snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Science » Native Americans and fear of heights

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Native Americans and fear of heights
Gavida
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavida   E-mail Gavida   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not sure if this is the right place to post it, but Science was the one that seemed most fitting:

I had a discussion with some colleagues at work regarding Native Americans and that they are born without fear of heights.
Searching the net revealed different results, some say that it is true for all Native Americans, some sites claim it is only the Mohawks and some sites said that there is no proof that Native Americans do not suffer from fear of heights.

Since I was not able to find a definite answer to the question I decided to ask the all-knowing Snopsters [Big Grin]

Gavida

--------------------
"He looked bigger when I couldn't see him" - Jayne Cobb

Posts: 359 | From: Essen, NRW, Germany | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Floater
Xboxing Day

Icon 500 posted      Profile for Floater   Author's Homepage   E-mail Floater   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The explanation I have read is that Mowaks as a group had the lowest standard of living in the USA and thus had to take dangerous jobs that no one else would have, such as building skyskrapers. This is what gave them a reputation for having no fear of heights.

--------------------
Små hönor skall inte lägga stora ägg för då blir de slarviga i ändan

Posts: 1334 | From: Sweden | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw this one on the Straight Dope.

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gavida
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gavida   E-mail Gavida   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I did read that somewhere as well, Floater. It is one theory among others and still doesn't explain the reputation, since no one says the same about caucasian or black steelworkers that build skyscrapers.

I also read the article on Straight Dope, 1958Fury, but it still isn't definitive, there are two different studies with two different results cited and I am not sure if this "we are scared but don't admit it" really counts as research. Since it was said while they all were drunk it could as well have been some kind of joke or pulling Freilich's leg.

And I am still not sure where to put Freilich, I mean wasn't he the one who said that women's breasts developed when humans learned to walk
upright to interest the men in reproduction by being "fake" buttocks?

Is this "Native Americans have no fear of hights" a mystery that will never be solved? [Smile]

Gavida

--------------------

Posts: 359 | From: Essen, NRW, Germany | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
1958Fury
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1958Fury   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, well, any Native Americans on this board? (I'm about 1/8th Cherokee, but I doubt that's enough to count.)

--------------------
I believe I'm growing skeptical of cynicism.
Myspace NWN Board

Posts: 917 | From: Nashville TN | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
SchmooPie
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SchmooPie   E-mail SchmooPie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here are 2 links.

This one tells a good story about how this started.

This one from the Smithsonian confirms info from the first link.

quote:
“A lot of people think Mohawks aren’t afraid of heights; that’s not true. We have as much fear as the next guy. The difference is that we deal with it better. We also have the experience of the old timers to follow and the responsibility to lead the younger guys. There’s pride in ‘walking iron.’” —Kyle Karonhiaktatie Beauvais (Mohawk, Kahnawake)

--------------------
"Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you."
- C. G. Jung

Posts: 243 | From: Marina del Rey, CA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Chimera
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chimera     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, I never actually thought that was a widely held belief. The only time I heard it was in college. I had an astronomy professor and two friends who were cherokee (ok, right concept wrong tribe) who always made fun of my fear of height. In my last year of astronomy it was the worst since there were 3 professors and only 5 (later four) students and I was the only one terrified of heights (sometimes we were on observation decks or walking outside the obseveratory dome). I was laughed at because "Native Americans didn't have such fears". I was also feed all kinds of BS like them being kin to eagles and such and soaring over lands (with a refernce to things like Native American construction workers as "proof"). I just thought it was light teasing on their part, I didn't realize it actually had a cultural/legend basis behind it. I wish I had known then that most of the "proof" had little to do with the Cherokee. Although to give them the credit they (the people I knew) deserve, they did seem rather comfortable in high places. I on the other hand would be rather disturbed if I had to sit more than 3-4 tiers up on a set of bleachers. Outside the dome I'd be a curled up huddled mass that wanted my mommy. At least if you continue with astronomy long enough you don't actually have to mess with the actual telescopes and stuff very often (you can stay in a nice safe warm room next to it and play with numbers).

--------------------
"The question for joining the protected forum for real magicians should be:

What is the use of women?"
Steve W. from JREF's 'This is no fun'

Posts: 7622 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Gavida
Deck the Malls

Thank you for the links, SchmooPie [Smile]

So I guess the myth came from the better ability to cope with the experience of fear.

Since I kept on searching after posting here I read on a page (sorry that I lost the link) that another aspect is the way the Mohawks walk, putting one foot before the other instead the way "we" walk, putting the feet parallel to each other (again, sorry that I can not describe it better for a lack of proper words, but hopefully you catch the meaning)

Bye,
Gavida

--------------------

Samantha Vimes
Jingle Bell Hock

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samantha Vimes   E-mail Samantha Vimes   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Women are Mohawks?
Posts: 457 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
yugyug
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yugyug   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't remember his name, but one of the best, or the best, free-climbers (rock climbing without a harness) was native american. Until he died from it.

--------------------
yugyug.com
guykeulemans.com

Posts: 11 | From: Tokyo | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Mr. Billion
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Billion   Author's Homepage   E-mail Mr. Billion   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Dan Osman?

--------------------
"For the U.S. to get involved militarily in determining the outcome of the struggle over who's going to govern Iraq strikes me as a classic definition of a quagmire." ~Dick Cheney.

Posts: 747 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages