snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Soap for leg pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Soap for leg pain
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 600 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I have heard from several different sources of people getting
relief from leg pain by putting a bar of soap in bed with them. My husband
suffers from pain in his feet and legs, so thought it couldn't hurt to
try. He has experienced no pain since the soap was put in our bed about a
week ago.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
fictional lie
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fictional lie   Author's Homepage   E-mail fictional lie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
another good thing for muscle pain, if you don't have any ben-gay, etc., you can use vasceline. It does not work immediately by any means, but I have used it overnight. Apparently it keeps heat in, working roughly the same as icy∙hot or other such muscle creams.

--------------------
I am nothing but I'm more than you will ever be

Posts: 61 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not discounting what they said about the soap (as I've never heard of that one before) but I have to ask: how would a bar of soap help leg pain? Is it a particular brand with certain chemicals in it that does it? Are you just supposed to keep it under the sheets, or are you supposed to rub some on you or what?

Trish "Deeply curious" DaDish

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MeliKoritsi
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MeliKoritsi   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandma swears by this, and insists that it's only Irish Spring soap that works. I have pretty bad restless leg syndrome, especially at night, and wondered if it might help. No luck yet, but I still have a bar of soap stuck between my fitted sheet and the mattress pad at the foot of my bed, just in case.

--------------------
"In the harsh light of day, your plans seem crude and childish, making it all the more obvious that you need a good planning lamp."
>Liquor in the front, poker in the rear<

Posts: 424 | From: Edina, Minnesota | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loyhargil
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loyhargil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, hadn't heard the bar of soap one. Although when I was a kid and had horrible pain in my knees from juvenile rheumatoid Arthritis combined with Osgood Schlatter's disease (have NO idea if I'm spelling that one right), Mom and Dad would spray my knees down with WD-40. I often wondered (but always forget to ask) if they thought it would actually do something, or if they were using it as a placebo... Either way, even if it was psychological, it seemed to help a bit. ;-P

--------------------
Bender: Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Posts: 1170 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JFB
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB   E-mail JFB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So we're saying that leg pain can be abated by being near a bar of soap while sleeping?

I think we have a placebo effect here. In which case, I'll go with a "therapeutic" pile of clothes at the foot of the bed. And maybe an immovable cat or dog for charliehorses.

Posts: 472 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
petras
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
If you have leg pain, You may need magnisium in daily doses. Soap and water good for cleaning.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rotten little boys

petras is correct but I would like to also recomend adding calcium to thier diet.

Dh had terrible leg cramps until he began drinking more milk. We read this in several reputable online medical site. There is something about the milk that helps electrical impulses travle correctly I belive.

ranran yousei

Calcium is needed to contract muscles, magnesium is needed to relax them. If there's an imbalance in their quanitities muscles can get mixed messages. So, a lack in either can contribute/cause leg cramps. Since our bones have a lot of calcium to draw from, it's usually not the problem (not that you want it to draw from your mineral bank), magnesium deficiency is the culprit most often suspected (and yes, milk has it, just not in fabulous-make-you-drool amounts, it's considered a "good" amount, not "great", and certainly not in the preferred ratio to calcium).

Potassium is another mineral that aids in regulating muscle contractions. Fruits and veggies are excellent sources, and often those switching to high protein diets (lower in potassium foods) end up with leg cramps. Milk also has potassium (again, not "great" quantities).

Milk also has tryptophan in it, which makes us sleepy in high enough doses, so not totally far fetched to think it has relaxing qualities.

It also has B vitamins, of which some are used in enzymatic processes and energy production. It's possible they may play a part. (B vitamins aren't the likeliest suspect, but they aren't entirely off the list either.)

However, most things I've read first suggest dropping dairy or lowering it's intake, since calcium (which is higher than magnesium and potassium) is used in muscle contraction. (I try rely only on reputable nutritional and medical sites and books, I wouldn't have a job if I didn't. I neither have the energy nor will to draw up articles at the moment, just drawing from memory for now. I'm not challenging what was said, just pointing out where I'm coming from here.)

On the other hand, no two people are alike. Whereas dairy can afflict some with cramping, it may also contain a simple nutrient that is otherwise deficient... and rectify the problem.

Fun fun. Trail and error. Gotta love it.

As for the soap: If anyone can explain to me exactly how this is supposed to work, what method of action the soap could possibly have... I might think about it before laughing. Maybe.

ranran "now if maybe I slept in a bath of warm water...." yousei

rotten little boys

Thanks for the info ranran. I now know what to look for to back up my opions. Cool.

rotten 'mooo' little boys

Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Loyhargil:
Hmm, hadn't heard the bar of soap one. Although when I was a kid and had horrible pain in my knees from juvenile rheumatoid Arthritis combined with Osgood Schlatter's disease (have NO idea if I'm spelling that one right), Mom and Dad would spray my knees down with WD-40.

I had heard the same thing about the pain relieving effects of WD-40. Apparently mechanics with arthritic hands discovered while using it that it helped to lessen the pain in their hands.

Me, I still reach for the Advil.

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I only get it once every few months. I just let it ride and limp a bit in work. Goes away after three days. Much like any problem you got that requires a bed or sitting propped up legs for a few days.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wolfs Bane
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfs Bane   Author's Homepage   E-mail Wolfs Bane   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was younger and woke up with leg pain my granny would rub rubbing aclocal (sp???) on my feet, ankels, and legs when they hurt, that really seem to make the pain go away and I could sleep for the rest of the night.

WB

--------------------
My heat belongs to the moon

I am the hunter.... I am the pray

Posts: 52 | From: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages