snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Old Wives' Tales » Redheads (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Redheads
Ryan's Privates
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I spent WAAAAAAAAY too much time on google today.

During my meanderings, I came across this site.

The site is set up a bit oddly, but there are lots of redhead jokes there.

Ryan's "natural blonde" Privates

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Philbillly

Icon 02 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm also a redhead (fascinating, right?).

People have told me that redheads are hot-tempered. But hot-tempered people annoy me, and I try not to be one of them.

I've heard that redheads are sex kittens. Maybe, but no more than any other woman.

My favorite, though, is that redheads are associated with witchcraft. A New-Agey type woman once told me that if a person has red hair, green eyes, and is left-handed, he or she is a witch. Which may sound silly, but it's a lot cooler than the other stereotypes.

I'm left-handed, but my eyes are blue, so I'm only 66% witch. I guess.

Doc J.
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 15 posted      Profile for Doc J.   E-mail Doc J.   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Please don't take offence, but in London, it is widely held that all gingers smell faintly of urine. Can anybody confirm this for me ?
Posts: 3100 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
junemiller31

Icon 19 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc J:
Please don't take offence, but in London, it is widely held that all gingers smell faintly of urine. Can anybody confirm this for me ?

Er, I have never had any complaints. Sounds like a weird British Old Wive's Tale to me. Probably thought up by some vindictive brunette who couldn't get any because all the men were taken by redheads!

Sarah "curtains match the carpet" Thibideaux

Sam I Am

Gotta jump in here with the voice of experience. I am a red head (maile) and have in the past been involved with a red head (female). The myth is that we are schizo. One minute, sex kittens or horn dogs, the next flashing knives and killing small animals out of spite, all the while wearing the same little grin. For the good or the bad, in my experience, it seems to be true. I know that I run hot and cold, changing in a blink, and so did my former SO. Unfortunately, we seemed to be always running on opposing tracks, and ended up like a train wreck on a near daily basis. Of course, this could just have been because of upbrining, or drug use, not really a side effect of our peculiar pigmentation.

Persoanl life, and personality myth aside, the most common question I have gotten in my adult life (from mid teens to mid 30's) is about the shading of my pubic hair. People, men and women alike, seem obssessed with whether or not the color of the rugs matches the drapes. I think this is partly why the sex kitten, vicious bi*** myth started. With so many men chasing you, relentlessly, wanting to know, first hand, the color of your pubes, you can get a bit unpleasant, I should think, and start to take it out on the suitors who may follow. I know that even though I am a man, there has not yet been one woman I was bordering on involvement with, or one casual chat-up at a drunken party who didn't make mention of it. That much attention on something so silly is bound to make you feel a bit off, and so act a bit off.

Philbillly

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. No one's EVER asked me about that. Ew.
Splendid Ap

Icon 04 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As a guy engaged to a redhead, I've discovered she has strong emotions but not a short temper. So at least in that respect, the stereotype does not hold true.

Splendid "that's all I'm telling you" Ap

Evil Kitty Cat

Icon 07 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am also a red head, but seeing this topic came up I am baffled by this..

My S/O apparently likes redheads and has dated a lot of them in his time. Whenever we're out though, I catch him checking out blondes. So he must just like the look of blondes and maybe he likes the temperment of redheads. I don't know...sometimes I even think about coloring my hair blonde just to see his reaction!

ParaDiddle
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 01 posted      Profile for ParaDiddle   E-mail ParaDiddle       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evil Kitty Cat:
I am also a red head, but seeing this topic came up I am baffled by this..{snip}

I'm in the same boat as your SO. Based on personal opinion, I'll offer this; Regardless of which hair color a man prefers, blonds are always eyecatching. IMHO, the lightness of the hair alows them to always stand in good light. Blondes are easy to pick out in a crowd or from a distance. Redheads have a similar effect and some would argue that redheads have it to a greater degree.

A person with dark hair requires a deeper and more detailed viewing before their beauty becomes evident and (using talk-show sociology) this process is likely related to how dark haired people are perceived.

Being that we are a visually oriented society (men do this to a fault) we tend to assume personality traits based on visual cues. Regardless of hair color, just about any woman's beauty could be described as ditzy, firey, smoldering, ethereal, dangerous, bubble-headed, etc. We have chosen to remember certain things about certain women with certain hair color. I'll leave the "whys" to the accredited sociologists.

- Para "So, don't ask about The List" Diddle

Posts: 1856 | From: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Terilyn

Icon 88 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've noticed it to be true that redheads seem to get noticed more than brunettes...at least in my own experience... last winter I went through a phase where I wanted to be brunette. I'm the splitting image of my mom, who has dark brown hair, and she's beautiful, so I tried it out. It was a very dark brown with no red hint whatsoever. I found that I was rarely looked at, much less paid any attention to! It isn't like I was hit on all the time when I was a redhead, but as a brunette I was nonexistant. After I dyed my hair back I started getting more attention. It's weird, but it does seem to be true.
Shell Uumellmahaye

Icon 97 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Terilyn:
I've noticed it to be true that redheads seem to get noticed more than brunettes...at least in my own experience... last winter I went through a phase where I wanted to be brunette. I'm the splitting image of my mom, who has dark brown hair, and she's beautiful, so I tried it out. It was a very dark brown with no red hint whatsoever. I found that I was rarely looked at, much less paid any attention to! It isn't like I was hit on all the time when I was a redhead, but as a brunette I was nonexistant. After I dyed my hair back I started getting more attention. It's weird, but it does seem to be true.

I think it depends on what you're used to seeing. I'm blonde and blue-eyed. Everyone in my family is either blonde or has light brown hair and blue or green eyes -- parents, sib, aunts, cousins -- we're one big recessive gene gang. I remember when I was in grade school I thought that dark hair and eyes were the most beautiful things ever! I had a friend with really dark brown eyes and I thought it was so cool how you almost couldn't tell where the pupils start.

I'm still more likely to be attracted to a guy with dark hair and eyes than another blue-eyed blonde. Isn't there some sort of genetic advantage to mating with people whose genes are different from your own?

Shell "I would dye my hair but I'd look like Elvira" Uumellmahaye

sunperch

I am a redhead, and I am a even tempered person most of the time. also it is not rue that we smell like urine. my skin slighly smells like peanut butter most of the time, when I don't have on any perfume.
Joe Bentley
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh a redhead is nothing but a blonde that hasn't had the fire *NFBSKED* out of her yet

*Allow me... [fish] [fish] [fish] [fish] [fish] [fish] [fish] *

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mama Duck

Icon 606 posted      Profile for Mama Duck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
May I be nosy, sunperch? How did you even find this thread? It's 3 years old.

--------------------
There is no interpersonal problem so big that it can't be solved with a suitably large amount of high explosives. ~ Bufungla

Posts: 3562 | From: South Texas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sunperch

sure, mamma duck, I was surfing the site and found it. And Joe, all I have to say to your last post is this: Ignore ignorance, and bless intellegence.
Chimera

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Around here there aren't very many redheads so we get noticed. My natural colour is dark aburn but after a college boyfriend commented about liking my red hair I started to lighted it. Now I know I'm not always (or even often) the most attractive thing in the room but still I get noticed. Its like the bag of chips on the end of the isle in a grocery store... it might not be the best quality or the best price but its what people notice and tend to pick up. Regardless of my mother's (a blonde with a red head mom) view that she'd 'rather be dead than red on the head' I'm happy with it. You just gotta work what you're given. The only sad thing is my son seems to have gotten my genes. Its way too cute right now but I don't know how being a carrot top is going to work for him as a teen. Sometimes its good to be a female. Although I do notice a lot of people let stuff he does slide because he's a red head and they have tempers. Its society that's turning us into monsters.

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
waterlily
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for waterlily         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to live next door to a redheaded girl and she was definately the easiest kid I've ever babysat for.

"Time for bed Gabby"
"Okay"

"We have to clean up this mess before your parents get home."
"Okay"

I miss her.

Posts: 480 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 06 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose this is as good a time as any to post this sad story:

Red hair on death row.

quote:
THE future is bleak for the Irish colleen say experts this week – with the extinction of redheads in 100 years.
Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Cervus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cervus   E-mail Cervus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, please. I recall WHO saying the same thing about blondes a while back.

--------------------
"There is no constitutional right to sleep with endangered reptiles." -- Carl Hiaasen
Won't somebody please think of the adults!

Posts: 8254 | From: Florida | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
sokpuppit

Icon 103 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue, the long-haired Ma(nx)hone:

Red hair on death row.

quote:
THE future is bleak for the Irish colleen say experts this week – with the extinction of redheads in 100 years.
Pogue
My daughter is of Irish decent....with red hair...and her name is Colleen. Hmmm

She is quite tempermental, but I always chalked that up to her being a 9 year old, not a red head. She usually smells like Kool aid or shampoo, not urine, not since she was two. [Razz]

sokpuppit

Icon 103 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pogue

My daughter is of Irish decent....with red hair...and her name is Colleen. Hmmm

She is quite tempermental, but I always chalked that up to her being a 9 year old, not a red head. She usually smells like Kool aid or shampoo, not urine, not since she was two. [Razz]

Red Squirrel

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Red Squirrel   E-mail Red Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pogue, the long-haired Ma(nx)hone:

Red hair on death row.

quote:
Pogue
I think that'a rubbish. 100 years is, what, 3 generations. Plus as interacial marriages are on the increase I think there will be more red hair than less in the future. I think blond is far more likely to be on the decline- but then so many people belach their hair that it's almost impossible to tell how commonplace it is.

--------------------
The Sqizzle formally known as Lexi

Posts: 3231 | From: Nottingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe what he meant was the extinction of the redheads that are alive NOW... within 100 years, it is a pretty good bet that these people will be dead.

[fish] HEY! What was THAT for?!

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
the fragility

Red hair on death row... what did we do this time?
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As regards the question in the OP:

I've known a fair number of redheads in my time, and their common characteristics break down like this:

Redheaded men: Trouble. (But usually of the mischevious kind.)

Redheaded women: Insane. (But usually one of the fun kinds!)

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
midaro

Redheads are Neanderthals?

http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3adc5573604d.htm

http://news.scotsman.com/health.cfm?id=1268682003

Dark Aphrodite

From the stereotypes I have heard:

1. Blondes are supposedly dumb
2. Burnettes are..I suppose they would be described as average
3. redheads are the smart ones

lol, people have said this because apparently "smart people have more zinc and copper in their hair"
But that's all they are....stereotypes..

moonlight
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 88 posted      Profile for moonlight   E-mail moonlight   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit off topic, but how the heck did this thread get retrieved? I thought we lost all the old stuff in the last crash.

And I couldn't help but notice this:
quote:
Originally posted by moonlight:
On topic, I dropped some sexual innuendo today, and my boyfriend called me a firecracker.

I posted that about a month after we started dating and we're getting married in two months. Wow.

--------------------
I'm back to lurking.

Posts: 2709 | From: Illinois | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nolly
Fin City

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nolly   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I agree. For about 15 years I have been dyeing my hair copper red (my natural colour is dark chestnut brown -yet my skin is very pale, freckled and burns easily- go figure)
I felt I needed a change so I went back to my natural colour...what a DIFFERENCE!
Not only did I feel invisible...the people whom I did converse with often assumed I was 10 years older-I am 31 and they often thought I was in my mid-40's!
After 3 weeks I had had enough and went back to being a happy-and younger-looking- carrot top!

ETA
My mother has noticed since colouring her hair light copper that she has received much more attention from the opposite sex.

--------------------
DON'T waste money on expensive paper shredders to avoid having your identity stolen. Simply place a few dog turds in the bin bags along with your old bank statements..

Posts: 102 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Magdalene
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Magdalene   E-mail Magdalene   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nolly:
quote:

I agree. For about 15 years I have been dyeing my hair copper red (my natural colour is dark chestnut brown -yet my skin is very pale, freckled and burns easily- go figure)
I felt I needed a change so I went back to my natural colour...what a DIFFERENCE!
Not only did I feel invisible...the people whom I did converse with often assumed I was 10 years older-I am 31 and they often thought I was in my mid-40's!
After 3 weeks I had had enough and went back to being a happy-and younger-looking- carrot top!

ETA
My mother has noticed since colouring her hair light copper that she has received much more attention from the opposite sex.

My experience was quite the opposite. My natural coloring is fair skin, blue-green eyes, and dark brown (frequently mistaken for black) hair.

Well, I *really* wanted to be a redhead. So I became one--lovely dark auburn shade that really went great with my hair and eyes. I've got pictures, there's nothing to indicate it wasn't the shade I was born with.

Men hated it. Loathed it. Every man I knew asked me to go back to the natural color. The most common thing I heard was, "The dark hair framed your eyes so much better." (Which I thought was odd for men to say, but I've always gotten compliments on my eyes, so who knows.)

When I was laid off, I went back to the natural color, and the men are much happier with it. My guy friends make a point of telling me that they think it looks so much better--they're afraid I'll go back to red. I get more sexual/romantic attention from men as a brunette than I did as a redhead. I must know a lot of brunette lovers. *grin*

Magdalene

--------------------
"Don't mess with me. I dance with swords."

Posts: 1656 | From: Colorado | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
As the husband of a redhead I can confirm the legend about their tempers is true.

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
As the husband of a redhead I can confirm the legend about their tempers is true.

How to explain my temper then, since I'm a light brunette who colors blonde?

Four Five Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Moosedog

Three rules:

1. Never fight with a redhead.
2. Never fight with a soprano.
3. If you ever run into a redheaded soprano, get used to saying, "Yes, dear."

DemonWolf

Icon 103 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Sign of Four Kitties:
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:

How to explain my temper then, since I'm a light brunette who colors blonde?

Four Five Kitties

I could try, but I'd only get into more trouble. [Wink]

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Seven Different People
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seven Different People   Author's Homepage   E-mail Seven Different People   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think one stereotype of redheads that everyone thinks is true is that they're all fair skinned.

Except...

I'm red head, and a quarter Filipino. As such, I'm a red head who tans. I can go out to the beach for hours without sunblock and nothing will happen to me burnwise. Yet people are always commenting on how I must use tons of sunblock when I go to the beach because I'm so pale, despite the fact that if I ever put my arm right next to theirs it's obvious that I'm the tanner one.

No one's ever held me to the hot-tempered on yet, though.

-"And we all look like Ron Weazly" Sevi

--------------------
If life throws you lemons, make lemonade. If life throws you lemonade, make lemonade smoothies.

Posts: 804 | From: California | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages