snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Head of Hair = heartburn

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Head of Hair = heartburn
Pickle for sale
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 97 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was watching Regis and Kelly this morning and the topic turned to babies born with full heads of hair. Kelly said that the mothers of children born with full heads of hair experience worse heartburn than the mothers of children born without hair. Does anyone know if this is based on fact or just an urban legend?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WeezerFreak04

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope...just heartburn.

Hamptons OB/GYN.com says "This has nothing to do with the amount of hair the baby will be born with. It is simply caused by the pressure put on the stomach and intestines by the enlarging baby and uterus, which make digestion more difficult. Another function is hormones that cause the sphincter muscles of the stomach to relax.

Some simple steps to take to minimize the problem are as follows:

Avoid eating spicy and greasy foods.
Eat more slowly.
Avoid lying flat particularly after eating; an extra pillow at night may give some relief.
Tums may relieve some of the symptoms. "

These sites also say the same thing...along with other pregnancy myths

Kid's Health

Birthing Naturally.net

--Jackie

Out of the Blue
This Akagai's in Love with You

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Out of the Blue   E-mail Out of the Blue   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wait, so hair on your baby would give you heartburn? sounds like a UL to me.

--------------------
[witty comment or quote] [link to blog]
[link to picture of me/my dog/my cat/my kid]
[quote of an obscure anime show typed in Japanese characters]

Posts: 221 | From: Genoa, Illinois | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
rotten little boys

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had heartburn to the point of esophogial damage.
Outcome? Two nearly bald babies.

Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 97 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I came out of Majka Croat with a full head of hair. No heartburn.

OTOH, Majka Croat had heartburn while she was pregnant with my little brother, and he came out bald as an egg.

So, no correlation there.

- Pseudo "a bu(r)n in the oven" Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lgreywolf
Deck the Malls

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Lgreywolf   E-mail Lgreywolf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter was born with a full head of hair. No heartburn whatsoever. I don't think I've ever had heartburn, maybe I'm lucky. Anyway, I had never even heard of the hair=heartburn until a few weeks after I gave birth, when my nana commented I must have had terrible heartburn.

And no, I did not heed her advice that drinking beer increases a new mother's milk supply either. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Most Jewish holidays can be summed up very simply: They tried to kill us. We won. Let's eat." - my in-laws' Rabbi.

Posts: 430 | From: North of Boston, MA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was told the hair=heartburn thing more times than I can count when I was preggers with Julia Kitten. I never had heartburn when I was preggers, but that may have been because I couldn't eat much (so-called "morning sickness" 24/7 for the entire pregnancy).

Julia Kitten was born with long hair. It never fell out, either; she still has the hair she was born with.

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Crafty

I had heartburn terribly when I was pregnant with my first - so bad I experienced acid reflux for the very first time in my life, but solidly for 4 months. (My condolences to those of you who deal with that all the time like my hubby.)
Anyway - my daughter had hardly any hair, and didn't even have enough for a haircut until she was 2 and 1/2.
I'd say definitely UL - one of about fifty billion that a woman can expect to hear during their pregnancy.

strange_little_girl
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strange_little_girl   E-mail strange_little_girl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Terrible heartburn here, I kept a litre bottle of prescription antacid beside my bed and would swig it straight from the bottle several times a night and also went through a couple of rennies pocket packs a week.
Baby was practically bald, had so little hair that she never needed her first haircut till she was 3.

Hmmm, from the strictly unscientific responses from this threard the opposite seems to be true that hairy babies= loads of heartburn. [fish]

--------------------
I tried to get in touch with my inner child, but she isn't allowed to talk
to strangers.

Posts: 674 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nolly
Fin City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I had terrible heartburn during my pregnancy. I heard over and over how my baby was going to have lots of hair...I just rolled my eyes at them. [Roll Eyes] Much to my surprise though, Alyssa was born with hair so long they snipped a bit of it during my episiotomy! I know it wasn't the cause of my heartburn-but my relatives still insist that it was.
I'd understand the theory if I was coughing up hairballs but AFAIK they aren't connected.

Nol ' The NFBSK is connected to the e-so-pha-gus!' ly

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LibrarianJen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LibrarianJen   E-mail LibrarianJen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, add one to the "this doesn't fly" side! I had *horrendous* heartburn during my pregnancy, especially during the last 3 months. So bad, I told my husband it felt like I was drowning in fire. I realized that I had never had heartburn, ever, before I was pregnant, because I would never forget that feeling!
And, Baylor was born bald as an eagle - just like I was. I didn't have any hair until age 3 - literally. Maybe it's hereditary?

Posts: 1093 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
JFB
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JFB   E-mail JFB   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This only happens to mothers of baby boys who are born with long hair, and refuse to cut it.

"Ugh, you're giving me the heartburn!"

Posts: 472 | From: Brooklyn | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Loyhargil
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Loyhargil     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
No heartburn and my little girl had a full head of hair. Of course, for 9 full months, I couldn't keep food down long enough to develop heartburn. ;-P

Gotta say, though, SO worth it!

--------------------
Bender: Oh cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

Posts: 1170 | From: Iowa | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Martha Washington

I had terrible heartburn with both my first and last baby and they were born with head fulls of hair especially my son and the heartburn with him was the absolute worst. I do know that this is an urban legend though.
Martha Washington

I had terrible heartburn with both my first and last baby and they were born with head fulls of hair especially my son and the heartburn with him was the absolute worst. I do know that this is an urban legend though.
maddono

Icon 203 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Mother of 5 3 babies full head of hair complete and utter vile heartburn with all of the above 3 mentioned
Joseph Z
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joseph Z   E-mail Joseph Z   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Heartburn is caused by eating too much spicy stuff over a short amount of time. Like eating spicy dogs, chili, tobascco sauced foods, etc.

Baby hair causing heartburn is nonsense in my opinion.

--------------------
Joseph Z

Posts: 1356 | From: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LibrarianJen
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LibrarianJen   E-mail LibrarianJen   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:
Heartburn is caused by eating too much spicy stuff over a short amount of time. Like eating spicy dogs, chili, tobascco sauced foods, etc.

True, but more often in pregnancy it's caused by the growing baby's increased pressure on the stomach, not by what you eat (although that can be a contributing factor).
Posts: 1093 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DawnStorm
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 02 posted      Profile for DawnStorm   E-mail DawnStorm   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I get hearburn every damn month, either during my period or at midcycle! [Frown] I've never had kids in my life! I mentioned the heartburn to my gyno last time out and she was as flummoxed as I was. [Confused]

--------------------
Leashes?! We don't need no stinking leashes!!

Posts: 4771 | From: The Berkeley of the East Coast: Montgomery County MD | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Martha Washington

quote:
Originally posted by jenjoseph:
quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Z:

True, but more often in pregnancy it's caused by the growing baby's increased pressure on the stomach, not by what you eat (although that can be a contributing factor).
This is so true. I recall during my last pregnancy eating a slice of bread with nothing on it and getting heart burn. [Frown]
Crackrzz
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Crackrzz   Author's Homepage   E-mail Crackrzz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that is interesting... usually bread and crackers and whatnot will absorb and ball up the acid, so to speak, right?

--------------------
Stand up, slip on the bathtub floor, fling a hand up to balance yourself, and happen to have your mouth open on the downswing. Voila, a new hole in your face.

-Tabby, on how she cut her lip while shaving her legs.

Posts: 5097 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages