snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Computers » BSoD used to be red?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BSoD used to be red?
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 81 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: I recently heard that Microsoft's infamous "Blue Screen Of Death"
was originally a Red screen, but after a falling-out with IBM (aka "Big
Blue"), the programmers decided to have a little fun and change it to a
blue screen.

Is there any truth to this?

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope, not according to the guy that coded it.

It was originally black. The reason that Blue was chosen was to distinguish it from a normal boot failure.

Blues "Screen" Scale

ETA more info and fix typo

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
htonl
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for htonl   Author's Homepage   E-mail htonl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Interestingly, there was a red screen of death for boot loader errors in some beta builds of Windows Vista. (wiki cite)

--------------------
Part of the Secular Humanist Conspiracy™ since 1997.

Posts: 35 | From: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BluesScale   E-mail BluesScale   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This is true. I think (but have no cite) that this was changed because some flavours of Linux also had a red screen of death.

Blues

Posts: 207 | From: Woolhampton, Berks, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
htonl
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for htonl   Author's Homepage   E-mail htonl   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BluesScale:
This is true. I think (but have no cite) that this was changed because some flavours of Linux also had a red screen of death.

I'd like to think that I'm something of a Linux expert, and I can honestly say that I've never heard of an RSoD on Linux. When Linux has a kernel panic, it just prints the incomprehensible debugging info to the console and stops; there's no change of screen colour. Perhaps, though, there was an RSoD in some other variety of Unix?

--------------------
Part of the Secular Humanist Conspiracy™ since 1997.

Posts: 35 | From: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BluesScale
Deck the Malls

My apologies. It seems that it is the Sony PSP and PS2 that have red screens of death. I was repeating something heard from a previous trusted source or "the deceased" as they will now be know

Blues

Davros
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Davros   Author's Homepage   E-mail Davros   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A few Years ago(5) i was installing Chinese version of windows 2000 for mrs Davros
and got a few RSoD with audio and modem driver issues

--------------------
Wake up --- time to die
So I'm Evil Get over it

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people

Posts: 1551 | From: NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg
Angels Wii Have Heard on High

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I've used NT since 3.1 (first NT version and first Windows with BSOD) and it has always been blue.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a link to what may be the most disturbing screen saver ever made for windows:

The BSoD screen saver.

I can't run it, my heart stops.

--------------------
Fundamentally Unfundie since 1975

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
MaxKaladin
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MaxKaladin   E-mail MaxKaladin   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abbubmah:
Here is a link to what may be the most disturbing screen saver ever made for windows:

The BSoD screen saver.

I love it! Now I just need to decide if I'm going to send it to a friend of mine. I'm sure he'll love it, but he works in IT as a support person and I'm afraid the temptation to use it and get fired will be too great.
Posts: 716 | From: San Antonio, TX | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
chillas
Coventry Mall Carol

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chillas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously false! I mean, why would they call it the Blue Screen of Death if it was red? Duh!

--------------------
Come on, come on - spin a little tighter
Come on, come on - and the world's a little brighter

Posts: 5595 | From: Columbus, OH : The Soccer Capital of America | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
FullMetal
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FullMetal   E-mail FullMetal   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
The Red Screen of Death, was actually more a Novell thing, Red being novell's colour is also the reason behind that. Blue is also MS's colour.

this could also be where the red screen of death comes from. Novell used that for a long while.

Posts: 153 | From: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Troberg     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Red Screen of Death, was actually more a Novell thing, Red being novell's colour is also the reason behind that. Blue is also MS's colour.

this could also be where the red screen of death comes from. Novell used that for a long while.

You mean it's actually possible to crash a Novell server? I've administered four of them for a decade, and they have not crashed yet. The only thing that stops them is hardware failure or blackouts. Rock solid.

--------------------
/Troberg

Posts: 4360 | From: Borlänge, Sweden | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Raven Waift
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raven Waift   Author's Homepage   E-mail Raven Waift   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by abbubmah:

The BSoD screen saver.

Thank you so very much! I put this on DH's computer- causing me a good half hour of amusement. My poor long-suffering husband would like to say that he hates you though.

--------------------
Whereas as you are dancing happily in the fields of ignorance through which the stream of stupidity bubbles and flows. -BlushingBride
My my space.

Posts: 656 | From: Ohio | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
That scared the heck out of me. [lol] I couldn't stand it very long and pushed the Esc key pretty darned quickly. I couldn't get it to set up as a screen saver, though. How do you do that? I saved it, but it didn't show up in the screensaver menu. Thanks.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman
"Give people a break. It's not easy doing a life."~Joshua Halberstam

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 301 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Waffles. Scary ones.

--------------------
"This air we're breathing. Oxygen, isn't it?"~I’mNotDedalus, impersonating Vincent D’Onofrio.|"Sometimes trying to communicate can be like walking through a minefield."~wanderwoman

Posts: 4020 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Troberg

quote:
I couldn't get it to set up as a screen saver, though.
Should be enough to save it in your System32 directory, under your chosen windows directory (usually Windows, WinNT, Win200 or WinXP).

--------------------
/Troberg

abbubmah

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
It bothers me because I have had SCREEN SAVERS do that. And not intentionally.

Raven, I take no responsibility for any spousal abuse you may receive. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 7942 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Joe Bentley

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Bentley   Author's Homepage   E-mail Joe Bentley   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
In some beta releases of Windows Vista there is a "Red Screen of Death" Image

A "Red Screen of Death" was also possible with boot loader errors in Windows 98.

The Play Station Portable also has "Red Screen of Death"when it encounters a specific type of directy becomes corrupted. Image

For the equivilent to the "Blue Screen of Death" in other operating systems:

"The OS/2 TRAP"

"The Xbox Green Screen of Death"

"Mac OS X Kernal Panic"

"Linux Kernal Panic"

"The Macintosh Sad Mac Icon"

"The Amiga Guru Meditation"

--------------------
"Existence has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long." - Rorschach, The Watchmen

Posts: 8929 | From: Norfolk, Virginia | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
abbubmah

Icon 301 posted      Profile for abbubmah   E-mail abbubmah   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like the problem won't be going away anytime soon, either:

-

--------------------

emperor_genghis_khan
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emperor_genghis_khan   E-mail emperor_genghis_khan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Real funny. What movie is that from?

--------------------
Excuses satisfy only those who offer them. Your enemies won't believe them and your friends don't need them.

Posts: 211 | From: Ponce, Puerto Rico | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Signora Del Drago

Icon 206 posted      Profile for Signora Del Drago     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Troberg:
quote:
I couldn't get it to set up as a screen saver, though.
Should be enough to save it in your System32 directory, under your chosen windows directory (usually Windows, WinNT, Win200 or WinXP).
Sorry to be so long getting back to this, but I forgot about it. Been busy. I had stored it in documents, so I extracted the files and right-clicked on the "SysInternals Bluescreen" icon. In the menu there was an option to test and an option to install. Neat! But still scary.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages