht | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cynthiamt

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cynthiamt   E-mail Cynthiamt   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anyte:
Cynthiamt, I bought my hubby an engagement ring too, just an inexpensive silver claddaugh. I mostly just wanted him to get used to the feeling of wearing a ring every day. He wears it on his right hand now.

Maybe it's an Irish thing...with a name like Rielley, most all is.
Posts: 10 | From: Worcester, MA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
PrincessLeia
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PrincessLeia     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joostik:
quote:

In Holland, Catholics traditionally wear their engagement rings on the right and their wedding rings on their left hand. Protestants wear their engagement rings left and their wedding rings right.
That is strange. I am Dutch Canadian and Protestant, and I don't know any Dutch people who do that. Maybe all of them have adopted Canadian customs.
Posts: 185 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Southern Karebear
Bone Appétit!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southern Karebear   E-mail Southern Karebear   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Joostik:

That is strange. I am Dutch Canadian and Protestant, and I don't know any Dutch people who do that. Maybe all of them have adopted Canadian customs. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Joostik is correct. I am living in the Netherlands and married to a Dutch Catholic man. I wear my wedding ring on my left hand. My sister-in-law wasn't married in any church. She wears her ring on the right. So, it isn't only Protestants who do this. Also, it is common that both men and women have engagement rings, usually silver. The wedding bands are gold. They wear the engagement ring on the "married" finger and then switch it for the wedding ceremony.

Posts: 13 | From: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
James Irvine
Christmas in Kill Barney

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James Irvine   E-mail James Irvine   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Why would a person let someone else wear their wedding ring? If I even have mine off for 5 seconds my husband goes crazy. Same with me, if he takes his off for an extended period of time I get upset. He left it at work yesterday and I was furious. So we definitely wouldn't let other people put them on.

--------------------
"Whoah! That's more queer than a $1 bill!"
"Dude, no way! So am I!"

Posts: 11 | From: Charlotte, NC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gardenmarie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gardenmarie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
re: wearing a ring on your left ring finger affecting love life

I go regularly out to clubs, but with my husband and without. A few times I forgot to put my ring back on after my shower. I get hit on *more* when I'm wearing my ring - do the guys just figure that if I'm married they stand a beter chance of a "no-strings" relationship?

Posts: 16 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gardenmarie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gardenmarie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
oopps sorry for the double post
Posts: 16 | From: Tacoma, WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages