snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Petty Bickering » Stripping can be lucrative, students told at career day (Page 17)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Stripping can be lucrative, students told at career day
queen of the bah-caramels
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In my early 20's I went to a Teeside pub with a group of work-mates to celibrate a birthday. As it was a FRiday lunchtime said pub had a stripper on.
One of the older patrons asked me to leave as HE felt uncomfortable watching a stripper in the company of a lady young enough to be his daughter.
When I finished laughing , I explained that I was older than the stripper as I had been at the same school as her but as he didn't feel uncomfortable watching some one of his daughter's age removing her clothes ,why did he feel I was a concern??

Never did find out as he finished his drink and left.

PS she was a skank at school.A friend of mine saw her recently and she is an elderly skank now.

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 204 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
queen of the ..., I just looked at your profile. You are 42. You went to school with a stripper you now call an elderly skank, which implies that you consider 42 to be elderly. Oh, great spirit, help me! I must have one foot in the grave. [lol]

I consider my age, 65, to be old, but elderly sounds so much more ancient, like maybe 75-80. Or like my dear friend Margaret, who just died last Sunday at the age of (lacking one week) 94. Just my opinion.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sylvanz
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sylvanz   E-mail Sylvanz   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You know Signora, I don't really like it implied that I'm "elderly" either whether or not I'm considered a "skank." [Roll Eyes]

P&LL, Syl'47 - neither "elderly" or a "skank"'vanz

--------------------
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. — Voltaire

Posts: 1944 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for queen of the bah-caramels   E-mail queen of the bah-caramels   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
[
PS she was a skank at school.A friend of mine saw her recently and she is an elderly skank now. [/QB][/QUOTE]

I need to explain better about this. My freind described the lady in question as an elderly skank meaning she had not aged well.She appears to look on her early sixties but given she has several granchildren , this may not be surprising.

She used to be the type of person who equated being sexually active with being grown-up. That is until her children started poppimg out infants every couple of years. Apparently she has a problem with tghe promescuity of the younger generation.

--------------------
Focus On The Family- An opinion group who think more about Gay Sex than gay people do- Rick Mercer

Posts: 590 | From: Rawdon, Quebec | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago-Threadslayer,Inc.:
[I consider my age, 65, to be old, but elderly sounds so much more ancient, like maybe 75-80. Or like my dear friend Margaret, who just died last Sunday at the age of (lacking one week) 94. Just my opinion. [/QB]

My Grandmother died in 1997 at the age of 98 always found it hard that "the nation's favourite Grandmother" was a year younger than her. Every time the former Queen had a birthday DGM was heasrd to memtion "I had that (age) a year ago".

I always hated theat Elizabeth Queen Consort, Dowager Queen of UK was described as OUR fovourite GM. I had 2 for most of that time and QE was never in the running for my favouite.

--------------------

Jingle Bell Hock

quote:
Originally posted by Sylvanz:
You know Signora, I don't really like it implied that I'm "elderly" either whether or not I'm considered a "skank." [Roll Eyes]

P&LL, Syl'47 - neither "elderly" or a "skank"'vanz

It even worse as she is younger than me by 4 years.

--------------------

Aarspace
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aarspace     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I think, by definition, Stripping is as legit as any career. However, the stigma that goes along with being a Stripper, by name makes it seem "lower" in our society. If there wasn't negatives attached to it, why would Strippers prefer to be called Dancers or Entertainers?

Stripping is like any career, in terms of having those who are smart and well educated. it puts you in a different position (no pun intended) than it would if you were a business woman, for eg.

--------------------
Bob Dole + The Green Lantern = BEST. SUPERHERO. EVER.

Posts: 33 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ace of Sevens

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ace of Sevens   E-mail Ace of Sevens   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
$250,000 Canadian a year has to be a high-end salary. I'm guessing 90th percentile, but otherwise, I'm not seeing the problem, especially since the article implies the students pressed the point.
Posts: 5 | From: Cedar Rapids, IA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
gina

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gina         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My son married a woman who stripps for a living. And I have had to re think my hasty judgement of the job. I love my daughter in law, and what she does to earn a living is not for me to judge or base my opinion of her on. She is smart and bright, and has a beautiful soul....and makes pretty darn good money!

--------------------
gina

Posts: 1 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Awww, your first post on snopes and you use it to praise your DIL. That's sweet.

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe in God...

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A God of love would have put this thread out of its misery months ago.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
callee

Icon 1 posted      Profile for callee         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
dost thou blaspheme snopes?

--------------------
a moment for old friends now estranged, victims of the flux of alliances and changing perceptions. There was something there once, and that something is worth honoring as well. - John Carroll

Posts: 3375 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mistletoey Chloe

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mistletoey Chloe     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
C'mon callee, snopes gives us free will. Thus threads like this are our own fault.

--------------------
~~Ai am in mai prrrrrraime!~~

Posts: 10111 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
btvsrcks
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for btvsrcks   E-mail btvsrcks   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aarspace:
I think, by definition, Stripping is as legit as any career. However, the stigma that goes along with being a Stripper, by name makes it seem "lower" in our society. If there wasn't negatives attached to it, why would Strippers prefer to be called Dancers or Entertainers?

Stripping is like any career, in terms of having those who are smart and well educated. it puts you in a different position (no pun intended) than it would if you were a business woman, for eg.

I'll liven it up. I have known many strippers. My best friend from high school was a stripper. I knew strippers who did it for college money, who did it as a career, who felt forced to do it. The one thing they have in common?

No respect for themselves.

You can attack if you want. But every single stripper I met had a low self esteem. Every.. single.. one.

I am against anything that brings women to an ever lowering point in our society. We have a hard enough time getting respect from employers and other men and the biggest reason is because these type (not just strippers either, but they are in the group) make men think it is OK to think of women as objects and not as actual humans who can contribute to society.

Posts: 69 | From: Renton, WA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 220 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Great googily moogily.

Die, already thread, die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mad Jay
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mad Jay     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it is halloween season. We should expect ghosts from the past to haunt us.

--------------------
Nico Sasha
In between my father's fields;And the citadels of the rule; Lies a no-man's land which I must cross; To find my stolen jewel.

Posts: 4912 | From: VA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 600 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnglRdr:
Great googily moogily.

I know it is bad form to reply only to laugh, but
I. Simply. Cannot. Help. It!
 -

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Signora Del Drago:
quote:
Great googily moogily.

I know it is bad form to reply only to laugh, but
I. Simply. Cannot. Help. It!
 -

I'm right there rolling with you, Signora! Would you believe I read this entire beasty not too long ago? I know, the horror! It was a long day, full of confusion and heartache.

I almost crapped myself when I saw new comments. Bwa ha ha ha ha... [lol]

ETA: Sorry, Angl. I'm doing my part to keep it alive, but I want to be a part of snopes history, dangit!

--------------------
"Are we talking misdemeanor trouble or squeal like a pig trouble?"

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Wicked Tinkerbell
Hock Harold Angel's Bling

Icon 604 posted      Profile for Wicked Tinkerbell   E-mail Wicked Tinkerbell   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Great googily moogily.

Prof. Harry Phineas Block, from the movie Evolution? (I love that saying.)

--------------------
"I'm not Irish, I'm Celtic. The difference? Celts cut off your head and put it on their door lintel." --Aimee Evilpixie
"People are bastard-covered bastards with bastard filling."--Scrubs

Posts: 269 | From: Oregon | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Roadie
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Roadie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
New rule: Anyone who revives a thread in petty bickering gets sentenced to a year of the initiation thread. What'd'ya think?

--------------------
"The little local company I buy from has CHEAP shipping and I have met their goats." (snapdragonfly)

"And that's one lost erection I'll never get back! You hear me Dan! I'm owed an erection!" (I'mNotDedalus)

Posts: 2658 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Canuckistan

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roadie:
New rule: Anyone who revives a thread in petty bickering gets sentenced to a year of the initiation thread. What'd'ya think?

And, to be thread-appropriate, initiations must now take place in a strip club. [Eek!]

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wicked Tinkerbell:
quote:
Great googily moogily.

Prof. Harry Phineas Block, from the movie Evolution? (I love that saying.)
That's the one!

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jay Temple

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Temple     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Hah! I thought it was from the Snickers commercial, where the guy who just wrote "Chefs" in the Kansas City end zone mumbles, "Googly moogly."

--------------------
"Well, it looks we're on our own ... again."--Rev. Lovejoy

Posts: 3572 | From: St. Louis, MO | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oceanic Aura
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oceanic Aura   Author's Homepage   E-mail Oceanic Aura   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does no one know the Zapper? Not that one - the other one.

Cora "yellow snow" Aura

--------------------
"Are we talking misdemeanor trouble or squeal like a pig trouble?"

Posts: 618 | From: Ann Arbor, Michigan | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaime Vargas Sanchez
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaime Vargas Sanchez   E-mail Jaime Vargas Sanchez   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roadie:

You can't help it. Since Petty Bickering seldom gets threads added, this one WILL be on the main forum page, open for all newbies to see, until another one comes.

(And, you know, NOBODY forced you, or me, to open it again. Did we really think anything new would be said?)

Jaime

PS: Have you ever noticed that revived Petty Bickering threads usually go on so civilly that the percentage of bickering usually ends up being LESS than in some regular threads (particularly Soapbox Derby threads)?

--------------------
"Everyone has problems. They only vary in design" - Mama Duck

Posts: 4988 | From: Spain | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SlowThinker
Bone Appétit!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowThinker   E-mail SlowThinker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
Bump, grind your way to riches, students told

Article with a bit more detail.

The stripping and exotic dancing were inappropriate but I think I would have been even less impressed at the fly fishing and the poker. My son would have been delighted, at 13, to be told by an adult, speaking with some apparent authority, that poker would be a perfectly reasonable and realistic career aspiration.

It does sound like he took what was a good idea "find something you love to do" and got just a tad carried away with it.

Sorry to be a pedant, but what's wrong with poker as a career choice? I realise it's risky and not for everyone, but several people (some of whom I count as my friends) make a perfectly reasonable and lucrative living from poker. Indeed I actually make a living wage from the poker I play in my spare time. The world is no longer about the old fashioned 'careers' people used to pick, certainly in the UK there are very few traditional jobs (by which I mean employment in manufacturing etc). People are having to think differently now than they used to in order to make a living and poker is no less viable as a career choice than any other job now.
Posts: 18 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Die! Die! Die, thread, die!

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Alright, come clean, initiators. You're sending the baby snopesters over here to try to reanimate this thread, aren't you?

Strippers are more popular than I thought, I guess.

Hey, SlowThinker. Welcome to the board. A couple of things (well, just one, really, as it will/may prevent you from making this mistake again): it is considered really good form to read the thread in its entirety before posting. That way, when you get to the end of a post like this one, you'll note that it has been trying to die quietly, and was nearly there, until it was poked awake again. I know it can be difficult to do on very long threads like this, but please do try.

I hope you enjoy your stay.

--------------------

Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope the careers adviser gave them some practical advice too, like where to buy their pole...
Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SlowThinker
Bone Appétit!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowThinker   E-mail SlowThinker   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Alright, come clean, initiators. You're sending the baby snopesters over here to try to reanimate this thread, aren't you?

Strippers are more popular than I thought, I guess.

Hey, SlowThinker. Welcome to the board. A couple of things (well, just one, really, as it will/may prevent you from making this mistake again): it is considered really good form to read the thread in its entirety before posting. That way, when you get to the end of a post like this one, you'll note that it has been trying to die quietly, and was nearly there, until it was poked awake again. I know it can be difficult to do on very long threads like this, but please do try.

I hope you enjoy your stay.

I'm sorry I didn't realise the bickering section was an area to send threads to die, I didn't mean to restart any kind of old arguments either.

I did though scan the vast majority of the thread and find no defence of poker, hence my post.

Posts: 18 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

It's where threads we hope will die go. This one just doesn't wish to cooperate. [Wink]

--------------------

I'mNotDedalus

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'mNotDedalus   Author's Homepage   E-mail I'mNotDedalus   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm bettin' it'll live past the two year mark. I mean, c'mon, it has everything you could ever want out of a thread: The laughs, the cries, the loves, the hates, the ups, the downs, the goofs, the gags, the hmms, the haws, the paws, the claws, the dropped jaws, the immaterial sobs, the food, the fans, the fun, the sun, the stars, and Pretty Penny. Plus, you get a free appliance with purchase! Love that snopes browned toast.

--------------------
The salty fragrance of L’Eau D’I’mNotDedalus - made entirely of and entirely for sea turtles.

Posts: 1983 | From: Chicagoland, IL | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SlowThinker:
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
Bump, grind your way to riches, students told

Article with a bit more detail.

The stripping and exotic dancing were inappropriate but I think I would have been even less impressed at the fly fishing and the poker. My son would have been delighted, at 13, to be told by an adult, speaking with some apparent authority, that poker would be a perfectly reasonable and realistic career aspiration.

It does sound like he took what was a good idea "find something you love to do" and got just a tad carried away with it.

Sorry to be a pedant, but what's wrong with poker as a career choice? I realise it's risky and not for everyone, but several people (some of whom I count as my friends) make a perfectly reasonable and lucrative living from poker. Indeed I actually make a living wage from the poker I play in my spare time. The world is no longer about the old fashioned 'careers' people used to pick, certainly in the UK there are very few traditional jobs (by which I mean employment in manufacturing etc). People are having to think differently now than they used to in order to make a living and poker is no less viable as a career choice than any other job now.
Not a choice that should be made at 13 though - or certainly not by most 13 yr old card players. It's a little like telling a 13 yr old that since they love playing computer games there is a great future out there for them testing new games. While true that there are people doing this for a living there are by no means enough positions available for every game loving young teen to realistically aspire to this.

Actually this reminds me of an episode of The Wonder Years where Kevin talks about how he plans to be a major league baseball player one day. As an adult watching that I had to smile ruefully, remembering how I too at 13 thought any career I wanted was just there waiting for me.

At 13 you should be dreaming the impossible dream while still having the adults you trust helping you make some realistic choices as far as your school curriculum goes.

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SlowThinker
Bone Appétit!

Oh I fully agree that an adult, in this case careers teacher should temper the advice given with reason and logic. I don't believe though that there should be any legitimate career choice that is off limit to discussion. If a 13 year old is really interested in that kind of career they should be told just how difficult it is and how unsuccessful the majority of people are. To just fob them off though would be a recipe for disaster.

As a side note a future career in poker would certainly lead to some interesting curriculum choices, maths, psychology etc.

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages