snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Petty Bickering » Reporters Smuggle Knives Onto 14 Airline Flights During Labor Day Weekend (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Reporters Smuggle Knives Onto 14 Airline Flights During Labor Day Weekend
phobia
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so going to regret this, but I really have to tell you Jon, that your irrational and insulting posts are WAY out of line, especially since for the most part, Zen (for once [Wink] ) responded rationally to you! Consider yourself reported.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sparverius, Budgerigar of Fate

Right, Darth, and I'm sure you're looking forward to the chance to blow away the bad guys with the Magnum .347 that you've cleverly stuffed into your pocket. After all, you've watched Bruce Willis and Arnie do it in the movies - how hard can it be?

Of course, I'm sure you're TRAINED in using weapons in hostage situations, and I'm sure you know whether or not your bullet might penetrate the fusillage, causing explosive decompression. And of course, I'm quite sure that you will never get drunk, or really annoyed with the flight attendants, and start causing a dangerous situation yourself with your God-given .347.

Actually, my own belief is anyone believing what YOU'VE just said is completely insane and unsafe to be allowed out in public in the first place. Sorry to be harsh, but this is Petty Bickering.

BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparverius, Budgerigar of Fate:
And of course, I'm quite sure that you will never get drunk, or really annoyed with the flight attendants, and start causing a dangerous situation yourself with your God-given .347.

Actually, I am more worried about you. When you get drunk or annoyed do you normally assault or threaten to assult flight attendants?

If you don't, how does having a gun make someone more likely to do so?

Beach...that line of thought is either not well thought out or....Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sparverius, Budgerigar of Fate

quote:
Originally posted by Beach Life:
Actually, I am more worried about you. When you get drunk or annoyed do you normally assault or threaten to assult flight attendants?

If you don't, how does having a gun make someone more likely to do so?

Beach...that line of thought is either not well thought out or....Life!

No, dear Beach, I've never slugged a flight attendant in my life. I don't think YOUR line of thought is all that well thought out if you believe I've implied that I have.

However, I stand my ground that if someone DOES lose control on an aircraft, as I'm told happens occasionally, it is better that the offender not be armed. It's hard enough for the flight crews to deal with a thrashing drunk - one armed with a knife or a gun would make a bad situation worse.

I presume you've never heard of drunks or lunatics on the ground going beserk with a weapon?

Jon Up North
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jon Up North   E-mail Jon Up North   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I concede that my posts were insulting. Irrational, however, I don't agree.

--------------------
We're not insured for pickles.

Posts: 2358 | From: Fort McMurray, Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Finite Fourier Alchemy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparverius, Budgerigar of Fate:
Of course, I'm sure you're TRAINED in using weapons in hostage situations, and I'm sure you know whether or not your bullet might penetrate the fusillage, causing explosive decompression.

Well, if it's a .357, I can almost assure you the slug will penetrate the fuselage some way or another. A much smaller calibre may or may not - it all depends how many things or people the bullet penetrates first.

In either case, I doubt it's very likely a single projectile can cause explosive decompression. A bullet hole isn't large enough for that much air to escape that quickly. It would have to be an incredibly well-placed shot for it to cause the sort of stress fractures that can lead to bulkhead failure and then explosive decompression.

That said, I don't like the idea of any guns on airplanes unless held by well-trained professionals. Nor do I think pilots should be properly trained for such a thing.

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
phobia

Icon 214 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Just out of curiosity, now that we're so far off topic, how many things or people could a bullet pass through? I assume it depends on the caliber of the gun?

Irrational, Jon, in the sense that ZenKnight was attempting to reply calmly and you STILL called him names and acted like a big baby. That's irrational. I looked back over the posts several times, and I think that in all, you were completely out of proportion to what was said, especially considering that you and ZenKnight were actually making similar comments. Your initial post, in which you first insulted ZK in this thread, was completely uncalled for. It is possible to not agree with someone without beig so very rude. Check out some of the other threads if you don't believe me. I just can't figure out what in ZK's post you were so angry about as to be abusive.

ZenKnight is occasionally rude and abrasive with no real reason, I'll grant you, but this time he was relatively calm. If you have personal issues with him, you should take it up elsewhere.

Jon Up North

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jon Up North   E-mail Jon Up North   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
First off, to suggest that I acted like a baby implies that I had some kind of emotional connection going on here. Truth be known, a thread on a bulliten board is not something I get really excited about.

Now Mr. Phobia, did you decide to announce that you had "Reported Me" in order to pat yourself on the back for being ever so nobel? Or was it that you wanted me to be scared that I'll get in trouble? Really, childish either way. Report me to whomever you want, but announcing it is akin to saying "I'm telling mommy".

[Roll Eyes]

And you don't even appreciate the fine art of insulting ZenZit. [Smile]

--------------------
We're not insured for pickles.

Posts: 2358 | From: Fort McMurray, Alberta | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages