snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Happy Butternose to You!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Happy Butternose to You!
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 23 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Has anyone ever heard of the tradition of rubbing
butter on someone's nose on their birthday? I grew up with
this tradition.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Don Enrico
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Don Enrico   E-mail Don Enrico   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Birthday traditions:
Canada - Greasing the nose with butter or margarine. In Atlantic Canada (Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland) the birthday child is ambushed and their nose is greased for good luck. The greased nose makes the child too slippery for bad luck to catch them. This tradition is reputed to be of Scottish decent.

From here (scroll down).

I can't vouch for it's trueness - from the to german traditions cited there one i never heard of (leaving the candles on all day) and the other one is inaccurate (sweeping the town hall stairs if you are not *married* at 30 - girlfriend doesn't count).

ETA: Jacob from Richmond Elementary School, Chariho Regional School District, Rhode Island knows the tradition, too.

--------------------
My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places. - Pooh Bear

Posts: 2209 | From: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
petre
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for petre   E-mail petre       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My wife's family does this, although I'm sure they have no idea why [Smile]
Posts: 257 | From: In front of a computer | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Speaker for the Dead
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Speaker for the Dead   E-mail Speaker for the Dead   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If it is a tradition, it's restricted to the Maritimes. I'm from the prairies and I've never heard of it. The image of a kid being ambushed and greased is cute, though.
Posts: 148 | From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brad from Georgia
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brad from Georgia   Author's Homepage   E-mail Brad from Georgia   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's not where they put the birthday butter down here...but I have said too much.

--------------------
"No hard feelin's and HOPpy New Year!"--Walt Kelly
Hear what you're missing: ARTC podcasts! http://artcpodcast.org/

Posts: 7581 | From: Gainesville, Georgia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crackrzz
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm from Atlantic Canada and I never heard of that. Birthday spankings, on the other hand...

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laura......The one with the rage
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When i was in school, people used to throw a bag of flour over you. Sometimes eggs, too.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages