snopes.com Post new topic  Post a reply
search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hello snopes.com » Urban Legends » Politics » Lower pump prices fuel political conspiracy theories

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lower pump prices fuel political conspiracy theories
snopes
Return! Return! Return!

Icon 18 posted      Profile for snopes   Author's Homepage   E-mail snopes       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
A notable percentage of Americans believe that the recent plunge in gasoline prices has more to do with November voting than with the price of oil and other market forces.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-conspiracy6nov06,1,3460939.story

Posts: 36029 | From: Admin | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
educatedindian
I Saw Three Shipments

Icon 1 posted      Profile for educatedindian     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Gee, wherever would people get such ideas?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/05/18/politics/main618269.shtml

Found another website of archived stories that had similar stories. One of the papers that originally published these stories was...the LA Times.

How dare people remember, or worse, actually believe what the Times said in the news section only a few months ago.

http://www.iraqtimeline.com/apr04.html (In the middle of entries for April 2.)

I have a problem with the condescending elitist tone of the article. The author slapped the "conspiracy" label on where it's not at all warranted. The poll itself never used the word. Most people, such as myself, hearing the question would probably have used terms like "process" or "a politician acting out of self interest," not conspiracy. Nothing grandiose or cloak and dagger, just one rich leader asking another for a minor favor.

Bush himself publicly said in 2000 that he would use his influence with Saudis who were old friends of the family to lower prices. How dare people believe him. And in 2004 he and Kerry both talked many times about the possibility again.

The Times author sounds extremely naive, and frankly not very knowledgable. Contrary to the kind of fantasy world that free market fundamentalists wishes existed, govts can and do influence prices all the time. Esp in Saudi Arabia.

Having said this, I haven't seen any evidence that Bush and the Saudi dynasty actually did lower prices to help the GOP. But it's quite reasonable to wonder if they might have. It's incredibly naive to claim the principals involved would not have done such a thing, and ignorant to claim it can't be done while invoking the mythical "free market."

Posts: 69 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
LittleDuck
Happy Xmas (Warranty Is Over)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleDuck   E-mail LittleDuck   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually the gas prices here have gone up a bit (about ten cents/gallon at most places) in the past week or so.

--------------------
"Silly customer, you cannot hurt a Twinkie." -Apu (The Simpsons)

Posts: 2026 | From: 10 miles South of Boston | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas
I'll Be Home for After Christmas Sales

Icon 1 posted      Profile for I'm Dreaming of a White Canvas     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, but now the election's over.

--------------------
"You hold the Prince so I can duct tape his bottom to keep the bugs out." - My Mom

Posts: 193 | From: The Fabulous Finger Lakes, New York | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Class Bravo
We Wish You a Merry Giftmas

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Class Bravo     Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LittleDuck:
Actually the gas prices here have gone up a bit (about ten cents/gallon at most places) in the past week or so.

Same thing here, and probably the same thing all over the country on account of the holiday.
Posts: 918 | From: Southern CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator
Bad Company
I'm Dreaming of a White Sale

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bad Company   E-mail Bad Company   Send new private message       Edit/Delete post   Reply with quote 
Every summer prices go up as demand goes up. Labor day is usually the apex. Then the prices go down as demand goes down. Every other year, a batch of dingalings (the ones out of the whitehouse) claim "conspiracy". It's funny when the other guys do it. It's embarrasing when my guys do it.
Posts: 24 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post new topic  Post a reply Close topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Urban Legends Reference Pages