snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Don't make coffee with hot water

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Don't make coffee with hot water
Mitochondrial Steve
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mitochondrial Steve   E-mail Mitochondrial Steve   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I vaguely remember hearing this one - once from a family member and once from a cooking show. I don't recall what, if anything, the effect is supposed to be if you do not use cold water.

Being the rebel I am, I bit the bullet and made a pot of coffee with hot water... and noticed no difference (the coffee wasn't even hotter than when using cold water) nor any ill effects.

Has anyone else heard this one or know its origins?

ETA: Just for clarification, it concerns automatic coffee makers, though I guess it could apply to percolator as well.

--------------------
"America can, should, must and will blow up the moon."

Posts: 392 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I would guess it has something to do with the quality of water in your hot water tank.

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's what I would think too - I've been taught never to use hot water for cooking or drinking because of possible contamination from the water heater.
Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kendor
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kendor   E-mail kendor   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This site seems to be advising to use hot tap water but allowing it to cool first.

I couldn't though. I've seen the inside of a used water heater before. Blechh!

--------------------
May The Corrs be with you.

Posts: 170 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bozone
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bozone   E-mail Bozone   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, but the deposits in the water heater are minerals that came from the cold water.
Posts: 110 | From: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have heard if you have deposits that build up in your pipes, it can be knocked loose by the hot water before the cold water. I've seen it happen to some extent. I work in a building that is over 100 years old with some older piping. When I go to wash my hands, I turn the hot water on and it's more discolored at first than the cold water. After a few seconds, the hot runs clear as well.

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought the reason not to use the hot water was because more gook is dissolved in hot water by the nature of hot water being able to hold more in solution. So cold water is *cleaner*, but not because it hasn't gone through the water heater. Anyways, I have heard that if you like coffee you should use filtered or bottled water to make it because then it won't have any funky chemical taste from the chlorine or whatever they use to purify the water. For tea, I have heard that you should use twice boiled water.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In drip style coffee makers I don't think it matters much one way or another. In percolators, the longer it takes the coffee to boil, the more it soaks through the grounds, and therefor the stronger the coffee.

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kathy B
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kathy B     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
According to the the US CDC, there is a possibility that you may be exposed to lead in tap water.
quote:
[L]ead still can be found in some metal water taps, interior water pipes, or pipes connecting a house to the main water pipe in the street. Lead found in tap water usually comes from the corrosion of older fixtures or from the solder that connects pipes. When water sits in leaded pipes for several hours, lead can leach into the water supply.
[snip]
[If you find out that there is lead in your tap water, while you are taking other steps to get rid of the problem] drink or cook only with water that comes out of the tap cold. Water that comes out of the tap warm or hot can contain much higher levels of lead. Boiling this water will NOT reduce the amount of lead in your water. [snip]
[B]athing and showering should be safe for you and your children, even if the water contains lead over EPA’s action level. Human skin does not absorb lead in water.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Posts: 4255 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laura......The one with the rage
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought i'd gone mad when i read this thread until i realised that you're not talking about instant coffee. It's much more common practice to use instant straight from the jar here. Just add boiling water!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dogwater
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogwater   E-mail Dogwater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard to use cold water, but not due to contamination. My understanding, from a book on cofee I received several years ago, is that it has to do with how much oxygen is dissolved in the water, colder water having more O2. The reasoning is that more O2 brings out the flavor in the coffee. I assume this works more to the advantage of those boutique-type beans, not to Folgers, et al.

Now, I will not attest to the theory that more O2 actually DOES bring out more flavor, I'm simply passing along what I read.

--------------------
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Posts: 1679 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
John Stephens
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It's coffee, people. It doesn't have to taste good, it just has to work.

Tea, now...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mystara
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was always told not to use hot water in automatic coffee makers because the way the heating system is designed the hot water could cause pump and valve problems as it all is pushed through from the cold water side.

--------------------
Dad, what are books?
Look it up on the internet son.

Posts: 66 | From: Washington, D.C. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't usually use hot water in cooking because in my kitchen faucet, the hot water comes out opaque (white), bleh...
If you let it sit for a minute, however, it will turn clear.

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mystara
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Mystara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xia:
I don't usually use hot water in cooking because in my kitchen faucet, the hot water comes out opaque (white), bleh...
If you let it sit for a minute, however, it will turn clear.

Don't ask how I know this, but it's caused from air being trapped in the pipes that lead from your hot water heater to your faucet. As the water goes by those air pockets it pulls it out little by little making tiny little bubles in your water that give it a hazy appearance.

The air pockets are usually caused by not having enought water pressure to fill the pipes completely when the water runs through causeing bubbles to settle into the joints. The water itself should be as safe as any other chemically treated city water [Wink]

--------------------
Dad, what are books?
Look it up on the internet son.

Posts: 66 | From: Washington, D.C. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mgbdriver
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgbdriver     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Stephens:

I know I don't drink it for the flavor--

--------------------
"Chuck E. Cheese called. They want their band back."

my blog
Help me clean my basement!

Posts: 2717 | From: Michigan | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 304 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Stephens:

You don't care about how your coffee tastes? Heretic. [Big Grin]

- Pseudo "java junkie" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moi and Rhombus:
For tea, I have heard that you should use twice boiled water.

I saw a documentary where it said that the Queen does not want her tea water boiled at all, but rather has it poured to steep when the water is just about to boil; "on the cusp of boiling" was the phrase I believe.

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nolly
Fin City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kathy B:
According to the the US CDC, there is a possibility that you may be exposed to lead in tap water.

This is what I've always heard. I rarely use hot water for cooking -unless I'm in a big hurry

Nol' NSFBK lead poisoning-I'm hungry! 'ly

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages