snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Petty Bickering » Not that I approve of vigilantism, but... (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Not that I approve of vigilantism, but...
timbobmc
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbobmc   E-mail timbobmc   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, it's perfectly alright with me if the police tie the kids to a tree and pelt them with paintballs, but I think it would make the original victims feel better if they got to do the paintball pelting instead of the police. The police can be in charge of the tying and untying. Oh, and tie up the parents and let them be pelted, too, since they are ultimately responsible for the illegal acts of their children.

--------------------
Ich bin der Welt abhanden gekommen.

Posts: 536 | From: Gonzales, Louisiana | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The laws are a compromise - ideally, I personally would be the one who decides what the laws are, but since few (or no) other people would agree to that, everyone agrees on a common set of laws.

However, why should I be upset when someone breaks this common set of laws in order to enforce his own personal laws if his laws are closer to my laws than the common set of laws is?

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by timbobmc:
Oh, and tie up the parents and let them be pelted, too, since they are ultimately responsible for the illegal acts of their children.

Is that actually true? What about if your kid is convicted of murder? Do the parents go to jail?

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
timbobmc
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timbobmc   E-mail timbobmc   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sure Christie, get rid of them all. The parents are obviously bad at parentling if they are unable to instill right and wrong in their kids.

--------------------

Posts: 536 | From: Gonzales, Louisiana | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hey, it's perfectly alright with me if the police tie the kids to a tree and pelt them with paintballs, but I think it would make the original victims feel better if they got to do the paintball pelting instead of the police. The police can be in charge of the tying and untying. Oh, and tie up the parents and let them be pelted, too, since they are ultimately responsible for the illegal acts of their children.

And the teachers!

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troodon:
The laws are a compromise - ideally, I personally would be the one who decides what the laws are, but since few (or no) other people would agree to that, everyone agrees on a common set of laws.

However, why should I be upset when someone breaks this common set of laws in order to enforce his own personal laws if his laws are closer to my laws than the common set of laws is?

Because nothing is stopping someone breaking this common set of laws to enforce laws that are a lot further from your own laws than the common set is.

--------------------

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That's why I'm not going out and organizing a protest to get the vigilantes released - they did break the common set of laws and the compromise I agree to is that those who break the common set of laws are punished.

However, I do not consider the vigilantes bad people or their actions morally wrong.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
timbobmc
Jingle Bell Hock

Haven't you heard, Chloe? Teachers aren't allowed to discipline children. That's why the education system in this country is in such bad shape. All I can do to a kid is make him write "meaningful" punish work if he misbehaves in my class or take away his recess. That's it. The PARENTS are responsible for the behavior of their children. I was just hired to teach them music, not how to abide by the law and manners (though I try).

--------------------

Shadowduck
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadowduck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I take it you'd prefer thumbscrews, timbobmc?

--------------------
But of course, I could be wrong.

Posts: 858 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
timbobmc
Jingle Bell Hock

Chloe, I'm going to make a guess about you. You have children who constantly gave their teachers trouble, but you blame it on the teachers or ADD/ ADHD, or bipolarism, or the full moon or anything else besides your own bad parenting and lack of discipline at home. Your children are / were wonderful and the teachers just didn't understand them, right?

Maybe I'm wrong. I hope so, but your comments are telling me otherwise.

Yeah, I have students like that. We finally meet the parents and say, "So THATS why the kid acts that way."

--------------------

DemonWolf

Icon 301 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chloe:
I agree with DemonWolf. Woohoo!

I think I just saw four horsemen ride past my window! [Razz]

--------------------
Friends are like skittles: they come in many colors, and some are fruity!

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
quote:

We're reprieved! I'm getting snippy over in the fetus thread.

--------------------

Lady L
Squall of Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady L   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think Chloe has any children....

--------------------
The Snopester formerly known as RooBug

Posts: 556 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Because nothing is stopping someone breaking this common set of laws to enforce laws that are a lot further from your own laws than the common set is.

Stop it. You're scaring me. I almost posted a similar response.

--------------------

IMJW-052804

Posts: 7224 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Shadowduck

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shadowduck     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Chloe, I'm going to make a guess about you. You have children who constantly gave their teachers trouble, but you blame it on the teachers or ADD/ ADHD, or bipolarism, or the full moon or anything else besides your own bad parenting and lack of discipline at home. Your children are / were wonderful and the teachers just didn't understand them, right?

Yeah, I have students like that. We finally meet the parents and say, "So THATS why the kid acts that way."

Just to get this straight, am I to understand that anyone who doesn't support vigilante justice and corporal punishment must automatically be a bad parent?

Either way, count me in with Chloe and glad to be there - and I can assure you my kids have never received anything but praise from their teachers.

ETA quote

--------------------
But of course, I could be wrong.

Posts: 858 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

quote:

Wow! I have to say that your ability to guess people's home situations is surpassed here only by your compassion and respect for the law.

--------------------

timbobmc
Jingle Bell Hock

No, I'm just NFBSKing with Chloe. If she can't figure out when someone is being sarcastic, she should stick her head in a bucket and leave it there.

I actually have a lot of respect for the law, just not idiots who think they're kids are above the law just because they are they're kids.

--------------------

Lady L
Squall of Me

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady L   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Haven't you heard, Chloe? Teachers aren't allowed to discipline children. That's why the education system in this country is in such bad shape.
For some odd reason, I have a hard time believing this. I would like to think you're being sarcastic.

quote:
All I can do to a kid is make him write "meaningful" punish work if he misbehaves in my class or take away his recess.
Hey, it worked on me and numerous other classmates as a child. What else do you feel would actually work in disciplining children?

quote:
The PARENTS are responsible for the behavior of their children.
Agreed.

--------------------

Posts: 556 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, sarcasm! As in saying the opposite of what we mean? So when you said, " Chloe, I'm going to make a guess about you. You have children who constantly gave their teachers trouble, but you blame it on the teachers or ADD/ ADHD, or bipolarism, or the full moon or anything else besides your own bad parenting and lack of discipline at home," you really meant "you don't have any children," or "you have children but they're well-behaved in school," or "you have children and they're badly-behaved but you don't blame the teachers," right?

A brilliant riposte, indeed! Note to self: master this "being sarcastic" thingy.

--------------------

Dara bhur gCara
As Shepherds Watched Their Flocks Buy Now Pay Later

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dara bhur gCara     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No, I'm just NFBSKSing with Chloe.

I can see you joined quite recently, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt: we don't do that sort of thing here. If you want to hurl unwarranted abuse at people, God knows there are plenty of websites for just that. We're here to talk about stuff, as civilly as possible, not to 'NFBSK' with each other.
quote:
If she can't figure out when someone is being sarcastic, she should stick her head in a bucket and leave it there.
If you can't figure out how to conduct yourself in a public debate....

--------------------
This wrinkle in time, I can't give it no credit, I thought about my space and it really got me down.
Got me so down, I got me a headache, My heart is crammed in my cranium and it still knows how to pound

Posts: 2794 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bug Muldoon
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bug Muldoon   E-mail Bug Muldoon   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No, I'm just NFBSKing with Chloe. If she can't figure out when someone is being sarcastic, she should stick her head in a bucket and leave it there.

You're a pathetic excuse for a human being, an immature pseudo-fascist who doesn't have even the most basic comprehension of the purpose of law.

Now try to figure out if I was being sarcastic or not.

ETA : spanked with far more restraint and finesse by Chloe and Dara.

--------------------
All along the untrodden paths of the future, I can see the footprints of an unseen hand.

Posts: 6912 | From: Flanders | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 301 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DemonWolf:
quote:

We're reprieved! I'm getting snippy over in the fetus thread.
You haven't seen my reply yet!

--------------------

IMJW-052804

abigsmurf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abigsmurf   E-mail abigsmurf   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
um enough of the personal insults and back to the topic on hand?
Posts: 824 | From: England | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Redirect: should parents be held legally responsible for the actions of their children? And for how long?

If your 6-year-old breaks my window with her baseball, you should pay for it.

If your 15-year-old throws paintballs at my house, the kid should clean up.

Where does the line get drawn between parent-responsible-for-child and child-responsible-for-hirself? Do we draw a bright line at age 18, they way we do for voting? Do we draw a bright line earlier for throwing paintballs? Where do we draw it? Are children and parents all similar enough that such lines may be fairly drawn?

Discuss. [Wink]

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 600 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I actually have a lot of respect for the law, just not idiots who think they're kids are above the law just because they are they're kids.

What about idiots who think that they're above the law because someone else did something? For example, an idiot who beleives that he witnessed a crime so now he can do as he pleases with the child that did it?
Like if I saw you parked too close to a fire hydrant, I could steal your keys and throw them down a storm drain?
If you are making too much noise at night, I should cut the power lines to your house?

Who needs the police? We're dishing out justice here!

--------------------

IMJW-052804

DemonWolf

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
Redirect: should parents be held legally responsible for the actions of their children? And for how long?

If your 6-year-old breaks my window with her baseball, you should pay for it.

If your 15-year-old throws paintballs at my house, the kid should clean up.

Where does the line get drawn between parent-responsible-for-child and child-responsible-for-hirself? Do we draw a bright line at age 18, they way we do for voting? Do we draw a bright line earlier for throwing paintballs? Where do we draw it? Are children and parents all similar enough that such lines may be fairly drawn?

Discuss. [Wink]

The parent of a minor is legally responsible to know what his/her child is doing and to teach right from wrong. The parent should make ammend for damages because the child is not likely to have money or to be able to get a job. It also as an incentive for the parent to monitor the child's behavior.
The parent should be free to discipline the child further to ensure there is not a repeat of the behavior.

In this case, the guys should have called either the parents of the police. The kids could be detained (but not driven around aimlessly) if necissary. The parents should have paid to clean up/repair the damage or, even better, made the kids do it. As long as reparations are made.
IMO, only the the parents or the courts should decide what the punishments are. As long as adequate reparations are made and it does not happen again, it is none of the agreived parties business whether the kids "learn their lesson." If it hapens again, the victim can call the police or sue in court.

--------------------

IMJW-052804

Lady L
Squall of Me

Dwolf said it better than I could have.

--------------------

DemonWolf

quote:
Originally posted by RooBug Sammich:
Dwolf said it better than I could have.

Woohoo! I'm on a roll! Usually I phrase everything so poorly that it take the rest of the deay to dig my foot out of my mouth! [Big Grin]

--------------------

IMJW-052804

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, DWolf, but you haven't reallly answered my question.

Should a parent be held legally responsible for a child's acts, as in the parent goes to jail if the kid commits a crime?

This bit here:
quote:
Oh, and tie up the parents and let them be pelted, too, since they are ultimately responsible for the illegal acts of their children.

appears to say that parents should be punished equally with their children.

I happen to disagree quite vehemently with timbobmc on this one, because often it just doesn't matter what kind of example parents set, how strictly they instill values and respect -- sometimes NFBSK kids are going to do stupid-assed things. And often (not always, but plenty often enough) it's the kids who are most stringently taught who rebel the most.

Have you ever heard the phrase "cops' kids and preachers' kids" -- usually spoken with an impatient sigh and much rolling of eyes? I know that when I was a teen, the stricter my parents got the more I rebelled. My parents weren't cops or preachers, just strict; but I dated several guys whose parents were. [Razz]

No one could ever say that my parents didn't do their darndest to instill good values in me, but that doesn't mean I didn't do some incredibly illegal things when I was a teenager. Had I been caught, should my parents have gone to jail along with me? What about the cop's kid: should he have a criminal record and lose his job because his teenaged son broke and entered? What about the preacher's kid who burned down that garage; should his father lose his place in the pulpit and do time for the arson along with his son?

To me it sounds as if timbobmc is advocating such, and I disagree.

That leads to the question of when the parents' legal responsibility ends and the child's begins: the parents are financially responsible for fixing the 6-year-old's broken window, and the parents of the 15-year-old are financially responsible for rebuilding the garage IMO. But should the parents go to jail for either one? No.

Four Kitties

--------------------

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
We had neighbours when we were growing up who had 7 kids. 5 turned out just fine, two have been in and out of Juvvie, then jail, then prison since they were in their teens. They got into drugs in high school and in order to get the money to support their habits they started breaking into houses and helping themselves to the portable, saleable contents. Sadly, they've moved well on in their chosen "careers" since then.

Should their parents have been put in jail whilst their kids were in a Young Offenders facility? Even though it could be demonstrated that they were pillars of the community and were successfully raising their other kids? And that no one was more devastated by their actions than the parents?

I always think of that family whenever I'm tempted (based on nothing more than a headline or two) to condemn the parents of Young Offenders.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
DemonWolf

Icon 500 posted      Profile for DemonWolf     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
Yes, DWolf, but you haven't reallly answered my question.

Should a parent be held legally responsible for a child's acts, as in the parent goes to jail if the kid commits a crime?

There goes my winning streak!

That is a tough question. The age of the child comes into play here. For a child to commit certain crimes below a certain age, there may be a question of criminal neglect.
Lets say that the kids in the OP were 6. I would be outraged that the parents were letting the kids out unsupervised with a paintball marker (even one out of gas)! I would support charges being filed because the parents should have been acting in a more supervisory role and were clearly begligent. If the children were 15, then they knew that what they were doing was wrong and the parents can't possibly be expected to watch them every second.
If a police officer's child took the service weapon and held up a store, then that officer should face disiplinary action for not seruring the weapon out of the child's reach. If the kids obtained his own weapon, then the it is the kid's responsibility. There is only so much that a parent can do.

ETA: to clarify, a parent should only face legal dicipline if the actions or inaction of the parent was directly responsible for the child's behavior.

--------------------

IMJW-052804

Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Nicely put.

Now let's take it a step further in our hypothetical: the parents of the child with the paintball gun and pellets should be held responsible under your scenario, since their actions in giving the stuff to their kid directly contributed, right?

How about the parents of the other two kids, who did not give them such stuff? Are they responsible for their children's actions, and to a lesser or greater degree than the parents of delinquent #1?

Four Kitties

--------------------

Wintermute
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wintermute     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ben Who:
The only people he hasn't attacked are the grown men who forced two underaged kids to strip and then drove them around town.

Interesting how you missed this.
quote:

The behavior of the three men was inappropriate at best.

Ben, it would help if you paid attention. I answered the question with my first statement. The problem is when you try to read something into the statement that is obviously not there.
Posts: 4580 | From: Walnut Creek, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wintermute
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wintermute     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hero_Mike:
Last time I checked, resisting a "citizen's arrest" can be classified as "self-defense".

Depends on your state law. In CA resisting a citizens arrest is against the law. You can use the level of force required to enact the arrest, up to and including deadly force as required. The level of force must be in line with the crime though. You can not shoot someone for littering.
Posts: 4580 | From: Walnut Creek, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Hero_Mike
Happy Holly Days

Icon 602 posted      Profile for Hero_Mike         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wintermute:
quote:
Originally posted by Hero_Mike:
Last time I checked, resisting a "citizen's arrest" can be classified as "self-defense".

Depends on your state law. In CA resisting a citizens arrest is against the law. You can use the level of force required to enact the arrest, up to and including deadly force as required. The level of force must be in line with the crime though. You can not shoot someone for littering.
I'm so glad I don't live in California, else I'd expect you to be putting me in a headlock for spitting on the sidewalk. You'd quickly consult Wintermute's Official Guide to Force vs. Crime and check that a headlock is "appropriate" force for this crime.

You forget a simple point about all of this - make a citizen's arrest and be *wrong* about it - and then what? You felt justified in using deadly force because in your opinion, I looked like the mug shot of a murderer you saw on tv the night before. You could be totally convinced and swear on a stack of holy books and copies of the Constitution that I was the one. But I'm not. And I'm dead. And you shrug your shoulders and think that you did the right thing because it would be worse to do nothing.

Or does there not exist any possibility in your world for you being wrong?

I am confident that I've committed no crime. Should I ever move to the US I will feel compelled to carry a gun to protect myself from attitudes like this.

If you ever try to pull this on someone, I hope that they perform a "citizen's arrest" on you for assault and "false arrest".

--------------------
"The fate of *billions* depends on you! Hahahahaha....sorry." Lord Raiden - Mortal Kombat

Posts: 1587 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages