snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Petty Bickering » US Mint pushes new $1 coin (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: US Mint pushes new $1 coin
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
I really, really hope birdman isn't feeling responsible for this and that it doesn't drive him off.

Way to totally derail what had been an interesting and informative thread into bickering over personal grudges, guys. Good job.

I suppose I was supposed to say nothing in my defense? Maybe I was, but I was perfectly willing to stop when I was, yet again, asked to "substantiate" my claims and have yet another *demand* for an apology. Never mind that, there were 4 posts by trollface even after the "let's just forget about this".

It was never my intention to make so much of this - mostly because I had really forgotten all about it.. But it wasn't me who hijacked the thread, called up something out of the past, and made it the issue. And yet, I feel that I should defend myself and my actions. I was insulted - the comment was not at all neutral.

I'm perfectly willing to stop and let this go. But I'm afraid that I can't speak for the other party.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What were we talking about - something to do with notes and coins wasn't it?

I remember being upset when the ten shilling note was replaced with the 50p coin. Probably because at the time, for a seven year old, a ten shilling note given as a birthday present by a well off relative had real purchasing power, especially at the local sweet shop. Riches beyond the dreams of avarice. A 50p coin just didn't feel the same. But it was 37 years ago, and I've made the adjustment. I've got over it.

Now I sneer at all the Italian Catholic Gangsters, laden down with their ill gotten gains in 50p £1 and £2 coins rather than notes, to be easily apprehended by the police when they drop from exhaustion.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
When ever I think of strippers accepting coins of tips (which is what I think of when I think of $1 coins), I think about a coin slot. You know, where their butt crack should be.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hero_Mike:
Perhaps the should also know that you waited two months to hijack a thread and stalk me until I said something that you could use as fodder.

Because you didn't reply and refused to supply cites when asked to in that other thread.

quote:
I leave it to you to explain perhaps why you choose to stereotype gangsters as Italian Catholics.
As can be seen from the quotes, I didn't.

I said that the fictional gangsters that you cited to reinforce your point would often be Catholic Italians. If you want to tell me that fictional gangsters aren't "often" portrayed as Catholic Italians, then that's a conversation we can have.

I'll happily admit that the way I phrased it could be taken somewhat ambiguously. However, I clarified what I meant in my subsequent post on the matter, as well as pointing out that I, myself, am Italian, so was unlikely to be perpetuating such a stereotype. These are facts that you seem to have filtered out seemingly being determined to take offence instead, however.

I should also point out that saying that gangsters are often portrayed as Italian and Catholic in no way implies either that gangsters necessarily are Catholic Italians, nor that Catholic Italians are gangsters. Neither of those things logically follow.

quote:
Both of those generalizations are insulting. You chose to bring this up in a thread title "God vs. Science", where you are clearly against me and my support of religious belief.
Not against, no. Do I disagree with you? Yes. Am I against your beliefs? No. As you would have been able to ascertain for yourself, had you been prepared to have a calm and rational conversation about it, rather than going off on one.

quote:
I'll leave it to you to prove that you didn't know that I was Catholic when you said this, because I've often made that claim, usually with some line like "I happen to be trained in the sciences, and Catholic, and no, I don't believe that the world is flat, nor do I believe that all you heathens/pagans/miscellaneous are going to hell." So yes, I believe you said it specifically to be insulting and inflammatory.
Such a thing would be impossible to prove. You can't prove a negative. I can say two things for sure, though.

Firstly, when I said what I did I barely knew who you were. I'd seen your name once or twice, but didn't know anything about you, or your views on any subject, other than in the thread at hand from the specific posts you had made. You can choose to believe that it's some kind of personal vendetta against you and yours, should you so choose, but this is an irrational take on the subject, in my opinion.

Secondly, had I known that you were Catholic, I would still have said the exact same thing. The point I was making was, quite simply, that your ascertation that "religion" = "morality" was wrong. Whether it's your religion or not makes no odds, as can be seen by my other example of Wahhbism.

quote:
You chose to make this slur.
If you really think that pointing out that fictional gangsters are "often" portrayed as both Italian and Catholic is a slur against anyone, then I honestly don't know what anyone could say to make you approach the subject in a reasonable manner.

quote:
And for someone who quoted the rule of conduct about being civil, I also remember in that thread being asked "who pissed in my cornflakes", because I didn't respond with proper respect and deference to you.
Well, let's not get into who said what first, but I think you should probably note that in this sentence you are actually admitting that you were the first person to start being rude.

Not that that's an excuse, of course. I was very tired and a bit fraught when I was replying to that post, and got rude and snappy when I shouldn't have, for which I apologise.

quote:
I'm sorry that you can only think of yourself and your future employment when you go on a public forum, hurl an insult based on an ethnic and religious stereotype, and then hope that no one will see it.
And I'm sorry that you thought you could accuse me of being racist, being a religious bigot, and participating in a "holy war" against anyone and everyone with faith, and then just walk away as if nothing had happened. Those are big accusations to throw around, and I feel that you have done so in the heat of the moment, in an irresponsible and unjustified manner.

quote:
To my Italian friends, who are moderately Catholic and definitely *not* gangsters, your comments are indeed "fightin' words".
Only if they didn't actually read what I said, and were looking to take offence. I would hope that they were a little more level-headed than you are, though.

And what about my Italian me?

quote:
I wish I had quoted your posts[...]
Well, I only asked you to about 15 times. I suppose it probably never occurred to you.

quote:
Like I said, I predict that you won't let this go and you'll continue to stalk me from thread to thread until you are somehow satisfied.
No, actually, until you replied here again, I was going to let this go. As my last post in this thread indicated. Now, at last, you are actually engaging with me on the subject, though, I hope that it's possible to work it out.

I don't want to fight with you. It's not something I'm enjoying. I ask you to take a step back and look at this situation calmly. Look at what I actually said. I didn't say that Italians were gangsters. I didn't say that Catholics were gangsters. I didn't say that you were a gangster. I didn't say that your Italian or Catholic friends were gangsters. I didn't say that I was a gangster. I also didn't say that all, or indeed any real gangsters were either Catholic or Italian. I said that fictional gangsters were often portrayed as both Catholic and Italian.

If this is something that you truly object to me having said, then please explain why, calmly. And, if not, then can you concede that maybe it's possible that you misunderstood what I meant?

quote:
And that any explanation you provide for having meant no insult, is now tainted with your affirmed motivation that you don't want to appear "intolerant" because you are concerned about your employment. In other words, it can't be sincere.
I'm sorry, but that doesn't follow logically. Whether I want people to think that I'm a racist doesn't have any bearing on whether I am a racist or not. Had you accused me of rape, I would be defending myself just as hard, and it's also something that I wouldn't want my current or potential future employers to think about me. I hope you can see that that wouldn't actually make me a rapist.

Please, I'm extending the olive branch, here. Meet me halfway.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Seriously you two, what the hell is up your asses? You have been relocated to Petty Bickering. That should give you a hint that this kind of posting is not okay.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Eddylizard
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddylizard     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
When ever I think of strippers accepting coins of tips (which is what I think of when I think of $1 coins), I think about a coin slot. You know, where their butt crack should be.

I have been told tales, UL'ish probably of strippers who would pick up coin tips from the corner of the patrons table using nothing more than something only women have and muscular dexterity.

--------------------
"Ladies and gentlemen, this is what is commonly known as money. It comes in all sizes, colours, and denominations - like people."

Posts: 997 | From: Maidstone, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Seriously you two, what the hell is up your asses? You have been relocated to Petty Bickering. That should give you a hint that this kind of posting is not okay.

Isn't Petty Bickering where a thread gets relocated so that people can argue out of everyone else's way?

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi

quote:
Originally posted by Eddylizard:
quote:

I have been told tales, UL'ish probably of strippers who would pick up coin tips from the corner of the patrons table using nothing more than something only women have and muscular dexterity.
Not that I would know or anything, but some of them can pickup quarters resting on a reclined patron's nose that way.

--------------------

What is .02 worth?

Doug4.7
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 16 posted      Profile for Doug4.7   E-mail Doug4.7   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Eddylizard:
quote:

Not that I would know or anything, but some of them can pickup quarters resting on a reclined patron's nose that way.
I gotta get out more.... [Eek!] [Confused]

--------------------
And now for something completely different...

Posts: 4164 | From: Alabama | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:

quote:
I'm sorry that you can only think of yourself and your future employment when you go on a public forum, hurl an insult based on an ethnic and religious stereotype, and then hope that no one will see it.
And I'm sorry that you thought you could accuse me of being racist, being a religious bigot, and participating in a "holy war" against anyone and everyone with faith, and then just walk away as if nothing had happened.
I'm sorry, but that is an unfair accusation. Mike did not "walk away as if nothing had happened." He was away on business for the weeks following that discussion. He had limited internet access and was working 12-18 hour days. He did not have time for personal internet use.

And he is in a similar situation today which is probably why he won't respond, although I really hope he will be the bigger person and just let it go.

I will say it again-- there was incivility on both sides of this debate in the thread which is under discussion. I know you and I have made amends, trollface, but you did actually make me cry at one point. This is not the hallmark of a civil or rational discussion.

You cannot come in and claim that you were all sweetness and light. Neither of you can. And to continue to drag this out publically, rather than taking it to PM and actually talk out your differences, (as you did with me, and for which I am grateful) implies that you are getting something out of this public squabbling.

That's it. I am turning the car around now and there will be spankings when I get home.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseGirl:
[QB]I'm sorry, but that is an unfair accusation. Mike did not "walk away as if nothing had happened." He was away on business for the weeks following that discussion. He had limited internet access and was working 12-18 hour days. He did not have time for personal internet use.

That's as maybe, but he didn't return to the thread when he got back. He didn't provide the cites or the retraction he was asked for while he was still replying to the thread. And he has admitted in this thread that he had forgotten that he'd even made the accusations by the time that he did get back.

That certainly sounds to me as if he'd walked away as if nothing had happened. It certainly didn't seem to have much of an impact on him.

quote:
I will say it again-- there was incivility on both sides of this debate in the thread which is under discussion.
I have publicly admitted as much, and offered Mike my sincere apologies for this.

I feel that I was provoked first by his rude attitude, and he feels that he was provoked first by my rude attitude. I don't think there's anything constructive to be gained by going over that end of things.

I was rude and I was graceless, and I'm sorry that I was, to all concerned. There are things that were going on on my end of things that are partly to blame, but that's no excuse, really. I'd like to be able to make it up, but Mike has to be prepared to meet me halfway in this.

quote:
I know you and I have made amends, trollface, but you did actually make me cry at one point. This is not the hallmark of a civil or rational discussion.
I agree, and I can only apologise again.

quote:
And to continue to drag this out publically, rather than taking it to PM and actually talk out your differences, (as you did with me, and for which I am grateful) implies that you are getting something out of this public squabbling.
You didn't publicly accuse me of the kind of vile things that Mike did. Unfair and irresponsible accusations were made in public, and should be withdrawn in public, too.

If Mike can admit that maybe he misunderstood me and jumped off the deep end, then all will be well between us. I don't think that that's unreasonable, considering the things that he's said about me. And, if he can't then, I'm sorry, but I can't see that as being "the bigger man" in any way, shape or form.

quote:
That's it. I am turning the car around now and there will be spankings when I get home.
Ooohh, is that a promise?

--------------------

TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I'm sorry, but that is an unfair accusation. Mike did not "walk away as if nothing had happened." He was away on business for the weeks following that discussion. He had limited internet access and was working 12-18 hour days. He did not have time for personal internet use.

That's as maybe, but he didn't return to the thread when he got back. He didn't provide the cites or the retraction he was asked for while he was still replying to the thread. And he has admitted in this thread that he had forgotten that he'd even made the accusations by the time that he did get back.
To be fair, the thread had died out by then. I am pretty sure that he so no point in reviving it.

Perhaps, maybe, if it was still bothering you at the time, that would have been when it would have been appropriate to take it to PM?

quote:
And to continue to drag this out publically, rather than taking it to PM and actually talk out your differences, (as you did with me, and for which I am grateful) implies that you are getting something out of this public squabbling.
You didn't publicly accuse me of the kind of vile things that Mike did. Unfair and irresponsible accusations were made in public, and should be withdrawn in public, too.[/quote]

I have also been the subject of unfair and public accusations. There was no apology forthcoming. Such is life on the boards from time to time.

quote:
And, if he can't then, I'm sorry, but I can't see that as being "the bigger man" in any way, shape or form.

I did say "bigger person". "Bigger man" gets into the TMI category. [Razz]

That said, it is clear that you are both upset about this. I know that you are both decent fellows. Can't you just talk this out amongst yourselves? I am pretty sure that you can come to some agreement.

Neither one of you is a big gross meanie. But I do sense a very male "I must have satisfaction" vibe coming from both of you. What is it to be gentlemen? Swords or pistols?

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
birdman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdman   E-mail birdman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy smack. Somehow I stopped getting e-mail notifications of replies to this thread, so I'm just now catching up.

I didn't mean my last post to imply I was leaving snopes, just that I don't come here as regularly as I did in years past. I've posted to some other threads in the past few days too, without incident.

Hero_Mike's post caught me off guard simply because, as far as I was concerned, I had already conceded 'defeat' in this thread and admitted that I was overly zealous about defending the dollar bill. I in no way intended my posts to come off as "arrogant" or any such snooty Americanism, so I apologize if I did give that impression.

It was not my intention to claim that American currency was superior to all others, or even that we shouldn't switch to dollar coins; since others were talking about the negative aspects of bills and positives of coins, I wanted to point out the converse as well. If I did a poor job of making this point, I apologize. I learned a lot in this thread, even something as simple as British wallets having coin pouches.

As for my story being ULish, I didn't think it was an anecdote that necessitated further verification. I'm not some anonymous troll here. But had I been asked for further details, I would have gladly given them. We went to Toronto the last weekend of April 2005 to see the musical Wicked at the Canon Theatre. We stayed at the Delta Chelsea. It rained the entire weekend -- oops! there I go exaggerating again; it only rained most of the weekend. I was surprised to see that every place we went accepted American currency, so I didn't have to exchange any money. The only catch was that I'd get Canadian currency in return, so I came home with a bagful of coinage that amounted to about CAN$10. I still have this bag of change in my car since we'll probably make a trip up to Canada's Wonderland next summer (I got the Cedar Fair Maxx Pass). If you'd like to hear more about our trip, you can check out my blog post from April 24th, 2005.

As I said, I made a mistake, and was basing my "the toonie is HUGE!" comment on a misremembrance. And my apology for the time-wasting is in regard to that: many people responded because of my incorrect claim, and we could've all saved our fingers the unnecessary typing if I had simply done a bit of fact-checking before posting.

-birdman

Posts: 1104 | From: near Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Nick Theodorakis
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Theodorakis   E-mail Nick Theodorakis   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Excuse me, birdman but why are you going on about currency? This is the thread where we discuss the fight between trollface and Hero_Mike. [Wink]

Nick

--------------------
Don't forget to register for the New ULMB.

Announcement here

Posts: 1089 | From: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
To be fair, the thread had died out by then. I am pretty sure that he so no point in reviving it.

He said he didn't even remember what he had said. But, anyway, this is a conversation I should be having with him.

quote:
I have also been the subject of unfair and public accusations. There was no apology forthcoming. Such is life on the boards from time to time.
True, but we are different people. And, I suppose, in part, it depends on how much Mike cares whether I think of him as a reasonable person or not. What I'm asking is not unreasonable. I don't think that an admission of fallibility on his part would cause the world to explode. It would certainly go a long way towards making it nicer, from my perspective.

quote:
I am pretty sure that you can come to some agreement.
I hope so, too.

quote:
But I do sense a very male "I must have satisfaction" vibe coming from both of you. What is it to be gentlemen? Swords or pistols?
Kung-fu, every time.

--------------------

TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

quote:
quote:

He said he didn't even remember what he had said. But, anyway, this is a conversation I should be having with him.

Why yes, you should.

quote:
And, I suppose, in part, it depends on how much Mike cares whether I think of him as a reasonable person or not. What I'm asking is not unreasonable. I don't think that an admission of fallibility on his part would cause the world to explode. It would certainly go a long way towards making it nicer, from my perspective.
There is plenty of posturing all around. Which is why you should sort it out between yourselves, in private where no-one "loses face". Which is what this seems to have become about for both of you.

Although part of me is very amused to see you acting like "typical males"? When the I know that you are actually both rather SNAGy.(Hey- I figure there has been enough crude objectifying of women on this thread, turnabout should be fair play).

--------------------

GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
(Hey- I figure there has been enough crude objectifying of women on this thread, turnabout should be fair play).

There is never enough crude objectifying of women you hot hunk of mega-brain you.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
There is plenty of posturing all around. Which is why you should sort it out between yourselves, in private where no-one "loses face". Which is what this seems to have become about for both of you.

It's not about "losing face", it's about setting right things that were wrong, in the forum in which they were made wrong. If I were concerned about "losing face", would I have apologised already? Would I have admitted my culpability in this conflict? It's not like I'm asking him to do anything that I haven't done myself. All I'm asking at this point is to be met halfway.

An apology costs nothing. And an admission of fallibility is nothing but an admission to being human, just like everybody else.

Besides I, personally, think that you lose more face, and more faith and goodwill by not apologising when you know you've wronged someone. Mike may feel differently. I'm certainly not going to pre-judge his reaction, but I think it'd be a sad turn of events if he does.

quote:
Although part of me is very amused to see you acting like "typical males"? When the I know that you are actually both rather SNAGy.(Hey- I figure there has been enough crude objectifying of women on this thread, turnabout should be fair play).
I'm nothing if not a conundrum of contradictions.

--------------------

TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
quote:
(Hey- I figure there has been enough crude objectifying of women on this thread, turnabout should be fair play).

There is never enough crude objectifying of women you hot hunk of mega-brain you.
And this is why I have such a fondness for snopes males. I cannot think of anywhere else on earth I would get such a compliment! [lol]

--------------------

Silkenreindeer
Wassaleing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silkenreindeer   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Phooaaar, look at the neurons on that bird!
Posts: 494 | From: Epping, Essex, UK | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
trollface, I have carefully considered your demand for an apology, and how you've bided your time to hijack this thread, berate me, and persist long past the point where good sense should have prevailed, pressing the issue in an overbearing way.

That said, I have nothing more to say to you on the matter. You will have to be satisfied with that.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Shame.

You know, over the last few days, I've come to realise what I should have realised long since - that this is not my problem, it's yours. I genuinely hope that one day you'll get to a place where you'll be able to talk about the subject in a calm and rational manner, and where you'll learn that a bit of humility and being able to back down a little isn't a sign of weakness, it's a sign of strength.

Religion is supposed to be a source of joy, not hate. It's a shame that that doesn't seem to be the case with you. I hope you manage to find peace in the matter.

--------------------

Lady Mariassa
Fighting Irish Stew

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Mariassa   E-mail Lady Mariassa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
you know -- back to the subject of coins vs bills--- I have a thought that has not been brought up in any of your posts (and if it has, I'm sorry I missed it)

What about the street fair/carnival workers? I belong to a group that does a once a year fundraiser. (banks are closed when the fair starts) It involves selling a LOT of $1.00 items.

Among our group there is usually $100 or more in any given pocket. In One Dollar bills.

Plus what we start out the night with. Last year I do believe it was $300.00 in $1.00 bills.

Brings new meaning to what you were talking about coins loading pockets down, right?

And while yes, we do have a cash drawer, it is not really smart to leave that much cash in the open. So we wear most of it during the night.

Mariassa

Posts: 4 | From: New Bremen, Ohio | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Street sellers tend to have a coin-pouch around their waist. I don't think £100 in coins is that heavy, but coins wouldn't necessarily accumulate anyway - some people will pay with notes and get coins in change. In the US, some people presumably already pay with bills larger than $1 and get dollar bills in change?

They certainly manage somehow at least.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
An English 1 pound coin weighs 9.5g, so 100 of them weigh 950g, or just over 2 pounds.

An English 2 pound coin weighs 12g, so 50 of these (for 100 pounds in currency) weighs only 600g, or 1 lb. 5 oz.

--------------------

Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Which would be a lot in your pocket, but not much in a pouch around your waist.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lady Mariassa
Fighting Irish Stew

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Mariassa   E-mail Lady Mariassa   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The festival that we do is just for non profit groups in the area and they have a rule that nothing can cost over $5.00 so most people come with the intention of spending in $1.00 amounts so we end up with a mega roll of $1.00 bills at the end of the night (like 400 of them)

And yes, we do use pouches to contain money, and even they get heavy with 25 cent pieces.

Oh well - we can always use them for crime deterent - STOP or I'll hit you with my purse. Of course that might get you for assult with a deadly weapon.

Posts: 4 | From: New Bremen, Ohio | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Barbara
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Barbara   Author's Homepage   E-mail Barbara   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Isn't Petty Bickering where a thread gets relocated so that people can argue out of everyone else's way?

Nope, it's the podium beside the teacher's desk where miscreants in their dunce caps get to stand and red-facedly look straight at the class for the rest of the period.

Barbara "nice hats, you two" Mikkelson

Posts: 2511 | From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Barbara, for the most ROFL-ish mental image I've had in at least three months.

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages