snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Petty Bickering » US Mint pushes new $1 coin (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: US Mint pushes new $1 coin
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by birdman:
The coin I'm thinking of was at least an inch and a half in diameter (larger than the old Eisenhower dollars) and had the same type of gold-in-silver feature. I'm not sure what coin I'm confusing it with.

The twonie is the only coin we have in circulation that's gold-in-silver. Anything else you saw like that or anything that large would have been a special collector's coin which aren't regular circulating currency.

quote:
I take back everything I said in this thread....
Sorry to have wasted everyone's time (and I don't mean that sarcastically).

Aw, don't be like that. You didn't waste anyone's time. Did you gain anything from this thread? Because I'm sure most of us who participated did. That's never a waste of anyone's time.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Edited, now that I've had time to look into it

It just so happens that I still have a bag of Canadian coins in my car, so I checked it out: the toonie isn't what I remembered. You're right, it's about the size of a quarter. The coin I'm thinking of was at least an inch and a half in diameter (larger than the old Eisenhower dollars) and had the same type of gold-in-silver feature. I'm not sure what coin I'm confusing it with.

So there you have it. Once again, I've posted something in haste based on a misunderstanding. But don't worry, folks; I only do this once every three months, after I'm reminded why I rarely post here anymore. [Wink] I take back everything I said in this thread.

Except for the bit about selling WhatchamaWallets with change pouches. Sorry to have wasted everyone's time (and I don't mean that sarcastically).

-birdman

As Jenn mentioned, there is no such coin in normal circulation. However, the Canadian "silver dollar" - which is the old $1 coin usually limited to collections - is about 1.42 inches in diameter, and the current "proof" version is indeed silver with selective gold plating. (I'm looking at one right now - behind plastic in a collector's set from the Royal Canadian Mint. Such a coin - well over an inch in diameter and slightly thicker than a normal coin - is not in normal circulation, and you would not receive it in change "by mistake" anywhere. This coin sells for about $40 CDN on its own - far more than its $1 face value.

Depending on where and when you happened to be in Canada, you may have received some sort of local "token coin" which was part of a short-lived celebration or event. But it certainly wasn't legal tender.

Sorry to have dissuaded you from posting here, but if you're going to make unsubstantiated, exaggerated, ridiculous and/or insulting claims, you should expect people to point this out to you. That's the appeal of an "urban legends" forum - a lot of the people here like to deal in facts - and substantiated facts at that.

In fact, the way you tell your story sounds very much like an urban legend - you went to Canada (I don't recall if you said where or when, but I doubt you gave details), you got change in coins, the coins were *huge*, they caused you much grief to carry them around, and yet you conveniently left them behind - not even being certain of their value. Sounds to me like something that never really happened in the first place - but just a "story" to illustrate the inherent inferiority of using coins for - *gasp* - $1 and $2 currency.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, please don't leave, birdman. I still remember you from way back, and miss seeing you around.

And, hey, you got off lightly. Last time Hero_Mike spoke to me it was to call me a racist and to tell me that my dead Grandmother would be ashamed of me. He then refused to back any of it up, despite being on an "urban legends" forum where the appeal is people dealing with substantiated facts.

The problem's with him, not you.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Is the American tipping culture behind the desire not to move to coinage for the smaller denominations? I know that whenever I visit the US, I keep a batch of one dollar bills (I often use a few) to tip porters/barstaff/cab drivers etc.
A coin would seem like cheapskating.

In Europe where tipping is mainly the preserve in restaurants, coins for 1's & 2 euro are treated with the same disdain as the cent coins; ie. heavy baggage in purses/wallets, and used only when you've got a half dozen or so.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
Last time Hero_Mike spoke to me it was to call me a racist and to tell me that my dead Grandmother would be ashamed of me. He then refused to back any of it up, despite being on an "urban legends" forum where the appeal is people dealing with substantiated facts.

The problem's with him, not you.

Problem?

Maybe you should stick to the subject at hand - a person posted an outrageous statement which was soundly and thoroughly disproved when the facts were presented.

Yes, I remember your posts. I was deeply offended by your slur that amoral criminals - murdering, thieving organized-crime gangsters in particular - as being exclusively Catholic (and Italian to boot). I continue to be offended by this. And if you said this and actually believe, it, then yes, I think you are racist.

There's no "fact" to this. My opinion is that you are a racist. If it is true that your grandmother was Catholic (or Italian - I forget which), then yes, she should be ashamed of you for being a racist. I certainly would be.

I find it petty - no - I find it cowardly - that you take this opportunity to defend a poster who has faced my criticism - only to insult me. Don't use their plight as a crutch - if you want to make war against me, I think I present a big enough target. Or do you prefer to play the hero and come to the defense of someone that big, bad Mike has chosen to "pick on"?

And really, I'd like you to explain how you would have refuted birdman's claims. Somehow my 35 years of living in Canada and I've missed out on these "huge" coins. Maybe that's why I still have to work for a living. I somehow don't believe any of it - the story has more holes than a sieve, and it gets worse by the minute.

I believe there's a term for carrying grudges and re-introducing them while following a person from thread to thread. If there isn't, it should be called "stalking", and it is deplorable. You managed to post here and add nothing to the discussion. What do you want me to say - "Good for you, trollface!"

I've been warned about arguing with you because you are one of the "cool kids" here - and there are those among us here who should not be trifled with because of their popularity. Somehow, I fail to be intimidated by that, because it doesn't matter who you are - you can't get away with insulting generalizations and not be called for what you are. But I digress.

Don't make flimsy excuses of support and heroism just to create an opportunity to insult me.

And yes, I was offended and remain offended by your generalizations about gangsters and Catholics. Very much so. You may think that it is okay to bash Catholics, and that we'll just roll over and take it because we're used to it. Sorry, but I'm not like that.

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jw:
Is the American tipping culture behind the desire not to move to coinage for the smaller denominations? I know that whenever I visit the US, I keep a batch of one dollar bills (I often use a few) to tip porters/barstaff/cab drivers etc.
A coin would seem like cheapskating.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that tips are more generously given because of that. However, I do believe the perception changes as people become used to it. I expect when we first made the switch it was strange, but it has become normal. As well, I think it's easier to tip with coins as I don't have to dig as far into my wallet to get at them, and it's even less work if the coins are in my pocket.

Loonies and twonies as tips don't feel like I'm stiffing anyone, but the idea of leaving a tip of bills would seem like an outrageously high amount (at least at the kind of places I eat at).

--------------------

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hero_Mike:
Yes, I remember your posts. I was deeply offended by your slur that amoral criminals - murdering, thieving organized-crime gangsters in particular - as being exclusively Catholic (and Italian to boot). I continue to be offended by this. And if you said this and actually believe, it, then yes, I think you are racist.

I don't want to derail this thread but, yes, that's what you accused me of, with no basis, and then refused to back up your claims when repeatedly asked to do so.

If you truly believe what you've said in this thread about substantiated facts, then you will go back to the other thread and back up the claims that you made. If I've said the things that you've claimed I have, then you should have no problem quoting me saying them. If not, then you can apologise and retract them.

quote:
I find it petty - no - I find it cowardly - that you take this opportunity to defend a poster who has faced my criticism - only to insult me.
That's funny, cowardly was exactly the word I thought of when you refused to back up your claims and instead ran from the thread.

quote:
And really, I'd like you to explain how you would have refuted birdman's claims.
Politely.

birdman is one of many old-time posters who have all but left the boards because they are no longer friendly. It's people like you that make it such a place. I happen to know that birdman is an intelligent, thoughtful and witty person.

It's not what you and people like you have to say that drives people like him away, it's how you say it. And, trust me, the board is a worse place for their absence.

quote:
I've been warned about arguing with you because you are one of the "cool kids" here - and there are those among us here who should not be trifled with because of their popularity.
I don't speak for others, and I don't let others speak for me. I am certainly far from some untouchable who cannot be argued with, and have had some rollicking ones in my time here with very respected posters, up to and including both of our generous hosts.

What I object to is being called unfounded names, and the person doing so refusing to substantiate their claims.

I'll wait, no doubt in vain, for your reply in the other thread. But let it be known that until you either substantiate your claims, or retract them and apologise for them, that this is not, nor will it ever be, over.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Ran from the thread"? I'm sorry trollface, but I'll just put my employer, my clients, and my career aside as I take the time to insult you.

Now listen - I think I only need to say this once. I called you a racist - I quite clearly spelled it out that it was because you made a derogatory slur against Catholics - me being one of them - with your broad-brush belief that because television portrays murdering gangsters as church-going, hypocritical, Italian Catholics.

I'm insulted by this. I happen to be Catholic, and neither a murderer nor a gangster. I need make no apologies for this. Nor do I need to apologize for feeling insulted.

And I think I've explained to you my exact and precise belief in your intolerant and racist attitude. I use the word "racist" here in a broad definition - since I don't happen to know of a better or more specific term in common use, which describes a person who is intolerant and insulting to people of a certain religion. Maybe "bigot" would have been a better choice. In either case, the sentiment should be the same.

Is that clear to you - or do I need to use smaller words? You were very clear in your broad-brush insult that television taught you that all gangsters were hypocritical Italian Catholics.

I have a good enough memory of the other thread, and since I seem to have your attention here, no use in derailing two threads.

I certainly won't apologize to you.

Now, if you really want to get into it, please tell me about the "people like me" who are making the boards unfriendly. If you tell me that people in your neighbourhood are in danger of being burned at the stake because they are, for example, openly gay, then I'd like a cite. Because it is a preposterous claim. And who are the "people like me"? Let's name names and point fingers, now that you've made this claim. I guess I'd better be careful when I say "Cite, please!", even though I said "please", because I should keep the board friendly for intelligent, thoughtful, and witty people.

If that is all that you are looking for - and I say this without any sarcasm - then perhaps you should look elsewhere. The people I have met on snopes are indeed, as you say, intelligent, thoughftul, and witty. But as opinionated and even argumentative as they may be, the vast majority of them have a love of the truth. They pursue truth in life in various ways - for the most part, looking for statements of fact in argument. It's one thing to be witty, but if you say that you came to Canada and received some huge, fictitious coins as change, then you lose *all* credibility.

You let the cat out of the bag with your broad-brush insults. You got called a racist. Then you patiently waited for the last two months, until I got back to the boards with any kind of regularity. And I fear that you will continue to stalk me. This is what makes the boards unfriendly. This is what turns it into a personal vendetta. This is what would drive people away. But you'll have to try harder than that.

Trollface, you are indeed a small man.

--------------------

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Now listen - I think I only need to say this once. I called you a racist - I quite clearly spelled it out that it was because you made a derogatory slur against Catholics - me being one of them - with your broad-brush belief that because television portrays murdering gangsters as church-going, hypocritical, Italian Catholics.

Yes, this is the claim that you made. Now, go back to that other thread and substantiate it by quoting me. All my posts are there in that thread. If you feel this conversation should continue here, rather than there, then you can paste the quotes into this thread, if you like. Or you can start a thread entitled "trollface is a racist, and here's the evidence that proves it", if you like. But you don't get to say something like that and not back it up.

It's a slightly bigger thing to claim than that a Canadian coin is slightly larger than it actually is. And, until you're prepared to back up what you've claimed, then anything and everything that you say about caring about claims being substantiated, or getting to the truth of matters is self-evidently a load of hogwash.

quote:
Now, if you really want to get into it, please tell me about the "people like me" who are making the boards unfriendly.
Impolite, overly aggressive, you know, that kind of thing. Like responding to someone's genuine, calmly-stated mistake by saying:

quote:
Exaggeration to make your point is just an example of how arrogant and condescending you are about Canadian currency, or rather, anything that isn't American currency. Bully for you - you don't like it - but you make it sound like your pants had fallen down to your ankles by the sheer weight of the coins you had.

Honestly, if they were that obtrusive, you would have sought to spend them at each and every opportunity. That said, you probably just forgot about it, and are upset that you forgot your money. Too bad - next time you may learn to be smarter. Sour grapes, and nothing more.

Is this polite to your mind? Is it civil? Because it's not from where I'm sitting.

Incidentally, have you read the FAQ for this board? You might want to take note of this one:

quote:
The primary rule of this board is for members to act civilly towards each other.

--------------------

Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Edited.

Regarding the OP, I regularly have to use different currencies, and I don't really have any issues with notes or coins. I think on balance I do prefer low denomination notes, but not enough to want the central bank to waste money on them if they can do better with coins.

Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Damian
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Damian   E-mail Damian   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's get this pony back on the track.

We have had $1 and $2 coins in Australia for nearly 20 years. $1 coins are 25 mm in diameter and weigh 9 gms. $2 coins are 20.5mm in diameter and weigh 6.6 gms.

At the end of some days, I empty my wallet of coins and get pleasantly surprised that I have up to $20 in coin.

--------------------
"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie." - Tony Montana

Posts: 890 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
Incidentally, have you read the FAQ for this board? You might want to take note of this one:

quote:
The primary rule of this board is for members to act civilly towards each other.

Apparently that doesn't apply to people who have been fed a steady stream of "Godfather" movies and "The Sopranos".

Hyperbole and exaggeration - especially when someone is referring to a *personal anecdote* - is not a good way to endear yourself to me, or, I would say in general, the people on this board. This is how urban legends and mistruths all start.

You keep asking me to quote your comments - quote them yourself if they are still there. I stand by my statement that I found it offensive.

However, in my opinion, your generalized comment about Catholics and gangsters is equivalent to making some comparison with the portrayal of all lawyers being lying and unscrupulous, and also being Jewish. You wouldn't be able to get away with that, however, comments about Catholics tend to fall under the radar screen. Mostly because there is a lot of criticism that can be heaped upon the Catholic church, its hierarchy, and its leaders. But having an issue with church policy is far different than implying that Catholics are hypocrites because gangsters are portrayed as being Italian Catholics (maybe even practicing and church-going ones at that).

It's fairly well known that you are an atheist, and you seem to be, from my recollection - and I may be wrong about this, that you are a "strong" atheist - one who does not merely say that "I don't believe in God myself, but you can believe what you like", but rather, "There are no Gods - period.", and with that the extended implication that anyone who believes in God, Peter Pan, Frankenstein, or Superman, is unintelligent and mentally deficient. (And with it, the self-serving feeling that you are, in your ways, somehow superior.) I find this to be greatly intolerant and, to a large extent, bigoted. It was in one of these threads where you managed to hurl insults because I happen to disagree with you.

I'm not sorry for what I said. I'm quite sure that I'm not misunderstanding you. And I don't believe for a millisecond that your intent was anything but to be insulting and inflammatory. You cast the first stone, and you've hijacked a whole thread to continue to vent your anger. I suppose I should be flattered.

I leave it to you to prove that I was in any way impatient and the least bit "uncivil" with you, until you chose to be insulting.

Otherwise, I think I'm done with this, however, I will make the fearless prediction that it is only a matter of time before you stalk me to another thread. I've just recently returned after some long stints away from home, and in turn, the boards, and I've been quite active the last two days. I'm sure you will have plenty of opportunities, and I doubt that you will disappoint.

Dude, you waited 2 months to get back at me. Do you think you could find a more productive use for all that pent-up anger?

--------------------

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
You keep asking me to quote your comments - quote them yourself if they are still there.

I could, except that I didn't say what you claim that I did.

quote:
It's fairly well known that you are an atheist, and you seem to be, from my recollection - [b]and I may be wrong about this[b], that you are a "strong" atheist - one who does not merely say that "I don't believe in God myself, but you can believe what you like", but rather, "There are no Gods - period.", and with that the extended implication that anyone who believes in God, Peter Pan, Frankenstein, or Superman, is unintelligent and mentally deficient. (And with it, the self-serving feeling that you are, in your ways, somehow superior.) I find this to be greatly intolerant and, to a large extent, bigoted. It was in one of these threads where you managed to hurl insults because I happen to disagree with you.
Ah, and this is you relying on substantiated facts, is it?

quote:
Otherwise, I think I'm done with this, however, I will make the fearless prediction that it is only a matter of time before you stalk me to another thread.
Could that be because I've explicitly said that this is not over and will not be over until you either substantiate your claims, or retract them and apologise? Hardly much of a prediction to say that I'm not going to let go of something that I've said that I'm not going to let go of. You made some very heavy accusations about me, and you don't just get to say stuff like that and then run away like nothing happened. You have seriously impugned my character, and you should at least have the decency to back up such major accusations.

You have the power to make it stop. All you have to do is...back up the claims that you've made. Substantiate them. Provide evidence for them. You, know, the exact things that you say that you're so in favour of that you cannot even be polite to those who don't provide evidence for their claims.

Your constant refusal to do so merely indicates that you, in fact, know that your claims are groundless.

--------------------

Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It just so happens that I still have a bag of Canadian coins in my car, so I checked it out: the toonie isn't what I remembered. You're right, it's about the size of a quarter. The coin I'm thinking of was at least an inch and a half in diameter (larger than the old Eisenhower dollars) and had the same type of gold-in-silver feature. I'm not sure what coin I'm confusing it with.

The UK £2 coin is the biggest and chunkiest coin I know of - could it be one of those? I think it's thicker than the Canadian toonie but it's only an inch or so in diameter so not that much larger. (I can't find the dimensions and haven't got one to measure).

One of the reasons I like UK £1 and £2 coins is that they're quite thick and heavy compared to others. It makes them feel more valuable, and more like "proper" money.

Everybody thinks that foreign currencies look like toy money, I think. I guess it's because, when you're familiar with a currency, you forget that the cash is just tokens and IOUs. When you see an unfamiliar note, you think "People take that in exchange for goods and services?! It's just a bit of paper!"

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I was a bit confused, as well. I used to live near the Canadian border and crossed quite frequently (the only decent Chinese restaurant within 50 miles was in Cornwall, as it happened). I didn't recall any particularly large coins.

Richard is quite right about the toy money aspects. And added is the differences in exchange rates. I use to find it amusing going to Canada handing over my US currency at the exchange and getting a whole bunch more money back. I am afraid I amused myself by being rather unfunny and saying "Cool! Can we do that again?" Like the exchange folks had never heard that one before. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Trollface and Hero_Mike: Do you really think this is an appropriate place to hash out your problems from past discussions with each other? I'm of the opinion that if you two really need to do this it really ought to be done privately. That most posters have been ignoring you two (which I applaud) says to me that either no one else really cares or they all know better than to get involved in a personal matter between snopesters. I bet most of us are a little of column A and a little of column B.

If either of you are waiting for other people to come in and start a pile-on, I think (and hope) you'll be waiting a long time. This is between the two of you, so please keep it between the two of you.

--------------------

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
Trollface and Hero_Mike: Do you really think this is an appropriate place to hash out your problems from past discussions with each other?

Actually, yes. Mike has publicly accused me of many ugly things, including being a racist, a religiously intolerant bigot, and of participating in a "holy war" against those who are religious. I don't think it unreasonable that such accusations, made in public, should be either backed up or retracted in public. It is, after all, not hard to have my name connected to these accusations via a simple google search.

Like you, I'm glad that other people have stayed out of it. I am not the slightest bit interested in other people commenting on the subject. What I am interested in is having a retraction of these defamatory statements on record.

--------------------

Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

You know, trollface, I don't disagree with you. However, I don't feel that hashing it out in public like this is appropriate at this point. You've said what you needed to say in public and it's here for everyone to read. I doubt either of you have anything truly new to add and this is only going to go in circles and escalate into flames. I'm sure people have already drawn their own conclusions about how they feel on the issue. The longer this goes on in public, the greater the chances of people vocally taking sides. Anyone finding his accusations via a simple google search will also find your defense. For now the public purpose has been served as well as it's going to be.

It's time to take your debate to private message or email. Work it out there if you can. If you manage to convince Mike to retract and apologize (something I've never seen him do for anyone over anything), he is invited to start a thread to do so.

--------------------

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

I work for a charity that's heavily involved with racial and religious integration and I work closely with people of different religious and ethnic backgrounds. I may possibly be moving to a similar job elsewhere. These comments could cost me my job, or prevent me from getting another one.

I feel that starting a new thread just to retract these statements would probably be seen as even more of a loss of face by Mike than a simple retraction, and doing it in an already existing thread where it can be gone and forgotten seems like a more reasonable ask. But getting that retraction is important.

--------------------

GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
(Sorry Jenn)

A) Your prospective employer can read the thread and see for hirself if the charges are valid.
B) Any employer that would make a hiring decision based on an anonymous internet message board accusation is a moron.
C) If you are so concerned about this, edit your profile so it only has your first name, making it harder for an employer to Google you.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Originally posted by GenYus:
A) Your prospective employer can read the thread and see for hirself if the charges are valid.

Or they could not wade through the entire 6-page thread and just take what came up on google.

quote:
B) Any employer that would make a hiring decision based on an anonymous internet message board accusation is a moron.
Which would be a great comfort to me in the dole queue.

quote:
C) If you are so concerned about this, edit your profile so it only has your first name, making it harder for an employer to Google you.
I've been on the internet for a long time. My username is a real-life nickname, that I've had for years. You'll find plenty of stuff online linking my real name to my nickname, not least through mentions of my band. Editing my profile won't change this.

I don't think that it's the greatest possibility in the world, but I work in a sensitive area, where it doesn't take much to get people dismissed. All it takes is the wrong person at head office to read it, and I'm jobless. When it comes to getting a new job, I'll be asked "why did you leave your last employment?". It's certainly not an impossible set of circumstances.

--------------------

Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps you shouldn't be increasing the frequency of the discussion then.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Oh, maybe you're right. The damage is done, and I seriously doubt whether Mike would care about harm done to me through his actions. He can hold his irrational opinions and fool himself that they're rational, should he so wish.

And I'll just hope that I don't get bitten in the arse because he's got an axe to grind, and can't be bothered to actually read people's posts before going off the deep end, or to discuss things rationally after having done so.

--------------------

GenYus
Away in a Manager's Special

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GenYus   E-mail GenYus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
ETRemove unhelpfully snarky smilie.

--------------------
IIRC, it wasn't the shoe bomber's loud prayers that sparked the takedown by the other passengers; it was that he was trying to light his shoe on fire. Very, very different. Canuckistan

Posts: 3694 | From: Arizona | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mama Duck
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mama Duck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Look, trollface, Mike has never apologized to my knowledge. So you're going ot have to let that one go. Anyone else that has spent time with you knows you are not racist or bigoted. So you'll just have to console yourself with that.

--------------------
There is no interpersonal problem so big that it can't be solved with a suitably large amount of high explosives. ~ Bufungla

Posts: 3562 | From: South Texas | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TurquoiseGirl   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, look. Things got very heated over on the thread in question. I could see where Mike would take offense at what was said. No one was being particularly overly polite. There were some things said to me, intepretting things that are very important to me as some sort of hallucination or wishful thinking, that had I chosen, I could have taken as great insults.

Yes, what trollface said could be taken as racist or antireligious if one is senstive to those issues. Yes, Mike is apparentaly sensitive to those issues and reacted accordingly.

No one, not even you, were behaving rationally in the other thread, trollface. Although we have resolved our issues on this, I remember how it felt and, whether or not you intended it, some of the things you said could have been taken as being very unkind and smug indeed.

But I do not see what the purpose is of this being hashed out any farther. And quite honestly, having had accusations of similar magnitude thrown at me within the past day or so, I am not quite sure what the fuss is about. I doubt I am ever get an apology. And as the person who made the accusations has had more than one go at me, I am sure it will happen again.

You going on and on about this is not going to make Mike apologize. Of that I am certain, and I say that with no negative aspersions on his character. But bringing it up repeated is going to make people wonder why this matters to you so. And it is starting to seem petty.

And quite honestly, if you are that worried about what your employer will think, you really do need to watch what you say, not rely on your reputation to buffer you from the way people take your words.

FWIW, if you replaced "Jews" for "Catholics" in what you said, I think most people would have been all over you.

Now will the two of you shake hands forget about it or am I going to have to turn this car around and go home?

ETA: Also if your reputation as an all around decent fellow gets you out of responsibility for offense you have caused, the same applies to Mike. He is often the first to stand up for the rights of other people. And has a rather interesting habit of jumping in when he feels other people are being bullied.

You are, both of you, nice blokes. This is why it is very disppointing for me to see this getting dragged out again and again. Let it go. For the Goddess's sake (whom neither one of you believe in, so she's fair game! [Razz] ), let. it. go.

--------------------
There are people who drive really nice cars who feel that [those] cars won't be as special if other people drive them too. Where I come from, we call those people "selfish self-satisfied gits." -Chloe

Posts: 6995 | From: New Mexico | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Without going back to the other thread - here is where it all started, with what I said about gangsters :

quote:
I see no scientific justification or proof that the "social contract" is best for any particular individual, because some succeed at living outside of it. It may be best for most people, or even for me, but how is it that some succeed in living outside of it? Who precisely? I'm thinking of, say successful criminals - think organized crime, who live in a society where they "cheat" on the social contract and do not, for example, treat other people nicely or respect their life or their property. They are in the minority, and while statistical science may tell me that I'm more likely to live a successful life if I stay within said social contract (rather than become a gangster and face the wrath of the law), there are people who live outside of it, and a small number of these, live rather well. If some of the reality-based fiction I read is in any way accurate, they live a lot better than I do.
To which, trollface replied :

quote:
Besides, as I pointed out above, you seem to be missing the glaringly blatant cases where immoral people can be religious (you discuss gangsters who would often be old-school Italian Catholics), or where their religion requires immoral acts (see above for bin Laden).
To which I replied :

quote:
By the way, trollface, nice of you to further the racist stereotype that all (or even most) gangsters in organized crime are Italian Catholics. I'd like to see some scientific data to back that up, if you don't mind. Where I live, organized crime is just as likely to be headed by non-religious biker gangs or Asians, so I'd suggest that you stick to facts, and not insult people.
No need to google, and really, trollface, you'll have to come up with a better excuse than worrying about what your employer may think. Perhaps the should also know that you waited two months to hijack a thread and stalk me until I said something that you could use as fodder. I wasn't talking to you or even about you here in this thread.

I leave it to you to explain perhaps why you choose to stereotype gangsters as Italian Catholics. Both of those generalizations are insulting. You chose to bring this up in a thread title "God vs. Science", where you are clearly against me and my support of religious belief. I'll leave it to you to prove that you didn't know that I was Catholic when you said this, because I've often made that claim, usually with some line like "I happen to be trained in the sciences, and Catholic, and no, I don't believe that the world is flat, nor do I believe that all you heathens/pagans/miscellaneous are going to hell." So yes, I believe you said it specifically to be insulting and inflammatory.

You chose to make this slur. You chose to bring this into the discussion. So maybe your memory is refreshed. And for someone who quoted the rule of conduct about being civil, I also remember in that thread being asked "who pissed in my cornflakes", because I didn't respond with proper respect and deference to you.

And even after being told to "take this private", you managed to post *four times*.

I'm sorry that you can only think of yourself and your future employment when you go on a public forum, hurl an insult based on an ethnic and religious stereotype, and then hope that no one will see it. To my Italian friends, who are moderately Catholic and definitely *not* gangsters, your comments are indeed "fightin' words".

Sorry to drag this out, but there is my "substantiation". I wish I had quoted your posts, or that someone else did, so they don't have to take my version of "cut and paste", but I just don't see the need to spend any more time on this.

Like I said, I predict that you won't let this go and you'll continue to stalk me from thread to thread until you are somehow satisfied. And that any explanation you provide for having meant no insult, is now tainted with your affirmed motivation that you don't want to appear "intolerant" because you are concerned about your employment. In other words, it can't be sincere.

You really are a very, very small person to make such a big deal over this.

--------------------

Rhiandmoi

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
What part of this isn't the place to discuss private problems do people not understand?

ETA: Wow, is this the fastest relocation to PB ever?

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

I really, really hope birdman isn't feeling responsible for this and that it doesn't drive him off.

Way to totally derail what had been an interesting and informative thread into bickering over personal grudges, guys. Good job.

--------------------

Canuckistan

Icon 102 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhiandmoi:
Wow, is this the fastest relocation to PB ever?

Nah. The first thread in this forum got here after a dozen posts or so.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 605 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Trying to get back on track ...

quote:
Originally posted by TurquoiseGirl:
I was a bit confused, as well. I used to live near the Canadian border and crossed quite frequently (the only decent Chinese restaurant within 50 miles was in Cornwall, as it happened). I didn't recall any particularly large coins.

That's because they're not. I remember when the twonie first came out, there were reports in the local news (TV; no cites -- sorry) that tailors were gearing up for a slew of pocket reinforcements. AFAIK, no one I know has needed their pockets reinforced.

quote:
Richard is quite right about the toy money aspects. And added is the differences in exchange rates. I use to find it amusing going to Canada handing over my US currency at the exchange and getting a whole bunch more money back. I am afraid I amused myself by being rather unfunny and saying "Cool! Can we do that again?" Like the exchange folks had never heard that one before. [Embarrassed]
I was quite excited once to give a bank in Italy $400 Canadian and receive 500,000 lira in return. That will be the only time there'll be half a million of anything in my wallet.

Much to my chagrin.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
TGirl postulates:
quote:

FWIW, if you replaced "Jews" for "Catholics" in what you said, I think most people would have been all over you.

You do know that there was a Jewish mafia don't you? IIRC there was one operating in New York and Chicago.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
TurquoiseGirl
The "Was on Sale" Song

I didn't know that. But the point was relating their religion to their crimial activity.

--------------------

Gibbie
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gibbie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Except it wasn't. And I don't know why you think it was. Look I didn't follow the thread but I did go googling for it after this one blew up. The whole point was that sometimes religious people do bad things. Some catholics are gangsters. Not all are. Nothing about them being Catholic makes them a gangster, just that being Catholic (or religious) didn't stop them from being it. There are bad people of all stripes. Period.

Gibbie

--------------------
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.

Posts: 3993 | From: Indiana | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
vanilla
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vanilla     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, if there are people who are so hung up on rehashing another thread in this one, perhaps they can take that argument back to the original thread and leave this one out of it?

--------------------
I swear, it was funnier in my head.
Yeah, I used to be pink. vanilla_pink.

Posts: 2493 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages