snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Proper Age of Spouse .5(age) +7

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Proper Age of Spouse .5(age) +7
Mr. Fed
Happy Holly Days

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Mr. Fed   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Fed   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This sub-forum isn't the perfect fit, but I don't see a better one.

Does anyone know the origin of the oft-repeated notion that the proper age for a wife is half the husband's age plus seven? I have a notion that it is Victorian, but can't find a cite. Recently I've seen it repeated without the gender restriction as the proper limitation on the age difference in any relationship, and was hoping to find the source to show how silly it is to cite it as any sort of rule that should be taken seriously.

--------------------
With occasional, half-hearted, semi-literate blogging comes great responsibility.

Posts: 1621 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Huh? So if a thirty year old man marries a 22 year old woman, all well and good, but in ten years she'll be 32, whereas the proper wife age would be 27? What are you supposed to do then?

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
Huh? So if a thirty year old man marries a 22 year old woman, all well and good, but in ten years she'll be 32, whereas the proper wife age would be 27? What are you supposed to do then?

Dump the old hag for a younger woman!

Or maybe the OP was reffering to the age at the time of the wedding?

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to make a suggestion for an alteration if I could: the correct age for marriage is the age you decide to get married, + five years.

--------------------

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Algae
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Algae   Author's Homepage   E-mail Algae   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Alright, this will be of absolutely no help at all, but I just read Bath Tangle by Georgette Heyer. (Yes, it's a silly romance novel. I'm not in the mood for anything else right now.) A big deal is made of the 38 year old hero almost marrying an 18 year old girl, but nothing is said of the heroine being 26. .5(38) + 7 = 26. IIRC, a couple of other of her stories probably featured this age difference as well.

Heyer wrote during the 1920s through 1950s, for what that's worth.

--------------------
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Don't drink and derive!

Posts: 1957 | From: Southeast Michigan | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jason Threadslayer
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason Threadslayer     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard it as 1/2 your age plus 1 year.

Of course, in "Trees Grow High"/"Bonny Boy" (and many other names), the wife is "twice twelve" and the husband is "but fourteen".

--------------------
All posts foretold by Nostradamus.

Turing test failures: 6

Posts: 5481 | From: Decatur, GA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gale
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Gale     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:

So a 30 year old man should be marrying a 16 year old woman? Holy crap! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
Posts: 4811 | From: Austin, TX | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gayle:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Threadslayer:

So a 30 year old man should be marrying a 16 year old woman? Holy crap! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Men shouldn't marry until 40 anyway.
Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Soccer
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Soccer   E-mail Soccer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You can't really put an "age" on love, so an older man can fall in love with a younger woman, and vice versa, but it doesn't mean that a 40 year old guy loves an 9 year old girl
Posts: 71 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
zman977
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zman977   Author's Homepage   E-mail zman977   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[][/QUOTE]Men shouldn't marry until 40 anyway. [/QB][/QUOTE]

My Grandfather must have believed the same way. He married my Grandmother when he was forty one and she was twenty five. They were married just short of fifty years when he died. So there might be something to that advice.

--------------------
Check out the podcast at www.candidradio.com

Ever notice how we always fall in love? We never climb gently in to love, or step lightly in to love. If love is such a good thing than why is it described as a fall.

Posts: 918 | From: La Salle Illinois USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LadyLockeout
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LadyLockeout   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
I'd like to make a suggestion for an alteration if I could: the correct age for marriage is the age you decide to get married, + five years.

But I had decided to marry him when we were 11. Too bad he didn't see it that way until last year. [Smile]

--------------------
Katesune: We still can't find the way to albuquerque, and glisp won't stop to ask for directions.
Glisp42: Of course not. I know where I'm going, I just don't know where I am right now

Twisted Links

Posts: 2599 | From: Texas | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Storm Shadow
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know if it points to the real source, but I recall the 1/2age+7 being mentioned in the film Malcolm X as something taught by the Nation of Islam.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always heard that one as the lowest age you should consider dating someone. So, say, an 18 year old wouldn't be too bad off for dating a 16 year old, but a 30 year old probably shouldn't drop below 22 and so on.

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rick Maize

That formula is what someone told me when I mentioned to them how hot some young girl looked.
THey said "she is too young for you to even think about " [dunce]
SO I said ok,probably so, but what is the cutoff, how young istoo young? That is when I heard "the formula". They may have told it to me as half your age plus 5.

CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I read the 1/2 age + 7 years in James Michener's book 'The Source'. IIRC it was a Hebrew custom.

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rivka

If by "Hebrew" you mean Jewish, certainly not a custom I ever heard of. And while I'm no expert, I'm familiar with a whole lot of Jewish customs.
Crono
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crono   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crono   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard this as rumor well. The way I heard it, the formula was .5*AGE+7, which sounds about right (using +5 seems a little young, especially for people in their early 20s, and +1 definitely seems too low). However, as was mentioned earlier, this is a minimum age, not a way of saying "The person must be this age." Otherwise, you run into the aging problem mentioned by Chloe. Also, I heard that this formula applied to both men and women.

My source was Cosmopolitan magazine, and everyone knows that Cosmo is the premier source of relationship information.

Cro "Don't ask me why I was reading Cosmo" no

--------------------
Disclaimer: I might know something about everything, but I don't know much about anything.

Posts: 293 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

For the sex quiz, of course! Is there another reason?

--------------------

Malcolm

I was 34 when I dated my second wife aged 19, and later married, my second wife; and I was 61 when I married my third wife aged 32. So I fit quite well into the formula.
bruce down under
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bruce down under   E-mail bruce down under   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahhhh - I'd seen it attributed to Oscar Wilde (from memory).

Seems good in theory - especially the 'dump the old hag' bit.

Ouch, stop that. Ouch.

Bruce Down Under (Anyone out there 28?)

Posts: 429 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages