snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Petty Bickering » Stripping can be lucrative, students told at career day (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Stripping can be lucrative, students told at career day
Pretty Penny
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bach_girl:
OK done with this thread- time to move along. GL w/ your job stuff- whatever you end up doing Penny- hope you understand that I was simply asserting my opinions- not making a personal attack against anyone.

So implying that I'm a liar with no self-respect is not a personal attack?
I have no problem with opinions and I have no problem with objectively talking about this issue. Things get heated sometimes and I'm just as guilty as anyone else.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
pinqy's guide to strip clubs. Local laws vary. Styles of clubs vary. I went to one in Boston where the women were all skanks and we didn't bother finishing our $10 bud lights and just left. I went to one in Austin that was very classy and almost elegant. I've been to one in Germany where the place really was a brothel and the strip show was basically a menu. Some places allow all nude shows. Virginia doesn't even allow nipples to show. Some areas forbid alcohol if the show is all nude, some allow it. Within the city limits of Colorado Springs, lap dances and couch dances are forbidden, and tips must be dropped on stage. Outside the city limits lap and couch dances are allowed, and tips handed personally. I've heard of a place in El Paso that did have sexual acts performed, but I've never had that verified.

Rubbing breasts in a man's face is degrading? Well, I guess that's why some girls don't do it...it is their choice. I fail to see how someone voluntarily performing an act of her own free will is degraded.

Here's the thing...the dancers are not selling themselves...they're selling a fantasy. As for your complaints about women being objectified "It's called human nature. Civilization. Culture. Religion. These things (both the good and bad in them) are based on en-masse perpetuated beliefs, customs, ethics, standards, etc."

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pretty Penny

Wow, you must be a very serious drinker.
Jon Up North
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Up North   E-mail Jon Up North   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
SweetyBird:

I'm betting that you have never, once in your life, ever had an actual orgasm. That's the only thing I can think of to explain your very odd world view on the human body. You've never actually had a rogering good enough to make you come, have you?

--------------------
We're not insured for pickles.

Posts: 2358 | From: Fort McMurray, Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy

Icon 24 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pretty Penny:
Wow, you must be a very serious drinker.

I'm Irish descent. There's a rule.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!
Winter Solstice Hanukkah Christmas Kwanzaa & Gurnenthar's Ascendance Are Coming!

Posts: 8671 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Up North:
SweetyBird:

I'm betting that you have never, once in your life, ever had an actual orgasm. That's the only thing I can think of to explain your very odd world view on the human body. You've never actually had a rogering good enough to make you come, have you?

More trolling or do you genuinely believe this can be the only explanation as to why someone might not hold the same opinion you do on stripping?

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
littleshop
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littleshop   E-mail littleshop   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Macheath:
I think for career day at a school they could have left out the stripping/exotic dancing portion. I would have simply created a category called "Entertainment", perhaps listed a couple of examples such as singer or dancer, and left it at that. Clearly the topic is too volatile to treat it as casually as it was in the OP.

This is a perfect solution.
Posts: 483 | From: California | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SweetieBird
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SweetieBird     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
SweetyBird:

OMG! I thought only my hairstylist knew that! How did you know?!

--------------------
"Bad grammar makes me [sic]" -- seen on a t-shirt

Posts: 319 | From: Upstate NY | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pretty Penny

Slow day at work, Sweetie?
Jon Up North

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon Up North   E-mail Jon Up North   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
OMG! I thought only my hairstylist knew that! How did you know?!
Because I can sense the tightness from all the way up here in Canada.

I also bet you were on the phone within 2 seconds of seeing a glimpse of Janet Jackson's nipple.

--------------------

Posts: 2358 | From: Fort McMurray, Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BoKu
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 600 posted      Profile for BoKu   Author's Homepage   E-mail BoKu   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SweetieBird:
...I didn't make it a skanky profession, it just is.

Sorry for exhuming this, but I've always been fascinated by such unqualified absolute statements. To me, it's like saying that "Canada is North" or "Volkswagens are bad." Sometimes it's true, and sometimes it's not; it depends on the relationship between subject and object. I believe that skank, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

I ascribe to the idea that too much of Western rationalist thought is built on the unstable, inverted foundation of absolute truth and relative quality. I believe in the opposite notion, that of absolute quality and relative truth, and gosh darn it, I've got quantum physics backin' me up.

Ever since Aristotle and his cronies turned things over, it's all gone down hill in a morass of pointless, petty bickering over what is good and what is right. Sheesh.

Let's say that you are holding a ball. You expose it to the sunlight of a typical day, and it reflects light primarily in the wavelength of about 520 nanometers.

Is the ball green? When viewed in typical sunlight, it looks so. But does that _make_ it so? You can just as easily expose it to other wavelengths, and it will reflect white or yellow or almost any color of the spectrum. Some wavelengths pass right through it, and yet you probably don't say that the ball is invisible. What color is the ball when it exposed to complete darkness across the entire EM spectrum? It becomes a shore without a wave, and yet you would not say that it does not exist.

Two cars enter a signal-controlled intersection simultaneously at right angles. They collide. What is it that places one driver "in the right" and the other "culpable"? It is their relationship to a beam of light at around 520 nanometers. Truth is all about relationships.

Now, before you go and call me a namby-pamby liberal for denying the notion of absolute truth, let me observe that the ideas of relative truth and absolute quality are very robust, and do everything that people expect of absolution and relation.

A man inflicts harm upon another for personal, material gain. Is it wrong? In the sense that the one has broken the agreed-upon rules of his society, yes, it is wrong. Right and wrong can be assessed upon the basis of mutually agreed rules. Virtually every stable society will have rules about such things. A boy drops a pebble into a pond. Is it wrong? Perhaps in the boy's society, the pond is a sacred artifact, held to be the oracle of a mighty and vindictive deity. A man claims ownership of another man. They both worship the same deity, whom they agree has created all men equal. Is it wrong?

Where does equality and freedom come from, anyway?

Bob K.

Posts: 2079 | From: California | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AliBaba
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 600 posted      Profile for AliBaba   E-mail AliBaba   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jon, I think your point may be a tad too subtle for some folks here.

SweetieBird, if I may ask a question; don't you think it's a little unreasonable for Jon to draw such an outrageous conclusion about someone he's never met based only on what little he knows about her based on her opinion of stripping?

Just asking, just asking.

Ali "he's just g-stringing you along" Baba

Posts: 3068 | From: Kensington, MD | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Oualawouzou
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 98 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I believe that the opposite notion, that of absolute quality and relative truth, and gosh darn it, I've got quantum physics backin' me up.
Oh how I would have loved to borrow this line for a philosophy class work!

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Christie:
quote:
SweetyBird:

More trolling or do you genuinely believe this can be the only explanation as to why someone might not hold the same opinion you do on stripping?
I was going to comment on this, too... then I wasn't, and then Christie reminded me of why I should.

I hate, hate, hate this kind of comment. In addition to being intolerant in its own way (one should be accomodating of those who prefer a lot of sex AND those who prefer a little), isn't it a bit on the sexist side? I mean, very rarely do you see someone say that a guy needs to have a good vagina dive or whatever you want to call it. At least IRL, the only times I've seen it used were by guys who wanted to put an uppity woman in her proper place.

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pretty Penny

I just want to predict that if you entered "skanky"+"Aristotle"+"inverted foundation of absolute truth" into google, that Boku's post would be the only thing that would ever come up.
Pretty Penny

Waffles with a side order of Planck's Constant
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Johnny, took the words right out of my head.

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
hoitoider
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoitoider   E-mail hoitoider   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pinqy:
Virginia doesn't even allow nipples to show.

It depends on the city. In SE Virginia they can't show nipples in Norfolk & Va Beach.

But they can in Chesapeake & Portsmouth. [Smile]

--------------------
No man has a right in America to treat any other man "tolerantly" for tolerance is the assumption of superiority. -Wendell L. Willkie

Posts: 3833 | From: Virginia | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinqy   E-mail pinqy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
You were right Ali, Jon was too subtle.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!

trollface
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trollface   Author's Homepage   E-mail trollface   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Couldn't be bothered to read all of thins, so just commenting on one or two things that I've spied. I might come back at some point, as these train-wrecks are always good, clean, healthy, voyeristic fun.

quote:
Originally posted by DesertRat2:
I have never patronized a prostitute, and never will.

I was once asked by a prostitute if I wanted to have a good time. I said "I'm having one, thanks, dear". Does that count as patronising a prostitute?

Mosh, a skank is a kind of "legs bent" dance, employed mainly in the listening of Dub Reggae. It is also the name of a Zone Fluffy tune. It's also slang for "steal", as in "can I skank a fag off you?" And, in the sense that I think it's being used here, it also means, well, "manky" or "minging" (and not just looks-wise). It's kind of short for "skanky ho".

For the record, I'm another one who has never been to a strip club and probably never will. I say probably never will, because a mate of mine is organising a big lad's holiday to Amsterdam for his 30th, and I'm sure that there will be trips to strip clubs in amongst it all. That said, there will be a girl or two and a mate who is gay, so I might choose to go the art gallerys with them instead.

It's not that I don't like the female form - I'm a very big fan of it, but I don't really see the point in going somewhere to sit with a bunch of men, get somewhat turned on, and then be unable to do anything about it. And I'm not going to go and see a prostitute, as that's totally not me.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with stripping or being a prostitute. Yes, there are some for whom it's a desperate choice, who are skanky and who will die alone and unloved of a herion overdose by the time they're 25. But then there are some who will be essentially retired homeowners with good qualifications, good money in the bank and who will have the ability to do exactly whatever they want for the rest of their lives by the time they are 25. This is something that is dependent on the woman, not the proffession.

--------------------
seriously , everyone on here , just trys to give someone crap about something they do !! , its shitting me to tears.

Posts: 16061 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jon Up North

Indeed.

--------------------

CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Subtlety disguised as outrageous behavior is REALLY hard to detect. But I have to admit, once I got it, I found Jon's point to be a very good one.

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
SweetyBird:

Jon Up North, was that comment really necessary?

As much as I find SweetyBird's views on this topic repugnant, I also find the notion that women who have puritanical views of sex and sexuality are lacking something in their sexual history that makes them repressive. This argument is used by those men who think that women are lesbian because they just haven't found the right man.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
CannonFodder Global Trotter
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CannonFodder Global Trotter   Author's Homepage   E-mail CannonFodder Global Trotter   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Angl, see AliBaba's post. It's up there a bit.

--------------------
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."

Posts: 2776 | From: LSA Anaconda, Iraq | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
pinqy

quote:
As much as I find SweetyBird's views on this topic repugnant, I also find the notion that women who have puritanical views of sex and sexuality are lacking something in their sexual history that makes them repressive.
That was actually his point.

pinqy

--------------------
Don't Forget!

Johnny Slick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Slick   E-mail Johnny Slick   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CannonFodder of the Bride:
Subtlety disguised as outrageous behavior is REALLY hard to detect. But I have to admit, once I got it, I found Jon's point to be a very good one.

Can someone explain it to the peanut gallery, then? I only see two ways of reading it:

1. "You need a hot beef injection, baby, and I am the one to give it to you!"
2. "The libs think you need a hot beef injection, baby, and they're the ones to give it to you!"

--------------------
Give big space to the festive dog that makes sport in roadway. Avoid entanglement of dog with wheel spokes.

Posts: 4267 | From: Seattle | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jon Up North

quote:
Subtlety disguised as outrageous behavior is REALLY hard to detect. But I have to admit, once I got it, I found Jon's point to be a very good one
Thanks Cannon [Smile]

--------------------

Pretty Penny

I actually think that Jon was propositioning her in his own charming kind of way.

Pretty....Nice shoes - Wanna.....Penny

Oualawouzou

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Oualawouzou     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Slick:
quote:
Originally posted by CannonFodder of the Bride:

Can someone explain it to the peanut gallery, then? I only see two ways of reading it:

1. "You need a hot beef injection, baby, and I am the one to give it to you!"
2. "The libs think you need a hot beef injection, baby, and they're the ones to give it to you!"

Check AliBaba's post, just above your previous one.

--------------------
Le champignon arrive.

Posts: 4372 | From: Quebec | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, I get it now.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick

I don't.

--------------------

Christie
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Christie     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Too subtle for me I guess [Wink] .

--------------------
If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation. - Jean Kerr

Posts: 18428 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sara at home

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sara at home   E-mail Sara at home   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Could it be that SweetieBird is making overly simplistic, offensive generalities about strippers and Jon has done the same -- to make a point -- about "prudes"?

Sara "old and doesn't get a lot any more"@home

--------------------
Assume that all my posts will be edited at least once. Dyslexic -- can't spell, can't type, can't proofread.

Posts: 8317 | From: Reading, PA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
nerdymcnerd
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nerdymcnerd   E-mail nerdymcnerd   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I still don't think it's nice, subtle point/trolling or not.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

--------------------
Skunks hate the sound of industry.

Posts: 2723 | From: Geneva, Illinois | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Johnny Slick

quote:
Originally posted by Sara at home:
Could it be that SweetieBird is making overly simplistic, offensive generalities about strippers and Jon has done the same -- to make a point -- about "prudes"?

Nope. That's definitely not it. If it was, I would have gotten it right off the bat. I'm going with the "Jon wants to sexor Sweetie" hypothesis.

--------------------

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  16  17  18   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages