snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » when you see a hearse? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: when you see a hearse?
Laura
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 81 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When my mother sees a hearse she holds her collar until she sees a four legged animal. Anyone else heard of this?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The way I heard it from some cousins was to grab your collar when a funeral goes by and hold it until they're out of sight.

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CD

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
So... what's supposed to happen if you don't hold your collar?
Scout
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Scout     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never heard of doing this after seeing a hearse, but when I was a child I was always told that when you see an ambulance you should hold your collar until you see a dog, or the ambulance would be for someone you know.

Sounds like a variation on the OP, I'm afraid I don't know where it originates though.

Scout.

--------------------
"Abandon shop. This is not a daffodil, repeat, this is not a daffodil!"

Posts: 661 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laura

That was it! i remember her telling me why now. I remember someone saying dog ,but her saying four legged animal.... or vise versa. But it was about a hearse and not an ambulance.
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Never heard that one before I must admit.

Nice avatar btw Laura - let's hope he's on the scoresheet tomorrow at Old Trafford eh? [Wink]

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mrs.hi-c clown fishies
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrs.hi-c clown fishies     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
hmmm...sorta hearse related...I've always been told to hold my breath when we drive past a cemetery. Supposedly to keep the spirits from invading my nose? Maybe holding the collar holds the same significance?

mrs.hi-c

--------------------
This song has no title...just words and a tune.

Instant Hi-C--Just add water...

Posts: 1620 | From: Michigan | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laura

Icon 23 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's hope so indeed! It's also a nice piece of eye candy for me to see when i post!

Talking about death and burial, i also heard that in the past when people commited suicide they were not allowed to be buried on holy ground. Iv'e also heard that in modern times they can be buried on holy ground but have to face 'the wrong way'. just wondering if anyone else heard this and if anyone knows if it's true of not?

what about when you visit a grave? you'd die if you held your breath that long

put it in writing
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for put it in writing   Author's Homepage   E-mail put it in writing       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
mrs.hi-c: I used to do that as a kid. It got to be a sort of game between my sister and I when we'd go past a really big one.

I don't think we did it when we actually had to go IN the cemetary, though.

--------------------
and it's 1 - 2 - 3, what are we fighting for? don't ask me, I don't give a damn

Posts: 1319 | From: Florida | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Buzzkiller
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buzzkiller   E-mail Buzzkiller       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a kid we were told to hold a button when driving past a cemetary. If our clothing didn't have a button, we'd hold our belly buttons.
Posts: 207 | From: Alabama | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
2ys4u
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2ys4u     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandmom always used to tell me to hold my breath past cemetaries and lift my feet off the floor while driving under a bridge.

Also, the OP reminded me of that song.. I think it's something like:

Did you ever see a hearse go by and think that you may be the next to die?
They wrap you in a big white sheet, from your head down to your little feet.
And the worms crawl in, the worms crawl out,
in your stomach and out your snout.

(Or something like that, can't really remember).

--------------------
"Guns and butter."

Posts: 966 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laura

nice! not a song they taught you in nursery school then? [Big Grin]
I'm 20th Century Fox
Happy Holly Days

Icon 102 posted      Profile for I'm 20th Century Fox   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'm 20th Century Fox   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just for fun, this site has some variants on the song.

--------------------
When my chin is on the ground I pick myself up, dust myself off and start all over again.

Posts: 1765 | From: Greensboro, NC | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TrishDaDish
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 84 posted      Profile for TrishDaDish   Author's Homepage   E-mail TrishDaDish   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard the song as "The worm crawl in, the worms crawl out, they eat your guts and spit them out."

Years ago I was with a vacationing family that did the hold the breath going by a burial ground thing too. They almost passed out, as the street (Called Farewell Street, in Newport R.I., I kid you not) has two looooooong cemetaries on each side of the street, about four or five blocks long, and this was in summertime gridlocked traffic. ( Common Burial Ground info. You have to scroll a little.)

They'd never make it here on our Island. We have so many little historical gravesites all over our main roads that are unfortunately overgrown, so you may not notice them unless someone points them out to you. They'd probably pass out from lack of oxygen before they get to the next city.

--------------------
I would prefer not to.
My blog

Posts: 4789 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StratoGal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StratoGal   E-mail StratoGal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to hang out in the local (LARGE) cemetary whe I was in Junior High. (Small boring town).

Anybody wanna come over and play??? [Eek!]

Posts: 140 | From: Phoenix | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MisterGrey
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MisterGrey     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned it as,

"Don't you laugh when the hearse goes by
Or you may be the next to die
They wrap you in a big white sheet
Pulled over your head and down to your feet
And put you in a big black box
Covered up with dirt and rocks
Then the worms crawl in and
The worms crawl out
The worms pinochle on your snout"

They actually taught us more, something about pus, but I forget

Posts: 2711 | From: Texas | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laura

Icon 15 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaFriedChick:

That's it! i never ,ever want to die! [Frown]
Brandi
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandi     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Semi- (well, barely)relevant comic
Posts: 2787 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WeezerFreak04

Icon 216 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
First one doesn't really explain why people do it, but it says that if you see a hearse OR an ambulance you are supposed to touch a button, or you will be the next one in it. It also has some other superstitions that deal with death that I found kinda interesting for some reason. Other websites had similar superstitiions, except some said that one must hold a button until they see a bird.

Also, I found out in Japan they have a superstitiion about hearses too. This site says that they must hide their thumbs when they see a hearse or their parents will die. Because in Japan the thumb is known as the "parent finger".

But that's all I could really find, nothing is really explained the reasoning behind it. I guess it's just one of those superstitions.

Horse Chestnut
Happy Holly Days

Icon 220 posted      Profile for Horse Chestnut     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CarolinaFriedChick:

They missed The Pogues version:

The worms crawl in and the worms crawl out
The ones that crawl in are lean and thin
The ones that crawl out are fat and stout
Your eyes fall in and your teeth fall out
Your brains come tumbling down your snout
Be merry my friends, be merry

Back on topic: the only thing I was ever told to do when a hearse went by (we lived near the cemetery) was:
1. Quit horsin' around.
2. Don't stare.
3. Take off your hat. (This to my brother.)

Posts: 1651 | From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Laura

There sure are alot of alot of things that mean death on that website. If they were all true then i doubt there would be anyone alive in the world!
WeezerFreak04

I know! I think I should have died about 25 times by now!
After All
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for After All   E-mail After All   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I always hold a button when I see a hearse and keep holding it until it's out of sight. The thing is, I have been working next door to a funeral home for over a year now and I hope this superstition does not apply to parked hearses because I forget constantly!
after "though I'm still creeped out by the casket delivery truck that says "drive safely" on the back" all

--------------------
The trash heap has spoken! NYAAAHHH

Posts: 689 | From: Arkansas | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I bent my wookie

My great-grandma used to tell me that if I didn't hold my breath while passing a cemetery then a lost soul could enter my body. She also used to tell me that if no one blessed me when I sneezed my soul would leave my body. Nice thing to tell a 6-year old- I was terrified of sneezing! (To this day I *still* bless myself when I sneeze- don't know if that's supposed to count; but so far, so good!)
StratoGal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StratoGal   E-mail StratoGal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
OK.......no joke here folks. I pass a big cemetery every morning coming home from work. No biggie...I even stop in ever so often to check out the condition of a friend's grave, but this morning I was passing it and I looked in my rearview and BAM! There's this hearse behind me! He probably had just pulled out of the cemetery, but still.....I remembered this thread and thought, "Wow! DOUBLE whammy!"
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 140 | From: Phoenix | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
WeezerFreak04

Let's see her StratoGal...if my calculations are correct...you should have held about 8 buttons. Hahaha!
LeaflessMapleTree
The twelve shopping days 'til Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LeaflessMapleTree   E-mail LeaflessMapleTree   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The worms crawl out

And one little worm who's not too shy
Crawls in your ear and out your eye!

(Edited for spelling)

--------------------
"For me, religion is like a rhinoceros: I don't have one, and I'd really prefer not to be trampled by yours. But it is impressive, and even beautiful, and, to be honest, the world would be slightly worse off if there weren't any."
-Silas Sparkhammer

Posts: 3239 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
StratoGal

quote:
Originally posted by WeezerFreak04:
Let's see her StratoGal...if my calculations are correct...you should have held about 8 buttons. Hahaha!

Hehehe......I think that I was prolly more concetrating on holding my bladder! [Wink]
Nolly
Fin City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If someone dies and a child that is too young to understand death was close to that person, you must cross them over the open grave or they will be haunted with memories of the deceased.
I would think the memory of being passed over an OPEN grave would haunt a person [lol]

quote:
If your dog becomes rabid, it fortells a death in the family.
Uh...YEAH...seen Cujo? Nasty [Big Grin]

Nol 'the dog, not the hockey player' ly

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Xia
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xia   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MisterGrey:
I learned it as,

The worms crawl out

That song always reminds me of the book "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" as not only did they have some version of it in the book, there was also a really creepy version of the UL "Room for one more..."

quote:
I've always been told to hold my breath when we drive past a cemetery. Supposedly to keep the spirits from invading my nose?
I'd heard that one before but around here it'd be really bad luck to do that. Most of the cemetaries in my area are at least 2 blocks long! You'd pass out before you ever got past...

--------------------
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Posts: 2110 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Faith
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
To address the OP, Danny Baker, British radio DJ has often mentioned that as a child, he used to hold his collar when he saw a hearse until a four legged animal went past.

--------------------
"You watched it. You can't UNWATCH it."

Posts: 1646 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Tea
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Tea   E-mail Jay Tea   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Every time I see a hearse I get reminded of the depressing nature of burial. There's a funeral parlour down the road, with black Saab hearses pulling in and out every day - bloody grim, and no doubt very expensive - pack me up in an orange crate coffin and strap it to the top of a very brightly coloured VW Beetle, preferably with some Zappa booming out of the car stereo - people passing by would point and smile as opposed to some penitent ritual...

--------------------
This is where I come up with something right? Something really clever...

Posts: 6552 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Regina Felangie
I'm Screaming of a White Christmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Regina Felangie   Author's Homepage   E-mail Regina Felangie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Amen to that.

I think funerals are so cliched, why do what everyone else did? I hate the idea of my family picking the music played as people enter and exit too, it was bloody Unchained Melody at my Gran's funeral and to be honest, it made me cringe. I wouldn't want a gravesite because I wouldn't want my family to feel guilty about not visiting, and being reminded when they drove past, etc.

I would like my family to have one party a couple of weeks after it happened, to say goodbye, and celebrate my life, but no actual funeral, where my relatives see my coffin go behind the curtains and all that, it also segregates any atheist friends if held in a church. I would want it to be totally non-religious.

Both my Aunt and Gran had some strange man, I'm guessing he was maybe the undertaker giving a biography of their lives. I would much rather have someone I know up there, or nobody at all. Oh I don't know, I'm just waffling now, t'is a tricky subject.

--------------------
You know my bip-bopping days are over, I hung my boots up and retired, from the disco floor.

Posts: 775 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the Virgin Marrya
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Virgin Marrya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jay Tea, can I drive?

Seriously, it's one of the big reasons why I'm a marriage celebrant - it's the back door to doing GREAT funerals.

[For some reason, people get all icked out when I tell them my passion is to "do really great funerals" ??]

There's a place locally, here, that you can buy a plain multiboard coffin, and decorate it yourself [or have your relatives do it for you, if you run out of time]

It's kinda cool to see purple, orange, teal blue, graffiti, hippydaisy style coffins [apart from the fact that they are COFFINS, of course]

ETA: Regina - it's possible to have stored on file what your wishes are re:funerals. It probably won't be able to 'force' the famn damily to do it your way, but it will give them soem ideas.
Some 'pre-paid' type funerals allow options for your own 'advance directive' - but, so far, that only applies if you're using the 'standard' funeral director type facilities.

--------------------
Windows cannot open this file. To open this file correctly, defenestrate, then try running the file again...

Posts: 5383 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mosherette
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mosherette     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going out to Darth Vader's theme [Big Grin]

--------------------
Silence should never under any circumstances be construed as agreement. A lot of the time, it's simply a reflection that someone just said something so stupid that no response could possibly do it justice. - Ramblin' Dave

Posts: 8528 | From: Nottingham, England | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages