snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Petty Bickering » US Mint pushes new $1 coin (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: US Mint pushes new $1 coin
I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by E. Q. Taft:

As for the coins themselves: A friend of mine used to save her Susan B.'s and Sacagewas all year and take them in a pouch to spend at the RenFaire. It seemed to add a touch of versimilitude....

This is a fairly common practice at Rendezvous, too.

I kept finding them in my change purse, apparently mistaken for quarters.

--------------------
"You hold the Prince so I can duct tape his bottom to keep the bugs out." - My Mom

Posts: 193 | From: The Fabulous Finger Lakes, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
KatrinaDuck
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KatrinaDuck   E-mail KatrinaDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My question is this (please forgive me if I missed it):
We know that there's no inscription on the back of the coin, but what IS on the back? Would that change as well?

--------------------
It is, after all, the dab of grit that seeps into an oyster's shell that makes the pearl, not pearl-making seminars with other oysters. -Stephen King

Posts: 481 | From: North Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 24 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ULTRAGUPPY:
An additional plus would be if they could get folks to actually spend dollar coins. That would save even more money as they're more durable than bills.

I'm not sure your reasoning quite stands up; no, it doesn't cost a dollar to make a dollar coin, but I don't think that means that the government can be said to be meaningfully making a profit if people hoard them.

I must admit I'm not sure of that point because it's a bit esoteric, but your reasoning has to break down when you say that it's even better for the government if people do spend them. (I'm reading your comment as if you think that the government has some sort of cynical ulterior motive for introducing coins). You're right - in the long run it's less expensive to produce coins for that sort of denomination than it is to produce bills / notes. But that's a good thing.

Almost by definition, any expense involved in producing paper currency (beyond the minimum necessary for security) is surely wasted? It's been a long time since currency has actually been "worth" its face value, rather than "agreed to be worth" its face value - and coins are surely closer to "really being worth" their face value than notes are, because they contain metals rather than just paper and ink. Paper currency has always been a promissory note - it's never been meant to actually be "worth" its face amount.

I read your comments to mean that you were opposed to the idea of dollar coins replacing notes in general circulation. If not then I apologise for missing your point.

Actually, my point might not have been clear either. I think that it would probably be a good thing for the USA to replace paper dollars with coins - every other Western currency that I know of has coins for the equivalent amounts, and they were introduced because it was becoming too expensive to produce the paper currency compared to its face value. Assuming that's also the case in the USA then I can't see any advantages in keeping the paper currency other than the special interests that are mentioned in the wikipedia page. If the argument is that print jobs would be lost then it's almost literally "throwing money away".

I might be wrong because I've always found economics difficult to understand, and when it's dealing directly with the production and value of coinage / currency then it's even more abstract.

If your comments meant that it was actually good, rather than good in a cynical sense for the government, then I also apologise for misunderstanding. If you're being cynical then your additional point contradicts your first point.

(edited to add the drunken smiley. I was playing poker and drinking beer with colleagues, and I've had slightly too much beer to concentrate on working out monetary theory from first principles.)

(edited again for spelling)

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Elwood
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elwood   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Edit: apologies for the simul-post.

quote:
Originally posted by ULTRAGUPPY:
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
What's the point, then?

The point, I think, is that the US Mint wants us all to hoard coins. The US government has made millions out of people paying $0.25 for a quarter and then sticking it in a jar. It costs far less than $0.25 to make a quarter.

Same for dollar coins. It doesn't cost a dollar to make a dollar coin. So for everyone like my SO who will collect the things in jars and never spend them, it's money in the bank for the government.

An additional plus would be if they could get folks to actually spend dollar coins. That would save even more money as they're more durable than bills.

I don't think I'm following you here. It's a plus if people hoard coins but it's also a plus is we spend them? So far as I can figure, cash and coins only cost money to make. Using more durable coins wouldn't make a profit for the government so much as reduce cost. You're basically saying that the government makes money by making money, but it's not as if the government makes a $99.99 profit by printing a hundred-dollar bill. The government would have the most to gain by elimating currency altogether in favor of a cashless economy. If the government could somehow create money out of thin air simply by printing it, as you seem to suggest, their action would only lead to massive inflation.

I'm not sure that a quarter sitting in a jar or a collection can accurately be described as "out of circulation" either, since it is currency and could conceivably be spent at any time, the same as the cash in my wallet.

--------------------
"If I didn't see it and didn't know it was a real news report, I wouldn't believe it. I mean, how nutty can you get?"-Pat Robertson Oct 26, 2006.

Posts: 2936 | From: Mean Streets of West Virginia | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elwood:
Edit: apologies for the simul-post.

No problem - yours is shorter and clearer. I'm glad I wasn't the only person who thought Ultragotha wasn't making sense.
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jessboo
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessboo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of comments, including this one,

quote:
Originally posted by Spc. Sharki:
The only problem I have had with the Euro coins is that they way down your pockets if you carry too many and you can't really store them in your wallet easily. Other than that they are suprisingly handy.

have made me wonder- how many dollar bills do you carry round? Generally, I have a few pound coins and other change, and a couple of £5 or £10 pound notes in my purse. Like someone said, why would you carry $17 around in singles, anyway?

--------------------
Join me on Lost - www.lost.eu/edcf

Do you have any wine? All of this would go a lot smoother in an altered state of reality.

Posts: 779 | From: Southampton, England | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jessboo:
Like someone said, why would you carry $17 around in singles, anyway?

Well, I have done it before, but in my case I'll have to plead the fifth. [Razz]
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
One thing that occurred to me - it's a pain in the arse trying to light a cigar with a £1 coin. That added at least £4 a time to the cost of smoking in one go... (Not that I smoked many cigars at the age of 11. Or now, for that matter.)
SiKboy
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiKboy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Richard W:
One thing that occurred to me - it's a pain in the arse trying to light a cigar with a £1 coin. That added at least £4 a time to the cost of smoking in one go... (Not that I smoked many cigars at the age of 11. Or now, for that matter.)

Move to scotland, we still have pound notes. Wow, that sounds like a tourism scotland slogan... Actually, they annoy the hell out of me. If I get a couple of pound coins in change, I stick 'em in my pocket (or the coin bit of my wallet), and have a fair idea of how much I'm carrying. If I get a couple of pound notes, I stick them in my wallet, and always, always, always end up mistaking them for fivers, and thinking I have more money than I do. Its just the act of taking a note out of my wallet, and feeling that there is another note in there. I'd cheerfully abolish the pound note in favour of just using coins.

--------------------
This Space For Rent.

Posts: 210 | From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
birdman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdman   E-mail birdman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If you buy a few items at several different stores, you could easily end up with many small bills in your wallet. When I visited Toronto last year, every time I made a purchase (food, souvenirs, tickets) I'd end up with more and more coins. By the end of the day, I had all these twonies and loonies jangling around in my pocket and annoying the hell out of me. I left them in the hotel room simply so I didn't have to keep carrying them around. Unfortunately that meant I also couldn't spend them to get rid of them, but that's my own fault. I like having all my money flat and folded in one place, not noisily bouncing around in my pocket. If we do switch to dollar coins, I'd seriously consider carrying a change purse.

Like someone else said, I like being able to think in terms of "whole dollars = bills, fractions of bills = coins." I never carry change with me, because it's cumbersome. When I get home, I dump my change into a coin sorter. When I have a few rolls filled, I take them to the bank and exchange them for bills. Over the course of a year, this is only about $80.

It sounds like, from what small sample size we have here, that other countries have a lot more vending machines and coin-operated things than we do? People are talking about spending $2 coins in vending machines like it's an everyday thing. Or maybe you're talking about bigger cities with public transit turnstiles?

-birdman

Posts: 1104 | From: near Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This comment:

quote:
Originally posted by WildaBeast:
It took me a while to get out of the habit of reaching into my wallet rather than my pocket when I wanted to buy something like a soda*, but once I got used to it I found coins to be much better for that sort of small purchace.

...which I'm assuming actually has the words "wallet" and "pocket" reversed, as well as this one:

quote:
birdman said:
I like having all my money flat and folded in one place, not noisily bouncing around in my pocket.

...make me curious. Don't American wallets have a little pocket in them for coins?

My wallet basically comprises of 4 compartments. There's a group of 5 slits for credit/business cards on one side of the fold. There's a slit that goes all the way along the back for notes. There's a pocket that goes all the way along the back with a zip on it. I have no idea what that's for. And, on the other side of the fold from the card bit is a little pocket with a pop-fastener for coins.

Isn't that how most wallets are? If that's not the case in America, then I know how I'm making my fortune if they do withdraw the $1 bill.

quote:
birdman again:
If you buy a few items at several different stores, you could easily end up with many small bills in your wallet. When I visited Toronto last year, every time I made a purchase (food, souvenirs, tickets) I'd end up with more and more coins.

But why not use the coins to pay for things, too? If you're trying to buy something that costs £5 and you've got 5 £1 coins, why not use them instead of a fiver or a tenner or even larger note? Need to buy something that costs £7? Use a fiver and two nuggets. £14? A tenner and 4 nuggets. And so on.

Unless you're buying lots of expensive stuff that costs odd prices like £49 and you don't have anything smaller than £50 notes and don't have a cash or credit card, I can't think of many situations where you're going to be lumbered with 17 £1 coins and not be able to spend them instead of using a note.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Men's wallets aren't like that in Canada either, or at least most are not. No compartment for change even though we do have loonies ($1) and toonies ($2). Guys here tend to keep their change loose in their pocket. A guy with a little change purse would have to have loads of self confidence or not mind being considered a bit of a weenie.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Right, that's my first fortune sorted out, then...

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

On every visit to the US, tips seem to be paramount. Is it normal to tip with one dollar bills, rather than bigger denominations?
Somehow a coin would seem like less.
We've got one & two euro coins and after a night out my wallet purse is weighed down and the loose change jar grows apace.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
Men's wallets aren't like that in Canada either, or at least most are not. No compartment for change.

Most of the men's wallets I've seen here do have change compartments, but they're pretty useless ones. It's just an extra layer of whatever fabric the wallet is made of with a zipper, with no extra width to it. The man has to dump all of the change out into his hand to get at anything.

quote:
A guy with a little change purse would have to have loads of self confidence or not mind being considered a bit of a weenie.
With all of the stuff people carry around nowadays, I wonder when it will become socially acceptable for men to carry purses. Manly purses, of course ("It's a man's bag!"). Last year my dad was complaining about not having enough pockets to easily carry his keys cell phone, police scanner, notepad, glasses, and wallet. I tried to talk him into getting a small leather tote bag but he just griped "I'm not carrying some purse like a pansy." I tried to show him some totes that look like small briefcases and tell him that they're practical rather than effeminate but he would have none of it.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
birdman
We Three Blings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for birdman   E-mail birdman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I don't figure I would actually carry a change purse, although it did make me wonder what you lot do in other countries.

I guess I see this sort of scenario: I buy an $18 item, pay with $20, get a $2 coin in change. I go to another store, same thing, now I have two large coins to carry. I suppose, at the next store, should I again need an $18 item, I could give them 10 + 5 + 2 + 1, but it's unlikely I'll have all those bills; ATMs only give out twenties, so that's usually what I have. In my wallet right now, I have four twenties and six ones. The ones all came from getting change at stores.

In practice, I suppose the above scenario isn't all that likely since I pay with a debit or credit card whenever possible. I like to save the cash for places that don't take credit cards, such as parking garages, or restaurants that won't let my friends and I have separate checks.

-birdman

Posts: 1104 | From: near Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
birdman
We Three Blings

Icon 605 posted      Profile for birdman   E-mail birdman   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After thinking about it some more, here is what I do: Because I use a credit or debit card for anything over $10 if possible, I like to have smaller bills on hand for smaller purchases. Hence, ones are my most-frequently used currency. Even if I already have a few ones in my wallet, I'll spend a twenty (from the ATM) so I can get some smaller bills back.

Under the dollar-coin or $2-coin system, my most-frequently-used currency is no longer a few thin slips of paper, but a bunch of coins. If I want to have smaller currency on hand, I have to carry coins.

A friend of mine said he's seen aluminum coins, which were much lighter and just as durable. I don't think I'd mind that as much. It really is the weight and noise of coins that bothers me. I guess if they're zipped up in a little wallet pouch that's not so bad, but how much can you fit in there?

-birdman

Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I spent 3 weeks in Norway visiting family. I thought the coins would be a problem there. They use 1/2, 1, 5, 10 and 20 crown coins. I was suprised to find that I never had a lot of them in my pocket at any one time. I was spending them faster than the large bills.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
After looking at this thread and the potential problems that the $1 coin and/or bill bring with them, I propose the following solution:

I say don't stop with getting rid of the penny, just get rid of the entire $1 denomination! Round it to the nearest $5! I see no potential problems whatsoever with my plan.

Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jenn
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenn   E-mail Jenn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by birdman:
Yeah, I don't figure I would actually carry a change purse, although it did make me wonder what you lot do in other countries.

Go to Tim Hortons for coffee and a donut and pay with the coins.

--------------------
"You're the opposite of troll. It's a compliment!"

Posts: 12086 | From: Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Dropbear
Angels from the Realms so Glurgy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dropbear     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

We have $1 and $2 coins with the $2 being smaller but slightly thicker than the $1. I use them as a saving device.

I generally start the day with a $20 bill as an allowance for lunch and the papers etc and to pick up milk or bread if needed. At the end of the day I might have anything between $2 an $12 left depending on circumstances the coins sit happily in my pocket (right now I have 3 $2, 2 $1, 3 20c and 1 50c).

At home the change goes into the change bowl next to the phone for minor things (door to door raffle people etc) - I aim for it to hold between $5 and $15. Every now and then when it gets full with small change I take most of it out and put it in the change jar which sits at the back of the pantry. Right now that jar holds around $150 which Mrs D and I will use for a night out soon. We have also used it as a last resort in emergencies (eg we've run out of booze and payday is not for a few days).

This system seems to work quite well.

In the past I have tried those little shovel change purses but felt that I was turning into the sort of prissy old man that hands the coins to the vendor one by one with a a pincer grip and a moue of distate on his compressed lips as he establishes that he is counting out the money very carefully thank you and won't be cheated by any snip of thing barely out of high school. From there its just a hop to tartan driving caps and letters to the editor about impolite young people in the mall and then I'd have to shoot myself as I'd have become my FIL.

Dropbear

--------------------
" The villagers had said justice had been done, and she'd lost patience and told them to go home, then, and pray to whatever gods they believed in that it was never done to them. -- (Terry Pratchett)

Posts: 823 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn:
quote:

Always a good option [Big Grin] .

Another thing to do is remember to use your coin before you break a bill. Easier advice to give than to take but it really does make a difference. And not just where loonies & toonies are concerned. My wallet (for some reason women's wallets seem to provide a fairly roomy space for coins - or at least my wallet does anyhow) can get pretty damn heavy and it's not always thanks to an abundance of $1s & $2s. Damn pennies! But it's really my own fault because I can't be bothered to count out change and instead just keep getting change back.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
birdman
We Three Blings

quote:

Mmm! Actually, I like to keep my rolls of coins until December and cash them in to help defray the cost of Christmas gifts. So with dollar and $2 coins, I'd have a lot more for my end-of-year bonus. [Smile]

-birdman

snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 302 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Coin plan could lead to additional Sacagaweas

The U.S. Mint and the Federal Reserve have more Sacagawea dollar coins than they know what to do with. And they're about to get more.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/2006-11-20-dollar-coin-side_x.htm

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo

quote:
Another thing to do is remember to use your coin before you break a bill. Easier advice to give than to take but it really does make a difference. And not just where loonies & toonies are concerned. My wallet (for some reason women's wallets seem to provide a fairly roomy space for coins - or at least my wallet does anyhow) can get pretty damn heavy and it's not always thanks to an abundance of $1s & $2s. Damn pennies! But it's really my own fault because I can't be bothered to count out change and instead just keep getting change back.

I try to put this into action as well. I never really bring change with me when I first leave my house, but over the course of the day if I amass some change I will try to use it at my next stop. If I don't have an amount that allows me to pay with exact change I will try to use the change I have to get a "rounder" amount of change, i.e. 25 cents change instead of 19 cents, etc. Also, if the total is just under an even dollar amount I'll use change to try to get that extra dollar bill back in the change (for example, if the total is $5.84 and I'm paying with a $10 bill, I could use change so that I get at least $5 back).

I find this to offer much more instant results than letting the change sit in a jar for a few months until I finally get around to rolling it up.

Richard W

quote:
With all of the stuff people carry around nowadays, I wonder when it will become socially acceptable for men to carry purses. Manly purses, of course ("It's a man's bag!"). Last year my dad was complaining about not having enough pockets to easily carry his keys cell phone, police scanner, notepad, glasses, and wallet.

Does "purse" in North American translate to handbag? I've been carrying one for years, for pretty much the reason you want your dad to have one. (I haven't got a police scanner, but as well as the other things on your list I usually have my camera, pens and a book or two in there. Although my keys and wallet are in my pocket.) To prove how secure in my manliness I am, I got my first one in a boutique in Prague, and used it till it pretty much fell apart. And my mum bought me my current one.

Then again I've always been a bit of a trendsetter. I had one before the word "manbag" was even invented.

I never have a problem with change. It's just a question of realising that you can spend the coins on things. It was odder to me in Hawaii where I tended to accumulate a pocket full of change that wasn't worth anything. You would adjust to it pretty quickly.

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
[QB]I guess I see this sort of scenario: I buy an $18 item, pay with $20, get a $2 coin in change. I go to another store, same thing, now I have two large coins to carry. I suppose, at the next store, should I again need an $18 item, I could give them 10 + 5 + 2 + 1, but it's unlikely I'll have all those bills; ATMs only give out twenties, so that's usually what I have.

But then you've still only got 3 $2 coins. Do it again and you can pay with a $10 and 4 coins. Even at it's worst case, you're talking about having 9 coins before you can buy something with just the coins, which isn't a huge amount.

quote:
I guess if they're zipped up in a little wallet pouch that's not so bad, but how much can you fit in there?
I've just done an experiment with my change jar. In my coin pocket I managed to get...

30 * 1p
18 * 2p
14 * 5p
16 * 10p
2 * 20p
5 * £1

..and still have it popped up and my wallet closed easily. And you have to bear in mind that twos and ones are actually pretty bulky. The 2p is bigger and heavier than the 10p, and the 1p is bigger and heavier than the 5p (and not to far from the 20p). Weight-wise, 8 2ps are about the same as a £1, and bulk-wise you're looking at 2 20ps.

Generally speaking, I go shopping every day for bread and the like. When my wallet starts to have the slightest hint of getting a bit full, I empty anything smaller than a 50p into my change jar. I'd say that I do that once a month, or less. It's really not a problem.

--------------------

Pogue Ma-humbug
Happy Christmas (Malls are Open)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pogue Ma-humbug   E-mail Pogue Ma-humbug   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
With all of the stuff people carry around nowadays, I wonder when it will become socially acceptable for men to carry purses. Manly purses, of course ("It's a man's bag!").

Heck, I've carried one around for years. I hate having things in my pocket. With a cell phone, PDA, ipod, glasses, wallet, money clip, etc., i'd be lost without it. And it's got a pocket on the outside in which I carry all my change. So I'm ready for the switch.

Pogue

--------------------
Let's drink to the causes in your life:
Your family, your friends, the union, your wife.

Posts: 11325 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
birdman
We Three Blings

quote:
Originally posted by trollface:
But then you've still only got 3 $2 coins. Do it again and you can pay with a $10 and 4 coins. Even at it's worst case, you're talking about having 9 coins before you can buy something with just the coins, which isn't a huge amount.

I knew someone would say that. [Razz] The only thing is that those three coins, at least in Canada, are huge. I think the toonie looks really cool, but it sure is large. Also, what if that $6 were all dollar coins? Now I have six.

I know it's not impossible to make the adjustment; the point of my posts really was just to show that it's not that hard to end up with $17 in small bills. In dollar coin countries, you apparently use singles differently than I do, so that creates a difference in how much change we carry around.

On the other hand, dollar and $2 coins could help spur the economy, with people going to Tim Horton's to get rid of the damn things! [Wink]

-birdman

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
I knew someone would say that. [Razz] The only thing is that those three coins, at least in Canada, are huge.

Having just looked at Wikipedia, it says that it's just under 3cm in diameter and just under 2mm in width. Obviously our mileage varies as to what constitutes "huge".

quote:
Also, what if that $6 were all dollar coins? Now I have six.
It's highly unlikely, though, isn't it?

quote:
I know it's not impossible to make the adjustment; the point of my posts really was just to show that it's not that hard to end up with $17 in small bills.
But, really, how often do you buy 9 things that cost $18 in a row? It does seem a bit of an extreme example.

quote:
In dollar coin countries, you apparently use singles differently than I do, so that creates a difference in how much change we carry around.
I do think that it's how specifically you describe spending money. I mean you've essentially said that practically the only currency you ever hand over to someone is a $20 note. Which I doubt is amazingly usual, even in America.

--------------------

birdman
We Three Blings

quote:
quote:
Also, what if that $6 were all dollar coins? Now I have six.
It's highly unlikely, though, isn't it?
Not if I go to a bunch of different stores though. I have six ones in my pocket right now, and it's unlikely that I only got $2 from three places. I get a dollar here, a dollar there. I think the difference is that you spend your coins before they have a chance to accumulate, whereas I like to keep my smaller bills to use in places where I can't use anything larger than a five, e.g. vending machines, tips at restaurants.

-birdman

Dactingyl
Anchovy of a 1000 Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dactingyl   E-mail Dactingyl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
From someone who uses pounds coin every day, trust me that the 'huge amount of change' thing very rarely happens. I normally only carry £10-£20 on me in cash and debit card everything else anyway.

Even when I do get loads of change from something like winning on the fruity there's always the bar or next shop willing to change it up for you.

--------------------
Dactingyl is meant to sound a bit like Christingle.

It's not very good but I couldn't think of anything else.

Sorry.

Posts: 257 | From: Hants, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
I think the difference is that you spend your coins before they have a chance to accumulate, whereas I like to keep my smaller bills to use in places where I can't use anything larger than a five, e.g. vending machines, tips at restaurants.

But if you were getting too many for it to be comfortable (and don't forget how many coins I got in my wallet with ease. I reckon you could easily get £20-£30 worth of pound and two pound coins in there before it really became a problem. Hell, I went into town this morning and couldn't tell that I had any coins in my wallet, wheras I actually had 5 nuggets), then why would you still save them, rather than spending them?

It really seems to me that your only objection boils down to being too set in your ways to adapt, rather than there being any real practical problem with using coins.

--------------------

Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

quote:
Hell, I went into town this morning and couldn't tell that I had any coins in my wallet, wheras I actually had 5 nuggets), then why would you still save them, rather than spending them?

You've hit on one of the real benefits of coins for me. I am almost always a little "richer" than I think I am. It's very nice to think I'm broke and then to open my change purse and realise I actually do have enough for that coffee and sandwich after all [Cool] .

--------------------

Canuckistan

Icon 605 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Men's wallets aren't like that in Canada either, or at least most are not. No compartment for change.

Most of the men's wallets I've seen here do have change compartments, but they're pretty useless ones. It's just an extra layer of whatever fabric the wallet is made of with a zipper, with no extra width to it. The man has to dump all of the change out into his hand to get at anything.
I'm somewhere in the middle here. I've seen some with change compartments, but no wallet I've ever had has one. I just keep my change in my pocket -- makes it easier to access when needed.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages