snopes.com Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » SLC Central » Petty Bickering » I'm aghast.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm aghast.
Gus
The Red and the Green Stamps

Icon 16 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gang-rape of teenager ordered as punishment for brother's sins

quote:
A teenage girl was gang-raped in central Pakistan last month as "punishment" meted out by a tribal jury for her brother's alleged affair with a woman of a higher tribe, police said.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Astra
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 87 posted      Profile for Astra     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Sick.
Just plain sick.

--------------------
This has been yet another... USELESS POST.

Posts: 6105 | From: Mississippi | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
june_miller, displaced Acadian

Icon 202 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And these people are our allies. Lovely. [Mad]
Warlok
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Warlok     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by june_miller, displaced Acadian:
And these people are our allies. Lovely. [Mad]

As Barbara would say: "Well, Not quite"
First - this is barberic, gruessome etc and shuld be stopped... but more tot he point. The groups that are doing this are pretty autonomous in the area and the governement (our actual ally) does not have a lot of power to stop them. They are in line right behind the radicals in pakistan who are blowing up buses etc. When the gov't there gets done with that group, then they can try to drag these tribes into the 21st century. This is the same area where neither the govts of Afghanistan or Pakistan have eVEr had much control.

Not sayign our allies are perfect, but I would not say they condone or support this either...

Warlok

--------------------
Inconceivable

Posts: 2755 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
kavakava

Icon 03 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Not that it makes anyone feel better about that situation, but from the article which moved to here
quote:
District police chief Malik Saeed Awan said authorities were informed of the publicly-ordered gang-rape several days after the incident. ...
Awan said police were taking action against members of the Panchayat.
Lawyers visiting the tribal area on Sunday urged the authorities to prosecute the rapists and the jury.

From the article, apparently if the girl hadn't consented all her female family members would have been subjected to the same. [Mad]
bblady

Icon 01 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Today the "New York Times" reported that the girl's 11-year old brother had been sodomized by three tribesmen of the higher-caste Mastoi tribe, who then tried to cover up what they had done by making up the story the boy had had "illict relations" with a woman from their tribe. Local officals and police kept the boy locked up in a cell to prevent him from reporting his attackers.

Yes, you will have to subscribe on-line to read the story, but it is free.

First of Two
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 87 posted      Profile for First of Two   Author's Homepage   E-mail First of Two   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's all remember this when "respecting others' cultural imperatives" comes up again. [Razz]

--------------------
"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for western civilization as it commits suicide." - Jerry Pournelle

Posts: 14567 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kate   E-mail Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by june_miller, the long hot summer:
And these people are our allies. Lovely.

Yes indeed, it would be a dreadful thing to be allies with a country where people break the law, wouldn't it? Seeing that we belong to countries whose citizens are uniformly law-abiding and where gang-rape is unheard of?

The gang rape was a serious offence under Pakistani criminal law. So far twelve people have been arrested, including some of the men who carried out the rape and a policeman who failed to stop it. They face criminal trials and (if found guilty) long terms in prison.

See reports in The Guardian]
The BBC

Kate

Posts: 2451 | From: Hong Kong/Cairns | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
june_miller, the long hot summer

quote:
Originally posted by Kate:
quote:
And these people are our allies. Lovely.

Yes indeed, it would be a dreadful thing to be allies with a country where people break the law, wouldn't it? Seeing that we belong to countries whose citizens are uniformly law-abiding and where gang-rape is unheard of?

Kate

What are you being such a bitch for? I was under the impression that the rape was sanctioned by an official court of law and that is what I was angry about. I was corrected by Warlok and that was the end of it.

Maybe you should try to understand context before you start shooting your mouth off.

Kate
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Kate   E-mail Kate   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What are you being such a bitch for? I was under the impression that the rape was sanctioned by an official court of law and that is what I was angry about. I was corrected by Warlok and that was the end of it.

Maybe you should try to understand context before you start shooting your mouth off.

I think that's the most unpleasant thing anyone's ever addressed to me here. I was sarcastic to you because remarks that assume other cultures or legal systems are inferior annoy me. I didn't know that you'd realised you were wrong about Pakistan.

I'm not sure what you mean about my not "understanding the context": it seems to me you were the one who failed to understand the context of the law and politics of Pakistan.

Kate

Posts: 2451 | From: Hong Kong/Cairns | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jaeger
We Three Blings

Icon 01 posted      Profile for Jaeger   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jaeger   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
Let's all remember this when "respecting others' cultural imperatives" comes up again. [Razz]

And June Miller said
quote:
It's a shame you didn't address the comments to each other, and it's a shame June Miller didn't try to understand the context before shooting her mouth off.

This was a criminal act, and is being treated as such by the authorities in Pakistan. Yes, local officials were involved. That doesn't make it legal or a "cultural imperative", any more than beating up black kids in LA is legal and a cultural imperative just because it's done by police officers.

- Jaeger

Posts: 1158 | From: Singapore | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Well your mean-tempered nasty sarcasm was the worst thing anyone has ever said to me here, so I guess that makes us even. And by context I meant that since I had been corrected already there was no need for you to jump in with your ugly comments. And thinking that I assume all other cultures and legal systems were inferior just shows that you know absolutely nothing about me.
Kiwibird

Icon 500 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well your mean-tempered nasty sarcasm was the worst thing anyone has ever said to me here, so I guess that makes us even.

Ah, so sarcasm justifies your calling her a female dog?

quote:
And by context I meant that since I had been corrected already there was no need for you to jump in with your ugly comments.
Oh, so you've never been corrected more than
once?

quote:

And thinking that I assume all other cultures and legal systems were inferior just shows that you know absolutely nothing about me.

I think this post reveals quite a lot about you,
actually.

I was going to reply to this...and then I decided not to. My problem was with Kate, and I refuse to get drawn into a flame-war with other people who are taking sides. Suffice it to say if she felt the need to correct me (again) she could have done so without spewing sarcasm everywhere.

Since this has been moved to Petty Bickering I will now ignore it and hope it will die.

A Midway Summer Night's Dream

Icon 98 posted            Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nothing personal Kate or June,
I'm just really nfbsk'n happy there's finally a post in the new Petty Bickering! [Big Grin]

Midway "it's been a slow day" Bill

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  New Poll  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages