snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Science » Microwaved food is (apparently) killing all of us!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Microwaved food is (apparently) killing all of us!
Ovalescent
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Bookachow me if you can, I searched the food, science and medical boards and their archives for this but couldn't find it anywhere. This was also accompanied by an e-mail showing pictures of plants dying after being watered with only microwaved purified water, next to plants that were thriving on plain old boiled purified water.

quote:

I have known for years that the problem with microwaved anything is not the radiation people used to worry about, It's how it corrupts the DNA in the food so the body can not recognize it. So the body wraps it in fat cells to protect itself from the dead food or it eliminates it fast. Think of all the Mothers heating up milk in these "Safe" appliances. What about the nurse in Canada that warmed up blood for a transfusion patient and accidentally killed them when the blood went in dead. But the makers say it's safe. But proof is in the pictures of living plants dying.

FORENSIC RESEARCH DOCUMENT

Prepared By: William P. Kopp

A. R. E. C. Research Operations
TO61-7R10/10-77F05
RELEASE PRIORITY: CLASS I ROO1a

Ten Reasons to Throw out your Microwave Oven

>From the conclusions of the Swiss, Russian and German scientific clinical studies, we can no longer ignore the microwave oven sitting in our kitchens. Based on this research, we will conclude this article with the following:

1). Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long term - permanent - brain damage by "shorting out" electrical impulses in the brain [de-polarizing or de-magnetizing the brain tissue].

2). The human body cannot metabolize [break down] the unknown by-products created in microwaved food.

3). Male and female hormone production is shut down and/or altered by continually eating microwaved foods.

4). The effects of microwaved food by-products are residual [long term, permanent] within the human body.

5). Minerals, vitamins, and nutrients of all microwaved food is reduced or altered so that the human body gets little or no benefit, or the human body absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down.

6). The minerals in vegetables are altered into cancerous free radicals when cooked in microwave ovens.

7). Microwaved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths [tumors]. This may explain the rapidly increased rate of colon cancer in America.

8). The prolonged eating of microwaved foods causes cancerous cells to increase in human blood.

9). Continual ingestion of microwaved food causes immune system deficiencies through lymph gland and blood serum alterations.

10). Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence.

Have you tossed out your microwave oven yet? After you throw out your microwave, you can use a toaster oven as a replacement. It works well for most and is nearly as quick. The use of artificial microwave transmissions for subliminal psychological control, a.k.a. "brainwashing", has also been proven. We're attempting to obtain copies of the 1970's Russian research documents and results written by Drs. Luria and Perov specifying their clinical experiments in this area.

The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain PCPPI (Pepsi-Cola Products Philippines, Inc.) Company confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.

If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by return email or telephone +63 (2) 8507901 loc. 390 and delete the original message. Thank you. ithelpdesk@pcppi.com.ph

--------------------
"You're all suffering from trauma because it was so boring in the womb!"

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Pseudo_Croat
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pseudo_Croat   Author's Homepage   E-mail Pseudo_Croat   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
And here I thought that microwaves were just a certain frequency of infrared (heat) wave, and worked on food in the same way. I don't see how any form of heating could cause different effects than any other. Either way, you're still agitating molecules and denaturing proteins.

- Pseudo_Croat

--------------------
"At all events, people who deny the influence of smaller nations should remember that the Croats have the rest of us by the throats." - Norman Davies, Europe: A History

God wants spiritual fruits, not religious nuts.

Posts: 4578 | From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ovalescent

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ovalescent   Author's Homepage   E-mail Ovalescent   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a site with the science project story and images:

http://www.irrob.org/page/page/3386002.htm

And here's a case file for the "microwaved blood" story:

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=4387

--------------------

Posts: 837 | From: Now LIVE from Arkansas! | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
mags
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mags     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
All this time, I thought DNA was what living things used to structure themselves, and instead it's actually what our body uses to "identify" the food we eat!

That's one intelligent digestive system!

And, pardon me if I've totally got my head up my rear, but when did water start having DNA?

Posts: 550 | From: Springboro, OH | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Aussie Girl
Deck the Malls

Icon 27 posted      Profile for Aussie Girl   E-mail Aussie Girl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone else feel like this is a plug for toaster ovens?

Besides, my microwave tells me that toaster ovens are the ones that really cause cancer. [fish]

--------------------
You have just been involved in a drive-by posting.

Posts: 204 | From: CQ, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ovalescent

quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:
And here I thought that microwaves were just a certain frequency of infrared (heat) wave, and worked on food in the same way. I don't see how any form of heating could cause different effects than any other. Either way, you're still agitating molecules and denaturing proteins.

- Pseudo_Croat

Yeah, even for the true "microwaved blood" story, the woman died because the blood was cooked, and broke down, as that's what cooked tissue does.

However, I'm inclined to believe that this is all true, as schoolchildren's science projects are the most infallible form of scientific experimentation.
[fish]

--------------------

csel's in 2nd Grade
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for csel's in 2nd Grade     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Ovalescent:
quote:
And here's a case file for the "microwaved blood" story:

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=4387

In reading the case file, it seems the issue is the temperature of the mircrowaved blood, not that it was "dead". According to the footnote, heating blood in a microwave makes it too hot, which destroys the red blood cells, introducing large amounts of potassium. Add to that the fact that the normal blood warmers weren't working or were too slow, so the hospital staff used the microwave in the nurses' lounge. Lunch, anyone?

This case file is actually not about the case itself but about sanctions leveled against the defendant's attorney by individuals charged originally. The hospital and the individual medical practitioners won the original suit, anyway, so I'd say it proves nothing about the microwave theory.

ETA: spanked by Ovalescent. Ouch.

--------------------
"What is sin? I think sin is failure to grow."
-Lauren Slater, "Prozac Diary"

Posts: 172 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mycroft

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mycroft   E-mail Mycroft   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It certainly looks to me from the experimental photos that the plants are not treated the same, in particular judging by the colour of the soil more water is being applied to the 'microwaved water' plant. It also appears that in the final photos the leaves have not simply died; they have been removed. (In fact the first 3 pairs of photos appear to have been taken at the same time; the only differnce being the first pot rotated through 180 for 'day 3'; day 7 is inconclusive due to the camera angle change then suddenly on day 9 one plant has doubled in size and the other died)
Posts: 135 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
magpie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie   E-mail magpie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Ew, that blood in the microwave is really horrible. I'm surprised I hadn't heard about it earlier, either in factual or UL form. That really makes me shiver to think about, that a nurse could make such a stupid, stupid mistake.
Posts: 439 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld
Let There Be PCs on Earth

Icon 203 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pseudo_Croat:

Well, not exactly. Microwaves aren't infrared (they are beyond infrared) and they don't heat food directly "all over" the way ordinary heating would. They are just the right size of electromagnetic wave to excite water molecules, which then heat other molecules around them. So heating with a microwave can be very different from heating in other ways. Different substances reflect (most metals), are transparent to (most plastics and ceramics), or absorb (water) the microwaves.

ETA Infrared waves are not really "heat waves". It's a common misconception. All electromagnetic waves can transfer energy to objects in the form of heat. It just so happens that infrared waves do it more efficiently than others because (unlike microwaves) many objects absorb them. Also infrared sources can be extremely bright without annoying people.

Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Daniceguy

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Daniceguy     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ovalescent:
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain PCPPI (Pepsi-Cola Products Philippines, Inc.) Company confidential and/or privileged material.

I think it's funny that the memo in the OP supposedly came from Pepsi, since one of the LAST things I would think to microwave is a glass of soda.

Has anyone here tried that experiment? I'd try it except I have no Pepsi (no soda at all) in the house.

If you see cold-fusion I get 30% of the profits!

--------------------
"Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes!"

"No it isn't."

Posts: 171 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rhiandmoi
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rhiandmoi   E-mail Rhiandmoi   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think the memo in question actually came from pepsi, I think that it is the signature of one of the earlier forwarders. My company has a similar "for the intended recipient only" message as a signature on our company emails. You can turn off the signature on personal emails, but not everyone remembers or cares to.

--------------------
I think that hyperbole is the single greatest factor contributing to the decline of society. - My friend Pat.

What is .02 worth?

Posts: 8745 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Singing in the Drizzle
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Singing in the Drizzle     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought this would be about the amount of salt put into microwave foods.
Posts: 597 | From: Bellingham, WA | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ganzfeld:
Microwaves aren't infrared (they are beyond infrared) and they don't heat food directly "all over" the way ordinary heating would. They are just the right size of electromagnetic wave to excite water molecules, which then heat other molecules around them.

In trying to decide if the UL in the OP is merely stupid, or incredibly stupid, I find that I don't know the answer to one question:

If a scientist were given two containers of boiling water, one heated on an old-fashioned conduction stovetop and the other in a microwave, is there any test that would allow him to determine which was which?

I don't know of any. If, in fact, there isn't one (known today, of course) then the UL is incredibly stupid.

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troodon
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troodon     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I wouldn't rule out the possibility that some molecules may absorb microwave radiation and then break down, thus either forming undesireable byproducts or simply becoming unavaliable. Simply heating food (as over a fire) causes this, and it's not implausable to me that the absorption of microwaves will cause undesireable chemical reactions beyond those caused by heat.

--------------------
Fools! You've over-estimated me!

Posts: 3745 | From: New York City | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Rivkah Chaya
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rivkah Chaya     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll bet money the kid heated the stove water in metal, and the microwaved water in plastic or ceramic. I'm not saying this would make a difference-- just pointing out an uncontrolled variable.

BTW: the comment about microwaved food being bad because it's dead cracked me up. And you usually eat live meat? Even if some plant food is alive in a technical way when it comes from the store, I doubt that after it's been boiled or baked it's still alive.

Posts: 75 | From: Bloomington, IN | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
If a scientist were given two containers of boiling water, one heated on an old-fashioned conduction stovetop and the other in a microwave, is there any test that would allow him to determine which was which?

Sure there is: A geiger counter! [lol] (Yes, I'm kidding!)
Posts: 4922 | From: Kyoto, Japan | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ganzfeld

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ganzfeld     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I wanted to add that this fool also thinks the microwaves were responsible for the blood transfusion problems:
http://www.mercola.com/article/microwave/hazards.htm

The problem with microwaves is that, since they form (usually) stable but irregular patterns of microwave radiation (yes, it is radiation -- just as a lightbulb is) within the oven, there is always the possibility of uneven heating and overheating or underheating in one or more places... (sorry, too many science papers has made my English awkward!). That's the biggest danger of microwave ovens: People think of them as regular heating sources but they aren't. So they aren't good for sterilizing things (as we discussed on an earlier thread) and they aren't good for warming blood for transfusions! But for heating food with no uniform heating requirements: why not?

Finite Fourier Alchemy
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Finite Fourier Alchemy   E-mail Finite Fourier Alchemy   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Many traditional modes of cooking partly or entirely cook food via infrared radiation, which is of higher energy than microwaves. If the EM spectrum below UV-vis was capable of promoting non-transient chemical effects - bond breaking, electron ejection, etc. - then a toaster ought to give you a hell of a lot more cancer than a microwave.

But the energies of infrared and microwave are too low for any of that, so they have identical long-term effect on materials - they raise the temperature. Any good or poor effect on the food is solely a result of having a higher temperature. Thus, bonds break, proteins become easier to digest, and, I don't know, maybe you get cancer or something.

quote:

I don't know of any. If, in fact, there isn't one (known today, of course) then the UL is incredibly stupid.

If you want to use directed EM radiation to cause a long-term change in something besides making it hot, you have to step it up to ionizing radiation.

Because microwaves create rapidly-changing magnetic fields that polar molecules can respond to, they can also move electrons around if they're free, as they are in metals, but this won't break bonds. In certain physical arrangements of metals this charge movement can cause discharges, which create a lot of heat. But once the microwaves are turned off, all the electrons evenly distribute themselves again, just like they would if you waved a bar magnet over a piece of metal, magnetizing it, and then removed the magnet.

(I'm not aware of any food product that is a continuous metal, but I think this is an important side-note.)

(With great difficulty I'm holding myself back from writing about radio waves and skin effect.)

--------------------
Thinking about New England / missing old Japan

Posts: 2603 | From: Virginia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Brillo Bee
Wii Three Kings

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brillo Bee     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

2). The human body cannot metabolize [break down] the unknown by-products created in microwaved food.

OK, I know it's weird to pick out one thing from a long list of questionable statements, but this one really bugged me. How exactly, can you tell whether the human body can break down something if you do not know what it is to start with?

Bee

--------------------
People do not wish to appear foolish; to avoid the appearance of foolishness, they are willing to remain actually fools. -Alice Walker

Posts: 335 | From: Minnesota | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Sydde
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydde     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
But you certainly cannot argue with the first question, inasmuch as cerebral polarity is quite evident: I have seen numerous examples of positive and negative people.

--------------------
seemed like a good idea at the time

Posts: 3 | From: Sumner, WA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brillo Bee:
quote:

OK, I know it's weird to pick out one thing from a long list of questionable statements, but this one really bugged me. How exactly, can you tell whether the human body can break down something if you do not know what it is to start with?
Good observation! I wouldn't have caught that.

I'm really weak on chemistry, but if a molecule was so sturdy that we couldn't dissolve it in our stomach acids...wouldn't it just pass right through as inert?

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Four Kitties
Layaway in a Manger

Icon 503 posted      Profile for Four Kitties   E-mail Four Kitties   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm really weak on chemistry, but if a molecule was so sturdy that we couldn't dissolve it in our stomach acids...wouldn't it just pass right through as inert?

Yep. That coin you swallowed as a toddler, for instance. Or corn!

Four Kitties

--------------------
If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

Posts: 13275 | From: Kindergarten World, Massachusetts | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer

quote:
Originally posted by Four Kitties:
quote:

Yep. That coin you swallowed as a toddler, for instance. Or corn!
I swallowed a six-sided die once. I watched for weeks, but never did see what I rolled.

Silas

Sydde
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sydde     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Now that we have strayed well into thread drift, I ran into this hilarity some while back:

the "7" key

Does give an idea as to what is digestible.

--------------------
seemed like a good idea at the time

Posts: 3 | From: Sumner, WA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Ovalescent

quote:
Originally posted by Sydde:
But you certainly cannot argue with the first question, inasmuch as cerebral polarity is quite evident: I have seen numerous examples of positive and negative people.

[fish]

And only 3 posts in! Shameful! [Wink]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages