snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Politics » Al Gore, non-environmentalist (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Al Gore, non-environmentalist
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 108 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Comment: Last week my wife and I recently viewed "An Inconvenient Truth"
on DVD. It was an amazing list of dangers to ponder but ones that we think
the average suburbanite and business person NEEDS to know and adapt to
immediately.

We'd like to hear some truth about Gore though. I wouldn't ask you to
verify the presentation statements. What I have heard is that Gore (like
many Hollywood environmentalists) lives a lavish lifestyle driving large
vehicles (not registered in his name to maintain credibility), flies many
places on private chartered full size jet airplanes (not smaller business
jets), and of course large residences.

My complaint about these types is they talk the talk but seldom walk the
walk. How can someone heating and cooling multiple residences, travelling
thousands and thousands of miles every year by air, and so on claim to be
an environmentalist? At one point in the movie Gore drives from Nashville
to his childhood home. As he exits the interstate I notice he's driving a
Lincoln. I have to wonder why he wasn't in a hybrid or some other more
gasoline frugal vehicle just as he preaches.

I want to promote this movie to friends and co-workers but I can't unless
I know Gore is "clean" - I mean living the life of an environmentalist
that he promotes.

My wife and I figure he's used far more gallons of fuel in his lifetime
that our entire family (extended included) a few times over.

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jordashe
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jordashe   E-mail Jordashe   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A more appropriate comparison would be matching Gore's consumption compared with others in his line of work.

I have not heard anything of the sort that he lives a "lavish Hollywood lifestyle"

I also suspect that he's more interested in encouraging industry to push more environmentally responsible vehicles.

Posts: 121 | From: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Silas Sparkhammer
I Saw V-Chips Come Sailing In

Icon 504 posted      Profile for Silas Sparkhammer   Author's Homepage   E-mail Silas Sparkhammer   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
This one has been kicked around some already. The basic fallacy is that it would amount to censorship and a restriction on travel of anyone promoting environmental causes. If they can't fly from city to city to give speeches (using fuel) and can't use broadcast media (consumes electricity) or print media (requires paper, made from chopping down trees) then they can't speak at all.

It is a variant of the fallacy, "If you weren't in Viet Nam, you don't have a right to hold an opinion about the war."

Most of us are sophisticated enough to reject this.

Silas

Posts: 16801 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Tarquin Farquart
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tarquin Farquart   Author's Homepage     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silas Sparkhammer:
This one has been kicked around some already. The basic fallacy is that it would amount to censorship and a restriction on travel of anyone promoting environmental causes. If they can't fly from city to city to give speeches (using fuel) and can't use broadcast media (consumes electricity) or print media (requires paper, made from chopping down trees) then they can't speak at all.

It is a variant of the fallacy, "If you weren't in Viet Nam, you don't have a right to hold an opinion about the war."

Most of us are sophisticated enough to reject this.

Silas

Also the underlying message of the original comments seems to be "Al Gore has probably caused more environmental damage then me, so why should I bother to do anything?"

--------------------
I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen and incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant poisoned electric head. So there!

Posts: 802 | From: London, UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
3rdshifter
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3rdshifter         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Also the underlying message of the original comments seems to be "Al Gore has probably caused more environmental damage then me, so why should I bother to do anything?"

No the message should be one of look at what i am doing to save the envirement. Not Look what you need to do to save the envirement. its natural to expect the person preaching at you to do the right thing. For THEM to do the right thing. Its called leading by example. Otherwise no one would care that the ted haggards and jimmy swagerts and jim bakers didnt practice what they preached. And while im on this subject, why is that a big news story but when someone like Al "the bore" Gore cant practice what he preaches doesnt even make the news but when someone brings up their inconsistancies they are ridiculed and told to shut up that its ok for these people to break the rules because they are special in some strange way. It's like Rosie O'donnel preaching about gun control but her security guards carry them. it tends to give the message that You shouldnt have any right to carry a firearm unless its to protect My sweet a$$.
My reply to Al is Lead by example or step aside and let me by.

Posts: 26 | From: Turlock, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BringTheNoise
Xboxing Day

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BringTheNoise   Author's Homepage   E-mail BringTheNoise   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by 3rdshifter:

What does Al need to do to lead by example? He may well be producing more carbon emissions than I do, but doing more to reduce those emissions. Is that sufficient, or does he have to be the lowest polluter in the world before he can talk about the environment?

--------------------
"The United States Government: significantly less cruel and sadistic than the Taliban." - Dara

Posts: 1289 | From: Aberdeen University, Aberdeen, UK | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
RBCal
Deck the Malls

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RBCal     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"An Inconvenient Truth" on DVD does not come in a large plastic container like every other DVD I own. It is packaged in a card board sleeve.

Also, inside the DVD packaging it states

ten things to do to help stop global warming

change a light
drive less
recycle more
check your tires
use less hot water
avoid products with lots of packaging
adjust your thermostat
plant a tree
turn off electronic devices
be a part of the solution

I have no idea about Gore's houses or personal habits. However, I'm sure he will use less energy in his entire life than we are wasting in a single day of the Iraq war or that Air Force One wastes flying around a turkey.

Edit
Rather than a turkey, I think I should have said "flying around a lame duck"

--------------------
"The women who embraced in the wagon were Adam and Eve crossing a dark cathedral stage—no, Eve and Eve, loving one another as they would not be able to once they ate of the fruit and knew themselves as they truly were." - Lynn Cheney, Sisters.

Posts: 289 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 101 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's like Rosie O'donnel preaching about gun control but her security guards carry them.
Only to those ignorant enough to equate "gun control" with "absolute ban on private ownership of guns."

quote:
Of course, that he might actually be leading by example doesn't factor into your disdain. Better to simply assume the rumor du jour is true whenever it fits your political biases.

- snopes

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by snopes:
quote:
It's like Rosie O'donnel preaching about gun control but her security guards carry them.
Only to those ignorant enough to equate "gun control" with "absolute ban on private ownership of guns."

Like the NRA?

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
OrsonWelles

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OrsonWelles   E-mail OrsonWelles       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Its true that he does fly around in private jets, talking and speaking about global warming and climate change. Of course, he also drives cars (Im assuming here but I think thats safe) and has a house.

I would look more at Gore's arguments then whether or not he actually uses more carbon emissions. Whether or not he is a polluter is irrelevant when it comes to such a controversial topic as global warming.

And before I get flamed, I am not a Republican or Liberal, i think climate change is a big issue but you cannot deny there is debate and concern over the effect of warming. The Earth is undoubtedly going through a period of warming, whether thats man made or not, I dont know.

Plus let me just say, those ten things that Al Gore recommends you do wont do a damn thing. China and India are the biggest polluters in the world, and they are growing and expanding like never before. And they are not signed to the Kyoto protocol, so it will only get worse.

Posts: 17 | From: Canberra, Australia | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
3rdshifter

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 3rdshifter         Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
"Only to those ignorant enough to equate "gun control" with "absolute ban on private ownership of guns."

Well im not ignorant maybe you are because if you have ever heard Rosie preach about gun control that is her idea of it she only wants the cops and military to have them and she has even mentioned she would prefer the cops dont carry them.
Another thing i dont care what Al "the bore" gore drives lives in or who he has sex with as long as he doesnt preach to me about driving a hybrid or hugging a tree or anything else. I said and here is the important part " If he cant lead by example then to step aside and let me by." to interpret for the mentally challenged It means if you want me to drive a small car you need to do the same. It means if you want me to not fly so much in my corporate jet then you need to fly coach like the rest of us. by the way i am leading the example of this as i have only flown 2 times roundtrip in my entire 36 years of life. and when i did fly i flew on full airplanes making use of the entire seating arrangement. Its kinda like carpooling.

Posts: 26 | From: Turlock, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
3rdshifter, do you know what Mr. Gore drives?

And please do mind the name-calling. It really doesn't help bolster your argument.

--------------------
"When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty."--George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 19266 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
3rdshifter

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2006-08-09-gore-green_x.htm

Actually according to this article it says he drives a Hybrid doesnt say what kind though but lets just say i believe him im not the one who brought up the fact that he was driving a Lincoln in his movie. (which i will admit i havent watched) nor was i the one that stated and i quote "lives a lavish lifestyle driving large
vehicles (not registered in his name to maintain credibility), flies many
places on private chartered full size jet airplanes (not smaller business
jets), and of course large residences." I might point out a couple of those are substantiated in the article i linked above. And lastly im not the one who started the "name-calling" It was Snopes who said "Only to those ignorant enough to equate "gun control" with "absolute ban on private ownership of guns." So therefore dont lecture me on name calling or anything else as i have admited I dont care for Al "Sore Loserman" Gore and i dont care to be preached at about what i could do to save the envirement when the one preaching has done less than me. I have changed lights in my house to compact flourescents and i have also reduced the amount of roadtrips i take in my Mid size Pickup truck that i also use in my vending Buisness see i need a pickup to transport the vending machines ive found they dont fit in any trunk of any hybrid vehicle. im even all for exploring alternative fuels and hybrid vehicles. I however cant afford a Hybrid right now as the car manufactures dont make enough of them to make the prices reasonable for me. Like i said thes are a few of the things i have done or support to help make the planet a better place. Oh one other thing i live in a house of just under 1100 square feet thats 2900 square feet less than al gores smallest home mentioned in the article. so Mr. Gore and the rest of you Gore supporters I say again Lead by example or get out of my way!

Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a difference between calling someone "ignorant" and "mentally challenged". also, your attitude in general has been extremely aggressive.

I would question just how eco-friendly Gore is. some things - e.g. his flying a lot, or needing to drive - are just about forgiveable if he's doing them to promote ecological causes. however: does he *really* need to fly privately, rather than get a regular plane?

I don't really follow the attitude which some seem to have that unless you live in an unheated tree 12 months a year eating nothing but free-fallen fruit then your views on ecological issues are invalid. however, there's a difference between costs that are largely unavoidable, and costs which are due to supporting a lifestyle which could easily be cut back.

if Gore falls into the latter category, it doesn't invalidate what he's saying; however, it DOES make people less likely to listen to him, and by extension, those saying things similar to him.

--------------------
Hello, I love you - won't you tell me your name?
Hello! I'm good for nothing - will you love me just the same?

Greetings from the dark side...

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
3rdshifter

Let me state now that i have watched the entire movie on youtube it was posted in 10 segments and i watched them all. I do find it interesting that as he preaches he doesnt practice. Just a few of note. The car he rides in and the car he drives are not any better than what i drive. Then there are the planes he rides in and the places he has gone. On top of all that he is campaigning not for a better envirement but for president. He plays a clip about the Florida debacle and then you here a sound bite about how he doesnt agree with the courts decission but he accepts it. Yet in one part he states he used to be the next president. He talks about the prior administration and by prior he means the prior Bush Sr. administration and how they screwed things up he makes a brief statement about his administration and yes by his i mean Clintons administration but does not mention the numerous things they did to put in place to save the earth. I wonder if thats because they did nothing also. Then he mentions that the atmosphere is thickening and causeing the global warming. Yet just Back about 20 years ago the atmosphere was thinnning and getting holes in it does anyone remember this? It was the ozone layer that later on in the movie he is proud to say we the united states were the leaders in saving and helping to restore. But now doesnt that mean we are contributing to global warming? i know the ozone layer is not the entire atmosphere but its part of it and im just pointing out that if its not one crisis its another and i remember being told how we were all going to die in a few short years if we didnt save the ozone layer. Now we are being told if we dont stop global warming we will all die in a few short years. Please stop with the scare tactics as its getting really old. Oh one other thing The Grand Canyon was created over thousands of years by erosion by Water and ice and wind i find this much more troubling as should you i mean the colorado river has cut through the earths surface and will eventually cut it in HALF!!! hmmmm no thats not scary enough i will never get your attention that way oh wait aminute ive got it The colorado river has eroded the earth surface creating the grand canyon this beautiful place will be destroyed in (pick the number of years lets just say 20 for arguments sake) because by then it will have eroded the earth to its core thus opening up HELL and all the DEMONS and FIRE which will destroy the grand canyon and everything close by and then the heat will expand outward eventually COOKING EVERYONE TO A CRISP!!!!! yeah that should do it. So if you think the planets warm now just wait till that happens.
3rdshifter

Johny T im sorry if "mentally challenged" was name calling i cant keep up with all the political correct terms for DumbA$$. I guess that would be aggressive so if you could please provide me with the proper words id be glad to be your puppet! Yeah im the aggressive one because i dont follow the views listed on this board yet i have stated what i have done and what i support to help save the earth. I have also pointed out already that Mr. Gore does not need the 3 homes he owns nor do they need to be the size they are. My family of 5 gets along fine in our 1100 square foot house. im sure 10,000 square feet would be more than enough to fit 4 or 5 families. So yes Mr. gore does not practice what he preaches. And i have never said he needs to live in an unheated tree for 12 months out of a year i have said if you are going to tell me about global warming and tell me i need to change my ways the best possible way to do that would be to PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH. thats it if you want alternative fuel cars to become a mainstay you need to promote them by driving them especially in a movie you are making to promote saving the earth. Its really not complicated at all if you and the rest of the posters who have taken their best shot at me on this board cant figure out what i mean when i say HE NEEDS to PRACTICE WHAT HE PREACHES then you fit into the catagory of being mentally challenged and if that offends you again Im Sorry but if you put words into my mouth or my posts which i made no mention of then theres not much i can say or do. I was trying to merely point out that the first post had some valid questions in it but far be it from me to question any of your majesties. i mean all i am is a lowly peasant who in your world would be locked up for speaking a different view than you have.
Lainie
Ding Dong! Merrily on High Definition TV

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
3rdshifter: You write long posts with no punctuation or capitalizations or paragraphs and then when other people don't understand you it's because THEY are MENTALLY CHALLENGED ha ha the joke is on you.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Zachary Fizz
Markdown, the Herald Angels Sing

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zachary Fizz     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Jonny T, I agree with your thoughts on Mr Gore. Regarding the private flights, I suppose you can justify a private jet on ecological grounds if you are able to demonstrate that it is more efficient to use one than a scheduled flight. For example, for getting between locations which have no direct flights, and which currently involve long and unnecessary trips on scheduled airlines. Most users of private charters would think about the economic and time aspects, but I imagine that the ecological case is not too dissimilar.
Posts: 2370 | From: Arabia | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Richard W

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Richard W   E-mail Richard W   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
3rdShifter said:
Yet just Back about 20 years ago the atmosphere was thinnning and getting holes in it does anyone remember this? It was the ozone layer that later on in the movie he is proud to say we the united states were the leaders in saving and helping to restore. But now doesnt that mean we are contributing to global warming?

You're confusing two separate issues here - the ozone layer is still "thinning" and has a big hole over Antarctica. Ozone absorbs ultraviolet light; the lack of ozone in the upper atmosphere can increase the risk of skin cancer.

The reason this is now less of an issue than global warming (to those who can only handle one issue at a time, anyway) is that many of the measures that people needed to take to help reduce this effect were taken, at least in the West. There's no need to campaign in the West to cut people's use of CFCs in fridges and aerosols, or industry use, any more because fridges and aerosols in the West no longer use the chemicals that were damaging the ozone layer.

Global warming is (at least partly) caused by an increasing proportion of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere as a whole. This creates the "greenhouse effect".

There are other activities that damage ozone, and flying is one of them. But since a reduction in flights is also one of the things that helps to reduce carbon emissions, global warming tends to become the "main" reason for asking people to fly less.

In principle it would be quite possible to have a warmer "greenhouse" world where we all get skin cancer because there's no ozone layer left, though.

Posts: 8725 | From: Ipswich - the UK's 9th Best Place to Sleep! | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jonny T   Author's Homepage   E-mail Jonny T   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
3rdshifter, does it occur to you that maybe the reason they're not talking about the ozone as much now is because people DID take action, DID make changes and DID do things to tackle the problem? Your attitude is akin to "They had us all terrified about that serial murderer, then they caught him and now they're on about some other guy, it's always something". well....yeah.

you say Al Gore should practice what he preaches. nobody here seems to be seriously disagreeing with you on that - you really think anybody would be *against* his cutting down his carbon emissions? Let me put it succinctly:

1. Al Gore is not the environmental movement. His behaviour cannot, and should not, be taken to represent environmentalism as a whole.

2. Simply because he doesn't have a picture-perfect eco-friendly lifestyle - ie simply because he is a hypocrite - does not in any way invalidate or discount the points he is making.

3. Gore being a hypocrite does not mean climate change is not happening. (I think our own Silas once summarised it as "There's no such thing as climate change, Al Gore lives in a big house" or somesuch)

it does sound like you're living an extremely low-carbon life, and for that I have nothing but respect. however, you ARE being needlessly confrontational.

I'm not denying that Gore could use to cut back on the carbon emissions. I just don't really care that much.

---

Zachary: with regards to the private jet, part of my concern is firstly, does he only use the jet (assuming he has one or has access to one - not sure how accurate this is to begin with...) when there isn't an alternative, or is it his first option? second, does he only use it for long distance? and third, is every journey *really* necessary anyway, given technologies such as web conferencing?

I don't tend to go for the moralistic "personal purity" form of politics (not to say individual lifestyle choices aren't important, just that those on their own are not enough and I don't begrudge someone the odd slip). That said, someone in Gore's position IS directly responsible for a larger amount of carbon than most of us, both individually (he travels a lot, has several houses, etc.) and through the potential for influencing others on his social level (think how much flying is done by the super-rich as compared to the rest of society).

- Jonathan

--------------------

Posts: 2731 | From: York/Reading, England | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
christmas tree kitapper
It Came Upon a Midnight Clearance

Icon 1 posted      Profile for christmas tree kitapper     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by OrsonWelles:

Plus let me just say, those ten things that Al Gore recommends you do wont do a damn thing. China and India are the biggest polluters in the world, and they are growing and expanding like never before. And they are not signed to the Kyoto protocol, so it will only get worse.

I went to a talk at U of A recently on the economic impact of global warming given by a professor in (I think) the business school and he had some nifty slides; one of which showed that the US's carbon dioxide emissions are #1 or #2; don't remember which, although they are going to be passed soon by China.

Unless of course I am totally misremembering the slide, in which case, oopsie.

The saddest thing about the talk, as my dad pointed out, is that most of the people in the audience were 50 and over; the younger generation- who will have to deal more with global warming, were in the minority.

--------------------
"I have never in my life been more disappointed by a politician I voted for than I have been with George Bush. He is a total liberal."- overheard by me on the shuttle to the U of A game on Nov. 11th.

Posts: 3878 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

quote:
"of course I can beat my kids, you KILLED yours!"

yes, if the USA in isolation cut down its emissions it wouldn't immediately reduce climate change (tho it would be a very good start). I've not met a single environmentalist who sees this as anything other than a global problem requiring global solutions. however - no sarcasm please - who's more likely to listen to protest groups based in the US, working in the US, with access to US media, US politicians, and US citizens - the US, or China?

of course China and India and everywhere else needs to reduce carbon; the fact that they haven't (yet) is not a reason nor an excuse to ignore problems at home.

--------------------

AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

quote:
Johny T im sorry if "mentally challenged" was name calling i cant keep up with all the political correct terms for DumbA$$. I guess that would be aggressive so if you could please provide me with the proper words id be glad to be your puppet! Yeah im the aggressive one because i dont follow the views listed on this board yet i have stated what i have done and what i support to help save the earth. I have also pointed out already that Mr. Gore does not need the 3 homes he owns nor do they need to be the size they are. My family of 5 gets along fine in our 1100 square foot house. im sure 10,000 square feet would be more than enough to fit 4 or 5 families. So yes Mr. gore does not practice what he preaches. And i have never said he needs to live in an unheated tree for 12 months out of a year i have said if you are going to tell me about global warming and tell me i need to change my ways the best possible way to do that would be to PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH. thats it if you want alternative fuel cars to become a mainstay you need to promote them by driving them especially in a movie you are making to promote saving the earth. Its really not complicated at all if you and the rest of the posters who have taken their best shot at me on this board cant figure out what i mean when i say HE NEEDS to PRACTICE WHAT HE PREACHES then you fit into the catagory of being mentally challenged and if that offends you again Im Sorry but if you put words into my mouth or my posts which i made no mention of then theres not much i can say or do. I was trying to merely point out that the first post had some valid questions in it but far be it from me to question any of your majesties. i mean all i am is a lowly peasant who in your world would be locked up for speaking a different view than you have.

Hey, thanks for cutting back on that name-calling, 3rd Shifter.

You are obviously a stand up fellow, who has some anger issues he needs to deal with.

--------------------

3rdshifter

Richard W .... No im not confusing two different issues the Ozone layer is part of the stratophere and currently is a part of the whole atmosphere. Which in the movie Al says the atmosphere is getting thicker. Then later on in the movie Al claims that the ozone layer is fixed or very close to it. Which is true in this article

it clearly states that the Ozone layer will be completly repaired by 2050 and at the latest 2100. So yes the ozone layer is almost fixed in the huge realm of things i mean 94 years is not a very long time. However im not the one who made the claim that the ozone layer was fixed it was Mr.Gore in his movie.

Now Johny T :
I never said Al Gore was the enviremental movement. Nor did i say because hes a hypocrite what hes saying doesnt hold water as an argument. What I did say was practice what you preach. Its quite simple really. My whole point is if Al Gore is as extremely concerned about this issue which he claims in the movie he is and has been since his early college days then you would think he would at least be practiceing a little of what he preaches. So far all i can find that he has done is plant a tree or two to help counteract his exorbitant lifestyle. For this i am shameing him just as he is trying to shame the rest of the world to do their part in this current "Crisis" and the fact that you "just don't really care that much" is troubleing.

Methuselah
Happy Holly Days

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Methuselah     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Folks...feeding trolls is not a good idea. It only encourages them to return for more.

--------------------
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 1514 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Jonny T
Little Sales Drummer Boy

Methuselah, if you suspect someone of trolling, report their post. calling them out on it is quite rude and not particularly useful.

3rdshifter, what exactly is "troubling" about my not giving much of a toss about Al Gore one way or the other? he made a movie, got a lot of information out, and isn't necessarily following his own advice particularly well. how is this a big deal?

--------------------

Malruhn
The "Was on Sale" Song

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Malruhn   E-mail Malruhn   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Though crudely written, 3rd shifter has a point about doubting the veracity of the messenger.

One would certainly not want to listen to Jeffrey Dahmer when he says, "Don't eat people." Likewise Keith Richards (Rolling Stones) when he says, "Owkjh brthfbdy grawliskness." (translated: "Don't smoke or do drugs.") It's like printing a million pamphlets to hand out to tell people to not kill trees.

Johnny T, it was me, not Silas that had started a thread about Gore living in an uber-mansion... sorry, had to come clean.

If Gore is "wasting" biofuels, then his message is suspect when he tells US not to waste biofuels.

I think, however, that he is USING lots of biofuels in his quest to get everyone to USE less... kinda like yelling at people to be quiet. If you WANT to see it as quasi-oxymoronic, then he is a waster and is wasting our time. If you WANT to see him as the beneficial crusader that HAS to use as much as he does to get the message out, then he is a boon to society.

I'll wait to cast stones at this one. I won't defend him, but I won't jump on the, "Burn the witch!" bandwagon quite yet.

--------------------
Opinions aren't excuses to remain ignorant about subjects, nor are they excuses to never examine one's beliefs & prejudices...

Babies are like tattoos. You see other peoples' & they're cool, but yours is never as good & you can't get rid of it.

Posts: 5622 | From: Jax, Florida | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
AnglsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr

However, he's made up his mind absent actual proof.

--------------------

Canuckistan

Icon 05 posted      Profile for Canuckistan   E-mail Canuckistan   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malruhn:
One would certainly not want to listen to Jeffrey Dahmer when he says, "Don't eat people." Likewise Keith Richards (Rolling Stones) when he says, "Owkjh brthfbdy grawliskness." (translated: "Don't smoke or do drugs.") It's like printing a million pamphlets to hand out to tell people to not kill trees.

So if Dahmer told you not to eat people, you would simply because he told you to? And you'd do drugs just because Keith Richards told you not to? [Confused]

Al Gore may not be practising what he preaches; but that's quite irrelevant as to whether what he preaches is what we should do.

--------------------
People need to stop appropriating Jesus as their reason for behaving badly. It's so irritating. (Avril)

Posts: 8429 | From: New York run by the Swiss (Toronto) | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
I have to look at what Gore's goals are. If he wants to make some global changes to help the planet, then one would expect he needs to get a few more people agreeing with him. Sure, he obviously is doing something, and it's certainly enough to get those that already agree with him to defend him.

But, he is not doing enough to win over the skeptics amongst us. I don't think anyone is askig him to live in a shack and never use fuel. But living in a more modest house, designed to save energy would be a start. Using green energy from the power companies would help as well.

Hybrid vehicles are good, but they don't use any less fuel than my Toyota Corolla. His bigger issue would be air travel. Commercial air travel might be inconvienent, but the day I sat down next to Al Gore in an airplane might just be the day I start listening.

Al can try to get some of the rest of us on board or try having a go at it with the people already following. The first is prefereable, as the second would require more sacrafices from the few people which I don't see as happening. Though I have to admit that if I saw the average 'environmentalist' consumer living a life less consumptive than my own, that would be a good start.

Beach...aren't we supposed to be talking about destroying the planet here...Life

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
OrsonWelles

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OrsonWelles   E-mail OrsonWelles       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Johnny T, sorry if I didnt make my point clear. My point isnt that America shouldnt do anything about climate change simply because China and India arent. My point is that turning off your lights wont help, neither will using less hot water. Industry account for more carbon emissions that citizens, and that is where the problem is.

Plus, if you think China and India are going to cut back on their emissions, slowing their rapid economic growth, simply because America says they have to...

Posts: 17 | From: Canberra, Australia | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
3rdshifter

Johny T the reason i find it troubleing that you dont care what Al gore does is that you made it sound like you dont care if someone is telling you to do something yet they cant follow their own advice just sounded like you would follow anyone wether or not they were doing what they asked you to do.

Malruhn : thank you for at least saying i had a point maybe i dont post my thoughts in a way that is easy to understand im fairly new here and i may be a bit green on my posting skills.

AnjlsWeHvHrdOnHiRdr: you say "he's made up his mind absent actual proof." What have i made up my mind about absent proof? I have found in many articles and news stories one of which i linked to that he has two homes one at about 10,000 square feet and the other at 4000. It even states he has another home but i have not found the square footage of that one so therefore i have not commented on it. I conceded the fact that he does supposedly drive a Hybrid vehicle although no mention of the Make/Model or year is mentioned. I did say however in the movie he is not driving one and to me if its an enviremental movie you might want to do a little self promotion of what you are doing to save the envirement you want my help in saveing. And anything else i have hit him up on was either qouted from his movie or was stated as fact in the movie.

Beachlife: Your point "the day I sat down next to Al Gore in an airplane might just be the day I start listening." I agree with totally. He also would be able to reach more people flying commercially as he would have a captive audience he could share his views with. I would even engage him in a conversation about this very topic if he was sitting next to me and maybe then i wouldnt have to ask so many questions as i could ask him directly.

To the rest of the board if i have offended you in any way i would like to apologise this was not my intent as my understanding was that this board was for discussing politics. But after my first post i was attacked or had words put in my mouth which were not true.And i felt it was nessecarry to clear up the issues.

jw
The First USA Noel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jw     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother is a delegate in Friends of the earth. They hold global conferences every year and the delegates have to get there somehow. Does this negate their message too? I don't know much about Gore's own private usage, but it strikes me that he's trying to say the right things.

--------------------
On my old guitar sell tickets, so someone can finally pick it.

Posts: 799 | From: Dublin, Ireland | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Lainie

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lainie   E-mail Lainie   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Malruhn : thank you for at least saying i had a point maybe i dont post my thoughts in a way that is easy to understand im fairly new here and i may be a bit green on my posting skills.

There's really no such thing as special posting skills on this board. Just use standard capitalization and break your sentences up into paragraphs. It makes it easier for other people to read what you've written.

--------------------
How homophobic do you have to be to have penguin gaydar? - Lewis Black

Posts: 8322 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
BeachLife
The Bills of St. Mary's

Icon 211 posted      Profile for BeachLife   Author's Homepage   E-mail BeachLife   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jw:
My brother is a delegate in Friends of the earth. They hold global conferences every year and the delegates have to get there somehow. Does this negate their message too? ....

All depends on how they get there. If they all fly in on private jets, I'm not so impressed. If they take the train, it's a whole different story. But again, they can do what ever they want, and say what ever they want.

Beach...now if they want me to listen...Life!

--------------------
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Jack Dragon, On Being a Dragon
Confessions of a Dragon's scribe
Diary of my Heart Surgery

Posts: 12094 | From: Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages